What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (10 Viewers)

Yep. A lineman “missing” a blocking assignment could put Bell in a world of hurt. It’s unlikely, but I could see the line taking their foot off the gas a touch at times to remind him who’s backs he stands on. 
Pretty ####ty if they did that. I don't understand why teammaters and fellow union members would side with ownership over a player when it's about trying to get players paid. Just imagine at your job if you were trying to get a raise after years of elite performance and an incredible workload only to have your coworkers put you on blast or even put you in harms way. That's really messed up. 

He probably would have if he had not had two knee injuries (not his fault) and two drug suspensions (absolutely his fault) in his first three years in the league.   You can't blame the Steelers for being just a little nervous about extending a long term contract with a huge guarantees to a player with his baggage. 

Gurly has no such history and so the perceived risk is much lower.
They could have added a stipulation where a drug suspension voids any future guaranteed money or makes the entire contract voidable.

Pretty ####ty if they did that. I don't understand why teammaters and fellow union members would side with ownership over a player when it's about trying to get players paid. Just imagine at your job if you were trying to get a raise after years of elite performance and an incredible workload only to have your coworkers put you on blast or even put you in harms way. That's really messed up. 
If it was 100% about the paycheck, then I would agree.  But there is this little thing called the Lombardi Trophy that they collectively are trying to earn, and what Bell is doing is making it more difficult.

He probably would have if he had not had two knee injuries (not his fault) and two drug suspensions (absolutely his fault) in his first three years in the league.   You can't blame the Steelers for being just a little nervous about extending a long term contract with a huge guarantee to a player with his baggage. 

Fair point about the drug suspensions.  I'm sure it was pot, which if caught would suspend half the league. But that would/should cost him.  That being said, they have conduct clauses even with guaranteed money that would protect them.  As for injury history, see Gurley's college career for comparison.  Gurley's contract set the bar/market.  Just like Cousins did with the guaranteed QB money.  Pay the man his money.  Or don't.

Some things to keep in mind that I don't think everyone realizes:

"A player can be tagged up to three times by their team. Teams are also allowed to rescind the franchise or transition tag, allowing that player to become a free agent.

There are three kinds of tags.

The exclusive tag means a team pays said player either the average salary of the top five highest-paid players at his position, or 120% of his salary from the previous year (whichever of the two numbers is higher). A player can’t negotiate with other teams in this situation and they are bound to their current franchise.

The non-exclusive tag is the same from a fiscal standpoint, but lets players negotiate with other teams, who can make them contract offers. The player’s current team can match any offer sheet, and if they decline to match, then the player’s new team has to send two first-round picks as compensation.

The transition tag gives the player a one-year salary that equals the average of the 10 highest-paid players at his position and allows him to negotiate with other teams. His original team can decide whether to match or not match other offers. If they decide not to match, the new team does not have to send compensation and gets the player.

Players can be franchise-tagged in consecutive seasons, but the financial downside for teams increases each time. Two years in a row, for example, means the player receives 120% of his previous year’s salary, and every subsequent year, that percentage would scale upward and become costlier."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/franchise-tag-contract-rules-explanation-date-deadline

He probably would have if he had not had two knee injuries (not his fault) and two drug suspensions (absolutely his fault) in his first three years in the league.   You can't blame the Steelers for being just a little nervous about extending a long term contract with a huge guarantee to a player with his baggage. 

yeah absolutely.  bell:gurley is not apples to apples.  gurley is much younger (in rb years), healthier and has no off-the-field concerns. also the rams have a qb on a rookie contract still so they can afford the cap hit easier and are also at the start of their super bowl window as opposed to the end of it.  for all these reasons it makes much more sense for the rams to lock him up now.

where there is an apt comparison i think is the part where he mentioned stringing them out with franchise tags.  but you cant really blame the steelers for being smart with this.  its the way the system is designed.  rb is the least important position on the field and they guys have such a short shelf life that this approach (with a rb on a rookie contract who drastically outperforms projections, that is) makes a hell of a lot of sense.

I figured it out...here's the solution...

Bell shows up.

He plays but...get this...he sucks on purpose.

The Steelers have no choice but to pay him for this year but to not wear him down because he sucks.  They are forced to use Connor.

Another team next year understand Bell's reasoning and pays him a boatload of money.

Wala!

Siding with ownership? 

Have you heard comments being made by his line, lately? 

I figured it out...here's the solution...

Bell shows up.

He plays but...get this...he sucks on purpose.

The Steelers have no choice but to pay him for this year but to not wear him down because he sucks. They are forced to use Connor.

Another team next year understand Bell's reasoning and pays him a boatload of money.

Wala!
Who is.. the girl in your avatar. 

I guess you can offer a future 1 and 2 and see how it goes from there and/or a young player. I think the owner may want more but that should at least elicit a counter.
WHy would anyone but a dope trade Bell for discounted FUTURE assets.  Bell IS a future asset, and a top future asset.  

Unless that future 1 is a sure thing to be the #1 pick, seems like a horrible offer.  And that is even assuming Bell doesnt play at all this year.

Because he deserves it. I applaud his teammates for speaking out against him.
Right.  In the cases of players holding out, they are obviously holding out for more money.  Their intentions are known.

With Bell, nothing can be negotiated.  The ONLY reason his intentions are not knows is out of spite, not money. 

PLayers speaking out about him at the moment is nothing close to the same as if they were speaking out about a guy who can actually still negotiate.

Well, if you are a D###, sometimes that can happen.

WHy would anyone but a dope trade Bell for discounted FUTURE assets.  Bell IS a future asset, and a top future asset.  

Unless that future 1 is a sure thing to be the #1 pick, seems like a horrible offer.  And that is even assuming Bell doesnt play at all this year.
Maybe follow along with the entire conversation?

I wouldn't expect anyone to trade him for a first (depending on the young player that is included also) - but he would be able to find out if the owner was interested in moving Bell at all.

Maybe follow along with the entire conversation?

I wouldn't expect anyone to trade him for a first (depending on the young player that is included also) - but he would be able to find out if the owner was interested in moving Bell at all.
You can always just ask rather than send a terrible offer.

One thing I have definitely noticed in FF, is that people take a lot of stuff way too seriously and way too personally.  Starting with lowball offers makes it harder to strike a deal with a lot of owners out there, and in a lot of cases I think it makes then actually need more from you for a deal to get done than if you had just either sent a normal offer or just a nice friendly email inquiring about the player.

If it was 100% about the paycheck, then I would agree.  But there is this little thing called the Lombardi Trophy that they collectively are trying to earn, and what Bell is doing is making it more difficult.
It’s his job- ultimately it’s about the pay.

Siding with ownership? 

Have you heard comments being made by his line, lately? 
I know they aren’t framing it that way but it’s what they are doing. Bell wanted to see RBs get paid what he thinks they deserve. He’s trying to get the best contract for himself. His teammates are putting him on blast. They aren’t taking his side. The other side is the Steelers management. 

I think a Steelers fan should applaud the way they're handling this, for the most part.  Recent history says that throwing huge second deals at RBs is not a great fiscal move.  That's pretty established.

It was also pretty established that the narrative around Bell, for a long time, has been the Steelers are gonna ride him through this year's tag, and let him go.  This has been said for more than a year.  They had a rookie deal, and bearable cap numbers for the best RB in the game for two years.  Let someone else pay for his twilight years, squeeze as much juice out of him as you can in 2018, and call it a day.  That is what I would want my team to do, I don't want them paying this guy 15 mill when he's 31 years old.  Notice you aren't reading any Steelers fan complaining they didn't extend him two years ago.  

Most people are in agreement this is what the plan is, and I think most of that group thinks it's the right move.   You think Bell doesn't have Twitter?  

Don't forget:  BELL IS NOT UNDER CONTRACT.  He's not breaking any agreement.  He dominated for peanuts for years.  He doesn't owe anyone in PIT a damn thing.  

It's like everyone agreed to beat the #### out of the rental car, and can't believe the rental car isn't completely on board.

I know they aren’t framing it that way but it’s what they are doing. Bell wanted to see RBs get paid what he thinks they deserve. He’s trying to get the best contract for himself. His teammates are putting him on blast. They aren’t taking his side. The other side is the Steelers management. 
You and I simply have a difference of opinion. You feel this is purely a Bell vs owners Black/White issue... and if they’re not with him they’re with ownership. 

I feel it’s more of a fluid grey-area situation with more variables/sides at play, not the least of which is “the team” and their desire for unified goal of winning the super bowl. 

No biggie. People disagree all the time on here. Cheers GB :thumbup: :banned:  

You and I simply have a difference of opinion. You feel this is purely a Bell vs owners Black/White issue... and if they’re not with him they’re with ownership. 

I feel it’s more of a fluid grey-area situation with more variables/sides at play, not the least of which is “the team” and their desire for unified goal of winning the super bowl. 

No biggie. People disagree all the time on here. Cheers GB :thumbup: :banned:  
No sweat. Here’s to some good bourbon drinking this weekend and week 1 action.

I think a Steelers fan should applaud the way they're handling this, for the most part.  Recent history says that throwing huge second deals at RBs is not a great fiscal move.  That's pretty established.

It was also pretty established that the narrative around Bell, for a long time, has been the Steelers are gonna ride him through this year's tag, and let him go.  This has been said for more than a year.  They had a rookie deal, and bearable cap numbers for the best RB in the game for two years.  Let someone else pay for his twilight years, squeeze as much juice out of him as you can in 2018, and call it a day.  That is what I would want my team to do, I don't want them paying this guy 15 mill when he's 31 years old.  Notice you aren't reading any Steelers fan complaining they didn't extend him two years ago.  

Most people are in agreement this is what the plan is, and I think most of that group thinks it's the right move.   You think Bell doesn't have Twitter?  

Don't forget:  BELL IS NOT UNDER CONTRACT.  He's not breaking any agreement.  He dominated for peanuts for years.  He doesn't owe anyone in PIT a damn thing.  

It's like everyone agreed to beat the #### out of the rental car, and can't believe the rental car isn't completely on board.
Seems like they should have just signed the extension 2 years ago. Could have done a huge 5 year deal and had him from 24-29. If he agreed to a clause that he gets suspended for drugs again and some percent is voided, it would have made more sense than this current mess has become. I guess that’s hindsight though.

I look at it from a "what would I do" perspective.  I would take the 14.5 million today and guarantee myself a lifetime of riches, with an excellent chance at greatly increasing those riches next year, with a very small chance of not being able to increase those riches next year.  

I mean, for real, to me it looks incredibly obvious that the smart financial move is to sign the tag and make the 14.5 million this year, and go from there.

Plus maybe take a million of that and get myself a kick ### insurance policy.  

I look at it from a "what would I do" perspective.  I would take the 14.5 million today and guarantee myself a lifetime of riches, with an excellent chance at greatly increasing those riches next year, with a very small chance of not being able to increase those riches next year.  

I mean, for real, to me it looks incredibly obvious that the smart financial move is to sign the tag and make the 14.5 million this year, and go from there.

Plus maybe take a million of that and get myself a kick ### insurance policy.  
I would too.

I think Bell is doing this from a “I have enough money already and as a matter of principle I want to change the RB market” perspective though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agreed. It does seem like Bell was going to do the bell thing and report, saw the gurley deal and said “f this”. No one is wrong in this situation. The Steelers are putting team before player, Bell is looking out for his best interests, and the fans can go screw bc the nfl knows you are going to watch the Steelers with Conner as much as you are going to watch them with Bell. 

Finally, the one thing you missed on the “let him walk” is they’ll also likely get a 3rd round compensatory pick on bells next deal w someone else. 

Pretty much this.  Do they even have room for a large Bell extension?  With Big Ben and Brown I imagine taking up a big chunk of room, it seems unusual to give that many skill positions top dollar. (I haven't looked)

I would too.

I think Bell is doing this from a “I have enough money already and as a matter of principle I want to change the RB market” perspective though.
Yeah I think so and he’s both right and wrong about it at the same time. 

Pretty much this.  Do they even have room for a large Bell extension?  With Big Ben and Brown I imagine taking up a big chunk of room, it seems unusual to give that many skill positions top dollar. (I haven't looked)
Probably. The way the cap grows each year and the fact Ben won’t be around much longer, they could likely make it work. They just were never planning on it. Bell is kind of seeing what the future is for most elite RBs: year to year valuation.

Brown's 4 year/$68 million is only $19 million guaranteed, pitt is known cheap

Brown's 4 year/$68 million is only $19 million guaranteed, pitt is know cheap
19 mill was more than Julio and AJ got around the same time, plus higher AAV than them,

well, ok actually the signing bonus was technically larger, but the guaranteed money was much less for Brown.  You are right, that is Pitt's way.  All roster bonuses essentially for each year I believe.

Tomlin is a jerk and has no control of his team....Brown is all about himself and Bell is obviously all about himself as well. Feel so lucky to root for a team that cares about winning.

19 mill was more than Julio and AJ got around the same time, plus higher AAV than them,

well, ok actually the signing bonus was technically larger, but the guaranteed money was much less for Brown.  You are right, that is Pitt's way.  All roster bonuses essentially for each year I believe.
Yes, point being, how much does/did le'veon want guaranteed? 

Steelers offered 30 some million guaranteed but they were below the 17 million a year he wanted and he declined.  I think they were offering around the 14-15 million a year that he’d make this year had he signed and played all 17 games

Im not sure if he wanted more guaranteed or not, I know the yearly number is a big deal to him though 

Yep. A lineman “missing” a blocking assignment could put Bell in a world of hurt. It’s unlikely, but I could see the line taking their foot off the gas a touch at times to remind him who’s backs he stands on. 
Putting a half-### effort on tape for eternity only hurts their own career.  Wouldn't be too bright.

Steelers offered 30 some million guaranteed but they were below the 17 million a year he wanted and he declined.  I think they were offering around the 14-15 million a year that he’d make this year had he signed and played all 17 games

Im not sure if he wanted more guaranteed or not, I know the yearly number is a big deal to him though 
They didn’t offer $30M in guaranteed money; they offered $10M.  The $30-some million first reported was not truly guaranteed.  This has been reported & covered in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread