What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 Free Agency news thread (1 Viewer)

GregR

Footballguy
The "legal tampering" period where teams can negotiate with other teams starts the 9th, so we should start hearing about agreements reached this weekend. Plus some players are still re-signing with their current teams or being cut, and that will escalate as the 9th approaches, so figured a thread would be worthwhile.

Please post any breaking news, and the source, with a link if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bironas re-signs 2 years with the Titans.

Jim Wyatt Jim Wyatt ‏@jwyattsportsThe two sides had been closing in on a deal in recent days. No official announcement made by team, but #Titans and Bironas agreed to termsJim Wyatt ‏@jwyattsportsThe deal for Bironas is for two years

Matt Moore resigns with Dolphins.

Another laughable note:

Jets are interested in Brady Quinn! LOL! That'll fix their QB troubles!

Figured this was as good a place as any for this. From CBS:

NFL threatens teams: No agreements until free agency starts

By Jason La Canfora | CBS Sports NFL Insider

March 8, 2013 9:23 pm ET

The NFL sent teams a new communication Friday that has threatened potential tampering investigations should teams enter into an agreement with a free agent of any sort prior to the start of the league year on Tuesday.

For the first time the NFL opened a negotiating window, beginning at midnight, where teams could negotiate with free agents from other teams, but not bring them in for a visit or speak directly to the player. With this window unprecedented, agents and teams were unsure how quickly deals might be, in essence, agreed to quickly.

This memo seems intent on putting a chill on any of that -- and makes explicit that even agreeing in principle to a contract that would be contingent on a physical next week would be prohibited. It came as a surprise to many execs and agents and has created quite a stir as to how to proceed with contact.

It's also struck many as odd, given that the creation of this negotiating window seemed designed to curtail tampering and create a climate where deals could be effectively struck but not fully consummated.

Here's the full memo:

PP-28-13

TO: General Managers

Head Coaches

Player Personnel Directors

DATE: March 8, 2013

SUBJECT: Impermissible Activity During the Three-day Negotiating Period for Unrestricted Free Agents

Clubs were advised in PP-26-13 that during the three-day negotiating period for prospective Unrestricted Free Agents, they are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with, the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2012 Player Contracts at 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 12, and that no contract can be executed with a new club until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 12.

Clubs are further advised that prior to the beginning of the new League Year it is impermissible for a club to enter into an agreement of any kind, express or implied, oral or written, or promises, undertakings, representations, commitments, inducements, assurances of intent or understandings of any kind concerning the terms or conditions of employment offered to, or to be offered to, any prospective Unrestricted Free Agent for inclusion in a Player Contract after the start of the new League Year. Any announcement of an agreement or an agreement in principle by a club or another party, including, but not limited to, a certified agent, player, or media organization may subject the club to a tampering investigation.

Please contact the Player Personnel department if you have any questions

Negotiations between the Giants and OT Kevin Boothe have stalled.

The Giants are only offering LB Chase Blackburn the veteran minimum.

The Titans are interested in both TE Martellus Bennett and DE Michael Bennett.

The Bills are also interested in TE Martellus Bennett and they have contacted his agent.

The Chiefs have contacted the agents for RB Ahmad Bradshaw and RB Michael Turner.

The Giants have contacted the agent for CB Aqib Talib.

The Titans have contacted the agents for DE Osi Umenyiora and DE John Abraham.

The Jets top priority is re-signing DT Mike DeVito.

The Jets have re-signed LB Josh Mauga.

The Broncos are going to cut LB DJ Williams.

The reps for Jets CB Darrelle Revis want his situation resolved as soon as possible.

The Broncos have confirmed that they are interested in CB Darrelle Revis.

The Broncos are also interested in CB Sean Smith.

The Panthers have asked OT Jordan Gross to take a pay cut.

The Redskins have re-signed OG Kory Lichtensteiger.

DE John Abraham has finished his visits with the 49ers and Seahawks and has left without a deal.

The Buccaneers are trying to set up a visit with DE John Abraham.

The 49ers have contacted the agent for S Louis Delmas.

WR Percy Harvin will request a trade.

The Dolphins have contacted the agents for RB Cedric Benson and RB Rashard Mendenhall.

The Redskins have re-signed LB Rob Jackson.

The Bears are interested in OT Jermon Bushrod and they have contacted his agent.

Browns have contacted the agents for DE Paul Kruger and LB Dannell Ellerbe.

The Steelers, Bills and Colts have also contacted the agent for DE Paul Kruger.

The Colts are very interested in OG Louis Vazquez.

I'm sure the Bears are interested in Bushrod, just like they are interested in Tom Brady and Adrian Peterson.

Leaders for Reggie Bush Mon Mar 11, 09:29 AM The Denver Broncos are rumored to be the leaders to sign free-agent RB Reggie Bush (Dolphins).
I wonder how much of whats being reported are smoke screens?

Leaders for Reggie Bush Mon Mar 11, 09:29 AM The Denver Broncos are rumored to be the leaders to sign free-agent RB Reggie Bush (Dolphins).
True, but I think Broncos/Lions are the best fits. Leshoure/McGahee could be the short yardage/GL guys, with Bush doing a lot of the other stuff. Imagine the matchup issues with DT/Decker/Bush or Calvin/Pettigrew/Bush.

True, but I think Broncos/Lions are the best fits. Leshoure/McGahee could be the short yardage/GL guys, with Bush doing a lot of the other stuff. Imagine the matchup issues with DT/Decker/Bush or Calvin/Pettigrew/Bush.
I think this would lean DEN's way. Not sure how much $ DET is going to spread to a non critical position w/ their own cap and defensive needs.

I don't know, but Denver would be a damn good landing spot for either Mendenhall or Bush if you happen to own them. Willis McGahee was a borderline RB1 in that offense last year until he got hurt.

I don't know, but Denver would be a damn good landing spot for either Mendenhall or Bush if you happen to own them. Willis McGahee was a borderline RB1 in that offense last year until he got hurt.
Oh yeah, for sure.

Broncos after Mendenhall?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000149253/article/rashard-mendenhall-reportedly-has-broncos-interest

The Denver Broncos have Willis McGahee under contract for the 2013 season. What they don't have is a guarantee McGahee still can carry the load at 31 and coming off another serious leg injury.

With that in mind, The Denver Post reported Sunday that the Broncos have interest in free-agent running back Rashard Mendenhall.

Free-agent tracker

Where will Mike Wallace wind up? Follow him and all the other NFL players on the move in our free-agent tracker. More ...

The Broncos reportedly are on the hunt for a physical tailback, a mold that Mendenhall fits. Mendenhall represents one of the more intriguing players on the open market. Still just 25, he could prove to be a steal if he makes it all the way back from reconstructive knee surgery.

Rams & Bears talking Jake Long:

High interest in Jake Long Mon Mar 11, 10:39 AM

The St. Louis Rams are one of the teams most interested in free-agent OT Jake Long (Dolphins).

Link to story

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bears | High interest in Jake Long Mon Mar 11, 10:35 AM

The Chicago Bears are one of the teams most interested in free-agent OT Jake Long (Dolphins).

if Martellus Bennett leaves NYG, does this imply that they're interested in Tyler Eifert in the first round?http://www.bigblueview.com/2013-nfl-draft/2013/3/8/4078514/2013-nfl-mock-draft-pat-kirwan-mocks-tyler-eifert-to-new-york-giants
I doubt it. They'd probably draft O-line or defense. Rumors are if Bennett isn't resigned they are interested in Anthony Fasano. Seems there are several TE's available in FA that could fit the Giants system.

'bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Rams & Bears talking Jake Long:High interest in Jake Long Mon Mar 11, 10:39 AM The St. Louis Rams are one of the teams most interested in free-agent OT Jake Long (Dolphins).Link to story-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Bears | High interest in Jake Long Mon Mar 11, 10:35 AM The Chicago Bears are one of the teams most interested in free-agent OT Jake Long (Dolphins).
These rumors about Bears and Long or Bushrod are bogus. They have no money and little way of creating more space. It's not happening.

'bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
90.9% smoke screens

I find it hard to believe that the Broncos would take Bush and stunt any development of Hillman - they need to find out if he can play next year and if they bring in Bush for the money he's expecting they won't have enough room/plays to find out.

I can see a between the tackles runner getting a mid level type of deal - Mendenhall, etc

I find it hard to believe that the Broncos would take Bush and stunt any development of Hillman - they need to find out if he can play next year and if they bring in Bush for the money he's expecting they won't have enough room/plays to find out.I can see a between the tackles runner getting a mid level type of deal - Mendenhall, etc
The Broncos are in a 2-3 year window. I doubt they care too much about Ronnie Hillman's development. They want the best back to help them win now.

Antoine Winfield getting cut by the Vikes probably qualifies. He should get a lot of interest on the open market.

Sources tell ESPN.com that the Bengals and Steelers are showing interest in free agent Beanie Wells.

About as good as it could get for Beanie (and FF owners) there.

Users who are viewing this thread