What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone not like Eddie Lacy? (1 Viewer)

'Dr. Octopus said:
After learning that Lacy won't be running at his pro-day - how much concern does that give you as a potential dynasy owner?

My only concern is that teams wanted to see specific numbers on him, and he won't be able to provide them. I am not worried about the injury itself, just the timing.

It will be interesting to see where he lands, and how much this hurts his stock.
Its enough of a concern for me that I would take Bernard and Bell ahead of him situation being equal.
That seems like a pretty huge overreaction to me. There's plenty of tape on Lacy.
and it's not like those guys put up super impressive combine numbers.
Not super impressive, but solid. I feel comfortable with my assessment of them based on those numbers. If Lacy doesn't workout I rather take the safe route. What I've seen of Lacy doesn't lead me to believe he would have super impressive numbers either. He could though, or he could be terrible. I'll reserve judgement until I know something.

Where could he end up?

Ideas:

Rams pick 16, 22

-Do they think Richardon/Pead are bell-cow RBs?

Pittsburgh pick 17

-They only have Dwyer

Bengals pick 21, 37

-BJGE was better down the stretch, but do they believe in him?

Colts pick 24

-Nobody has talked about this possibility. Indy has spent quite a bit of money all offseason, but RB is still a hole on the team. Donald Brown/Vick Ballard doesn't look like a bright future.

GB pick 26

-How long will they continue to ignore this position?

Denver pick 28

-Moreno/McGahee/Hillman, sure they can get by with them. But it looks like they're all in the next two years with Peyton/Welker, i'm sure upgrade at RB would help them.

Atlanta pick 30

-Steven Jackson isn't the long term answer. Maybe they have a committee in 2013 before handing over the reigns to Lacy in 2014.

49ers pick 31, 34

-See Atlanta reasoning, but LMJ/Hunter cloudy this scenario

Jaguars pick 33

-MJD is an UFA in 2014

Jets pick 39

-Powell/Goodson, the Jets could use an upgrade and some stability on an unstable offense.

Where could he end up?

Ideas:

Rams pick 16, 22

-Do they think Richardon/Pead are bell-cow RBs?

Think this is a real possibility -- Fisher loves battering rams and Lacy should be a good one.

Pittsburgh pick 17

-They only have Dwyer

Would be a little surprised, but they do need a back and I'd expect they like Lacy

Bengals pick 21, 37

-BJGE was better down the stretch, but do they believe in him?

One thing working for the a Lacy to Bengals scenario is that BJGE is a very average talent who's 27 before the season starts. Average backs get old in a hurry.

Colts pick 24

-Nobody has talked about this possibility. Indy has spent quite a bit of money all offseason, but RB is still a hole on the team. Donald Brown/Vick Ballard doesn't look like a bright future.

I think Ballard can be serviceable, and that the Colts roll with what they've got plus a later pick

GB pick 26

-How long will they continue to ignore this position?

At least until Lacy's gone IMO.

Denver pick 28

-Moreno/McGahee/Hillman, sure they can get by with them. But it looks like they're all in the next two years with Peyton/Welker, i'm sure upgrade at RB would help them.

If you can figure out who from the trio you list is the guy to own this year you'll have a steal IMO. Think the Broncs go with what they've got.

Atlanta pick 30

-Steven Jackson isn't the long term answer. Maybe they have a committee in 2013 before handing over the reigns to Lacy in 2014.

Doubt they'd sign Jackson and then use a 1st rounder in the same year.

49ers pick 31, 34

-See Atlanta reasoning, but LMJ/Hunter cloudy this scenario

Don't see it. Gore's still productive and they're stacked behind him (if healthy).

Jets pick 39

-Powell/Goodson, the Jets could use an upgrade and some stability on an unstable offense.

I'd think that the Jets are a really likely landing spot, except that their first rounder is too early and their 2nd rounder may be too late. The Bengals also have an early pick in the 2nd round from the Palmer trade.
:goodposting: comments in bold

Last edited by a moderator:
I like him enough to consider him undoubtedly the #1 pick in rookie drafts.

I think his floor is Marion Barber and his ceiling is Steven Jackson. His physicality makes me worry about a short career, but I have the same worry about Richardson.

I think what will be really interesting is comparing Richardson and Lacy through their careers.

I like him enough to consider him undoubtedly the #1 pick in rookie drafts.I think his floor is Marion Barber and his ceiling is Steven Jackson. His physicality makes me worry about a short career, but I have the same worry about Richardson.I think what will be really interesting is comparing Richardson and Lacy through their careers.
I was thinking he looks alot like Eddie George

'bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
'FunkyTeaParty said:
I like him enough to consider him undoubtedly the #1 pick in rookie drafts.I think his floor is Marion Barber and his ceiling is Steven Jackson. His physicality makes me worry about a short career, but I have the same worry about Richardson.I think what will be really interesting is comparing Richardson and Lacy through their careers.
I was thinking he looks alot like Eddie George
Wow...would be nice to have that kind of runner going out there again. A little speed with great power...doesn't fumble much...doesn't lose yards. Actually would be an ideal guy for Mike McCarthy in GB as he does not worry about ypc like the fans do and more about how productive the carries really are for his team.Not sure I see RB being the best player available on Ted Thompson's board though.

If Gb picks lacy in the 1st I will projectile vomit all over
Why? I think that's a good spot. Contrary to popular belief, Green Bay is not a pass first, pass second team like NE or NO. They ranked 15th in both pass and run attempts this past year. When Benson was healthy, they fed him. And Lacy is much better than Benson. I love GB for Lacy.

Why? I think that's a good spot. Contrary to popular belief, Green Bay is not a pass first, pass second team like NE or GB. They ranked 15th in both pass and run attempts this past year. When Benson was healthy, they fed him. And Lacy is much better than Benson. I love GB for Lacy.
I took it to mean he's a Packer fan and not a Lacy fan.

Why? I think that's a good spot. Contrary to popular belief, Green Bay is not a pass first, pass second team like NE or GB. They ranked 15th in both pass and run attempts this past year. When Benson was healthy, they fed him. And Lacy is much better than Benson. I love GB for Lacy.
Exactly. Just because gb needs a RB that doesn't mean they should reach on a 3rd round talent in the 1st round

Exactly. Just because gb needs a RB that doesn't mean they should reach on a 3rd round talent in the 1st round
Ah my bad. :lmao: at calling Lacy a 3rd round talent though.

As an owner of the 1.01, I would be very happy with Lacy going to GB. A lot of TDs to go around, and a lot of respect paid to the passing game.

Glad Lacy has the moderated seal of disapproval...makes me want them to take him even more.

3rd round talent :lmao:

Eddie Lacy - RB - PlayerAlabama RB Eddie Lacy (hamstring) will work out for NFL evaluators on April 11.

Lacy has been nursing a hamstring injury throughout the pre-draft process. If he can cobble together a fast forty time -- anything in the 4.5s for the 230-plus pounder -- Lacy's stock could generate momentum just before April's draft. The hamstring injury lingered long enough that it'll be a situation to monitor into OTAs. It does sound like Lacy is rounding back toward 100 percent.

Source: Profootballtalk on Twitter

Think people are over thinking this. He doesn't have to be AP or Richardson. He can still be a great NFL and FF RB. Appears to have all the tools and several teams appear to have a legit need. That should equal a very productive player right out of the gate.

It all depends on where he ends up, especially in PPR leagues. For example, I could definitely see the Bengals taking him at 37. They have strongly hinted that they want to draft two RBs this year. One as a complement and eventual replacement for BJGE and one who is a 3rd down type of back. If they draft Lacy, he could take over as the lead back quickly. But BJGE would still be kept and get carries. And they would probably have a smaller and quicker guy on 3rd down. I think you would be looking at 1,000 yards, 15-20 catches. 7-8 TDs. Solid, but not likely to give you the huge numbers you want from a 1.01.

2013 Draft: Alabama's Lacy to hold April 11 workout

By Jeff Reynolds | NFLDraftScout.com

Alabama junior running back Eddie Lacy is ready to return to the field and will hold a workout for NFL scouts on April 11, two weeks before the 2013 NFL Draft.

Lacy hasn't been seen on the field in a competitive situation since steamrolling Notre Dame's vaunted defense in the 2012 national championship game. A strained hamstring rendered him to observer status at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis and Alabama's pro day.

At the end of the season, Lacy was NFLDraftScout.com's top-ranked running back, but that doesn't guarantee him a spot in the first round ala Mark Ingram (2011) and Trent Richardson (2012), who preceded Lacy as starting tailbacks for crunch-and-munch Crimson Tide offense.

Scouts estimate Lacy's speed is in the high 4.5-, low 4.6-second range. If he proves those projections accurate, Lacy will garner attention in the bottom third of the round, not unlike Ingram and Steven Jackson, who was the top back drafted out of Oregon State (24th overall) in 2004 because of his height and upright running style.

Lacy (5-foot-11, 231 pounds) is more similar to Stephen Davis, the light-footed former Auburn running back with lateral agility who was strong enough to run through linebackers but could also dance in tight quarters to create his own lane.

He's an option for multiple teams in the top of the second round.

from Rotoworld:

Draft insider Tony Pauline notes that the frustration with Alabama RB Eddie Lacy's injury "is beginning to boil over."
"Scouts are questioning whether Lacy is too injured to run or just too slow," Pauline writes. Lacy missed the Combine and Alabama's Pro Day, scheduling a personal workout for April 11. We should start to hear more about his projection after that date.

Source: TFY Draft Insider

from Rotoworld:

Draft insider Tony Pauline notes that the frustration with Alabama RB Eddie Lacy's injury "is beginning to boil over."
"Scouts are questioning whether Lacy is too injured to run or just too slow," Pauline writes. Lacy missed the Combine and Alabama's Pro Day, scheduling a personal workout for April 11. We should start to hear more about his projection after that date.

Just too slow is my guess. He's actually smart not to workout before the draft. Let the few teams who believe the hype keep believing, leave them guessing if he knows he's going to run in the high 4.5's - low 4.6's.

from Rotoworld:

Just too slow is my guess. He's actually smart not to workout before the draft. Let the few teams who believe the hype keep believing, leave them guessing if he knows he's going to run in the high 4.5's - low 4.6's.
He is running though, and never suggested otherwise, so I don't understand where the conspiracy theory is coming from. And where do you hear that only a few teams are high on him? And 4.55-4.65 is a very solid time for a 230 pound back.

from Rotoworld:

It's starting to boil over...after he announces a date that he plans to workout on (which is only 10 days away)? Huh?

from Rotoworld:

It's starting to boil over...after he announces a date that he plans to workout on (which is only 10 days away)? Huh?
:thumbup: pauline missed the mark on this... or he doesn't understand what boiling over means. lol

from Rotoworld:

:thumbup: pauline missed the mark on this... or he doesn't understand what boiling over means. lol
Scheduled doesn't mean he's actually going to run, that's what is frustrating them.

from Rotoworld:

Scheduled doesn't mean he's actually going to run, that's what is frustrating them.
the report from ian rapoport who was one of the first to announce the new date indicated he would be running a 40 though.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/317362091898048513

@RapSheet 28 Mar

NFL teams have been informed Alabama RB Eddie Lacy will workout -- and run the 40 -- on April 11 in Tuscaloosa. Injury has healed

from Rotoworld:

the report from ian rapoport who was one of the first to announce the new date indicated he would be running a 40 though.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/317362091898048513

>@RapSheet 28 Mar

NFL teams have been informed Alabama RB Eddie Lacy will workout -- and run the 40 -- on April 11 in Tuscaloosa. Injury has healed
Even if he runs the scouts may believe he's not as injured as he claims and is just using the extra time to boost his 40. If he runs poorly he'll blame in on his hamstring.

Even if he runs the scouts may believe he's not as injured as he claims and is just using the extra time to boost his 40. If he runs poorly he'll blame in on his hamstring.
So they're ‘boiling over’ frustrated because IF he runs slow, he MIGHT claim it was a result of injury that he MIGHT have faked?

So they're ‘boiling over’ frustrated because IF he runs slow, he MIGHT claim it was a result of injury that he MIGHT have faked?
You seem hung up on the term 'boiled over'.

from Rotoworld:

Alabama RB Eddie Lacy struggled with stamina during his only pro day workout, according to NFL Network's Bucky Brooks.

"Lacy flashed outstanding talent as a rubber and receiver, but lack of stamina is definitely a concern," Brooks tweeted. "Struggled the entire workout with wind. The lack of conditioning exhibited today will lead some coaches and scouts to question his work ethic. Concerns must be addressed in (meetings)." Lacy posted unofficial forty times of 4.57 and 4.60, as well as recording a 32.5 inch vertical and 9-7 broad jump and clocked a 4.44 short shuttle. The hefty running back has been dealing with a partially torn hamstring throughout the process.

Source: Bucky Brooks on Twitter

Alabama's Eddie Lacy has mixed results at workout

By Kareem Copeland

Around the League Writer

Former Alabama running back Eddie Lacy didn't run at the NFL Scouting Combine or the Crimson Tide's pro day because of a hamstring injury. He worked out for scouts in Tuscaloosa, Ala., on Thursday with mixed results.

NFL.com's Bucky Brooks reported Lacy ran the 40-yard dash in 4.57 and 4.60 seconds. Lacy reportedly posted times of 4.58 and 4.62 at the Senior Bowl.

"Lacy flashed outstanding talent as a runner and receiver, but lack of stamina is definitely a concern," Bucky tweeted. "Struggled the entire workout w/wind.

"The lack of conditioning exhibited today will lead some coaches and scouts to question his work ethic. Concerns must be addressed in (meetings)."

The 40 time was expected, but there might be some concerns with him being out of shape. You'd think he's been working his hardest in the run up to the 2013 NFL Draft, but his conditioning could have taken a hit from not being able to run because of the hamstring injury.

When it comes to Lacy, his game tape will matter more than Thursday's workout. He was the best back in the country and ran for 1,322 yards and 17 touchdowns. He's the most complete, NFL-ready back in the draft. Lacy still likely will go late in the first round to a team with running back needs like the Pittsburgh Steelers, St. Louis Rams, Green Bay Packers or Denver Broncos.

Follow Kareem Copeland on Twitter @kareemcopeland.

2013 Pro Days: Alabama's Eddie Lacy clocked at 4.58-4.62

By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com
April 11, 2013 11:22 am ET

NFL scouts have been anxiously waiting to see whether Alabama running back Eddie Lacy would time faster than the 4.55-second estimate they'd given him based on tape.

He ran slightly slower Thursday, confirming he lacks the home-run speed some scouts believe is critical to warrant selection in the first round.
Representatives from the Senior Bowl tweeted that Lacy, 5-foot-11, 230 pounds, was clocked at 4.58 and 4.62-seconds in the 40-yard dash.
The time is respectable for a back of Lacy's size, but the rest of his workout wasn't ideal, either, according to former NFL scout Bucky Brooks, who tweeted that Lacy recorded a 32.5-inch vertical jump, a 9-7 broad jump, a 4.44-second short-shuttle and had a "disappointing" positional workout.
According to Brooks, Lacy appeared "out of shape" and "wasn't able to finish" the workout.
Lacy is NFLDraftScout.com's top-rated running back in the 2013 draft but isn't among my top 32 picks, and he's also a no-show in Dane Brugler's first-round projection. At least one running back has been selected in the first round of every NFL draft since 1963.
While Lacy's workout raises red flags about his conditioning, there is no question he possesses the talent to be a bell-cow back at the next level. Lacy is a powerful between-the-tackles runner who can knock defenders to the ground. He's also possesses very light feet and excellent balance, often slipping past would-be tacklers with a lethal spin move. Lacy is also a gifted receiver out of the backfield and has proven both alert and physical in pass protection, making it likely he'll be able to step in and contribute immediately as a rookie.
Lacy played well in spot duty over his first two seasons with the Crimson Tide and exploded in 2012. The junior ran for 1,322 yards on 204 carries (6.5 average) and 17 touchdowns, earning First Team All-SEC honors.
Scouts also like the fact that Lacy hasn't been worn down. He served as the backup behind Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson, each of whom, of course, wound up as first-round picks in the past two drafts.
Even with the less-than-stellar numbers, Lacy is likely to join his former teammates as the first running back selected in their respective draft classes.
While it may get lost in the hype of Lacy's numbers, the most important thing he may have proved Thursday was his health. A pulled hamstring kept him from participating at the combine or Alabama's previous Pro Day March 13.

A few other notable Alabama players also attended the workout. Right tackle D.J. Fluker weighed in at 337 pounds and posted a 27.5-inch vertical jump, according to the Senior Bowl. Tight end Michael Williams, safety Robert Lester and linebacker Nico Johnson were other former Crimson Tide standouts who mostly sat on their numbers from the combine but did positional workouts.

Does it now?
Not at all. He ran a very solid couple of 40's. Haven't heard any reports saying anything negative about the time. Clearly what people expected.
Although some people obviously had higher expectations. http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=676021#entry15264077
Cute, but you should have read on:

"Just my opinion, and I certainly know much less than Pioli, but he looks like he is closer to a 4.55 or 4.6 guy from what I have seen."

Does it now?
Not at all. He ran a very solid couple of 40's. Haven't heard any reports saying anything negative about the time. Clearly what people expected.
Although some people obviously had higher expectations. http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=676021#entry15264077
Cute, but you should have read on:

"Just my opinion, and I certainly know much less than Pioli, but he looks like he is closer to a 4.55 or 4.6 guy from what I have seen."
Is bengalbuck your aliase?

I am with most of the posters on this board. He's not just a guy but he is not an elite talent I will be trading my entire draft for pick 1.1 either. He should go there in most scoring formats but that is all I would commit to.

If I can I would be moving down in this draft and picking guys who end up in favorable situations.

I think the NFL draft is going to have a lot of picks traded jockeying up and down. I am thinking at least 3 trades in the top ten with teams chasing the top 3 tackles and Jordan or Ansah. I just don't see Lacy being the kind of player a team will reach for early to make sure they get him.

As far as his workout. 4.57-4.62 at a pro day...does that mean he is really a 4.65-4.7 guy? Recovering from a hamstring may excuse some of that, like in Allen's case running slower following an injury can be expected. I guess my issue with Lacy is running over guys is easier in college than in the pros. Breaking those tackles won't be easy in the NFL.

Bottom line for me is he doesn't seem to be a can't miss prospect but in the right situation he could do very well.

Over the last 10 drafts, there have been 29 RBs drafted in the first round. Of those, 27 ran the 40 at either the combine or pro day. I calculated all of their speed scores using the weight and 40 numbers from NFL Draft Scout (which had Lacy at 231 and 4.58). Of the 27 backs, only 3 had a lower speed score: Chris Perry (2004), Cedric Benson (2005), and Mark Ingram (2011). This is just one metric, but it does seem to really emphasize Lacys lack of elite athleticism. Just some food for thought. Im not saying Lacy cant be good, but id really hesitate on using a first round pick on him.

Over the last 10 drafts, there have been 29 RBs drafted in the first round. Of those, 27 ran the 40 at either the combine or pro day. I calculated all of their speed scores using the weight and 40 numbers from NFL Draft Scout (which had Lacy at 231 and 4.58). Of the 27 backs, only 3 had a lower speed score: Chris Perry (2004), Cedric Benson (2005), and Mark Ingram (2011). This is just one metric, but it does seem to really emphasize Lacys lack of elite athleticism. Just some food for thought. Im not saying Lacy cant be good, but id really hesitate on using a first round pick on him.
How many of those guys were coming off of injury with crappy cardio? None of his numbers are accurate. How could they be?The only question in my mind is, is this a sign of poor work ethic, or a sign that he shouldn't have had the workout when he obviously wasn't ready?Brooks says poor work ethic, possibly. I don't see a single reason to jump to that conclusion.

Users who are viewing this thread