What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alfred Morris, why is he rated so low (2 Viewers)

From Lynch interview: We also had a feeling that we were missing a churner, a guy who could get the tough yards. A mudder, we used to call them. Someone who could stick their foot in a tough condition game and grind out some yards.

I'd be extremely worried as a McKinnon owner considering McKinnon couldn't even beat out the Purple Sloth back in Minnesota. 

At this point Morris is worth a speculative add to see how this plays out. No one is advocating a high draft pick or some huge bid/waiver position. I prefer to pick up players before they have value.

It's not the notion that he is a Homer, it's the assumption that the person he is responding to doesn't follow the team as closely as he does.

I appreciate different perspectives, particularly from homers, hell I actively seeking them even when they get annoyed with me for doing so ( :hey: @tonydead) but don't assume you know better just because someone disagrees with you. That guy/girl may be a Homer too.
The guy he responded to with that laughed at him for bringing local insight.

What?

1-How is a reporter going to observe that SF won't have 4 active RBs? Unless there is a quote from a coach saying that (after Morris was signed, and preferably after his good game on Saturday), there is no basis for your claim here.

2-Now you are speculating ("it doesn't take much").  That's fine; much of what we do on this board is speculate, but trying to pass it off as having some kind of legitimacy because it comes from beat reporters is different.

4-all arrows point towards this?  The fact that they still aren't practicing (only conditioning) is an arrow pointing to this?  Really seems like you have an end point in mind, and are determined to make the road lead there.
JFC what a tough crowd.  I'm done here lol.  Was passing on info.  I follow this team closely, like crazy obsessed fan closely, so I read everything, watch all the press conferences, etc.  I'll stick to the homer thread.  You FF dudes are obviously serious business here.  And again, I have no vested interest on this.  Do what you want with the info, I couldn't care less :)

I was responding to why I said that (you must not follow the team closely), which was because of the laughing guys initial response.  Please make sure you are keeping up with what you are responding to please.
Come on guy. There is nothing wrong with admitting you made a mistake. I did not laugh at you and I value your opinion as a Homer. But don't assume someone doesn't follow the team as closely as you do just because they disagree with you. There is no value in that.

Also it is fair to say that Washington, Atlanta and even Cleveland homers can speak with authority about Shanahan just as well as a Niners Homer.

From Lynch interview: We also had a feeling that we were missing a churner, a guy who could get the tough yards. A mudder, we used to call them. Someone who could stick their foot in a tough condition game and grind out some yards.

I'd be extremely worried as a McKinnon owner considering McKinnon couldn't even beat out the Purple Sloth back in Minnesota. 

At this point Morris is worth a speculative add to see how this plays out. No one is advocating a high draft pick or some huge bid/waiver position. I prefer to pick up players before they have value.
There's no denying Morris is worth a speculative add - but dismissing McKinnon outright is probably not a great idea based on how this entire offseason has played out.

There is no speculation on this at all.  McKinnon will be the starter and if Morris makes the team it will be as the 4th back, meaning he won't be in uniform unless there is an injury to either McKinnon or Breida.  McKinnon has looked very good throughout training camp and they are pretty high on him.  Lynch was on KNBR and his comment was related to Baldy's analysis that Morris looked good, which he did, but hard to glean much as the o-line was blocking much better that game than the previous two.  Would temper the Morris hype unless there is an injury to either starter. If they let Mostert walk and only keep 3 RB's, which seems unlikely as this point, he may have more immediate value. 

You obviously don't follow the team closely.  This is pretty much standard info from just about every beat writer.  They are not going to dress 4 RB's on game day.  As it stands now, McKinnon and Breida along with Mostert, who is a special teams ace, will be in uniform.  Do you have additional info we don't know?

Come on guy. There is nothing wrong with admitting you made a mistake. I did not laugh at you and I value your opinion as a Homer. But don't assume someone doesn't follow the team as closely as you do just because they disagree with you. There is no value in that.

Also it is fair to say that Washington, Atlanta and even Cleveland homers can speak with authority about Shanahan just as well as a Niners Homer.
He wasn't saying YOU laughed at him.

The guy he responded to with that laughed at him for bringing local insight.
Thats nice, I didn't.

And because someone laughs, which I don't think has value as a response either, you assume that they are not following the team as closely? Again, there is no value to either.

Sorry, I'm derailing and I hate that too.

McKinnon is the starter, no question but it's written in pencil at best.

Just adding to your info, the spot Morris is expected to get is Rueben Fosters opening, since he is suspended the first 2 weeks. After that the 49ers will have to make a decision and most of the speculation is that Mostert sticks because he plays special teams.

People are getting a little too excited that Morris ran all over a Colts run D that has been terrible this preseason. Chris Carson, Kenneth Dixon and Javorious Allen have all averaged between 5 - 6 plus yards against the Colts starters. It's not surprising that Morris came in with fresh legs and did the same.
that and McKinnon has proven nothing in his career....the last 2 years he has a sub-4.0 ypc...Alf has a positive history with Shanny and his offense and has been a successful lead back in the past...I like Breida but he doesn't have a track record either.  

I've seen this situation 100 times...look at Gillislee last year...he was a hot commodity because the Pats went out and paid him, everyone was drafting him in the mid rounds and did nothing.  McKinnon could EASILY be that guy this year.  I'm very skeptical when guys move teams that haven't had success in the past that they are going to step in and run with the job.  When the cost insurance is nearly free the downside is too little to ignore.  While I don't think Alf if he got the job would be a star, I could certainly envision him being a 1st/2nd down back with goal line duties.  If I'm wrong I drop him week 2 or 3...if you wait for the definitive news/proof to come out it'll probably be too late.  

my 2 cents.

JFC what a tough crowd.  I'm done here lol.  Was passing on info.  I follow this team closely, like crazy obsessed fan closely, so I read everything, watch all the press conferences, etc.  I'll stick to the homer thread.  You FF dudes are obviously serious business here.  And again, I have no vested interest on this.  Do what you want with the info, I couldn't care less :)
Good talk. 

BTW-since this is a FANTASY FOOTBALL message board, and we tend to try to find players who are going to, you know, be active, when you post things like "he won't be active, they won't activate 4 RBs," a link is helpful, and if you don't have a link, you shouldn't get your panties in a wad when people don't just accept "I'm a super-fan, you should just trust me."

that and McKinnon has proven nothing in his career....the last 2 years he has a sub-4.0 ypc...Alf has a positive history with Shanny and his offense and has been a successful lead back in the past...I like Breida but he doesn't have a track record either.  

I've seen this situation 100 times...look at Gillislee last year...he was a hot commodity because the Pats went out and paid him, everyone was drafting him in the mid rounds and did nothing.  McKinnon could EASILY be that guy this year.  I'm very skeptical when guys move teams that haven't had success in the past that they are going to step in and run with the job.  When the cost insurance is nearly free the downside is too little to ignore.  While I don't think Alf if he got the job would be a star, I could certainly envision him being a 1st/2nd down back with goal line duties.  If I'm wrong I drop him week 2 or 3...if you wait for the definitive news/proof to come out it'll probably be too late.  

my 2 cents.
I don't disagree with you much. If Morris is out there and basically free I'd pick him up for a few weeks, crazy things happen. That said, McKinnon was having a great camp and getting rave reviews from most of the local writers, he's exactly what Shanahan wants in a lead back, a chess piece that can be moved all over the field and create mismatches. Of coarse he could flame out, but up until the injury there were multiple "+" articles a week about him. I could envision a scenario where Morris becomes a short yardage, goal line back because of his running style, but I don't expect it, Shanahan wants someone in there that won't clue the defense in to what the play is.

People are getting a little too excited that Morris ran all over a Colts run D that has been terrible this preseason. Chris Carson, Kenneth Dixon and Javorious Allen have all averaged between 5 - 6 plus yards against the Colts starters. It's not surprising that Morris came in with fresh legs and did the same.
I'm generally not excited about Morris from a fantasy perspective but what I did think after watching him run vs. IND is that he looked exactly the same as he did last year when he was tops in forced missed tackles and yards after contact while getting burn in Elliot's absence. And if that is the case then he's hands down SF's most talented runner. I don't know how anyone could watch all of McKinnon, Breida, McNichols, Williams, Mostert and Morris and not come to that same conclusion. 

A lot of these guys are just blowhards and like to hear themselves talk.  If it wasn't reported on ESPN or tweeted by Adam Shefter it never happened in their world  They have no idea what it means to follow a team.

I'm generally not excited about Morris from a fantasy perspective but what I did think after watching him run vs. IND is that he looked exactly the same as he did last year when he was tops in forced missed tackles and yards after contact while getting burn in Elliot's absence. And if that is the case then he's hands down SF's most talented runner. I don't know how anyone could watch all of McKinnon, Breida, McNichols, Williams, Mostert and Morris and not come to that same conclusion. 
This is reminiscent of the Alex Collins situation from last year. WE know that Morris deserves a role, if not a shot at the starting gig. But WE don't run the team, and the coachspeak from the 49ers at this point is that Morris not only lacks a path to steal touches, he may not even be on the roster if Brieda/McKinnon become fully healthy before the season starts. I'm not sure if Alf plays special teams; if he does it'd certainly help him sick around. 

Sometimes an organization makes up their mind already and they won't change it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it the same pencil he used to sign his $30MM contract? :D
Yup.

I think I made my opinion about that clear. It's his job to lose but it definitely could be lost on strictly a production basis. I think that is the kind.of coach Shanahan is.

I was intrigued by your comment and went back and reviewed the relevant posts.

Impartially, what I read was you making inferences from what beat writers were inferring and then passing it along as fact.  When people questioned you on it, your rhetorical response was that because you are a rabid fan who follows the fan closely you know what is going to happen.

Do what you want with that info.

And apologies to @SF409ers for flying too far off the handle. I stand by my assertion that saying someone clearly doesn't follow a team because they disagree is just a terrible response (I really do hate that and it is all too common). But I also called you out mistakenly, and too harshly and I'm sorry for that.

I also stand by my contention that McKinnon doesn't have a carte blanche hammerlock on the starting RB job in SF. I think that Shanny will ultimately choose the guy(s) who gives him the best chance to win and not the guy who will prove his ego right (i.e. the guy he gave 30Mil). It could be Morris, it could be Breida, it could be McKinnon. 

Morris could be a sleeper of the year , type of guy to win your fantasy league. he'll make the team , they'll cut Williams. Breida was NEVER going to be anything more than a c.o.p back.

now you have an oft-injured Mckinnon standing between Alf and the starting gig. how long will McKinnon be hurt, and/or will he re-injure himself, etc.

Morris could be a sleeper of the year , type of guy to win your fantasy league. he'll make the team , they'll cut Williams. Breida was NEVER going to be anything more than a c.o.p back.

now you have an oft-injured Mckinnon standing between Alf and the starting gig. how long will McKinnon be hurt, and/or will he re-injure himself, etc.
Hell...forget that...he just needs to produce... can he run for more than 4 ypc?   He hasn’t for the last few years.  It’ll come down to play on the field. 

Just drafted Alf at 18.06 in a high stakes league.  Perfect late round flyer to draft.  Wish I though of him in some of my earlier drafts (in which he wasn't drafted by anyone).

As a McKinnon owner, I'm not panicking just yet. They spent a lot of money on him because he fits what they want to do. Morris is an insurance policy who's familiar with the offense and a good locker room presence. I don't even feel the need to handcuff Jerick with Al at this point.
It's a sunk cost.  If Morris ends up being the better back they can walk away from the McKinnon contract.

The Frankman said:
This is reminiscent of the Alex Collins situation from last year. WE know that Morris deserves a role, if not a shot at the starting gig. But WE don't run the team, and the coachspeak from the 49ers at this point is that Morris not only lacks a path to steal touches, he may not even be on the roster if Brieda/McKinnon become fully healthy before the season starts. I'm not sure if Alf plays special teams; if he does it'd certainly help him sick around. 

Sometimes an organization makes up their mind already and they won't change it.
The Bloom 'assumption of rational coaching" crutch.  It's the loser's limp of FBG's.

You won't get him if you wait that long.
Hes only 4% owned in Yahoo leagues at the moment. You should be able to get him semi late. At this point he is still a flyer so you don't want to spend to much. All that said I grabbed him in both my leagues already.

I think the guy that laughed at him is local too though.  He needs to back up his #### instead of just claiming "local insight" in an appeal to authority.
He didn't come in here to tell lies. He was just reporting local news that he thought would be insightful to fantasy footballers. 

I grabbed him and cut a QB in a super flex league where there's only a three or four point projected difference between the QB and the RB I slid into the flex. 

Figured I might wind up with a lottery ticket.  

Hes only 4% owned in Yahoo leagues at the moment. You should be able to get him semi late. At this point he is still a flyer so you don't want to spend to much. All that said I grabbed him in both my leagues already.
Late yes.  At the end?  Maybe not.  Was met with expletives in the leagues where I grabbed him.  Missed him in another where I waited too long.  A speculative pick no doubt, but will gladly pay the price given what McKinnon is going for.  I think that offense will put up decent numbers this year.

I grabbed him and cut a QB in a super flex league where there's only a three or four point projected difference between the QB and the RB I slid into the flex. 

Figured I might wind up with a lottery ticket.  
I was wondering why nobody in that league picked him up. I had in a claim for him if I didn't get the other person I did, and it was actually hard to decide which claim to put in first.

I was wondering why nobody in that league picked him up. I had in a claim for him if I didn't get the other person I did, and it was actually hard to decide which claim to put in first.
Yeah, I just added him. I figured Fitzpatrick is worth about fifteen points in that league, and there's no reason my flex can't pop eighty yards and a touchdown.  

It seems worth it right now, as Fitz has three really tough defenses to start the year in NO, Philly, and another I'm not remembering.  

You obviously don't follow the team closely.  This is pretty much standard info from just about every beat writer.  They are not going to dress 4 RB's on game day.  As it stands now, McKinnon and Breida along with Mostert, who is a special teams ace, will be in uniform.  Do you have additional info we don't know?
Would you mind commenting on this?  "Looks more comfortable in the offense"  https://twitter.com/grantcohn/status/1033500599134777344

Last week there was speculation that he may not make the team and now he could have a prominent role. Not sure anyone knows what type of role he will have when McKinnon comes back including the coaching staff.

he's going to rush for 1000 yards and 10 TDs. take it to the bank. anyone think McKinnon will be anything more than a Chris Thompson type?

- me neither.

Say McKinnon goes down, do we really think Alf is worthy of a start at some point? Even at flex? I can’t see better than a 60/40 split in favor of Breida. 

I'm adding him where I can get him for free as a (dynasty) HC to McKinnon.  But I wouldn't roster him otherwise.  He's a zero in the passing game, and the whole reason Shanahan went out and got JMcK is his all-purpose ability in the Freeman role. 

Williams cut.

Dominoes falling.

Went undrafted in a 12 team ppr tonight 

You got anything to back this up? 

I'm adding him where I can get him for free as a (dynasty) HC to McKinnon.  But I wouldn't roster him otherwise.  He's a zero in the passing game, and the whole reason Shanahan went out and got JMcK is his all-purpose ability in the Freeman role. 
Good point.  And they signed him to a big FA contract too, like he valued him more highly than the rest of the league did.  And we all know what happened the last time that Shanahan saw a talented player, valued him more than the rest of the league, & made damn sure to get him on his team.

Oh, yeah-he got cut a year later.

At best, this becomes a 3 headed committee, no?  Maybe Alf wins 1st and 2nd down roles.  I just can't see it, but just in case it happens, is he really worth rostering?  Would he be the goal line back?  I think the bottom line is nobody knows.  If you have 8 bench spots, sure, take a flier and see what happens.  I'd rather invest my lotto tickets in less crowded backfields.

Without the injuries, this guy would probably be working in a car dealership.  I think when McKinnon and Breida get healthy, the excitement will die down.

Users who are viewing this thread