What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (6 Viewers)

OK, trying to game this out: As I understand it, there is nothing that can be done with his contract, so the three options are:

1. Report to camp and play under the franchise tag
  2. Sit out up to 10 games, then play out the string and become a free agent
  3. Force a trade to a team that will sign him to a long-term deal
It sounds like he's threatening 2 to get 3. Which is kind of scary since there's nothing the Steelers can do to mollify him other than trade him.
Again, pretty sure 3 is not a real option.  Once he signs the franchise tag, his team (whether it be the Steelers or a team he's traded to) can't negotiate a new contract while under the franchise contract.  That means, IMO, he is possibly utilizing option 2?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, trying to game this out: As I understand it, there is nothing that can be done with his contract, so the three options are:

It sounds like he's threatening 2 to get 3. Which is kind of scary since there's nothing the Steelers can do to mollify him other than trade him.
Don't believe option 3 is fully available. Can force a trade but can't sign a long term deal. I think.

With the Steelers yes but once he signs his tender the Steelers can trade Bell.  At that point another team can sign him to a new long term deal.    Of course that would require a team put up at least a Gurly-sized contract and for Bell to agree to take it.  Unlikely but worth trying if I am the Steelers
I didn't think any team can negotiate a long term deal with him until the offseason.

I don't think #3 is possible - he has to play under the franchise tag this year even if he is traded.

What about the scenario where Bell sits, Connor does great, and teams realize that maybe Bell isn’t the only reason Bell has been so good. Maybe the offense has something to do with it.

Seems like he’d be in for a lesser payday in that case.

Yep, was just coming here to post same thing, this just got a whole other level concerning.

Kind of hard to swallow a guy getting paid more then any RB in the game by a healthy margin dictating his playing time demands. I'm starting to hear stuff like his teammates support for him could wane if he misses games. How about missing games and trying to make demands to not be used to much? I don't think that will play well.
It might not play well, but it would be a logical business decision.  The Steelers worked the hell out of him last year.  On this board (and I'm sure in other places), I've seen people advocating for "running him into the ground" since he won't be back on Pitt next year. 

From a business standpoint (not a Steelers homer or teamate viewpoint), why should Bell allow himself to be subjected to that kind of abuse when he knows all it will do is make him less desirable to a future employer?  If he gets 440 touches again, that's well over 800 touches in the last two years.  Even if he escapes major injury, teams will likely factor that workload in when they decide what kind of contract to offer him.

I realize it might make him unpopular with Steeler fans, football "purists," and some of his teammates.  But from a business standpoint, it's not a bad decision.

What about the scenario where Bell sits, Connor does great, and teams realize that maybe Bell isn’t the only reason Bell has been so good. Maybe the offense has something to do with it.

The offense does have something to do with it, but teams already know how good Bell is.  That's not going to change if Conner does well. 

Again, pretty sure 3 is not a real option.  Once he signs the franchise tag, his team (whether it be the Steelers or a team he's traded to) can't negotiate a new contract while under the franchise contract.  That means, IMO, he is possibly utilizing option 2?

Don't believe option 3 is fully available. Can force a trade but can't sign a long term deal. I think.
Not saying you guys are wrong, but if so, what is he hoping to accomplish by sitting out? Avoiding wear and tear? Because going to a new team and playing out the tag doesn't really do him much good, other than potentially hurting his value if he doesn't perform as well after being thrown into a new situation.

I get that he thinks he's being screwed (and he's mostly right), and that he's trying to exert some kind of leverage, but what can he actually do to improve his situation?

Oh no - this doesn't look good.  Basically Bell's agent saying they don't want the Steelers to run Bell into the ground this year.
this was my assumption, that Steelers will do this to Bell this season, as soon as they franchised him. Bell and his agent are correct on their assumption imo and steelers have shown their hand, even last season, even if we don't like their actions here.

I think I've been reading too many threads at sites dedicated to PIT but there is a sentiment that Bell is already declining (they point towards his YPC and the fact that he only had a handful of explosive plays [20+ yard runs] last year) and they also bring up the fact that their offense was better when Bell was injured/suspended because it was less predictable and Haley would lean more on the vertical passing game.

I haven't looked into either claim but I find their overall sentiment and apparent hatred for Bell interesting.

Not saying you guys are wrong, but if so, what is he hoping to accomplish by sitting out? Avoiding wear and tear? Because going to a new team and playing out the tag doesn't really do him much good, other than potentially hurting his value if he doesn't perform as well after being thrown into a new situation.

I get that he thinks he's being screwed (and he's mostly right), and that he's trying to exert some kind of leverage, but what can he actually do to improve his situation?
Nothing, which is why (IMO) it's more likely that he's planning on sitting out a significant part of the year than just missing one or two games.  The only thing to gain is less wear and tear on his body.  He's giving up close to $1M each game he misses; for that to make sense, he must be hoping that avoiding the heavy workload Pitt probably has planned for him will make up for that money.

correct, but c'mon... who's really going to know what goes on under the sheets
Was thinking the same thing. Bell gets traded to, say, Seattle, plays out under the franchise tag, and then next year at 12:01 on the first day of free agency he magically comes to terms on a LT deal with the Seahawks. Or would the NFL crack down on an obvious end-run around the rules like that?

I don't think that's correct.  Once he signs the tender, they can trade him, but he is still under the franchise tag contract.  And the team and a player under the franchise tag can't discuss a new deal until after the season is over.  That's why Pitt couldn't work on a new deal with him after he signed his tender this year, either.
You could be right

Was thinking the same thing. Bell gets traded to, say, Seattle, plays out under the franchise tag, and then next year at 12:01 on the first day of free agency he magically comes to terms on a LT deal with the Seahawks. Or would the NFL crack down on an obvious end-run around the rules like that?
I don't think there's much the NFL could do without proof, but if you're Bell, you're in the same situation: if you get hurt, this "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" deal might vanish.  Until it's in writing, it doesn't really exist.

I'll take 10 games with Connor hoping that Bell comes back in game 11 and fakes an injury to wimp out the rest of the season.

Win for Connor owners.

I don't think there's much the NFL could do without proof, but if you're Bell, you're in the same situation: if you get hurt, this "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" deal might vanish.  Until it's in writing, it doesn't really exist.
Good point. So I guess it ultimately boils down to whether all the arguments in favor of playing (be a team guy, show he cares about winning, etc) outweigh the argument for maximizing his long-term value by sitting out and avoiding wear and tear. I've been trying to figure out if there are other considerations at play, but I don't think there are.

And would Seattle honor that contract if he had a devastating injury?  Guessing no, so really no point in under the sheets negotiating until next years free agency.

The Steelers would trade this guy in a second, but I am sure Bell wont sign until a deal is ironed out with, Houston lets say?  Detroit?  Whoever.

That might be easy for a team that has the cap space.   Just give him whatever he wants.  

But what do the Steeler get for a top tier RB at the start of what was supposed to be a super bowl run season?  A 1st rd pick?  A stud LB?  Both?

The Steelers would trade this guy in a second, but I am sure Bell wont sign until a deal is ironed out with, Houston lets say?  Detroit?  Whoever.

That might be easy for a team that has the cap space.   Just give him whatever he wants.  

But what do the Steeler get for a top tier RB at the start of what was supposed to be a super bowl run season?  A 1st rd pick?  A stud LB?  Both?
Ummmm, they can't trade him because he won't sign.  He isn't going to sign just to go to another team and risk whatever it is he is currently trying to accomplish

That and he cant sign any new deal until free agency next year.

I do find this interesting.  Johnny Football is spotted in costumes when nobody is even looking for him, but we have zilch on any Bell sightings by anyone in the damn world.  Weird.
Exactly. I mean, wasn't his trainer mentioned in here somewhere? One would think someone would have a shot of him heading to or leaving the gym. Something. 

So, roster exempt status could make this even more convoluted. The Steelers could sign a new player to the 53, but my understanding is that they would have to negotiate his salary for weeks 1 and 2, even if he does try to show up now. It would be a way for the Steelers to basically say, you're not start worthy right now so we're not paying you the full amount to sit on the bench.

Not sure that will entice him to show up. 

The last player I can think of who did this was Vincent Jackson, and a couple seasons later he was terrible. This whole situation doesn't make me feel great as a dynasty owner, but I'm really glad I own him in 0 redraft leagues, but James Conner in every league. 

Why keep it a secret, when he will report? What benefit is there? They can't give him a long term contract, so why not tell the team you will be showing up on X date? That helps the team and your teammates know what to prepare for. 

Hidden Gem for you Yahoo leagues btw. If Bell misses this week and your TE is not strong consider Samuels. He is RB/TE designation and will get touches out of the back field.
If a guy getting maybe 40 rushing yards is more promising than your current starting TE, then you're in a lot of trouble.

Bell is getting screwed by the Steelers, but I'm not sure what he has to gain by holding out.  He's basically has one option, played 6 games for $5.4 million and decide how many other $900,000 checks he would like to cash this year.  He still risks an injury if he only plays 6 games and other than a Bridgewater injury which didn't occur during a game, he's not going to lose $10 million in value if he gets hurt.

Ummmm, they can't trade him because he won't sign.  He isn't going to sign just to go to another team and risk whatever it is he is currently trying to accomplish

That and he cant sign any new deal until free agency next year.
Obviously he doesnt sign the tag unless the team trading for him hasnt at least made a hypothetical offer to his agent(wink wink).  Seattle can swing it.  Let him run behind that POS Oline, he wont be worth $14M, let alone the $17M he wants.  

Why keep it a secret, when he will report? What benefit is there? They can't give him a long term contract, so why not tell the team you will be showing up on X date? That helps the team and your teammates know what to prepare for. 
I think even the people on Bell's side should agree with this - it's certainly his right to hold out for 10 weeks if that is his intention but he should be up-front about his plans.

Obviously he doesnt sign the tag unless the team trading for him hasnt at least made a hypothetical offer to his agent(wink wink).  Seattle can swing it.  Let him run behind that POS Oline, he wont be worth $14M, let alone the $17M he wants.  
A hypothetical "wink wink" doesn't matter much if he blows out his knee or tears his ACL.  Sure, people recover from things like that now, but do you think he's going to get a massive deal coming off an ACL tear, with the amount of mileage he has on him in his short career?

I'm curious about Bell's status regarding the NFL's drug intervention program. His last suspension was at the start of the 2016 season.

What kind of suspension does Bell face if he is popped again for weed?

Might be a small reason the Steelers were reluctant to guarantee money upfront.

I think even the people on Bell's side should agree with this - it's certainly his right to hold out for 10 weeks if that is his intention but he should be up-front about his plans.
Why?  Neither you or I know how the negotiations of the last few years went down.  Perhaps Bell is a little upset about how the Steelers didn't "do right by him," after he saw them do so by Brown, after he saw them do right several times by Ben, after he saw the Rams do right by Gurley?  Why should he go out of his way to do them any favors.

We also know that just two days ago, the Steelers GM felt it necessary to scold Bell in the media about not showing up on Monday.  He didn't need to put out that statement.  He could have said no comment if he was asked, or he could have said "Bell isn't under contract until he signs the tag, he's not obligated to show up until he does so."  He didn't; he chose to say he was dissappointed that Bell hasn't joined his teammates; making it seem as if Bell owed it to them (but the Steelers don't owe Bell anything for all he had done for the franchise, while being very underpaid prior to last year).

They get nothing.  The only way a team trades for him is if they lost their RB & have a legit shot at playoffs/SB.  This will be the very definition of a "rental" player.  This new team can't sign him to a long term deal, and after the last few years, I'm sure Bell will want to test the FA market.

Bell is getting screwed by the Steelers...
I don't agree with this even if they did give him a "low ball" offer (not going to argue the numbers because we don't really know for sure).  The Steelers value Bell at a certain price over the next 5 years given their roster, etc.  Bell disagreed, and he can earn 14.5 million this year if he plays the whole year (not arguing whether he should/shouldn't hold out).  The Steelers don't want to pay him "Gurley Money" so the only other option for both parties is the franchise tag.  Both parties doing what is in their best interest.

The whole point of this exercise looks be to help himself.  If he is doing this (holding out a significant amount of games), he's doing it because it is in HIS best interests.  There's no logical reason to expect him to help the Steelers out.  The fact that he's doing this is a bit of a sign that he feels that the Steelers haven't gone out of their way to help him out, so what does he owe them?

I don't agree with this even if they did give him a "low ball" offer (not going to argue the numbers because we don't really know for sure).  The Steelers value Bell at a certain price over the next 5 years given their roster, etc.  Bell disagreed, and he can earn 14.5 million this year if he plays the whole year (not arguing whether he should/shouldn't hold out).  The Steelers don't want to pay him "Gurley Money" so the only other option for both parties is the franchise tag.  Both parties doing what is in their best interest.
But you want that to change now?  Bell telling Pitt when he wants to report isn't in his best interest, yet you argue that he should do so.  Doesn't make logical sense.

Why?  Neither you or I know how the negotiations of the last few years went down.  Perhaps Bell is a little upset about how the Steelers didn't "do right by him," after he saw them do so by Brown, after he saw them do right several times by Ben, after he saw the Rams do right by Gurley?  Why should he go out of his way to do them any favors.

We also know that just two days ago, the Steelers GM felt it necessary to scold Bell in the media about not showing up on Monday.  He didn't need to put out that statement.  He could have said no comment if he was asked, or he could have said "Bell isn't under contract until he signs the tag, he's not obligated to show up until he does so."  He didn't; he chose to say he was dissappointed that Bell hasn't joined his teammates; making it seem as if Bell owed it to them (but the Steelers don't owe Bell anything for all he had done for the franchise, while being very underpaid prior to last year).
Why?  Because it's the right thing to do.  Ever heard of taking the high road?  You can be honorable even if feel you are being screwed by someone.

Maybe the GM made the public statement about being disappointed because Bell said he would be there this week and then back tracked.

I should have said by "screwed by the CBA".  The Steelers don't have any options now but to pay him 14.5 or let him walk.

Exactly, the last sentence tells you all you need to know about the guy. Good riddance.

So nobody should be upset that Bell is doing what is in his best interests. Steeler could care less about Bell. Why should he care about the Steelers?

Le'Veon Bell's agent Adisa Bakari just now on NFL LIVE: "He's going to do the things necessary to protect his value long-term." 

Week 1 sure sounds like a long-shot.

Users who are viewing this thread