What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alfred Morris, why is he rated so low (1 Viewer)

I thought he clearly passed the eye test last year.  

But, a year older and a different line and all that. Different assignments, responsibilities, etc. 

Different game. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I see a time share between Morris and Breida.  Morris early downs and Breida plays the Thompson role.
Breida is really not a great pass catcher. People seem to believe this because of his smaller stature.

I think Shanny tries to find in his opinion the best logical pass-catching RB. Some options are a trade for Abdullah, Shane Vereen, or CJ Prosise, and look at Ryan Nall.

Breida is really not a great pass catcher. People seem to believe this because of his smaller stature.

I think Shanny tries to find in his opinion the best logical pass-catching RB. Some options are a trade for Abdullah, Shane Vereen, or CJ Prosise, and look at Ryan Nall.
I wouldn’t mind Abdullah. He’s like a McKinnon light. He’d be a great fit for passing down back. 

Yeah, I take your point, and it's likely they will sign a guy like that. Cadet is also available. But I'd scratch Vereen off that list. He's hurt.  

I was saying it at the time, too. I was ok with the McKinnon signing, but that was making the best of the situation. I didn’t see why they couldn’t retain a dude who seemed like he could handle the gig.  :shrug:
Sometimes you go searching for the perfect and you forget about how good what you have is. I think there's an element of that in the McKinnon signing. Hyde's not exactly the most durable fellow, either, so they may have been looking to upgrade their missed games by their feature back.  

Depends on your leeg. Not to be a wiseass, but that's why they do customized spreadsheets. 
You know as soon as someone prefaces a statement with "not to be a "****", they're about to be a "****"

No exception here :lmao:

You know as soon as someone prefaces a statement with "not to be a "****" they're about to be a "****"

No exception here :lmao:
Ohhhh man. Heh. Damn. Wasn't trying to be. 

It's actually two things:

1. frustration about my lack of knowledge about his preferences, league, etc. to even give an opinion 
  2. that leagues are so varied that it's impossible to really come to a consensus about what round a guy should go in
Like, what are the positional requirements? Bench size? PPR or non-PPR? What level of PPR if so? 

And on and on. Those sheets look mighty different from league to league. 

But yeah, maybe I should have said, "I'm sorry. I can't help you out unless I know all these things and have mocked them out."

I hope he forgives a slight transgression. 

:)

Ohhhh man. Heh. Damn. Wasn't trying to be. 

It's actually two things:

1. frustration about my lack of knowledge about his preferences, league, etc. to even give an opinion 
  2. that leagues are so varied that it's impossible to really come to a consensus about what round a guy should go in
Like, what are the positional requirements? Bench size? PPR or non-PPR? What level of PPR if so? 

And on and on. Those sheets look mighty different from league to league. 

But yeah, maybe I should said, "I'm sorry. I can't help you out unless I know all these things and have mocked them out."

I hope he forgives a slight transgression. 

:)
All I'm saying is that it was a legitimate question given the major news re: McKinnon, so with the news this fresh, the customized sheets don't mean much... so it's completely reasonable to try to get a feel for how people around here are adjusting his ADP.

All I'm saying is that it was a legitimate question given the major news re: McKinnon, so with the news this fresh, the customized sheets don't mean much... so it's completely reasonable to try to get a feel for how people around here are adjusting his ADP.
Oh, totally. I totally agree. This is certainly the forum for it and a sheet won't be adjusted at breaking news. I was just trying, I guess, to give what I just wrote you into a condensed version and voila! -- wiseass.

There was no intentional snark on this end, but I can easily see how it could be read that way. 

Anyway, no biggie in the end, I don't think. Just an innocent miscommunication. 

Somebody was able to generalize it and tell him that Morris and Breida were really slotted in the draft position where you're drafting for depth. I thought that person gave a good answer.  

Were I drafting today, I’d expect the following:

1. I would rank Alf somewhere around AP’s ADP. Probably a round before. 9-10

2. Someone else in one of my leagues would take Alf 2-3 rounds before that, like in the 6-7th. 

Probably holds true in a lot of leagues, regardless of format.  :shrug:

Were I drafting today, I’d expect the following:

1. I would rank Alf somewhere around AP’s ADP. Probably a round before. 9-10

2. Someone else in one of my leagues would take Alf 2-3 rounds before that, like in the 6-7th. 

Probably holds true in a lot of leagues, regardless of format.  :shrug:
Yep. That would be inevitable. There's a healthy dash of Murphy's law in that. 

Better yet, I'd be that guy reaching to take him in the sixth or seventh. My own preference, and especially this year, is to load up on RBs and find WR value in the later rounds.  

0.5 PPR league here and I had outsized hopes for McKinnon. I handcuffed him with Breida in the draft, but as soon as I saw the injury news today I dumped Doctson for Morris. I'm leaving them both on the bench week one and starting Carson and seeing what happens. If you have some WR who you drafted because it was your turn and you didn't wanted to get yelled at so you said, "Fine, I'll ####### take Doctson" and you can have both SF RB's instead, you may as well do the same thing.

0.5 PPR league here and I had outsized hopes for McKinnon. I handcuffed him with Breida in the draft, but as soon as I saw the injury news today I dumped Doctson for Morris. I'm leaving them both on the bench week one and starting Carson and seeing what happens. If you have some WR who you drafted because it was your turn and you didn't wanted to get yelled at so you said, "Fine, I'll ####### take Doctson" and you can have both SF RB's instead, you may as well do the same thing.
The bolded cracked me up a bit. :lol:

I'm a little different. I'm usually so amped to draft that I'm basically assaulting the podium with my pick within ten seconds of the previous pick. Unless I get sniped. Then all bets are off. .

The bolded cracked me up a bit. :lol:

I'm a little different. I'm usually so amped to draft that I'm basically assaulting the podium with my pick within ten seconds of the previous pick. Unless I get sniped. Then all bets are off. .
Serious question: 

what do you guys do with this podium the other 364 days of the year? 

Serious question: 

what do you guys do with this podium the other 364 days of the year? 
I give lectures. There's knitting, salad-making and tossing, arts, crafts -- all that stuff. 

You can use a podium at just about any location to do anything you want. It's a very versatile piece of furniture, especially if there's a microphone and a built-in speaker. 

Or, let's be real. Since I really do all my drafts online, it's really a metaphorical podium, representing that I have an allotted time to have the floor and consider my choices. The end result? An athlete beamed into my living space to watch and fester and rot in said space whilst observing an unusually gifted physical specimen who looks nothing like me tote a closed leather oblong bag of air through eleven other men trying to get at the leather oblong bag or stop him by driving him into the ground.  

I’m debating this and right now have no idea.  My first thought is 10%-20% but that seems to low for someone who could be an NFL starter. 
I have a feeling most leagues will have a guy go big for Morris. Like 40-50% big. I drafted yesterday an hour before the news dropped and nabbed Breida in the 11th with the intention of making Alf my last   pick (I knew I was weak at RB) and someone grabbed him in the 16th. I think that’s the only league I’m in that he was drafted. 

Matt Maiocco✔@MaioccoNBCS

With #49ers RB Jerick McKinnon out for the season, expect Alfred Morris and Matt Breida to share the load. Who plays more will likely be based on game plan vs. opponent. Who starts will be determined by the first call on Kyle Shanahan’s play sheet.

6:28 PM - Sep 1, 2018

Matt Maiocco✔@MaioccoNBCS

With #49ers RB Jerick McKinnon out for the season, expect Alfred Morris and Matt Breida to share the load. Who plays more will likely be based on game plan vs. opponent. Who starts will be determined by the first call on Kyle Shanahan’s play sheet.

6:28 PM - Sep 1, 2018
Yep. We've got a RBBC, most likely, which devalues both.

Default ESPN rankings in the draftroom have already catapulted Morris into Rex Burkhead territory. 6th round. 

I have a feeling most leagues will have a guy go big for Morris. Like 40-50% big. I drafted yesterday an hour before the news dropped and nabbed Breida in the 11th with the intention of making Alf my last   pick (I knew I was weak at RB) and someone grabbed him in the 16th. I think that’s the only league I’m in that he was drafted. 
He went for 43% in the league that I lost McKinnon. My bid was in the 20s.

Good move. You don't want to spend over 25% for a scripted and game-dependent Shanahan RBBC That's death.  
It's not fun losing my third RB in a $750 auction league that I paid $20-something for before the seasons starts,  but I still have at least a third decent RB. I would get Morris up to a certain point, but I'm not sure that I want to commit all that FAAB money before week 1 on him either. Someone else will come up during the season.

It's not fun losing my third RB in a $750 auction league that I paid $20-something for before the seasons starts,  but I still have at least a third decent RB. I would get Morris up to a certain point, but I'm not sure that I want to commit all that FAAB money before week 1 on him either. Someone else will come up during the season.
That is no fun. Sorry that happened. I was steering clear of McKinnon this year  -- even though I've rostered him twice for nearly full years before -- because of his ADP combined with Breida and Shanahan, but it looks like Shanny was going to use McKinnon like Freeman in ATL so I don't know what my hang-up was. It's all moot now. What a terrible break for real life and roto leagues.

eta* And something is likely to happen where now you have your full budget. 

I wasn't too impressed with what Morris did with Dallas last year. He had like 1 big game and then 2 that were decent. The other 3 or 4 we're not even flex worthy. And that's when he pretty much had the backfield to himself.  
Also, add in that 6 of his 9 starts went against bottom 10 teams against the run. 3 of his 9 starts went against the 31 & 32nd ranked run defenses. When you have the Dallas offensive line going against these type defenses you don't have to be much more than serviceable to look ok. The previous 2 years Morris averaged around 3.5 yards a carry and had no interest in the free agent market until a team lost 3 of their top 4 backs to injury.

He knows the system, so he should get a portion of the carries, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the 49ers are looking to pick up more of an all purpose back. I believe that the leading point producer in the 49er backfield probably isn't on the team yet.

I believe that the leading point producer in the 49er backfield probably isn't on the team yet.
Who do you have as viable alternatives, or is this more of a gut feeling?  

eta* Interesting post, by the way. Did not know how weak the run defenses he'd faced during Zeke's suspension were. 

I agree with you. There are several "lottery ticket" RBs this year: Ivory (if he is, indeed, #2, which I am not sure of), Conner (everyone just assumes Bell reports in next 3 days), Gallman (is Barkley truly recovered?), Ekeler (fantastic player, btw), Foreman ... whose situations would be much stronger than Morris. You may rejoice having 100% of your FAAB.

Who do you have as viable alternatives, or is this more of a gut feeling?  

eta* Interesting post, by the way. Did not know how weak the run defenses he'd faced during Zeke's suspension were. 
I don't really have any alternatives but Shanahan will have to find a receiving back. Some one mentioned Abdulla earlier in the thread, Charcandrick West was just cut loose. They will find someone.

I don't really have any alternatives but Shanahan will have to find a receiving back. Some one mentioned Abdulla earlier in the thread, Charcandrick West was just cut loose. They will find someone.
SeniorVBDStudent brought it to my attention that Travaris Cadet had been let go by the Bills. 

Another option there.  

That is no fun. Sorry that happened. I was steering clear of McKinnon this year  -- even though I've rostered him twice for nearly full years before -- because of Breida and Shanahan, but it looks like Shanny was going to use McKinnon like Freeman in ATL so I don't know what my hang-up was. It's all moot now. What a terrible break for real life and roto leagues.  
I've done over 35 paid drafts now. I had McKinnon in about 5 of them. Oh well. It sucks, but I've won leagues after losing my top 7 RBs. You just have to keep plugging along and work that wire. He was only my third guy, so it's a hit to my flex and depth. It sucks for people that had him as their RB2 or even RB1.  That's why you always load up on RBs.

I think Morris will be serviceable. All he needs is a couple of catches per game to help out.

I mentioned West to a friend last night. If he gets added, he might be a thorn to everyone's value.

I've done over 35 paid drafts now. I had McKinnon in about 5 of them. Oh well. It sucks, but I've won leagues after losing my top 7 RBs. You just have to keep plugging along and work that wire. He was only my third guy, so it's a hit to my flex and depth. It sucks for people that had him as their RB2 or even RB1.  That's why you always load up on RBs.

I think Morris will be serviceable. All he needs is a couple of catches per game to help out.
Yep. I lost a first and second rounder one year and won a league. It was all wire.  

This year, I had Morris on my roster after I saw the line from the dress rehearsal performance. Dunno, I went zero RB this year in a fun league just to see. It's the music thread. We have a flex and a super flex, so QBs were at a premium and it just fell that way. 

I win leagues going RB-RB-RB-RB. No lie. So usually, your point about loading up on RBs is taken to heart by me. 

I agree with you. There are several "lottery ticket" RBs this year. Ivory (if he is, indeed, #2), Conner (everyone assumes Bell reports in next 3 days), Gallman (is Barkley truly recovered?), Ekeler, Foreman ... whose situations would be stronger than Morris.
If for some reason I get a high pick, Bell is nowhere near it for this reason. 

What if he: 

1. Doesn't report
  2. Reports out of shape
  3. Reports and gets injured
Too much stuff going on with that situation to feel comfortable selecting him over a Zeke or a David Johnson. And assuming he'll report? Aren't they franchising him? He can sit the year and stretch last year's franchise tag with him through the next year if he wants. 

He made 14.5 cool millions last year.  

What if he: 

1. Doesn't report
  2. Reports out of shape
Too much stuff going on with that situation to feel comfortable selecting him over a Zeke or a David Johnson. And assuming he'll report? Aren't they franchising him? He can sit the year and stretch last year's franchise tag with him through the next year if he wants. 

I own Conner in every league, getting him in the last week (nothing deep Einstein here) and I am genuinely perplexed as to how I was able to do that. I'm even considering Samuels in my one really deep league, for the TE eligibility.

Also, add in that 6 of his 9 starts went against bottom 10 teams against the run. 3 of his 9 starts went against the 31 & 32nd ranked run defenses. When you have the Dallas offensive line going against these type defenses you don't have to be much more than serviceable to look ok. The previous 2 years Morris averaged around 3.5 yards a carry and had no interest in the free agent market until a team lost 3 of their top 4 backs to injury.

He knows the system, so he should get a portion of the carries, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the 49ers are looking to pick up more of an all purpose back. I believe that the leading point producer in the 49er backfield probably isn't on the team yet.
I don't understand. I thought Zeke only missed 6 games not 9

What if he: 

1. Doesn't report
  2. Reports out of shape

He can't sit the whole year otherwise they can just franchise him again next year. I believe he has to report by week 10 or something

I own Conner in every league, getting him in the last week (nothing deep Einstein here) and I am genuinely perplexed as to how I was able to do that. I'm even considering Samuels in my one deep league for the TE eligibility.
We have, at the FFA, a sixteen-teamer and a Pittsburgh homer. Conner was spoken for in our league, and reasonably early for a sixteen-rounder. I think he went in the...eleventh(??) 

My draft was last evening and to be honest I didn't pay much attention to it because I stacked my 4 RB's early in the draft before Morris or Breida would even be a thought in my head. I really have no idea if any of the other owners drafted them in the late rounds. I will have to check on that.

We have, at the FFA, a sixteen-teamer and a Pittsburgh homer. Conner was spoken for in our league, and reasonably early for a sixteen-rounder. I think he went in the...eleventh(??) 

Right, but 10 x 16 = 160 = 13 * 12, so even with the homer he is barely drafted in a 12-team league. I play in 12-team Y! cash leagues and got him as a FA in every one roughly 3 days ago, and this was right *after* Bell denied the story he was going to report. The complacency here amazes me.

I don't understand. I thought Zeke only missed 6 games not 9
Yeah, Morris only started 6 games & T Smith was out for like 4 of them, making the Dallas O-line much less effective.  3 of those games were against top-12 run D’s & 3 were against bottom-12.

So other than that, great post. 

What's the bottom line on Morris???

Last year Hyde avg 15/att game

75/25 split with Breida; 11/att gm (3.5 ypc w/o Cowboys 4.8 w/Cowboys) @ 4ypc 6-8 TD = 115pts or RB23 in standard non-ppr

Bell-Cow with Hydes 15/att gm 8-10 TD = 129pts or RB16 in standard non-ppr

Am I missing something here...?

Users who are viewing this thread