What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (5 Viewers)

And again.......why would the Steelers put him on the field when he & his agent both said he is preserving his body. No way will there be any kind of honest effort.  Why do people not grasp this?
NFL is a week-to-week business. A lot changed over this last week... no serious response to trade rumors and Sunday loss in a "winnable" divisional game where there was no trust in the RB position.

I will be very surprised to hear anything negative from PIT or Bell from here on out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm probably missing something, but I really hope Bell doesn't suit up for the Steelers at all this year.  I don't think he can be trusted when he focus is entirely on his contract next year.
LOL

Every single player’s focus is their next contract. You are nuts to think otherwise for even a second. 

Agreed on all of that, to a point.  But I suppose the impact you can get from a starting, elite RB over a backup QB should mitigate at least a chunk of that risk.

And with Bell, it's not just about running the football.  His value is more because he's a great receiver, not just a good runner.
Here's the thing. You mentioned that if a playoff caliber team needed a RB to put them into the elite category . . . but there is a limited market for that when you consider:

1) How many teams are truly playoff caliber? While no one is in danger of being eliminated just yet, BUF, NYJ, CLE, HOU, IND, OAK, NYG, DET, SFO, ARI aren't looking that great at the moment. That's 10 teams.

2) How many teams need a running back or have already invested in the RB spot? NE, CIN, JAX, KC, LAC, DAL, CHI, MIN, NOS, CAR, ATL, LAR aren't exactly looking to add a RB. That's another 12 teams.

3) There are teams it doesn't really make sense to trade Bell to. Within the division or to AFC competitors. No point in making the competition better. So you can likely add BAL, TEN, and DEN to the list. I am tempted to add PHI here, as the last thing PIT wants is the improve their local competition and draw attention to another local team. That's 4 more teams and brings the total I've listed to 26 teams. That only leaves 6 teams.

4) The acquiring team has to have the cap space to add Bell (or make roster moves to be able to obtain him). The leftover teams not on the list are GB, MIA, IND, WAS, SEA, and TBB. The only teams that stands out as one that is "one elite RB away" is GB. I looked at the salary cap situation for those teams. In terms of cap space, IND has enough rook to take on Bell 4 times over. MIA had $9.7M, WAS $9.4, SEA $5.6, TB $4.9M, and GB only $2.9M.

So based on all that, it looks like GB would be the target trade partner if they wanted to take on Bell. But they also know there are not a lot of teams in consideration, so I don't think they would jump at the chance to toss in a big offer.

Bell aside, the PIT defense still ranks 30th in yards allowed and 26th in points allowed. Not sure that moving Bell would help improve the defense (unless they somehow made another trade to bring in an impact defender).

LOL

Every single player’s focus is their next contract. You are nuts to think otherwise for even a second. 
Agree to disagree on that. Yes, people are concerned about their health and everything. But to think everyone is in a situation remotely similar to Bell is a bit ridiculous.

Here's the thing. You mentioned that if a playoff caliber team needed a RB to put them into the elite category . . . but there is a limited market for that when you consider:

1) How many teams are truly playoff caliber? While no one is in danger of being eliminated just yet, BUF, NYJ, CLE, HOU, IND, OAK, NYG, DET, SFO, ARI aren't looking that great at the moment. That's 10 teams.

2) How many teams need a running back or have already invested in the RB spot? NE, CIN, JAX, KC, LAC, DAL, CHI, MIN, NOS, CAR, ATL, LAR aren't exactly looking to add a RB. That's another 12 teams.

3) There are teams it doesn't really make sense to trade Bell to. Within the division or to AFC competitors. No point in making the competition better. So you can likely add BAL, TEN, and DEN to the list. I am tempted to add PHI here, as the last thing PIT wants is the improve their local competition and draw attention to another local team. That's 4 more teams and brings the total I've listed to 26 teams. That only leaves 6 teams.

4) The acquiring team has to have the cap space to add Bell (or make roster moves to be able to obtain him). The leftover teams not on the list are GB, MIA, IND, WAS, SEA, and TBB. The only teams that stands out as one that is "one elite RB away" is GB. I looked at the salary cap situation for those teams. In terms of cap space, IND has enough rook to take on Bell 4 times over. MIA had $9.7M, WAS $9.4, SEA $5.6, TB $4.9M, and GB only $2.9M.

So based on all that, it looks like GB would be the target trade partner if they wanted to take on Bell. But they also know there are not a lot of teams in consideration, so I don't think they would jump at the chance to toss in a big offer.

Bell aside, the PIT defense still ranks 30th in yards allowed and 26th in points allowed. Not sure that moving Bell would help improve the defense (unless they somehow made another trade to bring in an impact defender).
I agree with most of that and the market for him would be extremely limited, but not non-existent.  I wouldn't think they'd care at all about trading him to Philly - there's no cross-state rivalry between them.

And yeah, I've said multiple times that it doesn't matter if Bell reports or not, the Steelers aren't going to contend with a defense this bad. It won't be a quick fix, but they'll need to address the defense in free agency and the draft next year. They'll have a few extra dollars to spend from money saved by Bell not reporting, too.

I'm wondering why he waited until after week 4 to make a statement like this. Why not before the season? What did he gain with his silence? This whole thing is so stupid.
Because BAL happened in week 4.

You know that PIT reached out to him, right? Am I the only one jumping to this conclusion (can't be). It seemed obvious... teams are not worried about Conner. That screws everything else up on offense. PIT needs Bell, Bell needs PIT. Period.

Because they're currently below .500 w/ huge division games coming up vs CIN (wk 6), CLE (wk 8), and BAL (wk 9). They lose two of the three and they're chances of making the playoffs are likely shot. 
He won't be back for the CIN game and probably wouldn't see much time on the field against CLE which is week after he says he'll be back. So it's pointless.

And again.......why would the Steelers put him on the field when he & his agent both said he is preserving his body. No way will there be any kind of honest effort.  Why do people not grasp this?
I may be naive but if Bell suits up he is going to play hard.  If there is one thing that is important to him it is getting paid and showing up out of shape and playing below standard is not the best way to get a big contract.

I think a trade is still very unlikely and if he truly does show up mid-season it will be with the Steelers.   If the Steelers blow the next two games they'll be 1-4-1 and at that point I would weigh the cost of paying him vs just rescinding the tag and lose the comp pick.   If the Steelers win the next two games they would be 3-2-1 and I do not hesitate putting him out there and see how he performs.   If he sucks or is a cancer you can always deactivate him.

I agree with most of that and the market for him would be extremely limited, but not non-existent.  I wouldn't think they'd care at all about trading him to Philly - there's no cross-state rivalry between them.

And yeah, I've said multiple times that it doesn't matter if Bell reports or not, the Steelers aren't going to contend with a defense this bad. It won't be a quick fix, but they'll need to address the defense in free agency and the draft next year. They'll have a few extra dollars to spend from money saved by Bell not reporting, too.
According to Overthecap, PIT has $17 million in cap room for next year as currently constituted without calculating any credit for Bell from this year. Per their numbers, that's 29th in terms of effective available cap space at $10.5M (again, pre-Bell adjustment). If we given them full credit for Bell and bump that number up to $25 million, that would get them up to 20th in available cap space. Many other teams dwarf that total.

He won't be back for the CIN game and probably wouldn't see much time on the field against CLE which is week after he says he'll be back. So it's pointless.
I know that he won't be back for the CIN game, I was mainly pointing out their schedule w/ 3 HUGE division games back to back to back. PIT is going to be in a big time fight for a playoff spot given their slow start. If they feel he can help their chances of winning a game, especially a division game, I think he's going to play (assuming he's back as he's said he will be)

It is business.  They are negotiating.  What you see happening right now is a result of both sides looking out for their own best interests.  Both sides seeking to get the most they can out of the situation.

I negotiate a lot in my work.  I can't recall an adult ever calling the other side of a business negotiation names or insult them.... that would be nuts, and embarrassing.
You could've saved some time and just said, "Let the adults talk, m-kay."

According to Overthecap, PIT has $17 million in cap room for next year as currently constituted without calculating any credit for Bell from this year. Per their numbers, that's 29th in terms of effective available cap space at $10.5M (again, pre-Bell adjustment). If we given them full credit for Bell and bump that number up to $25 million, that would get them up to 20th in available cap space. Many other teams dwarf that total.
It is what it is.  They're always up against the cap, and they'll find players that can help that fit, maybe restructure a couple along the way.  They'll figure it out or the defense will continue to suck. 

Because BAL happened in week 4.

You know that PIT reached out to him, right? Am I the only one jumping to this conclusion (can't be). It seemed obvious... teams are not worried about Conner. That screws everything else up on offense. PIT needs Bell, Bell needs PIT. Period.
They reached out and said what? Pretty please come back? The Steelers didn't know Bell was head over heels better than Conner before week 4? Bell only decided to make a statement because the Steelers contacted him and begged him to return? Makes no sense. Bell spoke out now because he and his agent are making it up as they go along.

I may be naive but if Bell suits up he is going to play hard.  If there is one thing that is important to him it is getting paid and showing up out of shape and playing below standard is not the best way to get a big contract.

I think a trade is still very unlikely and if he truly does show up mid-season it will be with the Steelers.   If the Steelers blow the next two games they'll be 1-4-1 and at that point I would weigh the cost of paying him vs just rescinding the tag and lose the comp pick.   If the Steelers win the next two games they would be 3-2-1 and I do not hesitate putting him out there and see how he performs.   If he sucks or is a cancer you can always deactivate him.
Exactly. The guy is going to play hard. What's the line from Little Big League after the pompous pitcher says he's going to tank just to rub it in the face of the kid coach? " Hey Mac, what's the going rate for an absent-minded pitcherwho can't get anybody out"

If Bell half asses it, his price goes down. His sole goal is to make as much as he can. 

They reached out and said what? Pretty please come back? The Steelers didn't know Bell was head over heels better than Conner before week 4? Bell only decided to make a statement because the Steelers contacted him and begged him to return? Makes no sense. Bell spoke out now because he and his agent are making it up as they go along.
How could they have?  Up to that point, as @Donkey Derpkept posting, Conner had been better than Bell for the first 3 games of the season, and for the first 3 starts of his career, and he had better numbers in college, and in HS, and in flag football, and in Madden.  So how could the Steelers have known that Bell was better than Conner, and that one outlier game was skewing the small sample size of Conner’s NFL games?  How could they possibly have known this?

How could they have?  Up to that point, as @Donkey Derpkept posting, Conner had been better than Bell for the first 3 games of the season, and for the first 3 starts of his career, and he had better numbers in college, and in HS, and in flag football, and in Madden.  So how could the Steelers have known that Bell was better than Conner, and that one outlier game was skewing the small sample size of Conner’s NFL games?  How could they possibly have known this?
Is this a serious post? They were both on the roster the entire season last year.  I'm pretty sure the coaches would know if they had a superstar sitting on the bench.

Is this a serious post? They were both on the roster the entire season last year.  I'm pretty sure the coaches would know if they had a superstar sitting on the bench.
I was exaggerating when I said he brought up HS & Madden stats, but yes, he seriously argued that Conners was comparable to Bell because he had better FF stats in the 1st 3 games of this year (vs Bell’s 2017), and Conners 1st 3 starts vs Bells first 3 starts, and their college stats.  

They reached out and said what? Pretty please come back?
Yes. Exactly.

And I'm sure Bell was, "Oh thank God... I'm bored off my ###"

Keep in mind that the Steelers ORG, Steelers players, Bell, Bell's agent... all want the same thing.

Yes. Exactly.

And I'm sure Bell was, "Oh thank God... I'm bored off my ###"

Keep in mind that the Steelers ORG, Steelers players, Bell, Bell's agent... all want the same thing.
I haven't been following along in the thread so i'm not sure who is being serious and who isn't.

I've said this right from the beginning - he should have told the Steelers his intentions before week 1.  His silence males no sense for HIM.
No, he should've told the Steelers his intentions to sit out like this in July when the Steelers could've realistically tagged and traded him to a team willing to offer him the deal he wants.  His silence wasn't going to get the Steelers to rescind the tag, so in effect he had nothing to gain by doing it. Granted, the Steelers lost his services for however many games, but he lost a year of his prime, millions of dollars this year, and a chance to start getting paid a year earlier by another team.

He can say what he wants, but he knew then and he knows now that he's not getting what he wants from the Steelers.  Even if the Steelers wanted to, they can't tie that money up with Ben and Brown already getting paid and a defense that clearly needs work.

Dizzy said:
No, they don't.

Thus the negotiating - by definition.  If they both wanted the same thing this doesn't happen in the first place.

No, he should've told the Steelers his intentions to sit out like this in July when the Steelers could've realistically tagged and traded him to a team willing to offer him the deal he wants.  His silence wasn't going to get the Steelers to rescind the tag, so in effect he had nothing to gain by doing it. Granted, the Steelers lost his services for however many games, but he lost a year of his prime, millions of dollars this year, and a chance to start getting paid a year earlier by another team.

He can say what he wants, but he knew then and he knows now that he's not getting what he wants from the Steelers.  Even if the Steelers wanted to, they can't tie that money up with Ben and Brown already getting paid and a defense that clearly needs work.
You could say the Steelers didn't do themselves any favors either by not telling him they would trade him to a team that wanted to give him that deal. 

It's funny. It's like the Steelers are winning here to steeler fans. They are wasting a prime Big Ben year playing hardball. 

It's funny. It's like the Steelers are winning here to steeler fans. They are wasting a prime Big Ben year playing hardball. 
No, they aren't. Again, this year wasn't going anywhere with that defense. A year of Ben is being wasted, but it's not because of anything Bell did or didn't do. That opinion is shared by a majority of Steelers fans also. 

I know, I know... they should've done the "right" thing and let him have his free agency. Agree to disagree on that. That's not playing hardball, that's playing by the rules.

The Steelers didn't have any reason to think they HAD to trade him. As far as they and everyone else were concerned, he'd be reporting.  All he had to do was say he wasn't and they could've done something about it.  And maybe Bell initially planned to report but changed his mind when other guys in completely different situations got big contracts. We'll never know.

It's not about winning or losing. Neither side won, both lost. I just don't fault the Steelers for the decisions they've made.

No, they aren't. Again, this year wasn't going anywhere with that defense. A year of Ben is being wasted, but it's not because of anything Bell did or didn't do. That opinion is shared by a majority of Steelers fans also. 

I know, I know... they should've done the "right" thing and let him have his free agency. Agree to disagree on that. That's not playing hardball, that's playing by the rules.

The Steelers didn't have any reason to think they HAD to trade him. As far as they and everyone else were concerned, he'd be reporting.  All he had to do was say he wasn't and they could've done something about it.  And maybe Bell initially planned to report but changed his mind when other guys in completely different situations got big contracts. We'll never know.

It's not about winning or losing. Neither side won, both lost. I just don't fault the Steelers for the decisions they've made.
Meh if they treated him with more resepect they'd be 3-1 or 2-2 with him and some SB equity. They played hardball and are really paying a heavier price than Bell. Bell is paying a big price doing what he thinks is best too. 

Meh if they treated him with more resepect they'd be 3-1 or 2-2 with him and some SB equity. They played hardball and are really paying a heavier price than Bell. Bell is paying a big price doing what he thinks is best too. 
Sure they would. You're entitled to that opinion, but I disagree with it. All good though, and we've been through that enough.   

But don't play the respect card. He got every bit of respect that he ever deserved from the Steelers. You're talking about a guy who was irresponsible and got himself suspended twice and then showed a lack of respect for the entire organization by skipping the walkthrough and arriving late for the playoff loss against the Jags LAST YEAR.  If he wanted more "respect" then he should've acted more professional. It's about more than the numbers if you want the big guaranteed contract.

You are missing an angle here. This is what I think most likely happened.

Bell tells his agent he wants to stay a Steeler. Bell's agent says "Okay, but you need to keep quiet.  If you don't they might try to trade you and it will make negotiations more difficult.

Bell says okay and thinks a deal will get done. The deadline passes and no deal, and he is upset, especially at the deal offered, with the guarantees. He probably thinks okay, I am holding out until week 1, just like last year. Then Gurley and Johnson both get their deals and he is fuming Now plans to hold out a bit longer to prove his point.

If Bell really wants to stay with the Steelers at no point would it have helped him to tell them he planned on holding out,  and I believe he didn't plan on holding out until the Gurley and Johnson deals got done.

You are missing an angle here. This is what I think most likely happened.

Bell tells his agent he wants to stay a Steeler. Bell's agent says "Okay, but you need to keep quiet.  If you don't they might try to trade you and it will make negotiations more difficult.

Bell says okay and thinks a deal will get done. The deadline passes and no deal, and he is upset, especially at the deal offered, with the guarantees. He probably thinks okay, I am holding out until week 1, just like last year. Then Gurley and Johnson both get their deals and he is fuming Now plans to hold out a bit longer to prove his point.

If Bell really wants to stay with the Steelers at no point would it have helped him to tell them he planned on holding out,  and I believe he didn't plan on holding out until the Gurley and Johnson deals got done.
Is it possible that his agent told him to stay quiet?  Sure. Who knows. If that's the case, he got awful advice from his agent. But then again, his agent reportedly thought Bell was going to sign the deal the Steelers offered him LAST year (5 years, $60 million with $30M in the first 2 years) and it was Bell's decision to walk away from it at the last second. So, I don't think the Steelers had any intention of offering more or meeting his reported asking price this year. They never tried.

If he compares his track record to Gurley or Johnson and considers them similar, great. They're not. And neither are their teams' salary cap situations because St Louis and Arizona have QBs on rookie deals.

I believe he's saying that he wants to remain a Steeler, but in the end, he'll go to the highest bidder. But of course he'd want to stay in Pittsburgh to play with Ben, Brown, JuJu, a good line, and a chance to put up big numbers every year. He's highly unlikely to end up in a situation that good next year, and he has to know it.

Is it possible that his agent told him to stay quiet?  Sure. Who knows. If that's the case, he got awful advice from his agent. But then again, his agent reportedly thought Bell was going to sign the deal the Steelers offered him LAST year (5 years, $60 million with $30M in the first 2 years) and it was Bell's decision to walk away from it at the last second. So, I don't think the Steelers had any intention of offering more or meeting his reported asking price this year. They never tried.

If he compares his track record to Gurley or Johnson and considers them similar, great. They're not. And neither are their teams' salary cap situations because St Louis and Arizona have QBs on rookie deals.

I believe he's saying that he wants to remain a Steeler, but in the end, he'll go to the highest bidder. But of course he'd want to stay in Pittsburgh to play with Ben, Brown, JuJu, a good line, and a chance to put up big numbers every year. He's highly unlikely to end up in a situation that good next year, and he has to know it.
What do you mean by this?

That offer last year wasn't that good either. Even with Bell playing roughly half a season this year he is going to get 20 million from the Steelers in guarantees in 2 years instead of 30 for 5.

What do you mean by this?
Again, it goes beyond the numbers. You're talking about Bell, who has two suspensions on his track record as well as skipping the walkthrough and arriving late for the playoff loss in 2017 against Jacksonville. That doesn't sit well with the Steelers. Neither Gurley or Johnson have any off-the-field issues or concerns at all, and they were rewarded for both their production and their reliability. Bell's production is top notch, but that only tells half the story.

It's out of his control, but his situation also differs in that neither Arizona or St. Louis have a QB making franchise QB money. He's trying to get a long term deal with a huge guarantee from a team that has a franchise QB making big money and a franchise WR making big money already.

Huge differences between Bell and Gurley/Johnson that go beyond their numbers.

Sure they would. You're entitled to that opinion, but I disagree with it. All good though, and we've been through that enough.   

But don't play the respect card. He got every bit of respect that he ever deserved from the Steelers. You're talking about a guy who was irresponsible and got himself suspended twice and then showed a lack of respect for the entire organization by skipping the walkthrough and arriving late for the playoff loss against the Jags LAST YEAR.  If he wanted more "respect" then he should've acted more professional. It's about more than the numbers if you want the big guaranteed contract.
No he didn't. They rode him into the ground then asked him to take a pay cut. 

Again, it goes beyond the numbers. You're talking about Bell, who has two suspensions on his track record as well as skipping the walkthrough and arriving late for the playoff loss in 2017 against Jacksonville. That doesn't sit well with the Steelers. Neither Gurley or Johnson have any off-the-field issues or concerns at all, and they were rewarded for both their production and their reliability. Bell's production is top notch, but that only tells half the story.

It's out of his control, but his situation also differs in that neither Arizona or St. Louis have a QB making franchise QB money. He's trying to get a long term deal with a huge guarantee from a team that has a franchise QB making big money and a franchise WR making big money already.

Huge differences between Bell and Gurley/Johnson that go beyond their numbers.
1st. You don't know if they have any off the field issues. According to the CBA they can fail up to 3 drug tests before getting a suspension and they aren't leaked until they are close to a suspension. You are also way over blowing the two suspensions. He was never in any danger of anything more than a 4 game suspension and he is out of the program. As far as showing up late everything I have looked up shows Bell had an excuse and that Tomlin knew about and was okay with it. In most of the articles it even says

Tomlin wants players and coaches to report to the locker room two hours before kickoff for games,” Bouchette wrote. “That was continually ignored by both players and a coach or two.

I can't find any quotes from Tomlin being angry about Bell being late and it isn't like him to just be quiet. How come Bell wasn't punished for the game?

As far as reliability Johnson just missed an entire year. Injuries can happen at anytime.

You continue to say it is out of his control and hold it against him. It isn't his fault the Steelers have been in cap hell for a few years.

No he didn't. They rode him into the ground then asked him to take a pay cut. 
BS.  He got paid $12M or $13M for his 2017 season. And then he skipped the walkthrough and was late for a playoff game, which sent a very strong message to the front office about his reliability. He's never at any point in his career acted like a player worthy of a long term guarantee off the field regardless of what his numbers say on it. You favor the player over the team, great. But it's not just about his stats even though that's all the player seems to care about.

If he had signed the offer last year like his agent wanted him to, he would've received $30M between last year and this year, and he'd still be under contract going forward. He's had his chances. Next offseason, someone will pay him more than he's proven himself to be worth in Pittsburgh.

1st. You don't know if they have any off the field issues. According to the CBA they can fail up to 3 drug tests before getting a suspension and they aren't leaked until they are close to a suspension. You are also way over blowing the two suspensions. He was never in any danger of anything more than a 4 game suspension and he is out of the program. As far as showing up late everything I have looked up shows Bell had an excuse and that Tomlin knew about and was okay with it. In most of the articles it even says

Tomlin wants players and coaches to report to the locker room two hours before kickoff for games,” Bouchette wrote. “That was continually ignored by both players and a coach or two.

I can't find any quotes from Tomlin being angry about Bell being late and it isn't like him to just be quiet. How come Bell wasn't punished for the game?

As far as reliability Johnson just missed an entire year. Injuries can happen at anytime.

You continue to say it is out of his control and hold it against him. It isn't his fault the Steelers have been in cap hell for a few years.
It was big news in Pittsburgh at the time, but I'm too lazy to find stuff again. It doesn't matter now. Those players or coaches who ignored the rule aren't seeking long term massive guarantees. Bell is. It speaks to an overall lack of discipline in the Steelers organization that's been growing for years, but that's a whole other issue. If Bell wants a massive contract like that, he shouldn't be one of the ones ignoring the rules.

No matter what future danger Bell was in regarding suspensions, it spoke to his judgement to put himself into that position twice in back to back years. That's not overstating it. That's a fact.

And I didn't even mention Bell's injuries because they're part of football.  Johnson missed a year with a hand injury, Gurley had ACL surgery in college.  Bell missed half of one season with a knee injury, and twice he was knocked out of playoff losses with knee injuries.  I don't hold those against him, that's just football.  But it's not like he hasn't had injury issues too.

I don't hold the Steelers' cap situation against him either. They signed who they wanted, and it wasn't Bell. But, it IS a reason why he can't get what he wants from the Steelers.

It was big news in Pittsburgh at the time, but I'm too lazy to find stuff again. It doesn't matter now. Those players or coaches who ignored the rule aren't seeking long term massive guarantees. Bell is. It speaks to an overall lack of discipline in the Steelers organization that's been growing for years, but that's a whole other issue. If Bell wants a massive contract like that, he shouldn't be one of the ones ignoring the rules.

No matter what future danger Bell was in regarding suspensions, it spoke to his judgement to put himself into that position twice in back to back years. That's not overstating it. That's a fact.

And I didn't even mention Bell's injuries because they're part of football.  Johnson missed a year with a hand injury, Gurley had ACL surgery in college.  Bell missed half of one season with a knee injury, and twice he was knocked out of playoff losses with knee injuries.  I don't hold those against him, that's just football.  But it's not like he hasn't had injury issues too.

I don't hold the Steelers' cap situation against him either. They signed who they wanted, and it wasn't Bell. But, it IS a reason why he can't get what he wants from the Steelers.
Your first paragraph is funny. It was big news in Pittsburgh because they lost and fans needed someone to blame. 

Go read the stories, it sounds like Bell had a legit excuse and Tomlin was okay with it. It has nothing to do with being unprofessional or undisciplined. He asked for personal time and it was granted. 

Brown and Ben just signed big contracts recently. Do you know if they abused the rule? 

You have been holding the missed walk through against Bell this entire thread and now in this post you act like it is no big deal. 

You are over stating the suspensions. Why? Because the Steelers were in no danger of being on the hook if he did it again. These contracts always have clauses in them for things like this. Plus the decisions he made were years earlier. People grow up and change and if the Steelers were really worried about his character and professionaslism they would never even offered him the 5 year 60 million dollar deal. They see him every day, they knew he wasn't making the same mistakes.

They tried to get out on the cheap and Bell said no, then they tried to franchise and run him into the ground and he held out. The Steelers are the ones that messed this up. You said it yourself in your first paragraph. The Steelers have a lack of discipline that has been growing for years. 

BS.  He got paid $12M or $13M for his 2017 season. And then he skipped the walkthrough and was late for a playoff game, which sent a very strong message to the front office about his reliability. He's never at any point in his career acted like a player worthy of a long term guarantee off the field regardless of what his numbers say on it. You favor the player over the team, great. But it's not just about his stats even though that's all the player seems to care about.

If he had signed the offer last year like his agent wanted him to, he would've received $30M between last year and this year, and he'd still be under contract going forward. He's had his chances. Next offseason, someone will pay him more than he's proven himself to be worth in Pittsburgh.
If someone will pay him then it's not more than he's worth......enjoy the wasted year Steelers. 

Your first paragraph is funny. It was big news in Pittsburgh because they lost and fans needed someone to blame. 

Go read the stories, it sounds like Bell had a legit excuse and Tomlin was okay with it. It has nothing to do with being unprofessional or undisciplined. He asked for personal time and it was granted. 

Brown and Ben just signed big contracts recently. Do you know if they abused the rule? 

You have been holding the missed walk through against Bell this entire thread and now in this post you act like it is no big deal. 

You are over stating the suspensions. Why? Because the Steelers were in no danger of being on the hook if he did it again. These contracts always have clauses in them for things like this. Plus the decisions he made were years earlier. People grow up and change and if the Steelers were really worried about his character and professionaslism they would never even offered him the 5 year 60 million dollar deal. They see him every day, they knew he wasn't making the same mistakes.

They tried to get out on the cheap and Bell said no, then they tried to franchise and run him into the ground and he held out. The Steelers are the ones that messed this up. You said it yourself in your first paragraph. The Steelers have a lack of discipline that has been growing for years. 
Needed someone to blame? There was plenty to go around after that debacle... didn't need any more, especially when Bell played well.

Discussing this with you isn't going anywhere but in circles. They didn't try to get Bell for cheap, because they really had no intention of signing him long term. The 5 for 60 offer was more like a 2 for 30 offer with the second year a rolling guarantee, not a full guarantee. That's not cheap, it's just not what Bell wanted. There's a reason he's been as good as he's been and virtually no fans of the team want him to be locked up. The Steelers didn't screw anything up - if they wanted him, they'd have signed him a while back like they do with all of the players they have that they want to keep. Bell wasn't one of them, and for good reason. Historically, the Steelers simply don't lose anyone they want to keep.

The Steelers' lack of discipline has nothing to do with Bell's contract situation. But honestly, I don't have the energy or desire to repeat it anymore. Believe whatever you want lol. Bell messed his situation up every step of the way since 2015, and ultimately he just doesn't fit. The Steelers will take whatever pick they get when he leaves and the extra money from this year and it'll roll into next year, and Bell will hope his next contract will make up for the money he left on the table this year and that he can get into a good situation with a team that can fit him under the cap.

Thanks for the back n forth though.

If someone will pay him then it's not more than he's worth......enjoy the wasted year Steelers. 
There's always someone with cap space and money to burn, and that's the team that'll sign Bell. I and damn near every Steelers fan out there are glad it's not the Steelers who'll do it.

With or without Bell, this year was a lost year. Didn't look like it before the season, but the defense is worse than anyone realistically expected it to be and that group isn't a championship unit.  No pass rush and a brutal secondary just can't win in the NFL today with everything favoring quarterbacks and passing games. Sucks, but it happens. We've been pretty spoiled as Steelers fans, so if an occasional year like this comes up, it's OK. You dislike the Steelers and you want sooooo badly to think that Bell screwed the team over... while the offense would be better with him, the difference wouldn't make them a contender. So Bell's absence may have given the Steelers 1 extra loss or something, maybe a slightly better draft position next year, and a few extra million dollars to throw at 2019.  So, it's not ALL bad lol. 

No, they don't.

Thus the negotiating - by definition.  If they both wanted the same thing this doesn't happen in the first place.
That is not correct. They all do want the same thing... they just don't agree on how to get there.

Negotiation means coming to a mutual agreement.

He's going to get close to the same and be a FA going forward.

Users who are viewing this thread