What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (6 Viewers)

We literally have a proxy of this same exact situation too look back at from last year and he didn't do the bolded at all. He was a step behind everyone else. You have to at least entertain the notion that he does that same thing again this year. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. 
Slow start is coming bro......but Bell's slow start is still not terrible. Plus he always has the chance to luckbox some 1 yard TDs. 

In addition, it's possible his slow start lsat year was just due to opponents. CLE and MIN both have stout front 7s. He also did poorly in week 5 against JAX. We now know why ... they're pretty good.
This is very fair. We'll get to test this theory since PIT plays CLE week 1 again this year. 

Yes, we can look back and see an almost identical situation last year as we have going this year. Maybe, just maybe, Bell learned from last year and worked out harder in the offseason and is in better shape coming into camp? Is that possible? #WishfulThinking #FingersCrossed

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
Steelers OC Randy Fichtner does not expect Le'Veon Bell to have a limited workload in Week 1.

"That’s a hard question because that’s Le’Veon Bell," Fichtner responded to a question about his holdout running back being eased in. "There are things he can do that, quite frankly, most people can't do." Bell also held out last summer and ex-OC Todd Haley gave him a modest 13 touches. Bell then got the rock 31 times in Week 2. 16-18 is a reasonable expectation against the Browns.

Source: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter 

Aug 28 - 3:52 PM

Yes, we can look back and see an almost identical situation last year as we have going this year. Maybe, just maybe, Bell learned from last year and worked out harder in the offseason and is in better shape coming into camp? Is that possible? #WishfulThinking #FingersCrossed
Wait, so you want to use last year as an almost identical situation to predict when Bell will sign & report, but ignore last years almost identical situation with regards to Bell’s conditioning and (more Importantly) being in football shape?  Interesting.

Le'Veon Bell denied a report that he'll be joining the Steelers on Labor Day.

Bell called the report "fake news" on his Twitter account. The disgruntled running back has yet to sign his franchise tender while holding out from all offseason activity. He pulled the same stunt in 2017 and was seemingly unaffected by the layoff, so fantasy owners shouldn't have any trepidation drafting him with one of the top two picks. James Connor could be worth adding as a hand-cuff in the off chance that Bell's holdout stretches into the regular season.

Source: Le'Veon Bell on Twitter 

Aug 28 - 7:12 PM

Ruh roh... :unsure:

you could put a lump of coal up most Bell owner’s rears & they’d poop out a diamond about now.

sure, he pulled this stunt last year - but this is this year. 

It’ll probably all work out before week 1. But that’s a pretty ominous blurb. 

Ruh roh... :unsure:

you could put a lump of coal up most Bell owner’s rears & they’d poop out a diamond about now.

sure, he pulled this stunt last year - but this is this year. 

It’ll probably all work out before week 1. But that’s a pretty ominous blurb. 
He'll be there. There is no upside to him sitting out. However I'd be worried about where his head is. Does he want to help this team win?

I love how they call this a "stunt".

At face value, the fact he said "fake news" suggests he's having a bit of fun with a report by someone who has no knowledge of the situation. I see nothing inherently ominous here.
Agreed.   He'll report in time to practice and play in week 1, although they will likely limit his snaps in the opener and give some to Conner.

steal? He's one of the most valuable offensive players in the league.
Someone's mad that their date is flirting with someone else at the prom. He'll be fine when Bell is in uniform and tearing it up. But right now, he's a little miffed at the lack of attention. 

Listening to talk radio this morning here near Pittsburgh & they are saying that they “expect” Bell to report today, but an hour before the scheduled practice & there is no sign.  Also, last year, he reported the Friday after the last preseason game, and that day has come & gone with no word from Bell, other than to say reports that he WOULD be reporting today were “fake news.”

Anyone in/near Pittsburgh have any latest news?

Listening to talk radio this morning here near Pittsburgh & they are saying that they “expect” Bell to report today, but an hour before the scheduled practice & there is no sign.  Also, last year, he reported the Friday after the last preseason game, and that day has come & gone with no word from Bell, other than to say reports that he WOULD be reporting today were “fake news.”

Anyone in/near Pittsburgh have any latest news?
What week does he have to report by to get credit for the season?

He will steal some teams money next year, glad it won't be the Steelers.
He one of the top 5 offensive players in the NFL.  :confused:

why wouldn’t you want the Steelers to have that? He’s been the engine that’s made that offense go the last few seasons.

Part of why AB & Juju are so good is because teams can’t ignore Bell as a rusher or receiver. 

That he didn’t report today should be concerning - this is the 1st practice for the regular season. If I were a Bell owner I’d be worried about week 1. 

I love how they call this a "stunt".

At face value, the fact he said "fake news" suggests he's having a bit of fun with a report by someone who has no knowledge of the situation. I see nothing inherently ominous here.
But now he’s a no-show. 

I’m thinking this isn’t a stunt for a laugh. Dude wants to get paid. 

I’d say it’s now slightly ominous. Not “sky is falling panic run around like your head’s on fire” ominous, but a little ominous for sure. 

Last edited by a moderator:
But now he’s a no-show. 

I’m thinking this isn’t a stunt for a laugh. Dude wants to get paid. 

I’d say it’s now slightly ominous. Not sly is falling panic run around like your head’s on fire” ominous, but a little ominous for sure. 
Yep. This guy wants his. 

What week does he have to report by to get credit for the season?
He can sit out ten games and get credit for the year.

https://in2theleague.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/nfl-cba-series-credited-vs-accrued-seasons/

In order to accrue a season, a player must be on (or should have been on) full pay status for six or more regular season games.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He logged over 400 touches last year so it makes a ton of sense for him to sit out as long as he can so he doesn't add wear and tear and possible career ending injury before he hits his big payday because the Steelers obviously are not going to sign him to a big long-term contract.

Harrison: Don't assume Le'Veon Bell will be back for Week 1

James Harrison, Bell's teammate from 2014-17, recently said of Fox Sports' "Speak for Yourself" that Steelers' fans shouldn't automatically assume that Bell will be back for Pittsburgh's first regular season game. 

“Everyone is saying, ‘When he comes back in Week 1.’ Everybody is assuming he’s going to come back in Week 1," said Harrison, Pittsburgh's all-time leader in sacks. "He has a whole mess of money to lose vs. what he’s gonna lose per week. If I’m in Le’Veon’s situation, I come back with enough time to get my credit for the season, and then I move on. Unless he has a huge insurance policy…there's no way I go into [Week 1] knowing what I would lose.”
Steelers' Le'Veon Bell could reportedly sit out half the year without a long-term deal

In the event the two sides cannot reach an agreement, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Bell is considering sitting out for as much as half of the 2018 season in order to save his body from the wear and tear of another 400-touch season.

If he sits out to protect himself, wonder if Steelers retaliate in some manner. Is there a way for them not not pay him at this point?

I hate his running style, anyway. The tiptoeing to the line drives me nuts. As a spectator, I won't miss Bell .

I think -- think -- he could walk in off the street on game day for Week 1 and be eligible per the CBA. 
No no.

Insurance wouldn't allow that.  He'd have to pass a physical and complete a lot of paperwork before he could step foot on NFL property.

Its a formality but no one can just walk off the street and suit up without the NFL CYAing itself so you would hear he signed.

Just add that last year he signed the Friday before the regular season but the date was September 4th so tomorrow would one-year to the day he signed last year.

He has taken a lot of heat and it seems to have gotten to him so I expect he will sit out longer this year.

No no.

Insurance wouldn't allow that.  He'd have to pass a physical and complete a lot of paperwork before he could step foot on NFL property.

Its a formality but no one can just walk off the street and suit up without the NFL CYAing itself so you would hear he signed.

Just add that last year he signed the Friday before the regular season but the date was September 4th so tomorrow would one-year to the day he signed last year.

He has taken a lot of heat and it seems to have gotten to him so I expect he will sit out longer this year.
Thanks for the info, Bracie. 

He can sit out ten games and get credit for the year.

https://in2theleague.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/nfl-cba-series-credited-vs-accrued-seasons/

In order to accrue a season, a player must be on (or should have been on) full pay status for six or more regular season games.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He logged over 400 touches last year so it makes a ton of sense for him to sit out as long as he can so he doesn't add wear and tear and possible career ending injury before he hits his big payday because the Steelers obviously are not going to sign him to a big long-term contract.

Harrison: Don't assume Le'Veon Bell will be back for Week 1

Steelers' Le'Veon Bell could reportedly sit out half the year without a long-term deal
For anyone drafting this late,  James Conner is jumping up draft boards.

This is from Adam Schefter in July:

“Short-term, I think there’s no question we will not see Le’Veon Bell all summer long. Last summer, he didn’t show up until a week before the opener, and it could be a similar timeline this year – but it also could not be. I think there’s more at stake in this particular year, where basically he could wind up sitting out into the season.”

Steelers could have prevented all this and given him that 2019 deal one year early but they didn’t.

I guess Bell could risk the biggest RB payday in NFL history for his final year with a team that doesn’t think he’s worth that money, but why would anyone do that?

This is from Adam Schefter in July:

“Short-term, I think there’s no question we will not see Le’Veon Bell all summer long. Last summer, he didn’t show up until a week before the opener, and it could be a similar timeline this year – but it also could not be. I think there’s more at stake in this particular year, where basically he could wind up sitting out into the season.”

Steelers could have prevented all this and given him that 2019 deal one year early but they didn’t.

I guess Bell could risk the biggest RB payday in NFL history for his final year with a team that doesn’t think he’s worth that money, but why would anyone do that?
I can think of 14.5 million reasons why.

Ruh Roh

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 5m5 minutes ago

No Le’Veon Bell, still.

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said: “We are disappointed Le'Veon Bell has not signed his franchise tender and rejoined his teammates. (We) will continue to focus on preparing the players on our roster for our regular season opener Sunday against the Browns.”

For anyone drafting this late,  James Conner is jumping up draft boards.
Conner was just named as the sole RB on PFF all preseason team. 

PFF's 2018 NFL All-Preseason Team

RUNNING BACK

James Conner, Pittsburgh Steelers – 82.5

The absence of Le’Veon Bell has dominated the talk in Pittsburgh, but it is another Steelers running back who was our top player at the position during the preseason. Averaging 4.2 yards after contact per attempt, and avoiding five tackles, Conner showed that he is no slouch with the ball in his hands.

Boy, i bet 31 other teams will just line up with 20 million a year for this guy next year.
Seems largely irrelevant as he doesn’t need interest from 31 teams. I bet at least one team will pay him $17MM+/year, provided he emerges from this season relatively healthy.  

Boy, i bet 31 other teams will just line up with 20 million a year for this guy next year.
If you're considering adding him next year, would you rather he hold out and save some wear and tear or gets run into the ground by a team that has no plans to resign him? 

Everyone this off season has been talking about how Pittsburgh can't afford to sign him next year so they might as well use him up.  This might be in Bell's best interests. 

It doesn't take 31 other teams, it takes 1. And he knows that. Why risk 40+ million guaranteed for 14.5M guaranteed? Yes, he could stay healthy and earn both...or he could wreck a knee and never have that earning potential again. 

I get that Steelers and fantasy people are going to be annoyed about it but why be snide about a guy trying to get paid? An elite RB might have one shot at a big contract in his career, IF the timing is right and he stays healthy after his rookie contract. 

If I were Bell, would I have taken the deals reportedly offered to him already by the Steelers? Yeah, because for a RB they were big money. He and his agent obviously don't agree, because he catches more balls and does more for an offense than a guy like Sammy Watkins who we don't even question getting paid because he's a WR (alright to be fair a lot of us questioned the Chiefs on that one but you get the point). 

It doesn't take 31 other teams, it takes 1. And he knows that. Why risk 40+ million guaranteed for 14.5M guaranteed? Yes, he could stay healthy and earn both...or he could wreck a knee and never have that earning potential again. 

I get that Steelers and fantasy people are going to be annoyed about it but why be snide about a guy trying to get paid? An elite RB might have one shot at a big contract in his career, IF the timing is right and he stays healthy after his rookie contract. 

If I were Bell, would I have taken the deals reportedly offered to him already by the Steelers? Yeah, because for a RB they were big money. He and his agent obviously don't agree, because he catches more balls and does more for an offense than a guy like Sammy Watkins who we don't even question getting paid because he's a WR (alright to be fair a lot of us questioned the Chiefs on that one but you get the point). 
I agree with all of this. I also don't think anybody but the hometown fans care. I was always staying away from Bell in fantasy because of this. I just had a discussion with a board member about this very thing last night. There's not even a guarantee he'll choose to play and you're going to blow #2 overall on him? No thanks.  

Or this year.  If the Steelers think Bell really will sit for half the season you got think they start to warm up to trading him.
I don’t think they can.

He is not actually under contract with Pittsburgh, and can only sign the franchise tender to become contracted, since the negotiation deadline has passed.  I believe franchise-tagged players can’t be traded.  

Bell either sits or plays for Pittsburgh, or the Steelers shock the world with a Josh Norman move, pulling the tag offer and turning Bell into an instant free agent.  (Hint:  that won’t happen.)

Or this year.  If the Steelers think Bell really will sit for half the season you got think they start to warm up to trading him.
It makes soo much sense considering they stand to only get a 3rd round compensatory pick which comes at the end of the 3rd round which, in essence makes it a high 4th round pick and they would not get that until 2020.

Oakland has taken such a PR beating in the Khalil Mack fiasco and their RB situation has an old Beast mode and not much else but I'm not sure if they traded their 3rd for Martaveous Bryant or if they still have it since they cut him and he's not on their roster.

A 3rd seems low but it would be more than what they would get if they let this play out and they'd get a pick sooner.

I don’t think they can.

He is not actually under contract with Pittsburgh, and can only sign the franchise tender to become contracted, since the negotiation deadline has passed.  I believe franchise-tagged players can’t be traded.  

Bell either sits or plays for Pittsburgh, or the Steelers shock the world with a Josh Norman move, pulling the tag offer and turning Bell into an instant free agent.  (Hint:  that won’t happen.)
Couldn’t they just sign him to a one year deal same day that the trade goes through?

Couldn’t they just sign him to a one year deal same day that the trade goes through?
No, he won't sign a one-year deal.  That is the reason why he's been holding out for two years.

The best they could get would be a 2019 3rd and the team trading for him would have to sign an extension or consider it a one year rental and that has been done, see Jimmy Garroppolo being traded to the 49ers and then working out an extension.

No, he won't sign a one-year deal.  That is the reason why he's been holding out for two years.

The best they could get would be a 2019 3rd and the team trading for him would have to sign an extension or consider it a one year rental and that has been done, see Jimmy Garroppolo being traded to the 49ers and then working out an extension.
No I mean team X says they’ll give Bell the contract he wants and trade whatever players/picks to the Steelers for him.  Everybody says ok and Bell signs the one year contract allowed by the league so the Steelers have the ability to trade him, then that one year contract gets bought up by the team he’s traded to.

Not saying that’s gonna happen, just that it could be possible and maybe if he sticks to his guns Steelers look into something like that 

Users who are viewing this thread