What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (1 Viewer)

And yet neither Martin or TRich had as good a rookie season as Alfred Morris.

My point about Montana is that he wasn't drafted in the first but had a fantastic career. I suppose someone in this class could do that, but I'm not seeing it. I'm saying the QB's in this class are bad to me, but guys have come from nowhere before. I don't see anyone matching Luck or RGIII in this class, but look at what Russel Wilson did last year out of the 3rd round.

I expect a couple running backs from this class to have very good rookie seasons. Maybe it's Stacy in St. Louis? Maybe the non Combine invitee out in Oakland? Or maybe Lacy comes in 100% and is pissed about being selected third and tears it up. Bell is in a fantastic situation. That guy getting 1200 yards rushing and 200 receiving seems like a no brainer to me right now.

You got the luxury of seeing those players play in the NFL. I have the luxury of taking the entire draft class and saying that someone in the class will do really well. Almost every year, two rookie RB's crack the top 10 in FFB scoring. If I had to choose, I would probably go with Bell as one of them, but no idea on the other. I think Gio is a 3rd down back. I think Moreno will start in Denver. I think Franklin could win the job in Green Bay and if he does is probably the other rookie in the top 10. But that's a lot of ifs so I'm not committing to that at all.
Huh? Martin had a better season than Morris, not that it's relevant. Still not sure what Montana has to do with it, we're talking about rookie seasons.

In any event, I think it's strange to say almost every year 2 rookie RBs finish in the top 10, considering prior to this year, none had done so over the past 3 (I don't think any finished in the top 20 over the past 3 years).

This was the first time in 50 years no RBs were drafted in the 1st round. I think it's highly unlikely that any of these guys are on par with Richardson or Martin for fantasy purposes (top 5 RBs, maybe higher) after their rookie season. It's pretty rare, even more so for non 1st round picks.

My point about Montana is that he wasn't drafted in the first but had a fantastic career. I suppose someone in this class could do that, but I'm not seeing it. I'm saying the QB's in this class are bad to me, but guys have come from nowhere before. I don't see anyone matching Luck or RGIII in this class, but look at what Russel Wilson did last year out of the 3rd round.

I expect a couple running backs from this class to have very good rookie seasons. Maybe it's Stacy in St. Louis? Maybe the non Combine invitee out in Oakland? Or maybe Lacy comes in 100% and is pissed about being selected third and tears it up. Bell is in a fantastic situation. That guy getting 1200 yards rushing and 200 receiving seems like a no brainer to me right now.

You got the luxury of seeing those players play in the NFL. I have the luxury of taking the entire draft class and saying that someone in the class will do really well. Almost every year, two rookie RB's crack the top 10 in FFB scoring. If I had to choose, I would probably go with Bell as one of them, but no idea on the other. I think Gio is a 3rd down back. I think Moreno will start in Denver. I think Franklin could win the job in Green Bay and if he does is probably the other rookie in the top 10. But that's a lot of ifs so I'm not committing to that at all.
Huh? Martin had a better season than Morris, not that it's relevant. Still not sure what Montana has to do with it, we're talking about rookie seasons.

In any event, I think it's strange to say almost every year 2 rookie RBs finish in the top 10, considering prior to this year, none had done so over the past 3 (I don't think any finished in the top 20 over the past 3 years).

This was the first time in 50 years no RBs were drafted in the 1st round. I think it's highly unlikely that any of these guys are on par with Richardson or Martin for fantasy purposes (top 5 RBs, maybe higher) after their rookie season. It's pretty rare, even more so for non 1st round picks.
So no two rookie RB's have finished in the top 10 the last three years and no RB was taken in the first round for the first time in 50 years.

Hmmmmm

So over the last three years, RB's were taken in the first round, but none finished in the top 10. So since none were taken in the first round, you expect none to finish in the top 10? Plenty of first rounders haven't cracked the top 10 as rookies. Those two things don't correlate.

And Martin had great year catching the ball out of the backfield, but Morris had more yards, more TD's and a higher YPC on the ground. He also had a lot more first downs. In fantasy Martin had a better year, but Morris was the better runner of the two while Martin is the more well rounded back.

Fanatic - My point is that if I had 3 rookies picks to use and a choice between this years draft and another draft, I'd take the draft where NFL GMs were selecting players in the first round. Last year at RB the consensus was TRich, Martin, and Wilson based on the first round selections teams used on them. There may be a guy or two this year that end up comparable ala Morris from last year, but you're going to have to figure out which one. Last year they gave you the exam answers during the draft.

Fanatic - My point is that if I had 3 rookies picks to use and a choice between this years draft and another draft, I'd take the draft where NFL GMs were selecting players in the first round. Last year at RB the consensus was TRich, Martin, and Wilson based on the first round selections teams used on them. There may be a guy or two this year that end up comparable ala Morris from last year, but you're going to have to figure out which one. Last year they gave you the exam answers during the draft.
So far...that looks like that worked last year but how often is that the case? There are lots of year when the 1st rounders don't pan out (Ingram, wells,Moreno) and there are lists of years when those lower selections shine (gore, Bradshaw), etc). Just because you have to look for the answers instead of accepting them in spoon feed fashion doesn't mean you can't be right. Or all we know the best of this draft might be Zach Stacy, duke Ellington and Christine Michael. For every adp there is mjd

So far...that looks like that worked last year but how often is that the case? There are lots of year when the 1st rounders don't pan out (Ingram, wells,Moreno) and there are lists of years when those lower selections shine (gore, Bradshaw), etc). Just because you have to look for the answers instead of accepting them in spoon feed fashion doesn't mean you can't be right. Or all we know the best of this draft might be Zach Stacy, duke Ellington and Christine Michael. For every adp there is mjd
I think you're cherry picking. For every Morris there's a dozen Cedric Peermans.

So no two rookie RB's have finished in the top 10 the last three years and no RB was taken in the first round for the first time in 50 years.

Hmmmmm

So over the last three years, RB's were taken in the first round, but none finished in the top 10. So since none were taken in the first round, you expect none to finish in the top 10? Plenty of first rounders haven't cracked the top 10 as rookies. Those two things don't correlate.

And Martin had great year catching the ball out of the backfield, but Morris had more yards, more TD's and a higher YPC on the ground. He also had a lot more first downs. In fantasy Martin had a better year, but Morris was the better runner of the two while Martin is the more well rounded back.
Sorry, but you don't make any sense.

I said prior to this year, because last year rookie RBs did crack the top 10. You're the one who said almost every year 2 of them do, which I assume you just made up because it's completely false.

If first round rookie RBs have a difficult time cracking the top 10, then those drafted later would have an even more difficult time- there absolutely is a correlation between draft round and success. Of course it doesn't mean a 1st rounder is going to be top 10 and a late rounder isn't, but there is a correlation.

Finally, we're talking about fantasy football here- Martin had a better fantasy season than Morris, and is the higher rated player. Again, fact.

These are all fairly irrelevant points, but I have no idea why you insist on arguing things that are just plain incorrect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me try this again...

Fact - The higher the player is drafted, the more likely they are to be successful in the NFL.

Fact - NFL GMs and scouting departments (while not perfect) are much better at identifying talent than 99% of us.

Let's look at two hypothetical years.

Year 1 - 4 RBs drafted in the first round, 18 total RBs drafted, average draft position of these 18 RBs is rd 4.4

Year 2 - 0 RBs drafted in the first round, 14 total RBs drafted, average draft position of these 14 RBs is rd 5.10

I'm very confident that I want my 3 rd 1 dynasty picks in year 1 and not year 2.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/4/26/4272442/steelers-leveon-bell-second-round-pick-stats-breakdown

Struggling to come up with support for the Steelers second round pickThere's durability. Steelers second round pick, Le'Veon Bell, hauled the rock more than any other player in college football last year.

That's his most eye-popping stat, and it's a double-edged sword, at best. He carried the ball 382 times last year.

Three hundred and eighty two times. That's a lot of carries.

I can't decide whether it's humor or irony that the Steelers would select the fourth best running back on the board at least one round too early, addressing a position that doesn't have the same level of urgency as others, who seems eerily similar to former first round pick Beanie Wells.

And the Steelers visited with Wells this offseason, not offering him a contract, just letting the 27-year-old hobble away on elderly knees. We now know why; they can draft his clone in the second round.

They were the same size in college. Wells had one more year of productivity.

They both carried the ball so much in college, and the elder of the two was beaten to tar by the time he was 24, he was injured all the time and his old team didn't want him any more.

No team seems to want him.

We measure Bell's production as if it should be impressive. Should we not look at the carries he's already logged, and the general lack of plays he made? His "big" junior year, he needed no less than 29 carries to top 100 yards.

Twenty nine.

Sure, he shredded Minnesota for 266 yards on 35 carries, and a nearly duplicate performance against something called Eastern Michigan. He had 45 yards on 17 carries against Ohio State. He had 68 yards on 26 carries against Michigan. The 77 yards on 21 carries he had against Wisconsin is equally impressive.

This is a second round pick?

Montee Ball was more productive. Christine Michael is clearly more talented than Ball and Bell, maybe combined. Didn't want either of them. Didn't need 'em.

The Steelers have an entire running back stable of Le'Veon Bells. It really doesn't make sense why a grinding, high mileage back makes sense in the second round, but a team with a sterling track record of second round picks shouldn't be questioned.
Just saw that Dwyer was running with the first team so I've been looking around about the situation. I know most people in this thread drafted Bell so they're super pumped about him, but does anyone else think he might just be a decent role player like so many other 2nd round running backs? Dwyer and Redman are both reportedly in (relatively) really good shape. Motivated veterans vs. a rookie that is good at everything but great at nothing... Should make for an interesting preseason.

It will be an interesting preseaon to say the least. Those with rookie drafts right before the season will have a much clearer picture of the landscape. Those in need of a RB will be able to sort these guys out. Ball, Bernard, Bell, Lacy, etc. etc.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/4/26/4272442/steelers-leveon-bell-second-round-pick-stats-breakdown

Struggling to come up with support for the Steelers second round pickThere's durability. Steelers second round pick, Le'Veon Bell, hauled the rock more than any other player in college football last year.

That's his most eye-popping stat, and it's a double-edged sword, at best. He carried the ball 382 times last year.

I can't decide whether it's humor or irony that the Steelers would select the fourth best running back on the board at least one round too early, addressing a position that doesn't have the same level of urgency as others, who seems eerily similar to former first round pick Beanie Wells.

And the Steelers visited with Wells this offseason, not offering him a contract, just letting the 27-year-old hobble away on elderly knees. We now know why; they can draft his clone in the second round.

They both carried the ball so much in college, and the elder of the two was beaten to tar by the time he was 24, he was injured all the time and his old team didn't want him any more.

We measure Bell's production as if it should be impressive. Should we not look at the carries he's already logged, and the general lack of plays he made? His "big" junior year, he needed no less than 29 carries to top 100 yards.

Twenty nine.

Sure, he shredded Minnesota for 266 yards on 35 carries, and a nearly duplicate performance against something called Eastern Michigan. He had 45 yards on 17 carries against Ohio State. He had 68 yards on 26 carries against Michigan. The 77 yards on 21 carries he had against Wisconsin is equally impressive.

Montee Ball was more productive. Christine Michael is clearly more talented than Ball and Bell, maybe combined. Didn't want either of them. Didn't need 'em.

The Steelers have an entire running back stable of Le'Veon Bells. It really doesn't make sense why a grinding, high mileage back makes sense in the second round, but a team with a sterling track record of second round picks shouldn't be questioned.
Just saw that Dwyer was running with the first team so I've been looking around about the situation. I know most people in this thread drafted Bell so they're super pumped about him, but does anyone else think he might just be a decent role player like so many other 2nd round running backs? Dwyer and Redman are both reportedly in (relatively) really good shape. Motivated veterans vs. a rookie that is good at everything but great at nothing... Should make for an interesting preseason.
I think the best that Dwyer owners can hope for is a relatively even split RBBC with Dwyer sharing carries with Redman and Bell.

Bell is the only RB that has a good chance at being the bell cow back IMO.

This is nothing new in Pittsburgh, veterans always run with the #1's, rookies have to beat them to take their spot. If Bell is who the Steelers think he is then he will win the spot. If he's more like I think he is then it will be a mess like last year.

Grabbed him at 2. I believe he's Eddie George with hands
If he's Eddie George, he will be better than Eddie George because he won't have McNair stealing 20+ TD's from him near the GL during his career.

- former Eddie George owner.

I guess saying it is a "weak" draft is in the eye of the beholder. I am really happy with the leagues I have multiple high picks in right now and kinda bummed in the ones where i have nothing. I am going to guess that my sentiment is probably shared because I know I have A LOT of people emailing me asking about picks in the leagues I have the multiples.
I feel the same way. I had four picks in the first 14. There was a TON of value there. In the last couple rounds ther pickens were beyond slim, but there was a ton of value earily...
Compared to Richardson, Martin, RG3, Luck???
We've gotten to see those guys for a year. Guys will emerge from this draft who be on par with those guys (well, maybe not at QB). I think Bell and one of the GB RB's will have solid rookie seasons. I also think there are going to be multiple stud WR's from this draft...
Not taking a shot at you here, but I'm going to roll with the collective opinion of the NFL GMs that this is a weak class. The only reason some of these guys are moving up is opportunity. That might work well for a season but generally these lesser talents do have a ceiling.
31 GM's passed on Tom Brady an average of 6 times. The team that selected him, passed many times. Players will emerge from this draft just like they do from every draft. The difference might be, instead of an Alfred Morris going in the 6th, he might go in the 4th in this draft. Sure it's a weak draft, but to argue that there are no good players doesn't make sense based on the fact that GM's say the class is weak. Draftnics say it was a weak draft, but they had the only 1st round RB as Lacy, had Keenan Allen in the first and Robert Woods in the 4th. To compare the draft to the guys last year doesn't work either as we've gotten to see those guys play an entire season. Talk to me a year from now when we can say players X, Y and Z compare to Martin, TRich and David Wilson...
You really think there will be guys from this draft who will be on par with Richardson, Martin, Luck and RGIII a year from now?
I said not so much on the QB's. Who knows, though. Joe Montana wasn't a first rounder, but I don't like any of the QB's this year. actually, I like Barkley the best only because he seems pretty pissed about going so low. Do I see a RB or two having years on par with Doug Martin or Richardson's rookie years? Absolutely.
I'm not really following you- Montana wasn't a 1st round pick, but he hardly played his rookie season. You expect one or two rookie RBs to have as good a season as those two this year, or at some point in their careers? Those 4 are all top 5 at their position in dynasty right now, after their rookie seasons. You'd get very good odds if you think one of those RBs will be considered top 5 after this season (Richardson and Martin are top 2 on this site).
And yet neither Martin or TRich had as good a rookie season as Alfred Morris. My point about Montana is that he wasn't drafted in the first but had a fantastic career. I suppose someone in this class could do that, but I'm not seeing it. I'm saying the QB's in this class are bad to me, but guys have come from nowhere before. I don't see anyone matching Luck or RGIII in this class, but look at what Russel Wilson did last year out of the 3rd round. I expect a couple running backs from this class to have very good rookie seasons. Maybe it's Stacy in St. Louis? Maybe the non Combine invitee out in Oakland? Or maybe Lacy comes in 100% and is pissed about being selected third and tears it up. Bell is in a fantastic situation. That guy getting 1200 yards rushing and 200 receiving seems like a no brainer to me right now. You got the luxury of seeing those players play in the NFL. I have the luxury of taking the entire draft class and saying that someone in the class will do really well. Almost every year, two rookie RB's crack the top 10 in FFB scoring. If I had to choose, I would probably go with Bell as one of them, but no idea on the other. I think Gio is a 3rd down back. I think Moreno will start in Denver. I think Franklin could win the job in Green Bay and if he does is probably the other rookie in the top 10. But that's a lot of ifs so I'm not committing to that at all.
So you have no idea who will be this mystery rookie but are sure he is there somewhere? That is not very useful really even if it is true. What is somebody supposed to somehow draft every single rookie rb and see how it shakes out?

Rotoworld:

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that rookie RB Le'Veon Bell's playing time will be determined by how quickly he picks up pass protection.
The Steelers are counting on Bell to start as a rookie, but he remains unproven as a blocker and could be replaced by Issac Redman or Jonathan Dwyer on third downs. Dwyer led all running backs in pass blocking efficiency last season. Redman is considered a "lock" for the 53-man roster.

Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

If he's Eddie George, he will be better than Eddie George because he won't have McNair stealing 20+ TD's from him near the GL during his career. - former Eddie George owner.
and fantasy-wise George was still a beast
Am I the only one that sees Bell being another version of Forte, maybe even slightly less productive?
Since Forte seems to be going in the 2nd/3rd rd of start-ups at his advanced age, a slightly less productive version of him that is 21 should be worth at least a 2nd round start-up pick.

I joke only to point out that his current ADP prices in a lot of downside. If you could lock in Forte's career from him at his current ADP - i don't think many people would complain.

ETA: Understand the original context was rookie draft, but this draft is just so weak that 1.01 is worth a 4th or 5th round start-up pick,

If he's Eddie George, he will be better than Eddie George because he won't have McNair stealing 20+ TD's from him near the GL during his career. - former Eddie George owner.
Am I the only one that sees Bell being another version of Forte, maybe even slightly less productive?
Forte is faster and smaller, and his collegiate results were better as a receiver too.

I'd still bet against Bell as a long-term asset and I'd much rather trade a 2013 first rounder for a future 1st than use it on him, but I'm not nearly as confident as I was earlier in the thread.

Forte is faster and smaller, and his collegiate results were better as a receiver too.

I'd still bet against Bell as a long-term asset and I'd much rather trade a 2013 first rounder for a future 1st than use it on him, but I'm not nearly as confident as I was earlier in the thread.
I understand this but that is why I am saying a slightly less productive version of him. His role for the Steelers looks to be the same as it is for Forte. He probably gets less yards and catches but more touchdowns.

Twenty nine.

Terrible piece of writing and not just the opinions. Facts as well considering Wells has not even turned 25 yet.

Struggling to come up with support for the Steelers second round pick

There's durability. Steelers second round pick, Le'Veon Bell, hauled the rock more than any other player in college football last year.

Twenty nine.

Terrible piece of writing and not just the opinions. Facts as well considering Wells has not even turned 25 yet.
I agree with you this is terrible writing and an even worse comparison. Wells was always banged up in college. Bell never had a problem with health. The thing that made Bell special was the complete lack of talent around him on the offensive side of the ball his last season. The way running backs have been devalued in the last few years I believe Wells would have been a second round or later pick as well.

Rotoworld today:

Steelers second-round RB Le'Veon Bell led the nation with 921 yards after contact last season.
Montee Ball was second (887 yards), Arizona's Ka'Deem Carey was third and Johnathan Franklin was fourth. Bell runs a little upright at 6'1/230 and was often criticized for failing to finish runs, but he is surprisingly elusive for a big back. He is also underrated as a receiver and has a very clear path to playing time. All media outlets covering the Steelers fully expect Bell to start in Week 1.

Source: ESPN.com

And yet neither Martin or TRich had as good a rookie season as Alfred Morris. My point about Montana is that he wasn't drafted in the first but had a fantastic career. I suppose someone in this class could do that, but I'm not seeing it. I'm saying the QB's in this class are bad to me, but guys have come from nowhere before. I don't see anyone matching Luck or RGIII in this class, but look at what Russel Wilson did last year out of the 3rd round. I expect a couple running backs from this class to have very good rookie seasons. Maybe it's Stacy in St. Louis? Maybe the non Combine invitee out in Oakland? Or maybe Lacy comes in 100% and is pissed about being selected third and tears it up. Bell is in a fantastic situation. That guy getting 1200 yards rushing and 200 receiving seems like a no brainer to me right now. You got the luxury of seeing those players play in the NFL. I have the luxury of taking the entire draft class and saying that someone in the class will do really well. Almost every year, two rookie RB's crack the top 10 in FFB scoring. If I had to choose, I would probably go with Bell as one of them, but no idea on the other. I think Gio is a 3rd down back. I think Moreno will start in Denver. I think Franklin could win the job in Green Bay and if he does is probably the other rookie in the top 10. But that's a lot of ifs so I'm not committing to that at all.
So you have no idea who will be this mystery rookie but are sure he is there somewhere? That is not very useful really even if it is true. What is somebody supposed to somehow draft every single rookie rb and see how it shakes out?
Who said anything about drafting every RB? It's Fantasy Football. Most leagues are won on the WW.

And I didn't say it was useful. All I'm saying is that this draft will yield some very productive players. Who they are is for fortune tellers and Mel Kyper's to figure out. I like some guys. I don't like others. Some guys think there is nobody worth a darn in this draft because of all the nay sayers and doom and gloom. Just because no RB was taken in the 1st doesn't mean a RB can storm onto the scene.

Who said anything about drafting every RB? It's Fantasy Football. Most leagues are won on the WW.

And I didn't say it was useful. All I'm saying is that this draft will yield some very productive players. Who they are is for fortune tellers and Mel Kyper's to figure out. I like some guys. I don't like others. Some guys think there is nobody worth a darn in this draft because of all the nay sayers and doom and gloom. Just because no RB was taken in the 1st doesn't mean a RB can storm onto the scene.
I agree somebody will rise up from this class. I think 81 fantasy position players were picked. I think the odds of at least one of them hitting is pretty good. I'm not saying it can't or won't happen, just that this wasn't a great class. The NFL is nearly impossible to predict and yet here we sit. I know enough to know that it's a lot of luck. I generally take the approach of throwing a lot of #### at the wall and seeing if anything sticks. But I prefer high quality ####. This class was just regular or subpar ####. I punted mostly in this draft and traded out of the high picks in both my drafts. I was able to pick up a slew of 2014 picks to go along with Eifert, Michael, and Lattimore. If one of those guys hits I'll be surprised and happy. But I'm not banking on it. I'm actually betting the Don't Come here in some ways and letting my league mates try to sort this one out.

Sabertooth said:
TheFanatic said:

I agree somebody will rise up from this class. I think 81 fantasy position players were picked. I think the odds of at least one of them hitting is pretty good. I'm not saying it can't or won't happen, just that this wasn't a great class. The NFL is nearly impossible to predict and yet here we sit. I know enough to know that it's a lot of luck. I generally take the approach of throwing a lot of #### at the wall and seeing if anything sticks. But I prefer high quality ####. This class was just regular or subpar ####. I punted mostly in this draft and traded out of the high picks in both my drafts. I was able to pick up a slew of 2014 picks to go along with Eifert, Michael, and Lattimore. If one of those guys hits I'll be surprised and happy. But I'm not banking on it. I'm actually betting the Don't Come here in some ways and letting my league mates try to sort this one out.
Big fan of Eifert. Grabbed him too.

I am surprised that I seem to be in the minority on Bell. I see a big back that has good vision, patience and is very sudden for his size when he makes his cut. I think he is clearly the top rookie RB this year and expect solid RB2 numbers at a minimum. You can nitpick some flaws in his game but he is more talented than most seem to be giving his credit for and is in a very good situation. Draft him as your RB2 in redraft with confidence and take him first off the board in dynasty.

Rotoworld today:

Steelers second-round RB Le'Veon Bell led the nation with 921 yards after contact last season.
Montee Ball was second (887 yards), Arizona's Ka'Deem Carey was third and Johnathan Franklin was fourth. Bell runs a little upright at 6'1/230 and was often criticized for failing to finish runs, but he is surprisingly elusive for a big back. He is also underrated as a receiver and has a very clear path to playing time. All media outlets covering the Steelers fully expect Bell to start in Week 1.

This has more to do with Bell's workload than his elusiveness. He led the nation in carries (382) and touches (414); Ball's YAC is actually better than his on a per-carry (or per-touch) basis.

Greg Peshek used STATS ICE data to calculate yards after contact per run for 11 RBs; Bell ranked 7th:

3.19 Giovani Bernard

2.88 Eddie Lacy

2.71 Johnathan Franklin

2.60 Joseph Randle

2.59 Andre Ellington

2.49 Montee Ball

2.41 Le'Veon Bell

2.18 Stepfan Taylor

1.95 Marcus Lattimore

1.76 Mike Gillislee

1.76 Christine Michael

Rotoworld today:

This has more to do with Bell's workload than his elusiveness. He led the nation in carries (382) and touches (414); Ball's YAC is actually better than his on a per-carry (or per-touch) basis.

Greg Peshek used STATS ICE data to calculate yards after contact per run for 11 RBs; Bell ranked 7th:

3.19 Giovani Bernard

2.88 Eddie Lacy

2.71 Johnathan Franklin

2.60 Joseph Randle

2.59 Andre Ellington

2.49 Montee Ball

2.41 Le'Veon Bell

2.18 Stepfan Taylor

1.95 Marcus Lattimore

1.76 Mike Gillislee

1.76 Christine Michael
Quantity is sometimes better than the per-carry basis. I would say it is remarkable he could tote the rock 382 times (plus 30 catches) and still be effective at the end of the season. His YPC the last four games were 5.2, 4.2,7.6(!), 4.5. Durability is a big thing for RBs ... I can imagine some coaches would put more emphasis on a slightly less talented back that is rarely hurt than a top talent that gets nicked up all the time.

I would rather have a workhorse back who can maintain touching the ball 300+ times with a 2.4 yards after contact than a guy who gets hurt and/or has to committee and only gets 200 touches with 3.0 yards after contact. Maybe I'm in the minority there, though.

Sabertooth said:
TheFanatic said:

Big fan of Eifert. Grabbed him too.
He was sitting there in the third round. I traded up to get him. I tried to trade up 3 different times before getting him. No dice, then I gave up a 2014 2nd to move up from the 3.08 slot to the 3.05 slot for Eifert. Seemed a steep price to pay but I got my guy.

This year I generally just looked at NFL draft slot for my guys in two leagues. I game away with Geno, Lattimore, Keenan Allen, Michael, and Eifert in one league. And in another I got Tyler Wilson, Josh Boyce, Chris Harper, and Nick Foles (who was inexplicably cut earlier and I think I was the only guy sober enough to remember that.)

But i have 4 first round picks in 2014 in one league and 3 in the other. I punted this year and was still able to get some solid prospects. That's kind of my point, even at the top of this draft it was only "solid" prospect. Not great prospects. I don't think many would be surprise if Eiftert has a better VBD value than Bell throughout his career. Nor do I think Hopkins has a huge advantage over Allen or Wheaton or even Kelce. This was a good year to slide back and take what fell.

Rotoworld today:

3.19 Giovani Bernard

2.88 Eddie Lacy

2.71 Johnathan Franklin

2.60 Joseph Randle

2.59 Andre Ellington

2.49 Montee Ball

2.41 Le'Veon Bell

2.18 Stepfan Taylor

1.95 Marcus Lattimore

1.76 Mike Gillislee

1.76 Christine Michael
Quantity is sometimes better than the per-carry basis. I would say it is remarkable he could tote the rock 382 times (plus 30 catches) and still be effective at the end of the season. His YPC the last four games were 5.2, 4.2,7.6(!), 4.5. Durability is a big thing for RBs ... I can imagine some coaches would put more emphasis on a slightly less talented back that is rarely hurt than a top talent that gets nicked up all the time.

I would rather have a workhorse back who can maintain touching the ball 300+ times with a 2.4 yards after contact than a guy who gets hurt and/or has to committee and only gets 200 touches with 3.0 yards after contact. Maybe I'm in the minority there, though.
Durability is something hard to quantify. That is an area that Ball should be considered pretty highly given his workload and lack of injury. Although there are things I do not like about Ball, durability and vision are important qualities for all RB to have and Ball does have those traits.

I have Gio and Bell as pretty much 1a and 1b. Right now I think Bell has better opportunity than Bernard and because of that will likely have the numbers in 2013 but long term Bernard may be the better RB. I consider them both very close and one of them will be the top rookie RB for 2013. In redraft Bell has a more clear path to starting than Bernard.

Lacy with his injury is a guy you will need to produce right away, as his career may be shortened by it at some point by the injury, Franklin is a legit threat to his playing time and may be a better rounded player except as a pass blocker where I think Lacy is pretty far ahead of Franklin.

Nice info ZWK. Interesting that Randle is so high in this category.

Rotoworld:

The Steelers expect second-round RB Le'Veon Bell to be capable of playing on third downs right away.
Two reasons the Steelers were so high on Bell were his ability to pass protect and catch the ball out of the backfield at 6'1/230. When Steelers camp opens on Friday, he'll be trying to prove that those skills he showed at Michigan State translate to the NFL. The Steelers want Bell to run away with the every-down job, leaving Isaac Redman as a backup and putting Jonathan Dwyer's roster spot in jeopardy. It would be a surprise if he doesn't do just that.

Related: Jonathan Dwyer, Isaac Redman

Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Twenty nine.

Maybe but the Steelers smell like an old fashioned team to me. They are not just going to let him run with the first team automatically. What is more telling is the fact that they DRAFTED Bell, with a second round pick (second is now the new first for rbs?).

Of all the rookie rbs I like Bell's situation the most.

Lacey in GB is *interesting*.

thought i read somewhere that bell's three cone time was one of ten best in past decade, or something like that... when i went looking for confirmation, the second hit was below great write up by waldman... he points out that he had the same time as jahvid best!! compared to smurf best, bell is kodiak bear-like... kind of amazing that his feet and quicks could put him anywhere remotely near best's time... yet he equalled it... imo, that bodes well... matt gives some other reasons that are suggestive, too... well worth checking out, i always learn something new reading his work...

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2013/04/22/boiler-room-michigan-state-rb-leveon-bell/

its pretty simple in pittsburgh. just monitor how he plays in the preseason and listen to what tomlin says about him. If he plays well and tomlin speaks well he should be the bell cow that we were hearing he got drafted to be. if not, rbbc. tomlin is usually honest to a fault

having watched Bell in all of his game at Michigan State, I think Pitt was just about the best fit for him. He is not going to run in any from 30 yards or more, hell he got caught from behind more times I can remeber, even when the DB's were 10 yards behind him. But he was great at the goaline and a tough runner.

having watched Bell in all of his game at Michigan State, I think Pitt was just about the best fit for him. He is not going to run in any from 30 yards or more, hell he got caught from behind more times I can remeber, even when the DB's were 10 yards behind him. But he was great at the goaline and a tough runner.
It is a long shot but I think his ceiling is Edge James, I think his floor is a poor man's Forte but better around the goal line 1200 total yards, 6 to 8 total touchdowns. Assuming he wins the starting job.

My biggest issue with taking Bell is his ceiling. Does anyone see him as a RB1 long term?
I'm hoping he has a good season so that I can flip him after the season is over. I don't see him as a long term answer (even though I want him to be so badly, I'm a Steeler fan) Although he could surprise and stick around for 6+ years. He's willing to work with a good head on his shoulders I think he will do alright.

I'm not very impressed with Bell on tape. He just looks... slow.

When comparing him with Eddie Lacy on the field, Lacy looks like C.J. Spiller by comparison. I do realize that Lacy's offensive line was far better, but even taking that into consideration, Bell just doesn't look that special. But he's in a pretty good situation as the apparent #1 RB in PIT so he has that going for him.

Just my $.02.

Bell's running style reminds me of a young Larry Johnson.

msudaisy26 said:
swirvenirvin said:
It is a long shot but I think his ceiling is Edge James, I think his floor is a poor man's Forte but better around the goal line 1200 total yards, 6 to 8 total touchdowns. Assuming he wins the starting job.
His floor is 1200 total yards? wow

Bell could be a total flop, average 3.6 YPC, making the position a RBBC. That's his floor.

Everyone should be honest about Bell. I liked Bell, but had him rated as my 12th rookie going into the draft. Nobody else was super high on the kid. Now he lands with Pittsburgh in the 2nd round and he's a Edgerrin James/Matt Forte.

On tape, Bell is mostly a plodder. Sometimes he flashes being athletic, but he's not very fast and he's not entering a great situation.

• Smile
Reactions: Zab
msudaisy26 said:
swirvenirvin said:

Bell could be a total flop, average 3.6 YPC, making the position a RBBC. That's his floor.

Everyone should be honest about Bell. I liked Bell, but had him rated as my 12th rookie going into the draft. Nobody else was super high on the kid. Now he lands with Pittsburgh in the 2nd round and he's a Edgerrin James/Matt Forte.

On tape, Bell is mostly a plodder. Sometimes he flashes being athletic, but he's not very fast and he's not entering a great situation.
So you put yourself above NFL teams as a telent evaluator? Do you also have Da'Rick over Robert Woods?

msudaisy26 said:
swirvenirvin said:

So you put yourself above NFL teams as a telent evaluator? Do you also have Da'Rick over Robert Woods?
NFL teams don't play FF football, so it's apples to oranges. If you think Bell was being valued the same pre/post NFL draft than you're ignorant.

My biggest issue with taking Bell is his ceiling. Does anyone see him as a RB1 long term?
Size-speed-power-pedigree and most importantly no real roster threat... Umm I do. RB1 depends a lot on schedules and workload. I don't have him as a RB1 this year but 1200+ 10+ TDs is in reach immediately.

Size-speed-power-pedigree and most importantly no real roster threat... Umm I do. RB1 depends a lot on schedules and workload. I don't have him as a RB1 this year but 1200+ 10+ TDs is in reach immediately.
Bell: 6'1 1/2 230, 4.6 40

Dwyer: 5'11 1/2 229, 4.59 40

They're not that different and Bell hasn't been named the starter yet. That's why I would temper your projections, plus Dwyer did have two 100 yard games last year(1 in 2011 as well) and averaged 4.0 YPC. Don't forget that Dwyer is only 23 as well. The hit rate for 2nd round RBs isn't 100%. If you're counting on Bell to be a 1200 yard RB in your lineup in 2013, you may be disappointed.

Bell's running style reminds me of a young Larry Johnson.
I can see the comparison but I do not think Bell has the same speed/burst that LJ had. LJ was a 1st round pick who likely would have been drafted higher if he didn't have character issues that caused him to drop, have to wait to start and get a tongue lashing from **** Vermeil, which did seem to light a fire with him.

I realize people are saying that the 2nd round is the new 1st round for RB. But in the 2013 draft there were not so many top prospects that would have caused LJ to slide to mid 2nd round if he were coming in as a rookie. LJ likely would have been drafted higher than 27th pick in the 2013 draft, attitude problems and all. You compare the 2003 draft with 2013 and I think you would agree. I am not a fan of LJ but he was a very good RB.

I like Bell a lot and I think he will be a successful starter. I just don't think he is same talent level as LJ.

• Smile
Reactions: Zab

Users who are viewing this thread