Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Le'Veon Bell rushed five times for 22 yards in the Chiefs' Week 12 win over the Bucs.

Bell caught both of his targets for 10 yards in the passing game. Clyde Edwards-Helaire out-touched Bell 12-7, but neither was a factor with Patrick Mahomes throwing for 462 yards and three scores. Bell hasn't been a fantasy asset at all since signing with the Chiefs. He's been far more of a drain on CEH.

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman
  • Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No skin in this game (not a Steelers fan, barely own Bell/Conner anywhere).... I have no problem whatsoever with what he did.  I'm glad he did it.  He didn't "holdout".  He wasn't under contract.

Oh yeah. Now I remember why I avoided this thread for ONE HUNDRED FIFTY EIGHT pages.

DeAngelo Williams 2015 7 games as starter: 876YFS / 27rec / 8TDs James Conner in 3 games this year: 342YFS / 15rec / 3TD Of course Bell is a better back than DW or JC is.  But, ignoring

Le'Veon Bell rushed 11 times for 40 yards and caught 2-of-3 targets for 15 yards in Week 13 against the Broncos.

Bell was the lead back with Clyde Edwards-Helaire sitting out. He out-touched Darrel Williams (6), who got most of his carries running out the clock in the fourth quarter. Bell didn't put any heat on Edwards-Helaire with his performance, failing to convert two chances at the goal-line in the second quarter. He'll go back to a low-volume No. 2 role when Edwards-Helaire returns next week.

Dec 7, 2020, 12:00 AM ET

Le'Veon Bell rushed twice for 21 yards in the Chiefs' Week 14 win against the Dolphins, adding two catches for 14 yards. 

Bell tweeted after the game that he was "so confused" in what could be in reference to the Federal Reserve refusing to raise interest rates or his usage in KC's offense. Bell was coming off an 11-carry game against the Broncos, but that was without Clyde Edwards-Helaire, who missed the game with a stomach illness. CEH saw 21 touches against the Dolphins. Bell is nothing more than a bench stash for the season's final weeks.

- Rotoworld

• 3 weeks later...

Le'Veon Bell (knee) did not practice Wednesday.

Clyde Edwards-Helaire (ankle) also remained out of practice. In CEH's first game out last week, Bell was actually out-touched 14-8 by Darrel Williams, suggesting the Chiefs aren't going to be committing to Bell should Edwards-Helaire need to miss playoff games. We could see a lot of Darwin Thompson this week against the Chargers with the Chiefs resting all their key starters.

Dec 30, 2020, 8:57 PM ET

LE'VEON BELL RB, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Chiefs RB Le'Veon Bell (knee) will be active but RB Darwin Thompson will see "the bulk of the carries" in Week 17 against the Chargers.

Rapoport didn't mention RB Darrel Williams but given that he did say Thompson would be getting the bulk of the carries, it's safe to assume Williams will be a non-factor for Week 17. Clyde Edwards-Helaire is out with a groin injury and could be sidelined for multiple weeks so the Chiefs will likely take a cautious approach with the use of his backups in a meaningless game. Thompson is a low-end RB3 because of his expected volume but all of that comes with the caveat that his offense will be helmed by Chad Henne this week.

RELATED: 

Darrel Williams

, Darwin Thompson

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jan 3, 2021, 8:35 AM ET

• 3 weeks later...

So a dynasty drop with no hesitation for Bell this offseason or *maybe* he'd have a shot at some meaningful playing time if he signs with somehwere like Miami?  At this point I'm still holding but I hate roster cloggers and he seems to have transformed into that. Gurley feels like he's in the same boat... my how the mighty fall. 

24 minutes ago, foxco said:

So a dynasty drop with no hesitation for Bell this offseason or *maybe* he'd have a shot at some meaningful playing time if he signs with somehwere like Miami? 

Depends on league roster size but when you look at his time in KC, and 3 games specifically, it's very hard to build a legit case that a change of scenery would do him good. Put another way what situation could he go where it would compare to those 3 games I mentioned when he played on an offense as good as the Chiefs and his stiffest comp for touches was a RB the quality of Darell Williams?

Those 3 games are the two games that CHE missed and the game he was active but did not play.

Bell's PPR fantasy production those games: 7.5, 4.9 and .6

Really as someone who owns Bell I'm just glad I got those few games sample size so I could fully see that he's done. I in fact would not be surprised if does not play again.

• Like 3

Le'Veon Bell was held out of Thursday's practice after experiencing swelling in his knee. 

Bell was absent from Wednesday's injury report, but that is when the swelling began. He is now on the wrong side of questionable for Sunday's AFC title tilt with the Bills, but even if Bell was healthy, he was going to have a small role. That is even if Clyde Edwards-Helaire (ankle, hip) remains sidelined. Regardless of what happens going forward this week, Bell cannot be trusted in DFS. 

Looking for a RB in DFS?: Check out the lineup optimizer, salary tracker and projections with our exclusive DFS Tools, which you can get by purchasing the EDGE⁺ Max premium package.

SOURCE: Sam McDowell on Twitter 

Jan 21, 2021, 2:43 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Chiefs RB Le'Veon Bell (knee, questionable) is not expected to play in the Conference Championship game against the Bills.

Even with Clyde Edwards-Helaire out, Bell was relegated to backup duties last week. He saw just two carries on 11 snaps and was unable to convert on any of his three targets. Darrel Williams logged 13 carries and four targets. With Bell out, there should be enough touches in the Kansas City backfield for both Williams and CEH to have fantasy-relevant roles. The split between the two will be indecipherable until kickoff but both are viable DFS plays in tournaments.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jan 24, 2021, 9:06 AM ET

Le'Veon Bell (knee) is inactive for the AFC Championship Game against the Bills. 

With Clyde Edwards-Helaire (hip, ankle) returning, Bell wasn't going to be a part of the game plan, anyways. In his absence, Darrel Williams will split snaps and touches with CEH. 

Jan 24, 2021, 5:20 PM ET

• 2 weeks later...

Le'Veon Bell said he signed with the Chiefs in October because he wouldn't get a significant workload. 

Bell said he seriously considered signing with the Dolphins but wanted "to go somewhere where I can still have my body and still help the team win." In Miami, Bell figured he'd see far more touches than in KC's loaded offense. "That’s what separated the Dolphins and the Chiefs. I felt like if I went to the Dolphins, I would have done a little more," Bell added. "It’s hard even trying to explain it. But it was real close between the Dolphins, Bills and Chiefs.” It's a revealing comment -- one that shows an abnormal sense of how much work the aging running back can handle. In KC, Bell has started two games and rushed for 254 yards and two touchdowns on 64 carries. He'll be third in the team's backfield pecking order this Sunday against Tampa. 

RELATED: 

Clyde Edwards-Helaire

, Darrel Williams

SOURCE: MiamiHerald.com 

Feb 2, 2021, 10:57 AM ET

Le'Veon was never the most diplomatically savvy sort of guy, was he? He figured he'd get less work, huh? Hoo baby, back up the Brinks truck to sign this guy next year.

He's cooked. He was cooked when he sat out the year and signed with the Jets. Frank Gore flat out beat him out for the job.

Makes you wonder. These guys that opted out -- and I have nothing but sympathy for them so this isn't a loaded question to be a jerk -- are they going to be able to come back even if they want? I mean, take C.J. Mosely. It is assumed that he will step into the Jets starting MLB position next year, yet he hasn't played a down in two years. He can't be in football shape. I'm thinking of the Pats defense, etc., in addition to this. I think we're going to be in for a rude awakening for some guys next year, if the year isn't still marred by COVID complications. 

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 2
12 hours ago, rockaction said:

Le'Veon was never the most diplomatically savvy sort of guy, was he? He figured he'd get less work, huh? Hoo baby, back up the Brinks truck to sign this guy next year.

He's cooked. He was cooked when he sat out the year and signed with the Jets. Frank Gore flat out beat him out for the job.

Makes you wonder. These guys that opted out -- and I have nothing but sympathy for them so this isn't a loaded question to be a jerk -- are they going to be able to come back even if they want? I mean, take C.J. Mosely. It is assumed that he will step into the Jets starting MLB position next year, yet he hasn't played a down in two years. He can't be in football shape. I'm thinking of the Pats defense, etc., in addition to this. I think we're going to be in for a rude awakening for some guys next year, if the year isn't still marred by COVID complications. 

One person's "fresh legs" is another person's "rust". In other words, these perceptions tend to be more bias-confirming than anything. Put me in the camp that you don't simply step away from the game and then step back in without some degradation of physical skills or mental "edge".

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

He got what he wanted: Paid.

It is amazing to think his and Gurley's careers are already over.

I get this, but in the end, I think (and I don't fully know the numbers) that he got paid his guarantees, but if he'd stuck with the Steelers and been paid that year he sat out, he would have made more with roster bonus-oriented contract than he did with the Jets guarantee.

Some guys really love the game.

Others play because it's a high paying job.

I can't really begrudge the latter type. It's not me putting my physical well being on the line for the entertainment of others. 

But if you accept the paycheck you should at least try to earn it.

4 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Others play because it's a high paying job.

I have a suspicion that those guys don't last or don't get noticed for great play. I guess for every Walter Payton there's an Eric Dickerson yelling "pay me," but it seems to me that even Dickerson loved the game to an extent.

That's not to quibble with you -- I agree with you -- that's just a thought that ran through my head when I was reading what you were saying.

It's a fair point that as a fan I think they should care about "their legacy" but that doesn't mean they do or should. I think the player Bell was at his apex will be forgotten and that process will only be accelerated by his post hold out career.

2 hours ago, rockaction said:

I get this, but in the end, I think (and I don't fully know the numbers) that he got paid his guarantees, but if he'd stuck with the Steelers and been paid that year he sat out, he would have made more with roster bonus-oriented contract than he did with the Jets guarantee.

Good posting.  He did get paid but it was less than he would have made by staying with the Steelers

29 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

It will be interesting to see how Bell does as a UFA this offseason.   Sitting out may elongated his career but his days of being considered an elite back are long gone.  

Those elite back days are indeed long gone.  Bell's days of being considered a starting RB are gone.  He is mere depth now, and not even exciting as depth.  Bell has been outplayed by Darrell Williams with the Chiefs.  There may not be many suitors lining up to sign Bell this offseason, and he is not getting starting money.  The holdout may have elongated Bell's health, but I don't think it helped his career or his bank account.

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

It will be interesting to see how Bell does as a UFA this offseason.   Sitting out may elongated his career but his days of being considered an elite back are long gone.  

Bell's worth vet minimum with no guarantees to make the roster. He recently said he signed with the Chiefs instead of the Dolphins so he could touch the ball less. Perhaps Bell elongated his career by tacking on another 1 year 1M deal onto the end of it, but he skipped the 14.5M in his age 26 season. Maybe he knew he was done at 26 and wanted to fool a team into giving him a plump retirement contract above the 14.5M on the table

• Like 2

Le'Veon Bell did not touch the ball in the Chiefs' Super Bowl LV loss to the Bucs. 

This year’s LeSean McCoy, Bell’s disastrous Jets tenure came to an end following Week 5. Gang Green tried to trade him but couldn’t find any takers. Bell quickly latched on with the defending-champion Chiefs where it seemed he might give struggling rookie Clyde Edwards-Helaire a run for his money. Instead, Bell surpassed seven carries only twice in nine games while catching 13 passes as a Chief. He fell (way) behind Darrel Williams on the depth chart down the stretch. Things got so bad that Bell claimed during Super Bowl media week he signed with the Chiefs because he expected a light workload. Not the same since holding out of the 2018 season, it’s not a guarantee Bell is a part of someone’s 53-man roster in 2021. He turns 29 later this month. 

Feb 7, 2021, 10:45 PM ET

On 2/3/2021 at 9:51 AM, Edgar said:

Bell's worth vet minimum with no guarantees to make the roster. He recently said he signed with the Chiefs instead of the Dolphins so he could touch the ball less. Perhaps Bell elongated his career by tacking on another 1 year 1M deal onto the end of it, but he skipped the 14.5M in his age 26 season. Maybe he knew he was done at 26 and wanted to fool a team into giving him a plump retirement contract above the 14.5M on the table

This actually sounds likely.

• Thanks 1

Through Bell’s first 6 NFL seasons (2013-2018), he made total 16.24M. 

From 2019-2020 he made 35M. Wow did he ever trick the Jets. 

Edited by Edgar
I believe I’m reading his contract correctly?
2 hours ago, Edgar said:

Through Bell’s first 6 NFL seasons (2013-2018), he made total 16.24M. 

From 2019-2020 he made 35M. Wow did he ever trick the Jets.

That was the dumbest signing you can imagine. I hated it from even before when they signed him. It reeked to high heaven of a guy that was falling off of a cliff, and it was.

24 minutes ago, rockaction said:

That was the dumbest signing you can imagine. I hated it from even before when they signed him. It reeked to high heaven of a guy that was falling off of a cliff, and it was.

I really don’t blame him for how he has handled his contract stuff. He deserved to get paid in Pittsburgh, and he followed the money when he left. It was a stupid move by the Jets financially but adding a big name veteran back to “carry the load” for a young qb seemed like a reasonable strategic move at the time. 

10 minutes ago, Snorkelson said:

I really don’t blame him for how he has handled his contract stuff. He deserved to get paid in Pittsburgh, and he followed the money when he left. It was a stupid move by the Jets financially but adding a big name veteran back to “carry the load” for a young qb seemed like a reasonable strategic move at the time. 

I don't blame him at all. I do differ from you in that I think the Jets made a horrible decision. That's not 20/20 hindsight. I was screaming to anybody who would listen not to sign him. Not because he was a malcontent, but because he was aging and had just taken a year off, a thing a fair amount of guys can't come back from. Add to that the lack of shape he was often in (for the NFL) and you had a ticking time bomb there.

Just now, rockaction said:

I don't blame him at all. I do differ from you in that I think the Jets made a horrible decision. That's not 20/20 hindsight. I was screaming to anybody who would listen not to sign him. Not because he was a malcontent, but because he was aging and had just taken a year off, a thing a fair amount of guys can't come back from. Add to that the lack of shape he was often in (for the NFL) and you had a ticking time bomb there.

Oh I agree with that, but as a rebuilding franchise peddling hope with no stars on offense it was a move that probably sold some jerseys and put more butts in the seats. Let’s be frank; winning isn’t the only thing.

• Like 1
Just now, Snorkelson said:

Oh I agree with that, but as a rebuilding franchise peddling hope with no stars on offense it was a move that probably sold some jerseys and put more butts in the seats. Let’s be frank; winning isn’t the only thing.

Yeah, if you look at it that way, sure. That said, I am a Jets fan who agrees with the general consensus in the NFL about running backs, though, so there were no jerseys sold at my expense nor butt in the seat. But I agree about hope and maybe winning a game or two more -- and that was the general consensus in the Jets thread, so even some pretty astute guys agreed with the hope aspect of it. Regardless, it certainly did give a little hope to the casual fan, though even the casual fan is getting a lot savvier than we think.

Just now, rockaction said:

Yeah, if you look at it that way, sure. That said, I am a Jets fan who agrees with the general consensus in the NFL about running backs, though, so there were no jerseys sold at my expense nor butt in the seat. But I agree about hope and maybe winning a game or two more -- and that was the general consensus in the Jets thread, so even some pretty astute guys agreed with the hope aspect of it. Regardless, it certainly did give a little hope to the casual fan, though even the casual fan is getting a lot savvier than we think.

Agree with that- between fantasy and legal gambling the causal fan pays closer attention these days. I’m sure most of the guys here wouldn’t have spent on him in an auction dyno startup, but I wonder how many people flipped him when he signed with the chiefs and what the going rate was. Might have to dig through the trade thread.

Just now, Snorkelson said:

Agree with that- between fantasy and legal gambling the causal fan pays closer attention these days. I’m sure most of the guys here wouldn’t have spent on him in an auction dyno startup, but I wonder how many people flipped him when he signed with the chiefs and what the going rate was. Might have to dig through the trade thread.

I don't remember anybody really doing that -- in the dynasty trade thread, anyway. Bell was pretty much shot and a vast majority knew it. I think he might have been traded in our Summerpalooza redraft league in the FFA, though. That's certainly possible and without the ramifications of having him for any longer than the duration of the year.

2 hours ago, Snorkelson said:

The Steelers offer was on par with the Jets and he sat out an entire season that was worth over $14 million.  He completely screwed the pooch.  

He got paid yes but he could have made more and maintained his relevancy as a RB by staying with the Steelers.  If his career isn't over yet it is certainly on it's last breath.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

The Steelers offer was on par with the Jets and he sat out an entire season that was worth over $14 million.  He completely screwed the pooch.  

He got paid yes but he could have made more and maintained his relevancy as a RB by staying with the Steelers.  If his career isn't over yet it is certainly on it's last breath.  

On life support for sure...

AB and LB really botched their future.

3 hours ago, rockaction said:

I didn't have a problem with the signing, just the amount they committed to him. Figured that while he was a very good RB, he was also probably a product of the (at the time) great Steelers' RB system. Which now seems like it was the case.

Anyway, that's water under the bridge. The Jets are done with him and we still have a ton of cap space to spend - just hopefully not overpaying another RB. 

47 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Not sure Bell really cares anymore.  Bell was always playing for the next paycheck.  Many players do but many also had the desire to be great and to compete.  For Bell not to get any touches yesterday tells me Reid has no confidence in him.  Now that he is a step slower he is just a run of the mill RB,

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

Not sure Bell really cares anymore.  Bell was always playing for the next paycheck.  Many players do but many also had the desire to be great and to compete.  For Bell not to get any touches yesterday tells me Reid has no confidence in him.  Now that he is a step slower he is just a run of the mill RB,

Lots of money plus a Super Bowl ring. Looks like he's the smart one.

3 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

If his career isn't over yet it is certainly on it's last breath.  

I speculated a few months ago his career might be over and my reason is that he's now a $2M or less per year player. If he did not want to play for $14.5M, I'm just not sure he's going to want to play for something closer to league minimum.

1 minute ago, menobrown said:

I speculated a few months ago his career might be over and my reason is that he's now a $2M or less per year player. If he did not want to play for $14.5M, I'm just not sure he's going to want to play for something closer to league minimum.

Get a handful of carries for another $1-2 million probably sounds good to most RBs unless they don't want to put in the effort to stay in tip top shape.

1 minute ago, zamboni said:

Get a handful of carries for another $1-2 million probably sounds good to most RBs unless they don't want to put in the effort to stay in tip top shape.

He's not the bolded because I don't know any other RB who would skip a whole season that would pay them over $900,000 game.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:
3 hours ago, zamboni said:

Lots of money plus a Super Bowl ring. Looks like he's the smart one.

are we still talking about LeVeon Bell?

My bad - brain fart. Was having a separate conversation about McCoy. Well, lots of money for Bell and a SB appearance.