What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone not like Eddie Lacy? (1 Viewer)

Eddie Lacy stock is Down after today. He just lost millions for poor work ethic. What a DISASTER!!!

As a fan, and owner of the 1.01 who was looking forward to drafting him, after watching NFLN...I'm starting to worry. I am going to wait and see what Lacy's people have to say, and the NFL draft will decide everything. But the hamstring thing doesn't seem to be flying with many people.

As a fan, and owner of the 1.01 who was looking forward to drafting him, after watching NFLN...I'm starting to worry. I am going to wait and see what Lacy's people have to say, and the NFL draft will decide everything. But the hamstring thing doesn't seem to be flying with many people.
Probably because it's obvious to people watching tape and using logic....that Lacy isn't particularly athletic (relative to NFL-caliber starting RBs), he expected to run a slow 40, and he used the hamstring as a potential excuse for the impending slow 40. Lacy played on a great offense with a superb offensive line. When I watch the tape, I see a RB who has power but not explosiveness. And the numbers back that up.

Video Links:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap2000000159060/Eddie-Lacy-disappoints-at-Alabama-pro-day

Eddie Lacy disappoints at Alabama pro day

03:35 – Bucky Brooks explains why Alabama running back Eddie Lacy's pro day performance has raised concerns about his preparedness and work ethic.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-player-interviews/0ap2000000159061/Eddie-Lacy-1-on-1

Eddie Lacy 1-on-1

01:34 – Alabama RB Eddie Lacy talks with Bucky Brooks answering questions about his pro day workout and what preparations he's making leading up to the NFL draft.

Probably because it's obvious to people watching tape and using logic....that Lacy isn't particularly athletic (relative to NFL-caliber starting RBs), he expected to run a slow 40, and he used the hamstring as a potential excuse for the impending slow 40. Lacy played on a great offense with a superb offensive line. When I watch the tape, I see a RB who has power but not explosiveness. And the numbers back that up.
If i owned the 1.01, I would be paying extremely close attention but wouldn't yet be in a panic. I love the conspiracy theory angle that the hamstring was a ruse and his excuse for what most consider to be a solid 40 for a back his size. Guess what? Lacy didn't skip the combine. He was medically checked you know. Think if his hamstring looked golden that it wouldn't have been news that we would've heard plenty about by now?

Video Links:

Eddie Lacy disappoints at Alabama pro day
03:35 – Bucky Brooks explains why Alabama running back Eddie Lacy's pro day performance has raised concerns about his preparedness and work ethic.
Eddie Lacy 1-on-1
>01:34 – Alabama RB Eddie Lacy talks with Bucky Brooks answering questions about his pro day workout and what preparations he's making leading up to the NFL draft.
Ouch, did he say, to explain the fatigue, that he would have done better if he ate more for breakfast?

The 1.1 last year vs this year. Wow.I'd take the 1.5 last year over this year.
You could have built a dominant fantasy team with the first round picks from last year. This year I'm not sure I can guarantee one player will make the Pro Bowl.

Over the last 10 drafts, there have been 29 RBs drafted in the first round. Of those, 27 ran the 40 at either the combine or pro day. I calculated all of their speed scores using the weight and 40 numbers from NFL Draft Scout (which had Lacy at 231 and 4.58). Of the 27 backs, only 3 had a lower speed score: Chris Perry (2004), Cedric Benson (2005), and Mark Ingram (2011). This is just one metric, but it does seem to really emphasize Lacys lack of elite athleticism. Just some food for thought. Im not saying Lacy cant be good, but id really hesitate on using a first round pick on him.
How many of those guys were coming off of injury with crappy cardio? None of his numbers are accurate. How could they be?The only question in my mind is, is this a sign of poor work ethic, or a sign that he shouldn't have had the workout when he obviously wasn't ready?Brooks says poor work ethic, possibly. I don't see a single reason to jump to that conclusion.
There are ways to stay in shape without running (swimming, lifting, etc). If he did not look into all his options before the biggest workout thusfar of his life, id say that calls his work ethic into question. And to be honest, you dont have to be that well conditioned to run 40 yards in a straight line, so i doubt his stamina affected his time anymore than it may have been helped by being at a pro day and not the nfl combine.

Alex P Keaton said:
Probably because it's obvious to people watching tape and using logic....that Lacy isn't particularly athletic (relative to NFL-caliber starting RBs), he expected to run a slow 40, and he used the hamstring as a potential excuse for the impending slow 40.

Lacy played on a great offense with a superb offensive line. When I watch the tape, I see a RB who has power but not explosiveness. And the numbers back that up.
This is where I'm ending up too after updating Lacy's profile and tinkering around with comps. Assuming yesterday is a fair indication of his true athleticism I'd lean towards a Cedric Benson or Travis Henry type talent rather than an elite back.

Alex P Keaton said:
Concept Coop said:
Probably because it's obvious to people watching tape and using logic....that Lacy isn't particularly athletic (relative to NFL-caliber starting RBs), he expected to run a slow 40, and he used the hamstring as a potential excuse for the impending slow 40.

Lacy played on a great offense with a superb offensive line. When I watch the tape, I see a RB who has power but not explosiveness. And the numbers back that up.
Greg Cosell who watches plenty of tape, called Lacy a top 5 underclassmen in a class with the most ever. The guy whose Twitter feed has been bashing Lacy – former scout- called him a 1st round prospect who the game comes easy to. There is plenty to like with Lacy, and yes, a guy as big and strong as him being as agile as he is, is an athletic specimen.

I have no questions about him as a player. Not to say he’s perfect, but I think he is a very good RB prospect. I only question the work ethic now. I didn’t initially, but some very rational people, at a big level, are questioning it.

Chachi said:
The 1.1 last year vs this year. Wow.I'd take the 1.5 last year over this year.
I think this was the general concencus long before this. David Wilson, Andrew Luck, Michael Floyd and/or RGIII were there at that pick - most would take any of those players (except for probably Floyd) at 1.01 this year.

Prior to his poor workout yesterday here are a few other comparisons that were out there on Lacy: NFL.com Player Profile Page: NFL Comparison: Frank Gore Jeff Reynolds, The Sports Xchange: Scouts estimate Lacy's speed is in the high 4.5-, low 4.6-second range. If he proves those projections accurate, Lacy will garner attention in the bottom third of the round, not unlike Ingram and Steven Jackson, who was the top back drafted out of Oregon State (24th overall) in 2004 because of his height and upright running style. Lacy (5-foot-11, 231 pounds) is more similar to Stephen Davis, the light-footed former Auburn running back with lateral agility who was strong enough to run through linebackers but could also dance in tight quarters to create his own lane. He's an option for multiple teams in the top of the second round. Rob Rang and NFLDraftScout.com Lacy projects as a starting running back in the NFL, similar to a more agile Michael Bush-type. COMPARES TO: Michael Bush, RB, Chicago Bears - Both have the power to run over defenders while also possessing surprisingly fluid feed for their big frames.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ning-through-criticism-8h9kf8o-203862411.html

Alabama's Eddie Lacy running through criticism
By Tyler Dunne of the Journal Sentinel

Green Bay - Eddie Lacy is the one who's supposed to make everyone else tired. At Alabama, it's the weekly ritual.

Through the course of a game, running backs treat defenses as punching bags. Lacy enjoyed "pounding and pounding and pounding" away.

"And by the third quarter," he said, "they don't want it anymore. They're out there but they don't want to hit."

Yet at his pre-draft workout April 11, Lacy looked like those fatigued linebackers running on empty. At one point, the 5-foot-11, 231-pound back needed to step outside the Hank Crisp Indoor Facility to catch his breath. The workout raised immediate red flags. This was, essentially, Lacy's job interview. And he looked tired, out of shape.

On Friday, Lacy dismissed any doubts. With a strong aroma of confidence, Lacy said he is an every-down back, that he is the rare back who can carry the ball 15, 20, 25 times per game without tiring.

And at No. 26 overall, he does see the Packers as a good fit.

"Yeah, I think so," Lacy said. "They're very talented on offense and I feel like I'd be able to help out a lot if they picked me at that position."

This year's NFL draft lacks a premier, can't-miss prospect at the increasingly devalued running back position. The heartbeat of Alabama's blistering rushing attack, Lacy is as close as it gets. During his one year as the starter, he rushed for 1,322 yards on 204 carries (6.5 average) with 17 touchdowns - numbers that could've been higher if the Crimson Tide wasn't beating teams by three touchdowns every week.

He's a bruising workhorse who's also nimble and elusive. In the age of specialization, Lacy doesn't come off the field.

Yet a strained hamstring before the NFL scouting combine prevented Lacy from working out in front of scouts until mid-April. At which point, he appeared sluggish and unprepared according to multiple people in attendance.

Lacy reportedly ran the 40-yard dash in 4.57 and 4.60 seconds and wasn't able to finish the workout. Former NFL player/scout and current analyst Bucky Brooks wrote that "The lack of conditioning exhibited today will lead some coaches and scouts to question his work ethic."

Given the circumstances, Lacy says he was happy with his workout.

"By the time it was anywhere close to 100%, I only had two weeks to train," Lacy said. "Everybody knows that two weeks is not enough time, pretty much to do anything. I went out there, I did the best I could do and I got through everything, but there was really nothing I could do about it."

So the Packers have a decision to make. At running back, should they wait? History suggests they will. Ted Thompson has taken only three running backs with his 76 draft picks as the team's general manager --- and never in the first round. Green Bay may have its full cast of running backs back. This time, at full strength. And also, one NFC scout indicated there are potential starters available in the fourth-sixth rounds.

Yet back at Lucas Oil Stadium in February, coach Mike McCarthy did say he'd prefer a three-down back in 2013, a back who can get into a groove. In this year's draft, Lacy fits the description.

Multiple times, he called himself "the complete package."

"I don't want to say it's rare, but those only come around every once in a while," Lacy said. "You have guys who are fast and can get around the outside but they can't really get the tough yards. Then you have the bigger backs who can get those tough yards, but they're not agile enough to make a defender miss.

"I'm pretty much as complete as it gets."

At Alabama, running backs coach Burton Burns preaches to his backs to wear down the defense. At first, Lacy admits he didn't understand what that meant. In time, he did. When Alabama's obliteration of Notre Dame in the national championship game is mentioned, he laughs. Lacy tattooed Notre Dame for 140 yards on 20 carries with two touchdowns that night.

Against a Georgia defense stocked with pro prospects one month prior, he rolled to 181 yards and two scores.

On the big stage, he delivered. So that's his case to any criticism. Worried about the workout? Rewind to Dec. 1, 2012 or Jan. 7, 2013.

If the Packers draft him to carry the ball 20, 25 times a game, Lacy says he's ready.

"If I was to end up in Green Bay, yeah, I could do that," he said. "I wouldn't have any problem doing that."

On Friday, Lacy dismissed any doubts. With a strong aroma of confidence, Lacy said he is an every-down back, that he is the rare back who can carry the ball 15, 20, 25 times per game without tiring.
That's easy to say but he's always been in RBBC and has never had more than 20 carries in a game.

People have Lacy going in the second round but, as I Viking fan, I will be happy if Green Bay doesn't take him in the first. I know that Green Bay wants to shore upn their run defense but with a late pick I doubt they find a difference maker like Lacy there. He would make that dangerous offense even more dangerous.

That's easy to say but he's always been in RBBC and has never had more than 20 carries in a game.
How important is it for an RB to get over 20 carries a game? Looking back this past year there are only a select few running backs who consistently went over 20 carries a game each game. Lacy's old running mate Richardson only did it 4 games last season and Ray Rice only 3 games. I don't see how this is all that concerning. What Lacy did with his opportunities is more important to me... and that's dominate the opposition. :football:ETA: That's just ignoring the fact that when Bama was up 30+ on it's opponents this past year, they turned to Yeldon to finish out the game, which makes sense. They did that with Lacy too in previous years.

from Rotoworld:

Draft insider Tony Pauline has been told a number of teams prefer UCLA RB Johnathan Franklin over Alabama RB Eddie Lacy.
This isn't a surprise. The make up of team's boards varies dramatically, and Franklin has excelled in the pre-draft process while Lacy has limped through it. The two have different styles, with Lacy winning with breaking first contact and Franklin using great vision to find home run lanes. Both could be early second-rounders.

Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter

Prior to his poor workout yesterday here are a few other comparisons that were out there on Lacy: NFL.com Player Profile Page: NFL Comparison: Frank Gore Jeff Reynolds, The Sports Xchange: Scouts estimate Lacy's speed is in the high 4.5-, low 4.6-second range. If he proves those projections accurate, Lacy will garner attention in the bottom third of the round, not unlike Ingram and Steven Jackson, who was the top back drafted out of Oregon State (24th overall) in 2004 because of his height and upright running style. Lacy (5-foot-11, 231 pounds) is more similar to Stephen Davis, the light-footed former Auburn running back with lateral agility who was strong enough to run through linebackers but could also dance in tight quarters to create his own lane. He's an option for multiple teams in the top of the second round. Rob Rang and NFLDraftScout.com Lacy projects as a starting running back in the NFL, similar to a more agile Michael Bush-type. COMPARES TO: Michael Bush, RB, Chicago Bears - Both have the power to run over defenders while also possessing surprisingly fluid feed for their big frames.
While I normally like Rob Rang quite a bit I hate his comparison of Lacy to Bush. I see a lot more wiggle in Lacy's game than I have ever seen from Bush at either level.

How important is it for an RB to get over 20 carries a game? Looking back this past year there are only a select few running backs who consistently went over 20 carries a game each game. Lacy's old running mate Richardson only did it 4 games last season and Ray Rice only 3 games. I don't see how this is all that concerning. What Lacy did with his opportunities is more important to me... and that's dominate the opposition. :football:ETA: That's just ignoring the fact that when Bama was up 30+ on it's opponents this past year, they turned to Yeldon to finish out the game, which makes sense. They did that with Lacy too in previous years.
Lacy got weaker as the game went on (by quarter - 7.3, 7.1, 5.2, 4.7 YPC). He had 137 carries in the 1st half (7.0 YPC) and 67 in the 2nd half (5.0 YPC).

Yeldon had 100 carries in the 1st half (6.0 YPC) and 75 in the 2nd half (6.8 YPC). His splits by quarter were 5.0, 6.8, 7.1, 6.2.

For reference, Richardson's quarter splits in 2011 were 4.4, 5.1, 6.9, 7.8.

Lacy got weaker as the game went on (by quarter - 7.3, 7.1, 5.2, 4.7 YPC). He had 137 carries in the 1st half (7.0 YPC) and 67 in the 2nd half (5.0 YPC).

Yeldon had 100 carries in the 1st half (6.0 YPC) and 75 in the 2nd half (6.8 YPC). His splits by quarter were 5.0, 6.8, 7.1, 6.2.

Lacy has the highest career YPC in SEC history. Ever. Higher than Yeldon, higher than Trent, higher than Bo, higher than Herschel. I think we're reaching if we're trying to find something wrong with his YPC splits. Especially when the large majority of his 5YPC 2nd half was garbage time.

Lacy has the highest career YPC in SEC history. Ever. Higher than Yeldon, higher than Trent, higher than Bo, higher than Herschel. I think we're reaching if we're trying to find something wrong with his YPC splits. Especially when the large majority of his 5YPC 2nd half was garbage time.
Yes but this is not about his YPC as whole. It's about his YPC split and I do find it relevant myself that he declines with increased usage, especially relevant when you consider there now exist question marks by at least some people regarding his level of conditioning.

Yes but this is not about his YPC as whole. It's about his YPC split and I do find it relevant myself that he declines with increased usage, especially relevant when you consider there now exist question marks by at least some people regarding his level of conditioning.
If you think he wore down with usage, can anyone give me a game I can check out? Using a small sample size without any context isn't going to get us anywhere. If Bama is blowing teams out, then simply grinding out the games in the 2nd half - that matters.

i guess it wasn't yeldon they went to in the 4th then. it was hart and drake, my mistake.

Can we get splits? I mean, if Clemson had a healthy lead at the half it would make sense for his average to dip (selling out to the run, knowing Clemson isn't passing).

im thinking he should not have even had a pro-day workout might have cost him some money.
I thought so at first, too. But I keep hearing things like this:

"Lacy is too good a runner to slip out of the top 32. NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock agrees, predicting the Green Bay Packers will select Lacy with the 26th overall pick."

im thinking he should not have even had a pro-day workout might have cost him some money.

"Lacy is too good a runner to slip out of the top 32. NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock agrees, predicting the Green Bay Packers will select Lacy with the 26th overall pick."
I think his name gets called tonight. I would be absolutely giddy if the Packers take him, as a Lacy owner in a league and a Packer fan!!

I think his name gets called tonight. I would be absolutely giddy if the Packers take him, as a Lacy owner in a league and a Packer fan!!
At this point, I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't go tonight. Kiper, McShay, Mayock all predict it and seem certain about it.

After the workout, when a lot were throwing Lacy out of the first round, those 3 guys never budged. Now others seem to be coming back around to their thinking. When ESPN was interviewing Lacy, they asked if he had met with the Packers, who Kiper had him mocked to. Lacy said no. The interviewer acted surprised and went back to Mel, who wasn’t surprised and didn’t budge – gave a smirk and said, “Look, it’s pick 26”. I took that to mean the Packers are taking if he’s there, but he might not be. Mel’s as connected to teams/agent sources as it gets. Now Mayock saying the same thing, and Lacy says he is in contact with a few teams who like him, but won’t give out their names out of respect for said teams, likely told to say such by his agent. I think there is at least 1 team very sold on Lacy in the first. I'd have to guess Packers, at this point.

At this point, I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't go tonight. Kiper, McShay, Mayock all predict it and seem certain about it.

After the workout, when a lot were throwing Lacy out of the first round, those 3 guys never budged. Now others seem to be coming back around to their thinking. When ESPN was interviewing Lacy, they asked if he had met with the Packers, who Kiper had him mocked to. Lacy said no. The interviewer acted surprised and went back to Mel, who wasn’t surprised and didn’t budge – gave a smirk and said, “Look, it’s pick 26”. I took that to mean the Packers are taking if he’s there, but he might not be. Mel’s as connected to teams/agent sources as it gets. Now Mayock saying the same thing, and Lacy says he is in contact with a few teams who like him, but won’t give out their names out of respect for said teams, likely told to say such by his agent. I think there is at least 1 team very sold on Lacy in the first. I'd have to guess Packers, at this point.
Packers, Bengals, or Steelers.

Fisher also has a history of investing high picks in RB's, and if the Rams can't move back from 22 I wouldn't be shocked to see it.

Fisher also has a history of investing high picks in RB's, and if the Rams can't move back from 22 I wouldn't be shocked to see it.
Agree. I'd add Denver, too.

The Packers haven't taken a RB in the 1st in 23 years, don't think they break that streak today.

I just don't see Lacy for the Packers. There are a plethora of viable RB options in rounds 2/3 that can do enough to keep the defense honest enough to give Rodgers time. The Pack will be taking a lineman in the the first and probably second as well. Perhaps in the 3rd they will look at whatever RB falls, like a Jon Franklin (love him) or Ball, or Bell. Maybe they'll even move up to the lower second to grab one of those guys. That's my prediction for the first couple of rounds.

Honestly would not like Lacy for the Pack for either fantasy or the team. The greater need is bigger guys on both lines. Lacy would be great in a Rams type situation where he's going to be leaned on regularly, but one RB is just never going get 20-25 touches in the Packers offense. McCarthy has stated numerous times that he doesn't like to do that because they get worn down for the playoffs. So why take a guy like that where you're not going to use him for his strengths? Makes no sense. Grab a Bell that can pound the rock and still pass defend and only spend a low 2nd on him, while improving one of the lines significantly with a first round talent.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000164080/article/eddie-lacy-expected-to-go-early-in-second-round

By Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

For the first time in 49 years on Thursday night, no running back was chosen in the first round of the NFL draft.

That dry spell won't last long into Friday, with NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reporting that Alabama's Eddie Lacy is likely to be chosen in the first six or seven picks of Round 2.

Rapoport noted that the Arizona Cardinals at No. 38 "really like" Lacy for his power and slashing ability, but the Cardinals might have competition for his services.

The Cincinnati Bengals, at No. 37, also need help in the backfield and are on the hunt for a complimentary back for BenJarvus Green-Ellis, according to RapSheet. Despite his disappointing pro day, Lacy would give the Bengals' offense another weapon on the heels of drafting pass-catching tight end Tyler Eifert.

Backs have seen their stock drop in recent seasons, but we have Lacy as the best player available heading into Round 2. Draft analyst Mike Mayock listed Lacy as the 18th best prospect before Round 1, so this is no charity case.

Behind him, North Carolina's Giovani Bernard, Wisconsin's Montee Ball and South Carolina's Marcus Lattimore are additional names still available. Heck, everyone's still available.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

How's that working out for you?

I thought the Packers made the right choice. I trust in Ted.

ETA: I appreciate your concern though. Thank you so much.

I thought the Packers made the right choice. I trust in Ted.

ETA: I appreciate your concern though. Thank you so much.
im just messing with you. Lacy should go quick tonight and the Packers could get him or another back.

im just messing with you. Lacy should go quick tonight and the Packers could get him or another back.
I don't see the Packers moving up to get him so unless the Bengals pass on him twice and the Steelers once. We'll see.

As a Packer fan I'd be happy with Franklin, Bell, or Ball too.

Apparently it is important.

Users who are viewing this thread