What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (5 Viewers)

My biggest issue with taking Bell is his ceiling. Does anyone see him as a RB1 long term?
Size-speed-power-pedigree and most importantly no real roster threat... Umm I do. RB1 depends a lot on schedules and workload. I don't have him as a RB1 this year but 1200+ 10+ TDs is in reach immediately.
Bell: 6'1 1/2 230, 4.6 40

Dwyer: 5'11 1/2 229, 4.59 40

They're not that different and Bell hasn't been named the starter yet. That's why I would temper your projections, plus Dwyer did have two 100 yard games last year(1 in 2011 as well) and averaged 4.0 YPC. Don't forget that Dwyer is only 23 as well. The hit rate for 2nd round RBs isn't 100%. If you're counting on Bell to be a 1200 yard RB in your lineup in 2013, you may be disappointed.
There is more to detailing a player than 40x. Dwyer plays well when he controls his weight. He had back to back 100 yards games and then came back to earth. He's a good depth RB and the proper handcuff here. He's not a difference maker. It's not like he was place in Knile Davis situation with Jamaal Charles already there. Bell is more like Blount-2011 with better hands and a clear head. Looking at the schedules I see smooth sailing after the bye.

msudaisy26 said:
swirvenirvin said:
having watched Bell in all of his game at Michigan State, I think Pitt was just about the best fit for him. He is not going to run in any from 30 yards or more, hell he got caught from behind more times I can remeber, even when the DB's were 10 yards behind him. But he was great at the goaline and a tough runner.
It is a long shot but I think his ceiling is Edge James, I think his floor is a poor man's Forte but better around the goal line 1200 total yards, 6 to 8 total touchdowns. Assuming he wins the starting job.
His floor is 1200 total yards? wow

Bell could be a total flop, average 3.6 YPC, making the position a RBBC. That's his floor.

Everyone should be honest about Bell. I liked Bell, but had him rated as my 12th rookie going into the draft. Nobody else was super high on the kid. Now he lands with Pittsburgh in the 2nd round and he's a Edgerrin James/Matt Forte.

On tape, Bell is mostly a plodder. Sometimes he flashes being athletic, but he's not very fast and he's not entering a great situation.
So you put yourself above NFL teams as a telent evaluator? Do you also have Da'Rick over Robert Woods?
NFL teams don't play FF football, so it's apples to oranges. If you think Bell was being valued the same pre/post NFL draft than you're ignorant.
FFB is based on performance in the NFL, so knowing where the NFL Teams value guys is sort of important. It's not an apples to oranges. It's that we wish we were playing with those oranges rather than our apples, because their oranges are the real deal, and ours are pretend based on what the oranges do.

And I value Bell higher post draft as I should. Because of the competition he is up against. If you think opportunity is not a HUGE determining factor in FFB, then I'm guessing you missed the boat on those fine PPR seasons Joseph (Mediocre) Addai had as a RB in Indy.

And where YOU value a guy before the draft is about as importan to the rankings as what my friend's cat ranks NFL prospects. Guys like Mel Kyper study this stuff day and night yet can't predict where players will go or if they will be any good.

But thanks for sharing your ranking of the guy pre-draft. I feel so much better now about the kid knowing where you had the guy pegged in March before he ever suited up for a rep in a mini camp. Can you give me your Super Bowl winner for 2017? I want to bet my house. TIA

I like Bell as a player, I just think this hype train needs to be more realistic. 2nd round picks aren't sure things by any stretch, Bell wasn't even in the conversation for RB1 in his draft class(Lacy/Gio), but now that he's in Pittsburgh everything has changed and he's an Edge/Forte?

I like Bell as a player, I just think this hype train needs to be more realistic. 2nd round picks aren't sure things by any stretch, Bell wasn't even in the conversation for RB1 in his draft class(Lacy/Gio), but now that he's in Pittsburgh everything has changed and he's an Edge/Forte?
Forte was drafted in the 2nd round. So was he not Forte before he became Forte because he was a 2nd round pick?

Why can't Leveon Bell be a guy that was taken in the second round, had little competition and made the most of it? You talk about Lacy and Gio as being in the conversation for RB1 of the draft class and look where they were drafted. Sure, the "draft experts" had those two guys as tops, but look what happened. Neither went in the first round. They went in the same round as Bell. And those two guys are in arguably worse situations in terms of competion.

whenever i see this thread i start hearing old boy elton singing levon and i remember the wind blowing along well i was rolling around with the windows down in an old fury wagon which was all i could afford and if you looked real hard you could probably see the rust growing on that pile but man she got me to work and back and when you cut out after a good hard day you were all greasy and full of sweat and no kids yet and even though you were beat tired like a horse someone rode way to hard with no water you still new you were going to meet up with some buddies and it sure as heck felt good to put the windows down and blast some levon and sing along on the way home and even though the car was pile and bills were a pile to you could be king for a little bit right there brohans so you know what i hope this guy kills it and becomes even better than anyone and has a good carrer just for bringing me back on that one bam right there brohans take that to the bank

Forte was drafted in the 2nd round. So was he not Forte before he became Forte because he was a 2nd round pick?

Why can't Leveon Bell be a guy that was taken in the second round, had little competition and made the most of it? You talk about Lacy and Gio as being in the conversation for RB1 of the draft class and look where they were drafted. Sure, the "draft experts" had those two guys as tops, but look what happened. Neither went in the first round. They went in the same round as Bell. And those two guys are in arguably worse situations in terms of competion.
You seem to be stuck on draft position.

Lets look at the last 10 years of 2nd round picks at RB

2012:

Pead, LMJ

2011:

Ryan Williams, Vereen, Leshoure, Daniel Thomas

2010:

McCluster, Gerhart, Ben Tate, M. Hardesty

2009:

L. McCoy

2008:

Matt Forte, Ray Rice

2007:

Kenny Irons, Chris Henry, Brandon Jackson

2006:

Lendale White, MJD

2005:

JJ arington, Eric Shelton

2004:

Tatum Bell, Julius Jones

(I left Greg Jones out)

2003:

None

22 total RBs

Number of RBs that have gone over 1,000 rushing yards in any one season= 7 (31%) (T. Bell, J. Jones, L. White, MJD, Forte, Rice, McCoy)

Number of RBs that have gone over 1,000 rushing yards in more than one season= 4 (18%) (MJD, Forte, Rice, McCoy)

Number of RBs that have gone over 1,200 rushing yards in any one season= 4 (18%) (MJD, Forte, Rice, McCoy)

You brought up the fact that "Draft Experts" were talking about Gio and Lacy as the top RB's in the draft. Yet those two guys were drafted by the ACTUAL draft experts remarkeably close to one another. All of them were second rounders. But we can talk about Gio and Lacy as legit NFL prospects but not Bell?

I brought up draft position because you said this guy who is a second rounder is unlikely to be Forte who actually drafted in the 2nd round.

Could Bell go out and stink up the joint? Sure. He could end the season with a 3.2 YPC and suck. But he has a fantastic opportunity which is HUGE in both the NFL and FFB. Dwyer and Redman are not much in terms of competition. He plays for a cold weather team that will likely be pounding the rock during our FFB playoffs. Teams have to account for a stud QB and can't stack the box to stop the RB. All that is in his favor. Now all he has to do is go out and execute. We both know he may not do that. Odds are against him in fact, but odds are against all the RB's this year. Lacy was drafted by a team that drafted a pretty nice insurance policy in the 5th indicating to me they don't trust his health. Gio goes to Cinci that has a pretty good runner in BJGE. Not great. Not bad, but pretty good.

This opportunity has been gift wrapped for Bell. I feel he is going to hit the ground running, pun intended. We can argue that 2nd rounders are no sure thing. I agree. But the best RB's in this class are all 2nd rounders. I'm hitching my wagon to Bell. You disagree. Maybe we should step back and see how it plays out on the field or at least wait until we have new information, because what we know has been analyzed too much already....

You brought up the fact that "Draft Experts" were talking about Gio and Lacy as the top RB's in the draft. Yet those two guys were drafted by the ACTUAL draft experts remarkeably close to one another. All of them were second rounders. But we can talk about Gio and Lacy as legit NFL prospects but not Bell?

They have a higher ceiling based purely on talent. That's why they were the top of the class. Where they were selected is based on a bunch of other factors(team needs, scheme, character, injury history, etc). Does Da'Rick Rogers have the same % chance as any other UDFA as being a FF starter? No, he has a much higher chance based on talent.

I brought up draft position because you said this guy who is a second rounder is unlikely to be Forte who actually drafted in the 2nd round.

He is unlikely to be Matt Forte or Ray Rice or MJD or Lesean McCoy. He doesn't resemble any of their games. Just because they share the same draft position, doesn't mean they share the same floor/ceiling. Those things vary player to player and draft class to draft class. Leveon Bell just can't do this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYkLoZW_Wkg so why compare them?

Could Bell go out and stink up the joint? Sure. He could end the season with a 3.2 YPC and suck. But he has a fantastic opportunity which is HUGE in both the NFL and FFB. Dwyer and Redman are not much in terms of competition. He plays for a cold weather team that will likely be pounding the rock during our FFB playoffs. Teams have to account for a stud QB and can't stack the box to stop the RB. All that is in his favor. Now all he has to do is go out and execute. We both know he may not do that. Odds are against him in fact, but odds are against all the RB's this year. Lacy was drafted by a team that drafted a pretty nice insurance policy in the 5th indicating to me they don't trust his health. Gio goes to Cinci that has a pretty good runner in BJGE. Not great. Not bad, but pretty good.

Sure he has an opportunity and it could go either way. But of the stats I posted by 2nd round picks, only Forte ran for over 1,200 yards as a rookie. 1 out of 22. I think he's also the only one to run for over 1,000 yards. It would be a rarity.

This opportunity has been gift wrapped for Bell. I feel he is going to hit the ground running, pun intended. We can argue that 2nd rounders are no sure thing. I agree. But the best RB's in this class are all 2nd rounders. I'm hitching my wagon to Bell. You disagree. Maybe we should step back and see how it plays out on the field or at least wait until we have new information, because what we know has been analyzed too much already....

daniel jeremiah of the NFL network was formerly a scout... bell made his list of seven instant-impact rookies...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000214331/article/tavon-austin-manti-teo-among-instantimpact-rookies-in-2013

"Le'Veon Bell, RB, Pittsburgh Steelers: The Steelers are desperate to improve their rushing attack after ranking 26th in 2012, and Bell is just the man for the job. He led the Big Ten with 1,793 rushing yards last fall and showcased the ability to carry a heavy load by toting the ball 382 times. He doesn't possess home-run speed, but I love his vision, balance and power. He is also very effective in the passing game as both a blocker and receiver. Bell is clearly the most talented runner on Pittsburgh's roster and he should emerge as the primary ball carrier very early in the upcoming season."

reportedly helped his cause by running a faster than expected 4.6 40 (montee ball, who i like similarly as a prospect, ran a 4.66 - ball is listed 217 lbs., bell 230 lbs... though that was after losing as much as 15 lbs. from his playing weight at michigan st. in 2012)... didn't verify, but read somewhere that bell may have run 4.4 as prep during recruitment process? it is true in fantasy football that prospects can be moved up or down situationally, not just based on intrinsic talent (you can look at college film, examine measurables, break down skill sets and vet/screen based on historical comps of similar size/speed/skill, etc)... it is a cliche that a certain level of talent that served some prospects well in college doesn't always translate well to the next level... in bell, i see a RB with some skills that could translate... he is as fast or faster than morris, who was less highly regarded post-draft, yet exceeded expectations by going to a team committed to the run... PIT potentially has a good run blocking OL... scouts mention that he has plus skills in passing game, both important receiving and pass protection... when i look at his clips, he isn't stiff or ponderous like some prior failed big backs, he is a fluid athlete with nifty feet and graceful movement skills of a smaller player...

http://www.freep.com/article/20130225/SPORTS07/302250042/Michigan-State-RB-Le-Veon-Bell-s-4-6-40-yard-dash-may-bolster-NFL-draft-stock

if he starts and is primary ball carrier, as expected by many, and contingent on health of QB and OL, i don't see how he doesn't get 1,100+ rushing yards, 30-40 receptions & 8-12 combined TDs...

Last edited by a moderator:
daniel jeremiah of the NFL network was formerly a scout... bell made his list of seven instant-impact rookies...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000214331/article/tavon-austin-manti-teo-among-instantimpact-rookies-in-2013

"Le'Veon Bell, RB, Pittsburgh Steelers: The Steelers are desperate to improve their rushing attack after ranking 26th in 2012, and Bell is just the man for the job. He led the Big Ten with 1,793 rushing yards last fall and showcased the ability to carry a heavy load by toting the ball 382 times. He doesn't possess home-run speed, but I love his vision, balance and power. He is also very effective in the passing game as both a blocker and receiver. Bell is clearly the most talented runner on Pittsburgh's roster and he should emerge as the primary ball carrier very early in the upcoming season."

reportedly helped his cause by running a faster than expected 4.6 40 (montee ball, who i like similarly as a prospect, ran a 4.66 - ball is listed 217 lbs., bell 230 lbs... though that was after losing as much as 15 lbs. from his playing weight at michigan st. in 2012)... didn't verify, but read somewhere that bell may have run 4.4 as prep during recruitment process? it is true in fantasy football that prospects can be moved up or down situationally, not just based on intrinsic talent (you can look at college film, examine measurables, break down skill sets and vet/screen based on historical comps of similar size/speed/skill, etc)... it is a cliche that a certain level of talent that served some prospects well in college doesn't always translate well to the next level... in bell, i see a RB with some skills that could translate... he is as fast or faster than morris, who was less highly regarded post-draft, yet exceeded expectations by going to a team committed to the run... PIT potentially has a good run blocking OL... scouts mention that he has plus skills in passing game, both important receiving and pass protection... when i look at his clips, he isn't stiff or ponderous like some prior failed big backs, he is a fluid athlete with nifty feet and graceful movement skills of a smaller player...

http://www.freep.com/article/20130225/SPORTS07/302250042/Michigan-State-RB-Le-Veon-Bell-s-4-6-40-yard-dash-may-bolster-NFL-draft-stock

if he starts and is primary ball carrier, as expected by many, and contingent on health of QB and OL, i don't see how he doesn't get 1,100+ rushing yards, 30-40 receptions & 8-12 combined TDs...
Bingo!.

Bingo!.
4.5% chance, why look at the odds. Do you double down on a hard 19 too?

whenever i see this thread i start hearing old boy elton singing levon and i remember the wind blowing along well i was rolling around with the windows down in an old fury wagon which was all i could afford and if you looked real hard you could probably see the rust growing on that pile but man she got me to work and back and when you cut out after a good hard day you were all greasy and full of sweat and no kids yet and even though you were beat tired like a horse someone rode way to hard with no water you still new you were going to meet up with some buddies and it sure as heck felt good to put the windows down and blast some levon and sing along on the way home and even though the car was pile and bills were a pile to you could be king for a little bit right there brohans so you know what i hope this guy kills it and becomes even better than anyone and has a good carrer just for bringing me back on that one bam right there brohans take that to the bank
This sounds like you changed the channel mid song to something else but then I have not listened to that song in a long time. :unsure:

Sure he has an opportunity and it could go either way. But of the stats I posted by 2nd round picks, only Forte ran for over 1,200 yards as a rookie. 1 out of 22. I think he's also the only one to run for over 1,000 yards. It would be a rarity.

Two things. I never said that he was MJD or Rice or McCoy. MJD isn't McCoy and vice versa. I just said he was drafted with the top RB's in this class.

I also did not claim that he would go off for 1200 yards as his floor or ceiling or whatever. I have the guy in a dynasty league. He might go for 800 yards this year, but long term I like where he is. On a team with a winning tradition who can get a lead and let him grind the clock down in garbage time.

Let me put it to you this way. I predrafted in that dynasty league. I had the 1st and 4th picks. My first four predraft picks in order were 1) Tavon Auson 2) Bell 3) Lacy 4) Gio. I got my first two picks and was quite happy about it. Had Franklin not gone in the 5th to the Packers, I would've had him second, but I see the Packers taking out an insurance policy on the guy and I had too many holes to fill to take both Lacy and Franklin so Bell edged him out. If a rookie RB is to crack 1,000 yards this year, I feel Bell has the best chance to do it. Doesn't mean he will, but I think he has a great opportunity to excel.

msudaisy26 said:
having watched Bell in all of his game at Michigan State, I think Pitt was just about the best fit for him. He is not going to run in any from 30 yards or more, hell he got caught from behind more times I can remeber, even when the DB's were 10 yards behind him. But he was great at the goaline and a tough runner.
It is a long shot but I think his ceiling is Edge James, I think his floor is a poor man's Forte but better around the goal line 1200 total yards, 6 to 8 total touchdowns. Assuming he wins the starting job.

Bell could be a total flop, average 3.6 YPC, making the position a RBBC. That's his floor.

Everyone should be honest about Bell. I liked Bell, but had him rated as my 12th rookie going into the draft. Nobody else was super high on the kid. Now he lands with Pittsburgh in the 2nd round and he's a Edgerrin James/Matt Forte.

On tape, Bell is mostly a plodder. Sometimes he flashes being athletic, but he's not very fast and he's not entering a great situation.
Obviously you only read the part you wanted to be critical about. 1200 TOTAL YARDS assuming he wins the the starters job. I expect 300 to 400 yards receiving too.

Here is your recap. His floor is 800 or so rushing and 300 to 400 receiving with 6 to 8 touchdowns. If he wins the job.

His ceiling is Edge James when he was putting up about 2k total yards and 10+ touchdowns in his prime, but I give that about a 10 percent chance.

msudaisy26 said:

Obviously you only read the part you wanted to be critical about. 1200 TOTAL YARDS assuming he wins the the starters job. I expect 300 to 400 yards receiving too.

Here is your recap. His floor is 800 or so rushing and 300 to 400 receiving with 6 to 8 touchdowns. If he wins the job.

His ceiling is Edge James when he was putting up about 2k total yards and 10+ touchdowns in his prime, but I give that about a 10 percent chance.
I have no problem with reading comprehension. I also said "total yards"

My problem is you listing that as his floor. That's assuming he is named the starter, keeps it for the entire season, doesn't get injured, gets enough touches for 1200 total yards, and is productive enough with those touches.

Here are the times a Steeler RB has gone over 1200 total yards(since 2000):

2010 Rashard Mendenhall 1440 on 347 touches

2009 Rashard Mendenhall 1369 on 267 touches

2007 Willie Parker 1480 on 344 touches

2006 Willie Parker 1716 on 368 touches

2005 Willie Parker 1420 on 273 touches

2000 Jerome Bettis 1438 on 368 touches

Here are the times a Steeler RB has gone over 300 yards receiving:

2008 Mewelde Moore 320 yards

2003 Amos Zereoue 310

2002 Amos Zereoue 341

Since Big Ben has taken over at QB, one Steelers RB has had 300 yards receiving or more.

You can see how difficult it is to obtain the 1200 total yards in the last 13 years for the Steelers. That's with two 1st round picks(Bettis/Mendy) and Fast Willie Parkers prime years. It's also very rare for a Steelers RB to have 300 yards receiving, yet along 400.

Last season Steelers RBs(didn't include FB's) had 385 total touches. If Bell had all of those, sure 1200 or higher is a very realistic number. However, he won't get all of them. Dwyer led with 174(45%). The previous year Mendy had 56%, when he was the established starter.

Take the 56%, give him 200 carries at 4 YPC= 800 rushing + 15 receptions at 8 YPC = 120. Much more realistic total yard expectation of 920 yards.

Why should Bell owners temper expectations?

-Bell doesn't possess breakaway speed and won't have many long runs. Bell had 382 carries last year, his long run was 40 yards.

-RBs get injured often in the NFL. Tall RBs 6'2 have a bigger target, so do 240 pound RBs. Both aren't in Bells favor, plus add in his 414 touches last season and it would be outside the norm if he started 16 games.

-Steelers OL has been poor for awhile. They ranked 30th in run blocked(PFF). They've invested in early round picks, but so far it's been a disappointment.

-Big Ben/Steelers don't throw to the RBs often. Once in his career a RB has gone over 300 receiving.

I think expectations of a 1200 yard floor for Bell will leave owners disappointed. A 900 yard floor is much more realistic.

You can see how difficult it is to obtain the 1200 total yards in the last 13 years for the Steelers. That's with two 1st round picks(Bettis/Mendy) and Fast Willie Parkers prime years. It's also very rare for a Steelers RB to have 300 yards receiving, yet along 400.

Last season Steelers RBs(didn't include FB's) had 385 total touches. If Bell had all of those, sure 1200 or higher is a very realistic number. However, he won't get all of them. Dwyer led with 174(45%). The previous year Mendy had 56%, when he was the established starter.
You realize the Steelers have a new OC. And while past performance can help predict future performance, showing offensive scheme break downs in terms of how RB's are utilized, need to be tempered somewhat. Haley as the HC in KC threw plenty to the RB. Unless you think they are bringing in a new OC to run the old OC or even the current HC's offense?

You realize the Steelers have a new OC. And while past performance can help predict future performance, showing offensive scheme break downs in terms of how RB's are utilized, need to be tempered somewhat. Haley as the HC in KC threw plenty to the RB. Unless you think they are bringing in a new OC to run the old OC or even the current HC's offense?
I first list every RB drafted in the 2nd round in the last ten years, but that doesn't matter. Then I list the success of Pittsburgh RBs since 2000, but that doesn't matter.

How about RBs under Todd Haley as OC?

2007: Edgerrin James 324 carries 3.8 1222 yards, 24 receptions for 204 yards 7 TD

2008: Tim Hightower 143 carries 2.8 399 yards, 34 receptions 237 yards 10 TD

Edgerrin James 133 carries 3.9 514 yards, 12 receptions for 85 yards 3 TD

2012: Dwyer 156 carries 4.0 623 yards, 18 receptions for 106 yards 2 TD

Redman 110 carries 3.7 410 yards, 19 receptions for 244 yards 2 TD

If you want to reference his time in KC, which only means Jamaal Charles, then this discussion is done. Le'Veon Bell and Jamaal Charles are completely different RBs in size/speed/skillset. That's like comparing Jerome Bettis to Chris Johnson, it's pointless.

I don't see a bunch of success from RBs in the passing game(aside from Charles) Further, aside from 2007, Haley distributes the touches to his RB's and doesn't give the full workload to one RB. He did that in AZ/KC/Pitt, much to the dismay of Jamaal Charles owners. I don't see him force feeding the ball to a rookie when he's done it once in 6 years calling the shots(Edge in 2007 his 1st year as OC).

I've done enough research here, if you would like to counterpoint, bring some stats/facts to the table.

Otherwise let's recap:

-2nd round RB's have a 31% chance to get a 1,000 yard rushing season in their career

-2nd round RB's have a 4.5% chance to get 1,000 yards rushing in their rookie season

-Big Ben has thrown 300 yards receiving or more to a RB once in 9 seasons= 11% chance

-Steelers OL ranked 30th in run blocking

-Todd Haley splits his touches to his RBs. Hightower/Edge, Charles/Larry Johnson, Charles/Thomas Jones, Thomas Jones/Jackie Batte, Dwyer/Redman.

I first list every RB drafted in the 2nd round in the last ten years, but that doesn't matter. Then I list the success of Pittsburgh RBs since 2000, but that doesn't matter.

2007: Edgerrin James 324 carries 3.8 1222 yards, 24 receptions for 204 yards 7 TD

If you want to reference his time in KC, which only means Jamaal Charles, then this discussion is done. Le'Veon Bell and Jamaal Charles are completely different RBs in size/speed/skillset. That's like comparing Jerome Bettis to Chris Johnson, it's pointless.

I don't see a bunch of success from RBs in the passing game(aside from Charles) Further, aside from 2007, Haley distributes the touches to his RB's and doesn't give the full workload to one RB. He did that in AZ/KC/Pitt, much to the dismay of Jamaal Charles owners. I don't see him force feeding the ball to a rookie when he's done it once in 6 years calling the shots(Edge in 2007 his 1st year as OC).

I've done enough research here, if you would like to counterpoint, bring some stats/facts to the table.

Otherwise let's recap:

-2nd round RB's have a 31% chance to get a 1,000 yard rushing season in their career

-2nd round RB's have a 4.5% chance to get 1,000 yards rushing in their rookie season

-Big Ben has thrown 300 yards receiving or more to a RB once in 9 seasons= 11% chance

-Todd Haley splits his touches to his RBs. Hightower/Edge, Charles/Larry Johnson, Charles/Thomas Jones, Thomas Jones/Jackie Batte, Dwyer/Redman.
And yet you assume because the percentages are low that someone can't perform. Tom Brady has a very small chance of ever starting in the NFL. Based on your logic here, you should never touch the guy. Once he's proven, of course it's OK to draft him. As in your mention of Forte and how we shouldn't compare Bell to him because Forte is an established RB DESPITE being a 2nd round pick. The problem is, if you wait to get the guy after he has beaten the odds, then what do you have? An asset you paid way too much for.

So by all means, look at historical numbers and base your decisions on that. The best RB's in this class went in the second round. Should we not draft any of them? Me, I like this kid in Pittsburgh. I think he's going to put up good numbers. I have him in one league and he will ride the pine until I see something from him. Could be a game, could be 8, could be 16.

But to lose your mind over people predicting numbers for the kid just because they've never happened before or aren't very likely to happen is ridiculous. And don't act like you aren't gnashing your teeth and pulling hair out as you read counters to your arguments.

Oh, and don't put words into my mouth about saying the guys drafted in the 2nd round and their success rate doesn't matter. Your the one that acts as if Gio and Lacey have a better chance to be studs because "draft experts" had them ranked in the first round. They didn't go there. They went in the second with Bell. Those are the rookies we have to choose from. They have little chance of rushing for 1K yards their rookie seasons. So did Alfred Morris last year. Even more so than these guys. Guys that took a flyer on Morris cashed in over guys that took David Wilson and Trent Richardson in 2012.

On a side note. You realize that all of us are trying to predict the future here. Trying to determine how guys will play in 2013. Predicting the future us hard. Relying solely on historical stats won't make you any better at it...

The guy is in an IDEAL situation for his skill set and has little competition. You cite all the combos that Haley used. Some aging vets and never will bes in that list. When he had a stud, he let the guy go once charles proved himself, considering his size and not being all that typical of a RB. Dwyer and Redman don't pose much threat. I think your statistical unlikelihood is becoming more and more likely...

msudaisy26 said:

My problem is you listing that as his floor. That's assuming he is named the starter, keeps it for the entire season, doesn't get injured, gets enough touches for 1200 total yards, and is productive enough with those touches.

2003 Amos Zereoue 310

2002 Amos Zereoue 341

Since Big Ben has taken over at QB, one Steelers RB has had 300 yards receiving or more.

Take the 56%, give him 200 carries at 4 YPC= 800 rushing + 15 receptions at 8 YPC = 120. Much more realistic total yard expectation of 920 yards.

-Bell doesn't possess breakaway speed and won't have many long runs. Bell had 382 carries last year, his long run was 40 yards.

-RBs get injured often in the NFL. Tall RBs 6'2 have a bigger target, so do 240 pound RBs. Both aren't in Bells favor, plus add in his 414 touches last season and it would be outside the norm if he started 16 games.

-Steelers OL has been poor for awhile. They ranked 30th in run blocked(PFF). They've invested in early round picks, but so far it's been a disappointment.

-Big Ben/Steelers don't throw to the RBs often. Once in his career a RB has gone over 300 receiving.

I think expectations of a 1200 yard floor for Bell will leave owners disappointed. A 900 yard floor is much more realistic.
Those past performances would actually mean something if it was the same team, or player, most of those players are gone and Bell is by far the best receiving back they have had. I don't make predictions and try to predict an injury, not to mention do you realize that Vick Ballard had 800 yards rushing last season? So like I said this is his floor assuming he wins the job.

414 touches at the college level isn't anything compared to pro level they aren't even in the same ball park, 15 receptions is a horrible prediction for his catches since the Steelers see him as an every down back. How did backs like Bettis and Edge ever break 1000 yards and they consistently had seasons where they never broke long runs?

I don't get it, so what he's a bigger back with less speed than others? He's still 230 lbs which means that defenders will have to play this guy differently than they would a smaller Running Back. He won't be an easy player to take down.

You'll have to get a clean shot on this guy and while you're trying to get a clear shot, he has the agility to get around you.

Who's Ben Roethlisberger's main targets? Antonio Brown? Emmanuel Sanders? Yeah, this sounds like a football team that is ready to run the football.

Otherwise let's recap:

And yet you assume because the percentages are low that someone can't perform. Tom Brady has a very small chance of ever starting in the NFL. Based on your logic here, you should never touch the guy. Once he's proven, of course it's OK to draft him. As in your mention of Forte and how we shouldn't compare Bell to him because Forte is an established RB DESPITE being a 2nd round pick. The problem is, if you wait to get the guy after he has beaten the odds, then what do you have? An asset you paid way too much for.

I never said Bell couldn't perform, just that the odds are stacked against him. The problem isn't that Bell or Tom Brady can't get it done, just that i'm not paying the price of a RB expected to get 1,200 total yards. You want to play the guessing game and pay the price against the odds of a 1/22 shot like Matt Forte rushing for over 1,000 yards his rookie year...go ahead. That's too expensive a gamble for me.

So by all means, look at historical numbers and base your decisions on that. The best RB's in this class went in the second round. Should we not draft any of them? Me, I like this kid in Pittsburgh. I think he's going to put up good numbers. I have him in one league and he will ride the pine until I see something from him. Could be a game, could be 8, could be 16.

You don't base future decisions on past experiences? What else is there to go on...hopes and dreams?

Just because the best RBs in this class went in round 2, doesn't mean it's a great class. That's like saying EJ Manuel went in round one in 2013, but RGIII/Luck went in round one so that's the expectation. Wrong.

But to lose your mind over people predicting numbers for the kid just because they've never happened before or aren't very likely to happen is ridiculous. And don't act like you aren't gnashing your teeth and pulling hair out as you read counters to your arguments.

I'm not, nice and calm with my feet up on the sofa.

Oh, and don't put words into my mouth about saying the guys drafted in the 2nd round and their success rate doesn't matter. Your the one that acts as if Gio and Lacey have a better chance to be studs because "draft experts" had them ranked in the first round. They didn't go there. They went in the second with Bell. Those are the rookies we have to choose from. They have little chance of rushing for 1K yards their rookie seasons. So did Alfred Morris last year. Even more so than these guys. Guys that took a flyer on Morris cashed in over guys that took David Wilson and Trent Richardson in 2012.

Gio and Lacy do have a better chance to be studs than L. Bell. I said nothing about round, I said they have more talent. Now you're going to pull out Alfred Morris, come on. He's the exception not the rule.

On a side note. You realize that all of us are trying to predict the future here. Trying to determine how guys will play in 2013. Predicting the future us hard. Relying solely on historical stats won't make you any better at it...

Ignoring history sets up failure as well, why don't you ask Hitler that was in Moscow in the winter. He didn't learn anything from Napolean. We need to learn from past 2nd round RBs/Pittsburgh RBs/and how Haley uses RBs. If not people will expect a huge year from Bell and it will hurt their FF teams. You're hoping for a big year from Bell but don't need him on your FF team. Those are two different animals, one will kill your FF team if it doesn't come to fruition, the other won't.

The guy is in an IDEAL situation for his skill set and has little competition. You cite all the combos that Haley used. Some aging vets and never will bes in that list. When he had a stud, he let the guy go once charles proved himself, considering his size and not being all that typical of a RB. Dwyer and Redman don't pose much threat. I think your statistical unlikelihood is becoming more and more likely...

Pittsburgh is not an ideal situation. They ranked 30th in run blocking, Big Ben doesn't throw to the RBs, and they ranked 20th in the NFL in rushing attempts. Competition is low and that's all people see here.

First of all, Le'Veon Bell isn't a stud. If he was, he would've been a 1st round pick.

You're completely wrong about Haley letting a stud go. In 2009, Jamaal Charles had 1,120 yards at 5.9 YPC. I'd say that's "proved himself". In 2010, he rewarded Jamaal Charles with less carries than Thomas Jones. Jones had 245 at 3.7 YPC, Charles had 230 at 6.4.

2003 Amos Zereoue 310

2002 Amos Zereoue 341

Those past performances would actually mean something if it was the same team, or player, most of those players are gone and Bell is by far the best receiving back they have had. I don't make predictions and try to predict an injury, not to mention do you realize that Vick Ballard had 800 yards rushing last season? So like I said this is his floor assuming he wins the job.

414 touches at the college level isn't anything compared to pro level they aren't even in the same ball park, 15 receptions is a horrible prediction for his catches since the Steelers see him as an every down back. How did backs like Bettis and Edge ever break 1000 yards and they consistently had seasons where they never broke long runs?
So you first say don't compare past players/performances/etc because it's not the same situation. Then you bring up Vick Ballard who is on a completely different team/is a different player/different offense/and is a past performance. Hmmm

You're an MSU fan obviously and guess what, I like Le'Veon Bell. However, i'm a realist and don't think he's the 2nd coming. Yes, injuries are frequent at the RB position. Less than half of the starting teams in the NFL had the same starting RB every game from week 1-week 17.

Bell led the NCAA in carries last year, hits are hits IMO and it doesn't help. Yes NFL hits are more difficult, but if I had the choice...i'd rather have a RB with less wear. Bettis/Edge lived in an era where RBBC's weren't common and teams gave their starter a ton of carries. Edge had over 300 carries in 7 different seasons, Bettis had 5 seasons(plus another at 299). Last year only 5 RBs in the NFL had over 300 carries. AP has went over 300 only 3 out of 6 seasons, Ray Rice 1 out of 5 seasons. It's not common to be force fed the ball anymore, which is what Bell would need to put up big FF numbers. Montee Ball ran a much worse 40 yard dash time, yet his season long(on less carries) was 67 yards compared to Bell's 40 yarder.

he doesn't need to be a great back to put up good fantasy numbers. he will earn playing time over Dwyer and Redman so he's going to get a lot of touches. any NFL back with the kind of opportunity I expect Bell to get will be a good fantasy play. I think he is the most solid rookie RB in terms of fantasy this year, based on opportunity.

Almost every year there's going to be rookie RBs on a team with little to no competition. Last year it was Doug Martin and Trent Richardson. But when I watched college tapes of Martin and Richardson, I was very impressed by their explosiveness and speed. When I watch Bell on film, he looks like he's stuck in quicksand.

My draft is coming up, and I had wanted to draft Bell because I thought he'd be a good under-the-radar pick. But after watching film on him, I'm going to avoid him unless I can get him for great value. I would definitely take Lacy and Ball ahead of him.

Rotoworld:

Rookie Le'Veon Bell handled four of the Steelers' five first-team running back reps to end Monday's practice.
He carried the football on three of them. Of all the 2013 rookie running backs, Bell very arguably has the clearest path to playing time, even if he offers the least big-play ability. He projects as a potential first-year workhorse.

Source: Ed Bouchette on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Rookie Le'Veon Bell handled four of the Steelers' five first-team running back reps to end Monday's practice.

He carried the football on three of them. Of all the 2013 rookie running backs, Bell very arguably has the clearest path to playing time, even if he offers the least big-play ability. He projects as a potential first-year workhorse.

Also on NFL Training Camp Live, they said Dwyer is looking the best he's ever looked (20 lbs lighter), and Redman has looked good as well. This has the look of an ugly RBBC IMO.

Rotoworld:

Also on NFL Training Camp Live, they said Dwyer is looking the best he's ever looked (20 lbs lighter), and Redman has looked good as well. This has the look of an ugly RBBC IMO.
Everyone was saying the exact same things about Dwyer last year, and during the preseason it was apparent, but we all know how Dwyer's 2012 turned out.

We shall see what Bell can do with this opportunity, but Dwyer doesnt scare me in the least.

Everyone was saying the exact same things about Dwyer last year, and during the preseason it was apparent, but we all know how Dwyer's 2012 turned out.
Agree. Still expect Dwyer doesn't make that team. He'll need to have the mother of all camps to avoid The Turk from where I'm sitting and I don't think he has it in him. He had his shot last year and shanked it.

Doesn't keep himself in shape during the season, is a plodder, isn't that great of a blocker, and doesn't play teams. Where are they going to find a place for a guy like that as the RB4? I see Bell/Redman/Stephens-Howling as pretty much locks, as far as the stuff goes. Dwyer/Redman are basically redundant as runners(not saying a lot, I realize), but Redman can actually block/catch and is a superior SY player.

Gio and Lacy do have a better chance to be studs than L. Bell. I said nothing about round, I said they have more talent.

First of all, Le'Veon Bell isn't a stud. If he was, he would've been a 1st round pick.
Does anybody else see the hypocrisy in these two statements?

Gio and Lacy do have a better chance to be studs than L. Bell. I said nothing about round, I said they have more talent.

All studs have talent.

Not all studs are first rd picks.

Therefore not all first-round picks are studs.

Bernard, Lacy, and Bell were not first-round picks.

Who has more talent? Who will be the studs?

Edite to fix formatting issues.

Then deleted and reposted because I still could not resolve formatting.

Agree. Still expect Dwyer doesn't make that team. He'll need to have the mother of all camps to avoid The Turk from where I'm sitting and I don't think he has it in him. He had his shot last year and shanked it.

Doesn't keep himself in shape during the season, is a plodder, isn't that great of a blocker, and doesn't play teams. Where are they going to find a place for a guy like that as the RB4? I see Bell/Redman/Stephens-Howling as pretty much locks, as far as the stuff goes. Dwyer/Redman are basically redundant as runners(not saying a lot, I realize), but Redman can actually block/catch and is a superior SY player.
With all the injuries they've had due to poor blocking, they keep 4 RBs IMO...

Not at all, when taken out of context. Gio/Lacy were taken ahead of Bell in most drafts. Why would that be?

Did I say Gio/Lacy were studs?

Reports are that he showed very well in the backs-on-backers drill yesterday. Bodes well, as the one thing that usually costs rookie RBs playing time is poor pass-blocking.

Reports are that he showed very well in the backs-on-backers drill yesterday. Bodes well, as the one thing that usually costs rookie RBs playing time is poor pass-blocking.
This was one area I thought he'd do well in. Big frame to take on blitzing defenders.

This was one area I thought he'd do well in. Big frame to take on blitzing defenders.
Unofficially, he won 5 of 11 (45%)

Rest of RB corps : 12 of 36 (33%)

Not bad considering Redman and Dwyer both graded out among the top 5-10 pass-blocking RBs in the entire NFL last season according to FBO.

Not bad considering Redman and Dwyer both graded out among the top 5-10 pass-blocking RBs in the entire NFL last season according to FBO.
I read something where he split with Jarvis Jones. That had to be cool. Too bad NFL network is catching all the things I don't care about with 17 hours of coverage.

I read something where he split with Jarvis Jones. That had to be cool. Too bad NFL network is catching all the things I don't care about with 17 hours of coverage.
Yeah, they had those two go 4 times, they each "won" 2. That's a better showing for Bell than it is for Jones.

Le'Veon Bell working with Pittsburgh Steelers starters

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

The Pittsburgh Steelers plan to return to their running roots this season. Rookie Le'Veon Bell is the best candidate to lead the way.

Training camp has just started, and Bell's work with the first team is on the way up. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette notes that Bell had the majority of snaps with the first team in 11-on-11 drills Tuesday, and he ran with the starters more than any other back in pass-protection drills.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin told the Post-Gazette not to read too much into Bell's increased work, "but I'm sure you guys will run with it, so go ahead."

Actions speak louder than words, even from one of our favorite coaches to listen to. The Steelers drafted Bell high to be an every-down back. They aren't wasting any time giving him most of the reps with the first team.

Jonathan Dwyer has lost a lot of weight and Isaac Redman remains in the mix, but they probably are competing for the right to back up Bell.

(Yep, we ran with it.)

The Around The League Podcast is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.

Rotoworld:

The Steelers are implementing zone-blocking schemes in addition to their traditional power-blocking sets.
The Steelers' new offensive line coach, Jack Bicknell Jr., is a zone-blocking proponent. "The reason I like it is, if you have a running play and the defense knows how to fit it and where the ball is going, it's tough in this league in my opinion, to be successful with that," he said. Zone blocking allows running backs to pick their hole as linemen flow toward an area instead of a man. When executed correctly, as shown in the Mike Shanahan offenses, ZBS can lead to massive statistical production at the running back position. Bicknell thinks Le'Veon Bell is a fit for the system.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Rotoworld:

The Steelers are implementing zone-blocking schemes in addition to their traditional power-blocking sets.
The Steelers' new offensive line coach, Jack Bicknell Jr., is a zone-blocking proponent. "The reason I like it is, if you have a running play and the defense knows how to fit it and where the ball is going, it's tough in this league in my opinion, to be successful with that," he said. Zone blocking allows running backs to pick their hole as linemen flow toward an area instead of a man. When executed correctly, as shown in the Mike Shanahan offenses, ZBS can lead to massive statistical production at the running back position. Bicknell thinks Le'Veon Bell is a fit for the system.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Great updates. Thanks.

faust is the update machine of the universe brohans you can take that to the bank and i hope that he keeps on truckin and keepin on like a brohan
:thumbup:

Thanks SWC, and keep on spinning out the great nicknames and player descriptions (spicy fast burrito, epic!), as my whole league has taken to calling Randall "the touchdown robber" Cobber by that sweet moniker.

Take that to the bank Brohan

Rotoworld:

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review calls rookie Steelers RB Le'Veon Bell "the real deal."
Beat writer Mark Kaboly believes there's "no way" the Steelers will be able to keep Bell out of the starting lineup if he continues on the course he's set early in camp. Bell has already been running with the first-team offense, and has drawn universally positive reviews. The Steelers have pledged to establish the run in the past only to abandon it, but sound like they've discovered a legitimate workhorse in Bell. He's shaping up as a legitimate RB2.

Source: Mark Kaboly on Twitter

All studs have talent.

Not all studs are first rd picks.

Therefore not all first-round picks are studs.
Not to be too picky, but taken simply as a matter of a logical statement...that's not true.

All first round picks could still be studs, even if there were studs who were not first round picks.

But yes...the hypocrisy in those statements is strong.

For those that are on the Lacy band wagon have they scene Lacy lately? I am not sure if he got lost at camp and was eatting and training with the O-line or if he ate Harris and Green so there would be more first team reps.

I doubt Lacy would look fast on a tape with him at full speed and everyone else in slow motion.

Users who are viewing this thread