What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chris Ivory (1 Viewer)

RavenLunatic

Footballguy
Looks like now that the saints have put a second round tender on Ivory that he will stay a Saint for one more year.

Will be interesting to see if they keep Thomas also.

Seems very unlikely they will get rid of this season but if you like holding potential break out players, this is your guy to hold for next year when he becomes a FA. Mark Ingram looked better last year and seems to be getting his barrings so I definitely expect them to move Ivory next offseason.

Seems very unlikely they will get rid of this season but if you like holding potential break out players, this is your guy to hold for next year when he becomes a FA. Mark Ingram looked better last year and seems to be getting his barrings so I definitely expect them to move Ivory next offseason.
If they don't have any future plans for him, I really don't understand why they wouldn't make a trade now, get a pick for him, and then use one of their picks on a back in the draft. It would be a later-round pick, so they wouldn't have to pay the rookie nearly as much as they'll be paying Ivory. Keeping Ivory only makes sense to me if they get rid of Thomas.I feel bad for him (as bad as you can feel for a 25 year old that's going to make $2 million to play a game that I love), because he has run very well for them. He has done what they've asked of him, he runs like a beast, so they don't want to let him go, yet they don't give him a shot, either.

If they don't have any future plans for him, I really don't understand why they wouldn't make a trade now, get a pick for him, and then use one of their picks on a back in the draft. It would be a later-round pick, so they wouldn't have to pay the rookie nearly as much as they'll be paying Ivory. Keeping Ivory only makes sense to me if they get rid of Thomas.I feel bad for him (as bad as you can feel for a 25 year old that's going to make $2 million to play a game that I love), because he has run very well for them. He has done what they've asked of him, he runs like a beast, so they don't want to let him go, yet they don't give him a shot, either.
I expected them to do this. A lower tender would have given them nothing if he left. The benefits for the Saints is they get to see if he can stay healthy so they can re-sign him next or they might get lucky and have someone give a 2nd for him. Sproles is 30 and Thomas turns 29 at the end of the year so they need to figure out what to do at RB in the long-term. The biggest statement this makes is how they feel about Ingram. Unless he develops I don't think they have any intention on signing him after his contract is up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I expected them to do this. A lower tender would have given them nothing if he left. The benefits for the Saints is they get to see if he can stay healthy so they can re-sign him next or they might get lucky and have someone give a 2nd for him. Sproles is 30 and Thomas turns 29 at the end of the year so they need to figure out what to do at RB in the long-term. The biggest statement this makes is how they feel about Ingram. Unless he develops I don't think they have any intention on signing him after his contract is up.
Reach much??? You reach any further you may pull something. I can see how you could guess this may be one of the possible reasons for he Ivory tender, but Im pretty sure there are many more probable reasons. Will they release Thomas? They think they can trade Ivory? They are concerned about the age of Sproles and Thomas?To say "the biggest statement this makes" is a bit of a reach dont you think?

Reach much??? You reach any further you may pull something. I can see how you could guess this may be one of the possible reasons for he Ivory tender, but Im pretty sure there are many more probable reasons. Will they release Thomas? They think they can trade Ivory? They are concerned about the age of Sproles and Thomas?To say "the biggest statement this makes" is a bit of a reach dont you think?
Perhaps it's a reach but it's not a good sign is it? I also thought they may cut Thomas, which if that happens is much better for Ingram. All I'm saying is you can't ignore the fact that they re-signed a RB very similar to Ingram when they are already deep at the position.

I expected them to do this. A lower tender would have given them nothing if he left. The benefits for the Saints is they get to see if he can stay healthy so they can re-sign him next or they might get lucky and have someone give a 2nd for him.
The Saints have a LOT of cash wrapped up in their running backs, are over the cap currently, and need to rebuild their defense with the scheme shift to a 3-4. I'm utterly shocked they tendered their current fourth string running back for $2 million given those things. Seemed it'd be likely that they'd tender him at level 2 (original round draft pick) and receive nothing in return despite the fact they wanted something in return. It seemed they were strapped. This doesn't make sense unless they're going to release a back or actually use Ivory next season.Maybe they're looking to get something for Ivory and will trade him for a lower pick, but I'm not sure many teams are going to be willing to deal a pick (even if it's a 4th) to sign a guy for $2 million. A team could easily draft a RB with a 4th (or even a third or second) and pay the back a fraction of that for several years. Seems unlikely this happens.I just don't get it.

Perhaps it's a reach but it's not a good sign is it? I also thought they may cut Thomas, which if that happens is much better for Ingram. All I'm saying is you can't ignore the fact that they re-signed a RB very similar to Ingram when they are already deep at the position.
I would say it isnt a good sign, but we have to wait and see before we know if it is a bad sign for Ingram. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I have a hunch they were worried Ivory would be signed by Atlanta and didnt want a rival to have him. Of course this could result in Atlanta getting Jackson, so if my hunch is right I'm not sure it ends up making sense for NO.

Jets are sniffing around. I wonder if we might get a deal. We should know soon enough. A 4th rounder would have to get things done right?

Chris Ivory - RB - Saints
Restricted free agent RB Chris Ivory visited the Jets on Friday.
Ivory was tendered at the second-round level, so the Jets would have to surrender the No. 39 overall pick to sign him. It's hard to see rookie GM John Idzik giving up picks -- especially a high one -- when his squad is short on talent and low on picks. We suppose he could give up the selection if Darrelle Revis nets the Jets an early-round pick in the 2013 draft from the Bucs, but a trade would have to be worked out by the April 19 RFA deadline. Ivory would be an early-down bruiser to pair with speed back Mike Goodson. The 25-year-old has averaged 5.1 YPC on 256 career totes. He's far underutilized in New Orleans.
Related: Jets

Source: Howard Balzer on Twitter

Jets are sniffing around. I wonder if we might get a deal. We should know soon enough. A 4th rounder would have to get things done right?

Ivory was tendered at the second-round level, so the Jets would have to surrender the No. 39 overall pick to sign him. It's hard to see rookie GM John Idzik giving up picks -- especially a high one -- when his squad is short on talent and low on picks. We suppose he could give up the selection if Darrelle Revis nets the Jets an early-round pick in the 2013 draft from the Bucs, but a trade would have to be worked out by the April 19 RFA deadline. Ivory would be an early-down bruiser to pair with speed back Mike Goodson. The 25-year-old has averaged 5.1 YPC on 256 career totes. He's far underutilized in New Orleans.

It's a second round tender, so the Jets would have to part with their 2nd round pick, 39 overall, as stated in the report. I honestly don't see why Ivory isn't getting more looks. I would think that it would be more logical to swap a 2nd rounder for Ivory then spend a 1st on Lacy if you're a team like Denver or Green Bay

I would imagine its because of his injury history. Does anyone know if it has to be a 2nd rounder, or if the Saints agree to take a 3rd or 4th rounder for him then they can do the deal on that basis?

Is the tender overrideable...if that's even a word?

It's a second round tender, so the Jets would have to part with their 2nd round pick, 39 overall, as stated in the report. I honestly don't see why Ivory isn't getting more looks. I would think that it would be more logical to swap a 2nd rounder for Ivory then spend a 1st on Lacy if you're a team like Denver or Green Bay
I believe you can still trade a RFA; so the Jets could offer a 4th rounder for him.

Teams would be MUCH wiser to draft a 2nd rounder RB than sign Ivory. While he is talented, he has a long injury history and would cost a lot more than a controllable rookie.

All standard stuff you would expect most to say.

Saints are deep at RB, they would move Ivory for a 4th. Ivory is a talented back, he is capable of being a feature back. While he has been injured, he has always performed when given the chance. 256 carries, over 1300 yards and 8 scores. Thats a nice season if it were over a season span. Players get hurt, but giving up a 4th for a RB we know can do it as opposed to one we are not sure, is that not worth the gamble? Especially when many 4th rounders bust?

I disagree here. I believe much more in somebody who has shown he can do it at this level (when healthy)... Take the more proven commodity if u can...

I also don't believe u can trade RFAs because technically they are only RFAs until they are signed... Steelers could now trade Dwyer because he already signed his RFA tender and is under contract... Saints can't trade Ivory because he technically is still unsigned (even though he was offered a contract)

Until he signs his RFA tender he is still not able to be traded

I believe you can still trade a RFA; so the Jets could offer a 4th rounder for him.

Teams would be MUCH wiser to draft a 2nd rounder RB than sign Ivory. While he is talented, he has a long injury history and would cost a lot more than a controllable rookie.

Both the New York Daily News and ESPN New York report the Jets are not willing to surrender the No. 39 pick for restricted free agent Chris Ivory.
As we suspected. The NY Daily News' Manish Mehta confirms the Jets are "very interested" in Ivory, and ESPN New York's Rich Cimini tweeted the club "WON'T give up a 2." Ideally, Ivory would sign his one-year restricted tender and the Jets would acquire him via trade, probably for a fifth- or sixth-round pick. Although Ivory has major durability red flags, the 25-year-old is one of the most physically gifted power runners in the game.
ESPN New York reports the Saints are indeed interested in trading restricted free agent Chris Ivory.

It's a key factor because New Orleans has held steadfastly to Ivory's rights to this point in his career despite underutilizing him, seemingly instead preferring to stash his talent. GM Mickey Loomis likely now realizes Ivory is headed for unrestricted free agency in 2014 and the Saints' best chance of receiving draft-pick compensation for him is now. ESPN New York's Rich Cimini suspects New Orleans would part with Ivory in exchange for a fourth-round pick.

I disagree here. I believe much more in somebody who has shown he can do it at this level (when healthy)... Take the more proven commodity if u can...I also don't believe u can trade RFAs because technically they are only RFAs until they are signed... Steelers could now trade Dwyer because he already signed his RFA tender and is under contract... Saints can't trade Ivory because he technically is still unsigned (even though he was offered a contract)Until he signs his RFA tender he is still not able to be traded
100% wrong. The Saints can trade his rights.

If this happens, i will feel really bad for the guy that just traded me Ivory and the Texans for Powell, Dwyer, and Finley because he needed a cheap starting RB.

If this happens, i will feel really bad for the guy that just traded me Ivory and the Texans for Powell, Dwyer, and Finley because he needed a cheap starting RB.
Until today Ivory had little value due to NO tagging him with that 2nd round tender and he still would've been 4th on the depth chart, which means that would've been the most expensive trade for a defense I've ever seen.

Suppose he's 4th on depth chart (regardless of opinion, just suppose) then what team is going to give up a 2nd for him? That's just too high and they'll wait to see if he's cut. If not cut at the end of the summer other teams will be fine by that point.

40 carry RBs are surely a dime a dozen in the NFL

Suppose he's 4th on depth chart (regardless of opinion, just suppose) then what team is going to give up a 2nd for him? That's just too high and they'll wait to see if he's cut. If not cut at the end of the summer other teams will be fine by that point.

40 carry RBs are surely a dime a dozen in the NFL
I don't think NO would've tagged him with a 2nd round tender if they were going to consider cutting him, he's RB insurance / trade bait... I think that they just didn't want to let him go for nothing knowing the type of talent that he possesses when he's actually on the field, they just can't carve out a role for him since his skillset is similar to Ingram's. Best for them to move him in a trade if there's interest instead of letting him walk for nothing when he's a UFA next season.

Who knows, maybe the NYJ interest might kick start interest from other teams in trading for Ivory as well and bump up the compensation they could get back. He's shown that he's a talented RB, just need the opportunity (and a healthy season) to prove it on a regular basis.

Ivory will probably only have one chance in his career to cash in on a decent contract.

That's now, things change by the end of the summer for 4th string RBs. I don't know. I do think it was about posturing for a trade and 40 carries doesn't show enough love.

I disagree here. I believe much more in somebody who has shown he can do it at this level (when healthy)... Take the more proven commodity if u can...I also don't believe u can trade RFAs because technically they are only RFAs until they are signed... Steelers could now trade Dwyer because he already signed his RFA tender and is under contract... Saints can't trade Ivory because he technically is still unsigned (even though he was offered a contract)Until he signs his RFA tender he is still not able to be traded
But wouldn't trading his rights land them a 2nd rd pick in compensation?I'm asking because I really don't know.It's always been my understanding that the RFA tag is typically used to help see what that players true market value might be... My assumption is that they knew if they tagged him at his ORIGINAL draft position he would get signed elsewhere and they'd get zero compensation so instead they tendered him with a 2nd rd designation in hopes that ONE team would offer him a contract that they could either match or let him walk and get the 2nd rd pick...This late in the game, however, it seems nobody is willing to part with a 2nd rd pick for him so rather then let him walk next year as an unrestricted free agent they have made it known that they want to trade him... So ivory "kinda" picks his destination by visiting with the jets and then waits for some sort of "agreement" from saints that if he signs his one yr tender they will trade him away most likely to the jetsI'm not sure what the pt of the RFA is if the above is not the case...So now that Dwyer signed his tender so quickly doesn't that mean that he is officially under contract and can't visit or be offered contracts from other teams... Had he NOT signed his tender its my understanding he could have shopped his wares like Emmanuel Sanders no?

Until today Ivory had little value due to NO tagging him with that 2nd round tender and he still would've been 4th on the depth chart, which means that would've been the most expensive trade for a defense I've ever seen.
Really? I've seen Defenses go for much more. De scoring in this league is bumped up a litte. I consider Ivory to be a better talent than Dwyer and Powell, and figured there was almost no chance either was starting at the start of the season. Also got Keller in the deal, but he was a FA at the time as well.

I'm pretty sure he would need to sign his tender before he could be traded. Until he signs what rights over him does NO possess? He'd sign knowing he was going to be traded with perhaps a longer term contract already worked out.

But wouldn't trading his rights land them a 2nd rd pick in compensation?I'm asking because I really don't know.It's always been my understanding that the RFA tag is typically used to help see what that players true market value might be...My assumption is that they knew if they tagged him at his ORIGINAL draft position he would get signed elsewhere and they'd get zero compensation so instead they tendered him with a 2nd rd designation in hopes that ONE team would offer him a contract that they could either match or let him walk and get the 2nd rd pick...This late in the game, however, it seems nobody is willing to part with a 2nd rd pick for him so rather then let him walk next year as an unrestricted free agent they have made it known that they want to trade him... So ivory "kinda" picks his destination by visiting with the jets and then waits for some sort of "agreement" from saints that if he signs his one yr tender they will trade him away most likely to the jetsI'm not sure what the pt of the RFA is if the above is not the case...So now that Dwyer signed his tender so quickly doesn't that mean that he is officially under contract and can't visit or be offered contracts from other teams... Had he NOT signed his tender its my understanding he could have shopped his wares like Emmanuel Sanders no?
I don't believe this scenario plays out.

I think the tender is rescinded and he is traded to a new team. IE They are demanding a 2nd and they (and only they) can agree to getting less for him.

I believe the Saints just want to dictate the trade and not be in a take what you can get scenario.

Every bit of this makes me guess the Saints got a ton of calls near the trading deadline and/or early this offseason. I don't see it. People here love Ivory too though so I'm open-minded. Time will tell, he's definitely an interesting prospect for moves this offseason in FF.

Would love to see the Packers show some interest. It would be a great fit going from one high powered passing offense to another. Get on this Ted Thompson.

But wouldn't trading his rights land them a 2nd rd pick in compensation?I'm asking because I really don't know.It's always been my understanding that the RFA tag is typically used to help see what that players true market value might be...My assumption is that they knew if they tagged him at his ORIGINAL draft position he would get signed elsewhere and they'd get zero compensation so instead they tendered him with a 2nd rd designation in hopes that ONE team would offer him a contract that they could either match or let him walk and get the 2nd rd pick...This late in the game, however, it seems nobody is willing to part with a 2nd rd pick for him so rather then let him walk next year as an unrestricted free agent they have made it known that they want to trade him... So ivory "kinda" picks his destination by visiting with the jets and then waits for some sort of "agreement" from saints that if he signs his one yr tender they will trade him away most likely to the jetsI'm not sure what the pt of the RFA is if the above is not the case...So now that Dwyer signed his tender so quickly doesn't that mean that he is officially under contract and can't visit or be offered contracts from other teams... Had he NOT signed his tender its my understanding he could have shopped his wares like Emmanuel Sanders no?
I don't believe this scenario plays out.

I think the tender is rescinded and he is traded to a new team. IE They are demanding a 2nd and they (and only they) can agree to getting less for him.

I believe the Saints just want to dictate the trade and not be in a take what you can get scenario.
They can't trade him if he isn't signed first. He is a free agent.

The question is his potential role with the Jets. Are they looking to trade for him to make him a 200+ carry starter? A < 100 carry committee back, behind Goodson and Powell? Or just depth along with (or instead of) McKnight? We can speculate sure but until a deal does take place and the Jets divulge their thinking we can't know for sure, and probably not even then.

The question is his potential role with the Jets. Are they looking to trade for him to make him a 200+ carry starter? A < 100 carry committee back, behind Goodson and Powell? Or just depth along with (or instead of) McKnight? We can speculate sure but until a deal does take place and the Jets divulge there thinking we can't know for sure, and probably not even then.
I hope the Saints keep him, then when he hits the market next year he can sign where he knows he can get the most playing time. That being said, this kid is as good as any rookie in the draft in my opinion. Seems a 4th is a good value

That article actually said it would most likely be a 5th if a deal got done, but his guess is a deal wouldn't happen.

I'm not holding my breath, though I hope something happens so he can get unburied from the Saints depth chart.

That article actually said it would most likely be a 5th if a deal got done, but his guess is a deal wouldn't happen.

I'm not holding my breath, though I hope something happens so he can get unburied from the Saints depth chart.
Hmmm, i read the article, you are correct. However the blurb from Rotoworld was it would take a 4th or better.

The question is his potential role with the Jets. Are they looking to trade for him to make him a 200+ carry starter? A < 100 carry committee back, behind Goodson and Powell? Or just depth along with (or instead of) McKnight? We can speculate sure but until a deal does take place and the Jets divulge there thinking we can't know for sure, and probably not even then.
I hope the Saints keep him, then when he hits the market next year he can sign where he knows he can get the most playing time. That being said, this kid is as good as any rookie in the draft in my opinion. Seems a 4th is a good value
I know you'd like to think this, but that's not how it goes. If he hits the market, he will sign where he knows he can get the most money.

I know you'd like to think this, but that's not how it goes. If he hits the market, he will sign where he knows he can get the most money.
Your opinion.

Your opinion.
He's a 25-year-old scatback who was originally an UDFA and already has a long injury history. Do you really think he's going to look at this as anything other than his first, last, and best chance to get paid?

Your opinion.
He's a 25-year-old scatback who was originally an UDFA and already has a long injury history. Do you really think he's going to look at this as anything other than his first, last, and best chance to get paid?
:goodposting:

Not sure he is a scatback per say but the injuries are certainly a huge concern... he runs violent and that is part of what makes him interesting and part of what makes him more prone to injury.

Your opinion.
Yes, some people like to prove they can play in the NFL, he has not had is chance yet. Especially if he gets 2.3 mil just for signing his tender this year. Thats my opinion.

Your opinion.
Are we still talking about Ivory here?

Your opinion.
I guess at 6'0", 222, this makes him the largest scatback in the history of the NFL.

Chris Ivory seems to have become overrated on these boards. He was a full back his first year in college and then transferred after getting into some trouble and getting released from his team. He then went to his new team where he played tail back and had 534 rushing yards in 3 years in college and was often injured in college as well.

In the NFL he can't seem to stay healthy. He has 3 receptions in 3 years with the Saints. Now I know sometimes guys get burried on depth charts and all it takes is a chance, but Ivory can't be counted on as a lead guy as he has not been able to stay healthy at any level he has played. He is a complimentary back. He has good speed and power, but he is a long shot to ever be a work horse type in the NFL.

I just don't get the love.

Your opinion.
I guess at 6'0", 222, this makes him the largest scatback in the history of the NFL.
:lmao: Yeah, sorry about that. I was crafting another post on my PDSL team and had LaMichael James stuck in my head.

Point still applies, though. If he gets traded, he'll probably ink a 3-year deal, at the end of which he'll be 28. If he doesn't earn the money he feels he's entitled to now, he sure as hell isn't likely to get it at 28.

There's a real good chance whoever offers him the most money has plans to give him the ball more than anyone else, would everyone agree?

Users who are viewing this thread