What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (3 Viewers)

Le'Veon is like that rich emo kid from high school. "Oh, woe is me. Everybody hates me. I drown my sorrows in jet skiing and basketball."  Nobody feels sorry for you man, it's fine if you want to stay away, but don't expect fans to love you for it. If you want to be adored by fans, then help their team win, that's typically how it works. I'm not saying that's right, it just is how it is. 

5 days and counting. Please, just let it be over. 

Can anyone think of a worse career move in football? I mean, MAYBE Ricky Williams dropping out to smoke pot, but other than that? 
Todd Haley going to the Browns expecting to be their next HC? He had to put up with Hue bashing him for half a year, and then got fired right as he thought he was getting promoted.

What are people doing with him at this point?  I feel like the outcomes are literally anything.  Could sit out.  Could sign and split carries.  Could sign and they run him into the ground to preserve Conner.  Is it worth moving him for a more sure thing?  Or do you hold out another week since you've already come this far with it.

What are people doing with him at this point?  I feel like the outcomes are literally anything.  Could sit out.  Could sign and split carries.  Could sign and they run him into the ground to preserve Conner.  Is it worth moving him for a more sure thing?  Or do you hold out another week since you've already come this far with it.
I’m holding him. Also holding a sliver of hope that I can use him at some point in the FF Playoffs week’s.

No way Bell comes back this season. Steelers should tag him again and after he signs trade him to someone terrible like the Jets,Bills or the Raiders.

Can anyone think of a worse career move in football? I mean, MAYBE Ricky Williams dropping out to smoke pot, but other than that? 
Ricky was going to get suspended anyway and did not leave $14.5M on the table so no, I can't think of a worse career move in football.

I seriously can’t decide what to do. The Conner owner offered me Mahomes and Chubb for him, Rivers, Rudolph and J Ross. Obviously Ross and Rudolph I don’t care about but I seriously cannot decide if giving him and rivers, since I also have Brady,  up is really worth it. Keep going back and forth, one second I’m going to hit accept then before I do I think how nice it would be to have bell and Gurley going in a couple weeks together. Ughhh!!! 

I seriously can’t decide what to do. The Conner owner offered me Mahomes and Chubb for him, Rivers, Rudolph and J Ross. Obviously Ross and Rudolph I don’t care about but I seriously cannot decide if giving him and rivers, since I also have Brady,  up is really worth it. Keep going back and forth, one second I’m going to hit accept then before I do I think how nice it would be to have bell and Gurley going in a couple weeks together. Ughhh!!! 
Buddy, that fantasy is long gone. Bell has already changed his Twitter handle from Steelers RB to All Pro RB. The writing is on the wall. Trade him to some dumb dumb who is behind in the news. Good luck.

So him and his agent have no clue what the CBA says, the ramifications for retirement or what opportunity cost is, hold on one second:  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
I'll admit I'm guilty of assuming these guys invest in expert representation, especially the stars who can afford it. If a player ignores good advice, that's one thing but in many instances, he may not even be getting it in the first place. One has to wonder if this could have played out much differently with good advice at the outset.

Buddy, that fantasy is long gone. Bell has already changed his Twitter handle from Steelers RB to All Pro RB. The writing is on the wall. Trade him to some dumb dumb who is behind in the news. Good luck.
Good advice plus even if Bell did show there is just no way Conner is getting benched. At best he'd have taken a few weeks to carve out role alongside Conner.  Meaning even if Bell showed up today I think it's debatable if Chubb would out-do him for ROS. This is something we'll never know.

Never seen an athlete shoot himself in the foot like this. Just mind boggling. There were guys in this thread 5-6 weeks ago saying what Bell was doing was smart. Maybe he really will be able to sue the agent and at least get a few bucks.

How are you not instantly accepting this????

Mahomes > Rivers (and Brady)
Chubb > Bell in most scenarios of what Bell does
Rudloph/Ross are irrelevant.

Click accept fast.

Like I said 50 pages ago, see ya next year. Not happy about his potential suitors either. Jets would be best at this point. I was hoping Indy but they may just roll with Mack even though he's always hurt.

How are you not instantly accepting this????

Mahomes > Rivers (and Brady)
Chubb > Bell in most scenarios of what Bell does
Rudloph/Ross are irrelevant.

Click accept fast.
Bell owner here. Hell yeah, click yes. I would in a heartbeat. If the Mahomes owner offered him to me for Bell & Wentz, I would do it.

Bell owner here. Hell yeah, click yes. I would in a heartbeat. If the Mahomes owner offered him to me for Bell & Wentz, I would do it.
I offered Bell to the two best teams in our league on Monday (redraft). One has Conner. I figured he might want Conner insurance or the other might want to block him from getting it. The Conner owner offered Jarvis Landry and revoked it a minute later.

I seem to have missed something. Up until this week everyone thought that if he didn't play he would be franchised at the same value again. Why do people now think that he would be franchised at the next level next year (QB Level)?  I've heard the wording is somewhat ambiguous, why would the NFL give up without a fight?  That just doesn't seem to be there style.

Also, it 100% sounds like Leveon's style to sit out the whole year thinking he'll be in the next level of Franchise Tag, only to realize after the fact that he's at the same level. 

Ian Rapoport doesn't have a very good track record himself. Just saying.

I can see Bell not knowing every provision of the CBA but I doubt his agent doesn't.

On an August 28th radio interview, Bell’s agent stated he hoped the Steelers would tag Bell a third time, as it would be equiavalent to a QB tag/money.

Rapoport’s info is speculative reporting at its finest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was offered Keenan Allen in a 0.5 PPR Dynasty league.  Allen seems like a solid replacement if you're assuming Bell doesn't play.  But then he likely plays next year.  I'd love to hear thoughts from other Bell owners

Other RBs:  Gurley/Collins/Ito Smith

WRs:  Landry/John Brown/Boyd/Calvin Ridley

lol.....fool...tool...idiot....clown....dummy.....all these used to describe a dude who is in the middle of a nice year long vacation hanging out on Florida beaches...boats...yachts...before returning next year to sign a massive multi million dollar contract with pretty much whoever he chooses (there will be plenty)....signing bonuses and guarantees..... 

other people care way more about the 14.5 he left on the table then he does......he don't give a ####.....and I think that makes people mad...he also doesn't give a #### about you calling him names.....newsflash...****he is going to be just fine****....

kinda hope NE signs him....

I seem to have missed something. Up until this week everyone thought that if he didn't play he would be franchised at the same value again. Why do people now think that he would be franchised at the next level next year (QB Level)?  I've heard the wording is somewhat ambiguous, why would the NFL give up without a fight?  That just doesn't seem to be there style.

Also, it 100% sounds like Leveon's style to sit out the whole year thinking he'll be in the next level of Franchise Tag, only to realize after the fact that he's at the same level. 
Not everyone.  In this thread there was someone posting excerpts from the CBA about this.   It's the third tag that matters, not whether he played during the season when he was tagged the second time.   I think it was misreported, but many of us have believed this to be the case all season, and that's why there is no reason for him to report and play for 5 million (or less with the exemption) if he wasn't willing to play for $14.5.   

There is no reason for him to play this year.   

I guess I don't really agree with this.....he is in the middle of a year long Florida vacation of which he will emerge healthy......next year he will sign a massive multi year, multi million dollar contract with a huge signing bonus and tons of guaranteed money.....sounds like a pretty good career to me....

if you are hung up on him passing on 14.5 million dollars this year....that's fine....but let's not act like his career is over.....one (Earl Thomas comes to mind) could argue it was a great career move....

The headline report is misleading and flat out wrong. 

People have been saying for weeks that Bell doesn't need to play at all this year because if he's franchised for a 3rd time it will be QB money. 

Bell and his agent actually have stuck to their (Bell's) plan all along. Sit out the year, pass on 14.5 million, and become a free agent HEALTHY for a larger guaranteed deal. 

The CBA is pretty clear to me. LeVeon can not play at all and be in a good position.

If any Franchise Player does not play in the NFL in a League Year, his Prior Team shall have the right to designate such player as a Franchise Player or a Transition Player the following League Year...If such a player is redesignated as a Franchise Player for the League Year following the League Year in which he does not play, the player may be designated only under Section 2(a)(i) above...If such a player is designated as a Franchise Player for a third time, the terms of Section 2(b) above shall apply.

Next year would be a third time being designated as the Franchise Player.  The designation would carry a one-year contract equal to the top 5 QB salaries. Yes, QB salaries. The franchise tag would not make sense.

Regarding the Transition tag, as it has been mentioned, he would be free to sign a contract with another team. Although Pittsburgh would have right of refusal, they would receive no compensation. That seems pointless.

It has felt like an echo chamber in here.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/771559-how-is-the-lbelljconner-situation-going-to-play-out/?do=findComment&comment=21442393

5/ Bell won't show up this year. The Steelers won't assign the franchise tag for a third straight year on him because they don't want to pay him like a top 5 QB. They might put the transition tag on him, but that only means they could match whatever enormous contract he gets next year. He will also be fresh after a year off recovering from a heavy 2017 workload instead of being beaten into the ground with another 400+ touch season. If the healthy year off prolongs his career, he would make more overall money for his career despite the lack of salary this season (effectively replacing this year's missed $14M with an additional year at the end). But what do I know? I only read the CBA.

This sounds ridiculous:

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet

FollowFollow @RapSheet

More

#Steelers RB Le’Veon Bell is in town. And the team wants him back very badly. We’ll know Tuesday if he’s showing up.

I guess I don't really agree with this.....he is in the middle of a year long Florida vacation of which he will emerge healthy......next year he will sign a massive multi year, multi million dollar contract with a huge signing bonus and tons of guaranteed money.....sounds like a pretty good career to me....

if you are hung up on him passing on 14.5 million dollars this year....that's fine....but let's not act like his career is over.....one (Earl Thomas comes to mind) could argue it was a great career move....
His career certainly isn't over, but seems like prior to all this he was happy in Pittsburg. He was beloved by his team mates. I'd say all of that is over now. He really pissed off a lot of his team mates, the fans, just doesn't seem like this was handled well at all. 

Why Come Back If True?

“My understanding is the NFL management council and the NFL Players' Association, the parties that negotiated the collective bargaining agreement, are on the same page that if Bell were tagged a third time, whether he shows up this season, whether he sits out the entire year, that tag would be at the higher quarterback number, not the lower number similar to what he would be due under the franchise tag this year," Pelissero said on NFL Up To the Minute on Tuesday. "It would be extremely unlikely for the Steelers to put that higher third franchise tag on Le'Veon Bell. That would set up a scenario where they'd tag him a third time, the number is upwards of $25 million and Bell, if he wanted to, could walk in the day he's tagged, sign it and be owed $25 million for one season."

In addition, the Steelers and the NFL don't plan to argue that his 2018 tag should carry over next year.

"I've been told by both league and team sources that neither the NFL nor the Steelers have any plan to argue that the second tag should carry over, should Le'Veon Bell not play this year," NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala reported. "They are all in agreement that any potential tag would be the third (or the transition)."

? what a new and interesting development.

@apalmer

Thank you.  Maybe Hank will finally get it.
I think I get it now.

Nope

As far as "giving up without a fight" it's likely that was the original intent of the authors, so rather than pick a fight they don't really care about winning anyway they are just agreeing that's how it will work.

His career certainly isn't over, but seems like prior to all this he was happy in Pittsburg. He was beloved by his team mates. I'd say all of that is over now. He really pissed off a lot of his team mates, the fans, just doesn't seem like this was handled well at all. 
That’s on his teammates & the fans.  

The unwritten rule in pro sports is the players realize it’s a business, & you support each other when it comes to the business side.  The other Steelers made assumptions about what Bells plans were, ran their mouths, then looked stupid when the things they said would happen, didn’t happen.  (Pouncey is the prime example of this; he guaranteed Bell’d report, later said he hadn’t heard that from Bell, but stood by the guarantee, then looked like a moron when he didn’t report).  Then some Steelers talked trash about him; ######## move.

The fact that it turns out Bell made the smart decision just underscores that fact.  Bell has weakened some of the power of the NFL teams, with regards to the use of the franchise tag.  If the precedent is established that a player tagged twice can sit out the 2nd franchise tag year & mandate the QB tag rate in the event of a 3rd tag, NFL teams will be less likely to tag players multiple teams, which means they’ll be more likely to work out long term deals (giving players the security if ACTUAL guaranteed money) OR making it easier for players to reach FA.  Bells actions, which the Steelers players #### on, stands to benefit all NFL players in general, and possibly some of those poor teammates, specifically.

My question would be "didn't they use the tag on him twice?"  Next year would make 3.  Not sure he has to sign anything for it to count.  The TEAM used it.  

Joe Buck & Troy Aikman have commented more than once during tonight’s game that Steelers ownership expects Bell to report...

Users who are viewing this thread