What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alex Smith Trade (1 Viewer)

towney

Footballguy
Jason La Canfora's twitter and Rotoworld

The 49ers have expressed to others that a deal for QB Alex Smith is effectively complete. Can't be finalized til league year begins 3/12. Jason La Canfora NFL insider for CBS and CBS sports

Where you think he's going AZ?

Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Would they trade him in the division?No shortage of potential destinations. Chiefs. Jets. Bills. Jaguars. Cardinals.My guess is one of those.

Would they trade him in the division?

No shortage of potential destinations. Chiefs. Jets. Bills. Jaguars. Cardinals.

My guess is one of those.
why not? He isnt that good, New England traded Bledsoe to Buffalo. At th end of the day, if someone is willing to pay the price, they will trade em anywhere

NE traded Bledsoe in division to Buffalo and it worked out. I have a feeling if Alex Smith went to Arizona, they wouldn't have an issue. My guess is Arizona. Arians may still draft a QB, but he needs to get a player that's serviceable for 2013.

SF knows that AZ still needs some weapons for Smith to throw to if he were traded there. But I personally think he goes to KC for maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder. Or maybe 4th in 2013 and 4th in 2014. Then KC could get an OT or focus on defense again. Maybe trade back into the 1st to get one of the top WRs?

SF knows that AZ still needs some weapons for Smith to throw to if he were traded there. But I personally think he goes to KC for maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder. Or maybe 4th in 2013 and 4th in 2014. Then KC could get an OT or focus on defense again. Maybe trade back into the 1st to get one of the top WRs?
I'd say more weapons for the QB to throw to is the last thing Arizona needs. They've got a full deck with Fitzgerald, Roberts, Floyd, and Housler. Player-for-player deals rarely happen in the NFL, but a Roberts for Smith deal would actually make some sense for both parties.

weapons? You mean like Fitz, Floyd, Roberts, and Housler?? Not too many offenses with weapons as good as that. If you meant to say offensive line that can give him time, then I agree...

I'd say more weapons for the QB to throw to is the last thing Arizona needs. They've got a full deck with Fitzgerald, Roberts, Floyd, and Housler. Player-for-player deals rarely happen in the NFL, but a Roberts for Smith deal would actually make some sense for both parties.
beat me by a sec, but I agree that Roberts for Smith would make sense...so would Baldwin or Wylie for Smith

NE traded Bledsoe in division to Buffalo and it worked out. I have a feeling if Alex Smith went to Arizona, they wouldn't have an issue. My guess is Arizona. Arians may still draft a QB, but he needs to get a player that's serviceable for 2013.
Out of those teams you listed I'd take the Chiefs against the field. It won't be the Jaguars. It's not hard to read between the lines, they are going to go with Gabbert.

Cardinals want a QB who can throw deep.

Jet's don't have cap room for his salary.

Buffalo makes some sense, I just don't think it's them.

I say if it's not KC it's the Browns due to Norv connection but my money is on KC.

Gotta be the Cards or KC. Flip a coin, IMO.I don't see why many other teams aren't making a run for him. He's a former #1 pick who can make all the throws and has plenty of career left. If I was a KC or Cards fan I would love to see them trade for him, considering it was projected to only cost a 4th rounder + big contract.Call him a game manager or whatever you want, but he did everything they asked of him for years. I feel bad for him because he had to learn something like 4 different offenses in his first 6 years in the league. That's brutal. Not that I want to compare Rodgers the player to Smith the player, but it has to help a lot to be in the same system for an entire career. The Packers have the luxury of not making rash decisions. Even with Rodgers' talent the Pack still went 4-12 one year, but the GM let them stick with it and look what happens. I wish fans wouldn't call for a coaches head every time they have a losing season... invariably I think it just takes longer for that team to return to prominence. The Harbaugh/49ers are an extreme example and I think not a good one - that team was LOADED with talent when Harbaugh took it over and he could easily have two Super Bowl wins with Alex Smith right now, if not for a fumbled punt return last year. Smith was capable of getting there this year too.

Out of those teams you listed I'd take the Chiefs against the field. It won't be the Jaguars. It's not hard to read between the lines, they are going to go with Gabbert.

I say if it's not KC it's the Browns due to Norv connection but my money is on KC.
Agreed. Allows them to take BPA in draft, too...not settling on Geno. KC makes more sense to me than AZ and more sense by a mile with the other teams.

Agreed. Allows them to take BPA in draft, too...not settling on Geno. KC makes more sense to me than AZ and more sense by a mile with the other teams.
By the way, this report likely isn't true. This sounds like a transparent ploy leaked well ahead of the deadline so that all the teams interested in Smith have to up their ante to out-bid each other. Careful about media reports this time of the year - usually they serve a purpose other than the actual info leaked.

I read earlier today that KC doesn't have 1 quarterback on its board with a first round grade in this draft. I think there's 0 chance they take a qb with the first pick. (I'll try to find the link)

I read earlier today that KC doesn't have 1 quarterback on its board with a first round grade in this draft. I think there's 0 chance they take a qb with the first pick. (I'll try to find the link)
Odd that NFL.com has it up if its not true.My link

Careful about media reports this time of the year - usually they serve a purpose other than the actual info leaked.
KC wants Foles. The Eagles say he's not for sale trying to drive up his price. The Chiefs float a rumor that a trade is nearly done for Alex Smith to drive his price back down.

Everywhere I go in Indianapolis, I hear someone say that the Alex Smith-to-Kansas City Chiefs deal is all but done. NFL.com's Ian Rapoport says the Chiefs have showed the most interest. Mr. RapSheet also hears the Chiefs are particularly high on tackle Luke Joeckel as a No. 1 overall pick candidate.
I didn't see the "not true" part.

Everywhere I go in Indianapolis, I hear someone say that the Alex Smith-to-Kansas City Chiefs deal is all but done. NFL.com's Ian Rapoport says the Chiefs have showed the most interest. Mr. RapSheet also hears the Chiefs are particularly high on tackle Luke Joeckel as a No. 1 overall pick candidate.
I wasn't insinuating it wasn't true. Just pointing out it was odd for NFL.com to lead it on its website with nothing concrete.

I wasn't insinuating it wasn't true. Just pointing out it was odd for NFL.com to lead it on its website with nothing concrete.
Good point. I must have misinterpreted your last post.

'loose circuits said:
'Sinrman said:
weapons? You mean like Fitz, Floyd, Roberts, and Housler?? Not too many offenses with weapons as good as that. If you meant to say offensive line that can give him time, then I agree...
Fitz is a beast, no doubt. I liked what I saw from Roberts, and is showing improvement. Perhaps a better QB will make him a top #2? Floyd has talent, but it's way too early to tell how he turns out. Housler? Eh, some are high on him, but I'm not convinced yet.The running game just can't stay healthy and needs to step it up to relieve pressure off the QB (whoever it ends up being).Overall, it's not unheard of to trade within your division, but I have my doubts that SF wants to trade him to AZ. Ship him off to the AFC where they will rarely see him again...

'meyerj31 said:
'cobalt_27 said:
'menobrown said:
'tdmills said:
'EBF said:

By the way, this report likely isn't true. This sounds like a transparent ploy leaked well ahead of the deadline so that all the teams interested in Smith have to up their ante to out-bid each other. Careful about media reports this time of the year - usually they serve a purpose other than the actual info leaked.
Thanks for the warning. This is my first offseason of NFL. Never had any idea there was misinformation being thrown around like that. Helpful to have your insights.I still think he lands in KC.

@HenryWoffordCSN: Multiple reports tha Alex Smith will be traded to the Kansas City Chiefs. Stay tuned, we'll have the latest on Sportsnet Central and NBC

I really hope it's Buffalo. He's do well with the Bills running game and their o-line protecting him. Then they could draft a young QB prospect in the 2nd or 3rd round to sit around for 3 years and mature.

I really hope it's Buffalo. He's do well with the Bills running game and their o-line protecting him. Then they could draft a young QB prospect in the 2nd or 3rd round to sit around for 3 years and mature.
I doubt it.1) The cap would be a problem, I woudl think. What's Fitzpatrick's cap figure after the deal they just gave him? I'm guessing he would be too expensive to cut?2) Way too competent a move for the Bills to make it.

I doubt it.1) The cap would be a problem, I woudl think. What's Fitzpatrick's cap figure after the deal they just gave him? I'm guessing he would be too expensive to cut?2) Way too competent a move for the Bills to make it.
feels like a lateral move for Buffalo. im not sure he's any better/worse than Fitzp

Question: has Smith ever run a WCO? Because Doug Pederson is their new OC along with a "traditional" WCO guy in Reid -- if Smith hasn't run a WCO, I would think Flynn would have the higher likelihood of going to KC because he's been in GB's QB school for years.I ask the question again: has Smith been a part of the WCO?

feels like a lateral move for Buffalo. im not sure he's any better/worse than Fitzp
It might be lateral in generic terms as far as overall quality I guess, but I think Gailey got the best out of Fitzpatrick. With him gone now, Fitzpatrick makes less sense. I would definitely take Smith over Fitzpatrick in a vaccuum.

Unless it's just a veteran too push a young qb, I'd hope KC could get a better qb than Smith. I tried to grab Bowe but it never worked out, makes me glad now. Not interested in Cassel part II.

Is Smith cheaper than Foles? What other reason would Reid have for trading for Smith instead of Foles?

Is Smith cheaper than Foles? What other reason would Reid have for trading for Smith instead of Foles?
In terms of draft picks, Smith is quite probably cheaper than Foles. SFO has little trade leverage because of everyone's belief that they will cut Smith if they can't trade him. The Eagles can afford to hold onto Foles and his rookie contract, so they'll need more in draft picks.

In terms of draft picks, Smith is quite probably cheaper than Foles. SFO has little trade leverage because of everyone's belief that they will cut Smith if they can't trade him. The Eagles can afford to hold onto Foles and his rookie contract, so they'll need more in draft picks.
Both are backups, but Smith obviously has a much longer track record and I would think would be more appealing. But I think the fact that Vick can't stay healthy for an entire season might mean Philly might hang onto him no matter what, or demand more than he's worth (and put him up there with Smith as far as trade value). I have never been a Smith fan, but even I have to admit that he's been fairly solid for 1½ seasons with very little to throw to. Give him a strong running game to take pressure off of him, and you never know... this is why I personally think KC is the perfect landing spot. They have some great weapons already there.

Give him a strong running game to take pressure off of him, and you never know... this is why I personally think KC is the perfect landing spot. They have some great weapons already there.
KC would be a good spot for Smith.
I agree as well. They need to add a weapon on the outside if, assuming Bowe is gone. Everything else is pretty solid though. I like the fit.

You know it's a bad year for QBs when 4-5 teams and fanbases are clamoring for Alex Smith or Nick Foles... lol.

The problem with Smith is that you're getting an average QB (at best) who'll be 29 to start the season. Everyone sees Manning and Brady and etc playing well into their thirties and forgets that the aging curve is very different for average (at best) QBs. The team that signs Smith is possibly (no one knows for sure) getting him just in time to watch his skills erode.

The problem with Smith is that you're getting an average QB (at best) who'll be 29 to start the season. Everyone sees Manning and Brady and etc playing well into their thirties and forgets that the aging curve is very different for average (at best) QBs. The team that signs Smith is possibly (no one knows for sure) getting him just in time to watch his skills erode.
For most teams yes, but Reid is something of a QB guru. I can see him doing quite well with Reid as his mentor. I'm not ready to put him top 10, but it will allow them to get a starting QB, shore up the O line, and fill in some other holes at the same time. He's not a QB for the next decade, but he will allow them to be competitive while they rebuild the rest of the team. Just about the time they have all the holes filled, he will likely be grooming his replacement who just signed a letter of intent with a college in the last few weeks...

Given Reid will have him throw 35-40 times a game, does he have any upside? Would have liked Foles or Geno better, but I still think it's a system that will produce stats.

Given Reid will have him throw 35-40 times a game, does he have any upside? Would have liked Foles or Geno better, but I still think it's a system that will produce stats.
I dunno. Harbaugh had him averaging 27 throws a game until he got hurt this year. Smith was QB19 after 7 weeks. Can't see Smith suddenly becoming a fantasy factor. I think he probably hurts Bowe as well if Bowe stays. (not necessarily from Bowe's 2012 numbers, but his career averages).

A report by CBSsports.com today said the San Francisco 49ers have informed teams they have a deal in place to trade quarterback Alex Smith to a team once the dealing period opens March 12.That team is not the Jaguars.“Not us,” general manager Dave Caldwell said in a text message to the Times-Union.

'meyerj31 said:
Gotta be the Cards or KC. Flip a coin, IMO.I don't see why many other teams aren't making a run for him. He's a former #1 pick who can make all the throws and has plenty of career left. If I was a KC or Cards fan I would love to see them trade for him, considering it was projected to only cost a 4th rounder + big contract.Call him a game manager or whatever you want, but he did everything they asked of him for years. I feel bad for him because he had to learn something like 4 different offenses in his first 6 years in the league. That's brutal. Not that I want to compare Rodgers the player to Smith the player, but it has to help a lot to be in the same system for an entire career. The Packers have the luxury of not making rash decisions. Even with Rodgers' talent the Pack still went 4-12 one year, but the GM let them stick with it and look what happens. I wish fans wouldn't call for a coaches head every time they have a losing season... invariably I think it just takes longer for that team to return to prominence. The Harbaugh/49ers are an extreme example and I think not a good one - that team was LOADED with talent when Harbaugh took it over and he could easily have two Super Bowl wins with Alex Smith right now, if not for a fumbled punt return last year. Smith was capable of getting there this year too.
Smith had the same QB coach Jim Hostler (who is now the WR coach in BAL) his first 3 years in SF, the third year with Hostler as OC. Hostler's offense was a hybrid mish mash of Norv Turner's and Mike McCarthy's offenses. Turner watered down his offense for Smith. The 4th OC was Martz, who used the digtal system as Turner's and based on the Coryell which Turner also had a base of his offense with. Jimmy Raye also used the digital terminology with his offense. So it isn't as radical as people like to think as far as Smith learning whole new offenses. The only radical change was going from McCarthy to Turner, and Turner did wonders for Smith. But that was because they had Frank Gore in his breakout season as well in 2006. Jason Campbell also had a lof ot OC's in his first few years as well for food for thought. The "could easily have two Super Bowl wins" is fishing.

Both are backups, but Smith obviously has a much longer track record and I would think would be more appealing. But I think the fact that Vick can't stay healthy for an entire season might mean Philly might hang onto him no matter what, or demand more than he's worth (and put him up there with Smith as far as trade value). I have never been a Smith fan, but even I have to admit that he's been fairly solid for 1½ seasons with very little to throw to. Give him a strong running game to take pressure off of him, and you never know... this is why I personally think KC is the perfect landing spot. They have some great weapons already there.
Smith only has 2 full regular seasons as starter his entire career. Injury and ineffectiveness are the two reasons why. The team with a QB waiting in the wings to be groomed is the best fit with Smith.

:confused: are you saying the Chiefs have better receivers than San Fran did? Assuming Bowe comes back, it's a push at best IMO. Without Bowe it isn't close. Charles is better than Gore, so there is that.

Question: has Smith ever run a WCO? Because Doug Pederson is their new OC along with a "traditional" WCO guy in Reid -- if Smith hasn't run a WCO, I would think Flynn would have the higher likelihood of going to KC because he's been in GB's QB school for years.I ask the question again: has Smith been a part of the WCO?
Yes, his first year with Mike McCarthy as OC in SF. ETA: Harbaugh also runs a bit of WCO in his offense as well.

Yes, his first year with Mike McCarthy as OC in SF. ETA: Harbaugh also runs a bit of WCO in his offense as well.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread