What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (8 Viewers)

Pittsburgh has to think that they're making the playoffs and will have bell back in time for him to play from December on.  Given the choice between bell and a slightly better 2019 draft pick I think they take bell. Remember that they're planning on paying him 15 million for one year, so they clearly value one year of his production quite a bit. 

No I mean team X says they’ll give Bell the contract he wants and trade whatever players/picks to the Steelers for him.  Everybody says ok and Bell signs the one year contract allowed by the league so the Steelers have the ability to trade him, then that one year contract gets bought up by the team he’s traded to.
It doesn't happen that way.

Teams do not pony-up premo picks/players for a guy who isn't under contract.

The 'best' they could hope for is a 2019 3rd.

Negotiating any deal at all with Bell has been impossible by rule since the July 15th deadline.

Teams are not allowed to offer any terms other than the tag for this year.

No sign-and-trade.  No huge deal from Pittsburgh.  Under the CBA he either signs and plays, or holds out.

https://sportsnaut.com/2018/07/steelers-should-cut-their-losses-trade-leveon-bell/

One of many articles written after 7/15 that seem to think Bell could still be traded.  Mechanics would be awkward like I described but that’s why lawyers make good money.

Personally I don’t think a trade is likely just due to front office stubbornness, not convinced it’s impossible though and if it’s not you can’t rule it out if he’s still sitting on his couch as first few weeks of the season come and go.

If draft were held today, where does Bell go?
If I had a draft today, I would want top be in the top couple picks.  That way you could take Gurley, Zeke, or DJ, and not feel like you missed out.  After that, if you choose not to take him and he shows up and kicks ###, you will be kicking yourself.

If I had a draft today, I would want top be in the top couple picks.  That way you could take Gurley, Zeke, or DJ, and not feel like you missed out.  After that, if you choose not to take him and he shows up and kicks ###, you will be kicking yourself.
yea, because of same situation last year, at #1 I took DJ  :wall:   

this year I took bell  :wall:

Yeah, you might say that. 

That's sort of a pretty basic but solid takeaway from today.  

But right now the people who did draft him #1- #4 and L. Bell is sitting on his couch on week #1 and it is still an uncertainty it is a certain headache for those owners. You can't tell me they wouldn't want to insert Fournette right now in that RB #1 spot  for Week One? I know L. Bell will be back in a Steelers uniform at some point, but right now it is a headache for those who drafted him in the top 4 picks.

But right now the people who did draft him #1- #4 and L. Bell is sitting on his couch on week #1 and it is still an uncertainty it is a certain headache for those owners. You can't tell me they wouldn't want to insert Fournette right now in that RB #1 spot  for Week One? I know L. Bell will be back in a Steelers uniform at some point, but right now it is a headache for those who drafted him in the top 4 picks.
Sure it is a headache for owners. And nobody cares about your fantasy team except maybe those that unconditionally love you, and not even then in all cases. 

Last edited by a moderator:
https://sportsnaut.com/2018/07/steelers-should-cut-their-losses-trade-leveon-bell/

One of many articles written after 7/15 that seem to think Bell could still be traded.  Mechanics would be awkward like I described but that’s why lawyers make good money.

Personally I don’t think a trade is likely just due to front office stubbornness, not convinced it’s impossible though and if it’s not you can’t rule it out if he’s still sitting on his couch as first few weeks of the season come and go.
Niners could sure use him. 

They were about to pony up 2 firsts for Mack...I imagine that package might land Bell? 

yea, because of same situation last year, at #1 I took DJ  :wall:   

this year I took bell  :wall:
We drafted 5 days ago, and I took Conner in the last round of a 10-team, 15-rounder.  As luck would have it, I play the Bell owner in week 1.  Crossing my fingers and hoping to god that Bell sticks to his guns and does not report.

Yep. People can take this very seriously and get frustrated with it, for sure. But Le'Veon really owes no debt to fantasy/roto folk. He owes it to himself and his family to use his talent to leverage the highest wages he can get for toting and catching the ball. 
You are absolutely correct. I look at someone like the Detroit Lions WR Calvin Johnson a few years ago when he retired. Sure he was still a great player, but he was looking out for himself and his health and his future and his family. A very smart thing to do in my opinion.

Yep. People can take this very seriously and get frustrated with it, for sure. But Le'Veon really owes no debt to fantasy/roto folk. He owes it to himself and his family to use his talent to leverage the highest wages he can get for toting and catching the ball. 
personally i understand his talents and feeding his family, but with the 2018 tag, bell will total close to $30 million thus far in his career. does he deserve more, yes, but most folks (99%), could live well for the rest of their lives on $30 m

personally i understand his talents and feeding his family, but with the 2018 tag, bell will total close to $30 million thus far in his career. does he deserve more, yes, but most folks (99%), could live well for the rest of their lives on $30 m
Oh, yes. I agree with you. But still, these are union guys, too. They believe in setting wage parameters and bargaining for better working conditions, etc. 

Oh, yes. I agree with you. But still, these are union guys, too. They believe in setting wage parameters and bargaining for better working conditions, etc. 
So what you are sort of saying is L. Bell is holding out somewhat for the lowest paid player so when it is their payday they will get what they deserve?

So what you are sort of saying is L. Bell is holding out somewhat for the lowest paid player so when it is their payday they will get what they deserve?
Well, it's largely for him and his family, but considerations like setting the market wage at your position is important in unions, yes. 

If draft were held today, where does Bell go?
Still wondering what people are thinking about this. I drafted Bell with the 2nd pick in my first league, and obviously I'm not thrilled right now.

I have my second league's draft tomorrow night. I'm listing out my top RB's, and I'm really not sure where to put Bell. I'm thinking 5 right now...what do you all think?

Still wondering what people are thinking about this. I drafted Bell with the 2nd pick in my first league, and obviously I'm not thrilled right now.

I have my second league's draft tomorrow night. I'm listing out my top RB's, and I'm really not sure where to put Bell. I'm thinking 5 right now...what do you all think?
With this word coming out from Steelers fan that he is going to report on Wednesday I would say 4-5 would be good.

So he reports week 10, is out 9 million, then gets hurt.

Since it is late in the season he may not be ready for week 1 of 2019, so out many more millions. 

It makes too much sense to just report now and play now.  

I do not think he misses any games.

That said i probably dont start him week 1.

To L. Bell owners...at what point is it imperative that  you draft James Connor?

Feel like if you don't get him by round 12th you're getting cute.

PPR keeper startup begins tomorrow night, and I was 95% sure Bell would be gone at 2, an now Im thinking he may be there for me at 4.

I dunno what to do. Gotta take him, right?

So he reports week 10, is out 9 million, then gets hurt.

Since it is late in the season he may not be ready for week 1 of 2019, so out many more millions. 

It makes too much sense to just report now and play now.  

I do not think he misses any games.

That said i probably dont start him week 1.
The dreaded injury could obviously happen at any time.

Devil's advocate, if this is purely about money and next year and nothing else, he would play the first six games. If he gets through that in good health, he could just walk out and get fined for the next ten weeks, accrue his season and hit the market healthy and rested.

Of course people see a move like that as completely reprehensible (bad teammate) yet sitting out on his teammates for the first ten games seems to offend people less. 

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he "hadn't thought about" if Le'Veon Bell will report to the team on Wednesday.

"We'll see," Tomlin continued. "When he gets here, that's when we'll start." Tomlin has obviously considered whether or not one of his best players will be available Week 1, but he is keeping his cards close to the vest. The coach later said he has not been in contact with Bell this week. It would be a shock if Bell continued his holdout into the weekend, a decision which would cost him a game check, but it is possible he reports too late to play a role against the Browns. James Conner needs to be added in all formats.

Source: Ed Bouchette on Twitter 

Sep 4 - 12:16 PM

James Conner smells like the 2018 fantasy SOD all of a sudden. He looked like dual threat beast this preseason and is a must start until Laveon reports.

I think the Khalil Mack situation has added a new resolve to Laveon. I doubt he shows up anytime soon.
Possibly but Mack's situation was completely different.  There really isn't much to gain by not reporting.  He can't get a new contract unless he signs his tender and the Steelers trade him which is NOT going to happen.  I guess he does save so wear & tear but it will cost him almost $900k a week.   

I may be an optimist but I think he reports before Friday,  maybe even tomorrow.

Possibly but Mack's situation was completely different.  There really isn't much to gain by not reporting.  He can't get a new contract unless he signs his tender and the Steelers trade him which is NOT going to happen.  I guess he does save so wear & tear but it will cost him almost $900k a week.   

I may be an optimist but I think he reports before Friday,  maybe even tomorrow.
But he can enter FA with less tread on his tires thereby increasing his value on the open market.  Versus exposing himself for 10 games to catastrophic injury that would surely tank what he could secure...?  I think it's something he'd weigh.

Users who are viewing this thread