What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (6 Viewers)

I don't think he can be franchised again.  Isn't there a 2 year limit?  Or is it just that the 3rd year franchise is so ridiculously expensive no one ever does it?
The latter. BUT ... if Bell doesn't report in 2018, he loses an entire accrued year and can be franchised next year once again at the 2nd-year rate.

Wait, he has until tomorrow to report? I thought it was next week? 
He needs to play 6 games to accrue a season. If he shows tomorrow, the Steelers will almost definitely apply the two week roster exemption for him to get into football shape, thus missing the Thursday night game this week and then Sunday the 18th vs. the Jags. That would leave 6 games for him to play.

So unless he works something out where they won't apply the exemption, or only for one week, he might as well not bother showing at all if he doesn't show by tomorrow.

He needs to play 6 games to accrue a season. If he shows tomorrow, the Steelers will almost definitely apply the two week roster exemption for him to get into football shape, thus missing the Thursday night game this week and then Sunday the 18th vs. the Jags. That would leave 6 games for him to play.

So unless he works something out where they won't apply the exemption, or only for one week, he might as well not bother showing at all if he doesn't show by tomorrow.
Wow, please don't show up Lev!!!

I think he'll show up... I mean nobody is that stupid, right?

I don't think anyone has a clue what his plan is, and that includes Bell himself. He is just winging it.
To my knowledge he has said exactly nothing about his plan since "fake news".

Rational people have been speculating that accruing a season will be sufficiently important to him to report. Is it? Who knows? At this point we're just stuck in a loop of asking questions and repeating "factlets", assumptions and platitudes.

:shrug:

The six game thing and the roster exemption seem pretty cut and dry, so taking those into account means he needs to show tomorrow.
He doesn't need to accrue a season to become a FA next year.  He would have been a FA THIS year if he hadn't been tagged.

Season accrual is a non-issue.  He's got his seasons in already.

Perhaps he doesn't care if he accrues the season or not. Do you think the Steelers are going to want this circus next year? They can franchise him and have to account for the cap space IF he did sign and report to the team. That's a lot of money left unused for a player that may not show up. If he doesn't report, sits out the year, the team can choose not to franchise tag him and get the comp pick. OR they could tag him to trade him (hoping for similar return that they would get from a comp pick), allowing Le'Veon to negotiate a contract with a new team. However, if they don't work something out, they would have to rescind the tag if they wanted him gone, which means no comp pick. 

He needs to play 6 games to accrue a season.
Bell doesn't need to play six games -- he merely needs to report the Tuesday before the Steelers' 11th game. The November 13th date is based on that. The two-week roster exemption doesn't come into play one way or the other.

He doesn't need to accrue a season to become a FA next year.  He would have been a FA THIS year if he hadn't been tagged.

Gotcha I guess the roster exemption is really a non-issue then, except for the money they would save. I was misinformed @fantasycurse42

He has to report and sign by the 13th or else he will be ineligible to play the remainder of the NFL season.

If he does report and sign, then next year the Steelers would have the option to tag him at the year 3 rate (the ~$25M QB rate).

If he does not report and sign, then next year the Steelers would have the option to tag him at the year 2 rate, again (~$14.5M).

That's my understanding.

Your first two sentences are correct, but I wouldn't say that season accrual is a non-issue for Bell. If he doesn't accrue 2018, the Steelers can tag him at $14.5 million a second time next season. If Bell does accrue 2018, the Steelers would have to either tag him at the quarterback rate (average of top 5 QBs ... $25 million?) or decline to tag him and let Bell enter free agency.

Your first two sentences are correct, but I wouldn't say that season accrual is a non-issue for Bell. If he doesn't accrue 2018, the Steelers can tag him at $14.5 million a second time next season. If Bell does accrue 2018, the Steelers would have to either tag him at the quarterback rate (average of top 5 QBs ... $25 million?) or decline to tag him and let Bell enter free agency.
"Accrued Season" has a specific meaning and definition under the CBA.  You need 6 games on the roster to have an Accrued Season.

The language around the tag rules is a bit different.  You just need to sign and report by the deadline to increment up to the next tag level the following season.  Doesn't matter how many games you're actually on the roster, so long as you sign the tag by the deadline.

Again, as I understand it.

Bell doesn't need to play six games -- he merely needs to report the Tuesday before the Steelers' 11th game. The November 13th date is based on that. The two-week roster exemption doesn't come into play one way or the other.
Thanks! So he has until next Tuesday, and if he isn't there by then, Conner owners can rest easy knowing he won't be in the mix moving forward?

Or put another way, it's conceivable that Bell could fall short of the 6 games necessary to gain an Accrued Season under the CBA, but still increment up to the year 3 tag.

And if the Steelers use the 2-week exemption on him this is probably exactly what will happen (assuming he reports signs on/around the 13th).

"Accrued Season" has a specific meaning and definition under the CBA.  You need 6 games on the roster to have an Accrued Season.

The language around the tag rules is a bit different.  You just need to sign and report by the deadline to increment up to the next tag level the following season.  Doesn't matter how many games you're actually on the roster, so long as you sign the tag by the deadline.

Again, as I understand it.
My understanding as well.

Da Guru said:
Another theory is that Bell is waiting to have a clean drug test. Bell fails another and he is gone for a year.
I think it was reported up thread that he no longer is in the program. Take that with a grain of salt - something to do with his negotiation of the previous infraction he remained in step whatever and have been clean since and for long enough to leave the program, resetting everything

Last edited by a moderator:
babydemon90 said:
Raiders?  He'd make sense, but if they wanted a star with big $$, they'd have kept Mack.  
No way Bell commands near the amount of dough Mack took home from CHI (and he's reportedly not even asking for close that)

But Raiders are probably not looking to spend too much for winning until they get to Vegas

Committee in week 11.   Owning Conner was fun while it lasted.  I’m sure Alex Collins can fill the gap.  Should be good.  No worries at all.  

yeah, that sure seems like he is reporting this week.  it's a short week for PIT with the Thu game, so likely the 2 week exemption.

He has to play in 6 games or the Steelers can Franchise him for the exact same amount next year. If he's active for 6 games then the value of the franchise tag jumps a ton and isn't realistic.

He HAS to sign the tag by week 11 or he has to sit out all year, that's the rule of the franchise tag. There would be 7 games left, so if he wasn't exempt, then he could play 6 games then skip the last game and playoffs.

BUT, the Steelers are expected to put him on the exempt list for 2 weeks. He does not get credit for those weeks or paid (pending negotiations) so if he shows up week 11, and is exempt for 2 weeks, then he might only play 5 games and not gain a year and be Franchised again for the same amount. Not sure what happens if he plays 5 reg and 1 playoff or something.

Everyone thinks he could show up this week because the trade deadline will pass and then even if he's exempt 2 weeks he'll still get enough games to be free of the tag next year.

It's a complex situation made moreso because no one has a clue what to expect from Leveon, we're in uncharted territory here. My guess is that he shows up this week or next and is put on the exempt list, he can fight it but his only recourse is to sit out the whole year. With how Conner is playing, I doubt the Steelers would tag Leveon again next year, but if Conner gets some crazy injury you never know, so sitting out the entire year is more risky to Leveon than showing up soon. Unless he's ok with sitting 2 years. 

TLDR: His options are:

1. Report now.
  2. Report after trade deadline.
  3. Report any time before Franchise Deadline.
  4. Don't report.
Options 3 and 4 leave open the possibility of being tagged again next year if put on the exempt list for 2 games. 
bump for others that may have not seen this

Committee in week 11. Owning Conner was fun while it lasted.
This is probably a reason I could never be an NFL coach. To me, while yeah ... it's a business (c'mon, really a "business" in air quotes!) ... I'd take Bell's actions personally. He wouldn't be welcomed back to his old role as if nothing had ever happened. Conner would remain the bellcow and Bell would be used for occasional breathers, nothing more. Yeah, get your six games and shove on out of here.

From ESPN today:

The collective bargaining agreement mandates that any player on a contract or on a tender must report by the Tuesday after the 10th week of the season if he wants to play that year.

But one source pointed out to ESPN that it "doesn't make any sense for [Bell] to play now."

"If he doesn't want to play for $14.5 million, why would he want to play for $5 million?" the source told ESPN, referring to the prorated balance remaining on Bell's $14.5 million franchise tender.

Bell told ESPN in early October that he is staying away to preserve his long-term health for his next contract but intends to play football this season. Bell has been working out in Miami this season, but on Monday he tweeted "Fairwell Miami" without further explanation.

Bell said the Steelers told him they plan to place the transition tag on him this offseason, and a source confirmed to ESPN that the tag would be worth approximately $9 million to $10 million.

The transition tag would allow Bell to negotiate with other teams and allow the Steelers to match any offer. If the Steelers match, regardless of the offer, Bell would have to sign that deal with Pittsburgh.

Bell does not have to report to the Steelers by a certain date to get an accrued season to become eligible for free agency, contrary to what ESPN and others previously reported. Bell already has played the four-plus seasons he needs to become a free agent after the season.

ThaPenguin said:
If they trade him, I don't think they would get a comp pick, just whatever they get in the trade. I don't know this for a fact, but wouldn't make sense for them to trade him and still get a comp pick.

They didn't receive one call about him leading up to the deadline, I can't imagine it would all of a sudden start ringing in the offseason, when free agents and draft is available. I would vote for letting him walk, hope for a comp pick, and use that money on other free agents, or to pay Ben or Conner.
No, they wouldn't get a comp pick for trading him. My point was, if they trade him they could get a pick. Then they could sign Free Agents without worrying about losing that comp pick. So, if they lost Bell in free agency, but signed 2 free agents, they wouldn't get a compensation pick at all. 

Bell does not have to report to the Steelers by a certain date to get an accrued season to become eligible for free agency, contrary to what ESPN and others previously reported.
Weird thing for ESPN Today to write. The importance of the accrued season is not to become eligible for free agency. The importance is to prevent the Steelers from being able to franchise-tag Bell at $14.5 million a second time in 2019.

Weird thing for ESPN Today to write. The importance of the accrued season is not to become eligible for free agency. The importance is to prevent the Steelers from being able to franchise-tag Bell at $14.5 million a second time in 2019.
Article confused me as well, for this exact reason. 

I've been dreading this day for a while, but expect him to sign tomorrow or Wednesday. Hopefully he comes back, looks awful, and gets the Conner 2017 role. 

We just talked about this. He doesn't need an Accrued Season, (ie 6 games on the roster) to avoid the same tag next year.

He just needs to sign the franchise tag by Nov 13th to avoid the same tag next year. At that point it doesn't matter how many games he spends on the roster.

We just talked about this. He doesn't need an Accrued Season, (ie 6 games on the roster) to avoid the same tag next year.

He just needs to sign the franchise tag by Nov 13th to avoid the same tag next year. At that point it doesn't matter how many games he spends on the roster.
You're right -- I'm conflating (a) signing the tender with (b) making six games on the roster . That article mentioning the accrued-season stuff, therefore, makes even less sense.

Okay, since we all have our predictions, I'll throw mine into the ring.

Bell arrives at the Pittsburgh airport later today. Upon arrival, he is greeted by angry Steelers fans, who begin throwing tomatoes at him. He argues with a man in defense, but when questioned by police, an illegal substance falls from his pocket. He is then arrested and suspended for 1 year and Conner goes for 2,500 from scrimmage and 30 TDs this year. 

Or you know, they're both RB2s, either or. 

Here's the other thing from that article, though:

Bell said the Steelers told him they plan to place the transition tag on him this offseason, and a source confirmed to ESPN that the tag would be worth approximately $9 million to $10 million.
If they're going to transition tag him, why would he play this year?  He'd be getting to negotiate his contract and Steelers would have to match to keep him.  That's what he wants, right?  Why would the Steelers do this?  If they don't match what he gets offered, they get no compensation?  Why not just franchise tag him again?

Here's the other thing from that article, though:

If they're going to transition tag him, why would he play this year?  He'd be getting to negotiate his contract and Steelers would have to match to keep him.  That's what he wants, right?  Why would the Steelers do this?  If they don't match what he gets offered, they get no compensation?  Why not just franchise tag him again?
I have the same doubts about that information that you do. I wonder if that article is just some agent-leaked damage-control attempt. The article is just kind of all over the place.

Okay, since we all have our predictions, I'll throw mine into the ring.

Bell arrives at the Pittsburg airport later today. Upon arrival, he is greeted by angry Steelers fans, who begin throwing tomatoes at him. He argues with a man in defense, but when questioned by police, an illegal substance falls from his pocket. He is then arrested and suspended for 1 year and Conner goes for 2,500 from scrimmage and 30 TDs this year. 

Or you know, they're both RB2s, either or. 
So you're saying he's so high that he flies to Pittsburg instead of Pittsburgh?

I have the same doubts about that information that you do. I wonder if that article is just some agent-leaked damage-control attempt. The article is just kind of all over the place.
I think what they meant is that even if he reports by November 13, they can still use the transition tag.   

I just wish I could think of something funny to post.......   should head out to I95 and see if I can follow him back up north.

It's been interesting following this thread.

Conner already has 189 touches in 2018.

That's 378 for the season for those who's counting.

Bell in 2017 had 406 touches.

Yes if Bell comes back he will play.

Even a 50/50 split would be worth starting both backs as a flex.

It doesn’t have to do with an accrued season though.  

Users who are viewing this thread