What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (5 Viewers)

Dominant advantage at TE? Hes the sixth best TE. What are u talking about?
I don't see it either. It sure hasn't felt dominant. If anything, the big game in week 5 is more the outlier. In his last 14 games ('13 & '14) Gronk's had 3 games with 100+ yds and a TD and none with 2 or more.

Like I pointed out, 1 top-3 finish to date does not indicate dominance. Last week he was TE8 and based on scoring averages, could be as low as TE13 this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides J.Thomas, which TE do you want in your lineup and where has he finished every week? Also, are any of them coming off major knee surgery and playing a limited number of snaps?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see it either. It sure hasn't felt dominant. If anything, the big game in week 5 is more the outlier. In his last 14 games ('13 & '14) Gronk's had 3 games with 100+ yds and a TD and none with 2 or more.

Like I pointed out, 1 top-3 finish to date does not indicate dominance. Last week he was TE8 and based on scoring averages, could be as low as TE13 this week.
I know I shouldn't be feeding your lot, but:

Since cracking the 65% snap mark--3 weeks in a row--he's on a 96/1,392/5 per 16 pace. If you didn't account for a slow start--that's on you.

• Smile
Reactions: Dez
One thing he's not been so far this year is a dominant advantage at the TE position. He's finished a week in the top 3 once this year. And he'll most likely finish around TE8 or so this week. In my league, he's finished above TE6 1 time this year. And over the last 3 weeks Brady's thrown for 9 TDs. Gronk got 1 of those.

Right now, I feel like my 3rd round pick has been a bust. He needs a few weeks of dominance to justify the pick here in the 2nd half of the FFL season.
I went back and looked at what would have happened if a quarterback finished 6th in fantasy points every single week last season (I randomly gave him a week 10 bye). Two things would have been true.

#1- the quarterback only would have topped 30 fantasy points once all season.

#2- the quarterback would have scored as many fantasy points over the course of the year as Drew Brees, 60 points ahead of 3rd-place Andy Dalton.

Would you say that player was dominant or not? I would say yes. Even without a single top-5 fantasy finish, that player was still a major difference-maker for his owner.

If Rob Gronkowski keeps on putting up these ho-hum TE4-6 finishes all year long, and the end result is he's the #1 scoring fantasy TE from this point forward, then I would argue that Rob Gronkowski was absolutely a dominant asset.

Dominant advantage at TE? Hes the sixth best TE. What are u talking about?

That means there are currently 6 TEs on pace to finish with numbers that would have put them as the standout TE2 last year. Care to predict how many of those guys are actually going to finish with numbers that leave them as a yearly standout TE2?

There's something to be said for their predictability going forward. Every year there are guys that get off to fast starts, a guy like Gronk has value in that you know those are his actual numbers that he can maintain, and not just a brief hot stretch like most of the other guys are experiencing. Guys like Martellus Bennett and Delanie Walker have already started trending down, quickly.

In 2012 there were about the same number TEs on pace to finish with typical TE2 numbers. Down in 11th place was Jimmy Graham, just behind Jermaine Gresham, Jared Cook, Scott Chandler, and Martellus Bennett. Care to guess where those guys ended up?

Graham - 1st

Gresham - 11th

Cook - 19th

Chandler - 14th

Bennett - 13th

One thing he's not been so far this year is a dominant advantage at the TE position. He's finished a week in the top 3 once this year. And he'll most likely finish around TE8 or so this week. In my league, he's finished above TE6 1 time this year. And over the last 3 weeks Brady's thrown for 9 TDs. Gronk got 1 of those.

Right now, I feel like my 3rd round pick has been a bust. He needs a few weeks of dominance to justify the pick here in the 2nd half of the FFL season.
I went back and looked at what would have happened if a quarterback finished 6th in fantasy points every single week last season (I randomly gave him a week 10 bye). Two things would have been true.

#1- the quarterback only would have topped 30 fantasy points once all season.

#2- the quarterback would have scored as many fantasy points over the course of the year as Drew Brees, 60 points ahead of 3rd-place Andy Dalton.

Would you say that player was dominant or not? I would say yes. Even without a single top-5 fantasy finish, that player was still a major difference-maker for his owner.

If Rob Gronkowski keeps on putting up these ho-hum TE4-6 finishes all year long, and the end result is he's the #1 scoring fantasy TE from this point forward, then I would argue that Rob Gronkowski was absolutely a dominant asset.
He's been #6 once and #2 once in my league. He's consistantly around TE8 or lower. He's had one really good week and has followed that up with 2 very average/below average weeks. And as I pointed out, he's only had 3 weeks of 100+ and a TD in his last 14 games. He needs a few more of them soon.

It's not really about what # TE he is, it's about the production vs. other TEs. So far, I'd certainly say he hasn't justified the draft pick, although I don't think anyone should have expected that by week 7.

He started slowly (which was to be expected), made a nice jump in weeks 5 and 6, and then this week was a bit disappointing. As long as this week isn't indicative of a trend change (and I don't think it is), he'll be fine, although he may not get back to Gronk smash status much this year.

He looks healthier to me each week. Sure we anticipated much more being we took him in the third or fourth rounds, but he could very easily go on a tear for the rest of the season. Outside of Julius and maybe Graham I can't think of a TE I would rather have.

I'm not ready to hold the first month of the season against him where he ran like a tranquilized elephant. Truth is, aside from a healthy Jimmy Graham, there's no other TE I'd rather own moving forward. Yes, I'd rather have him over JT, who is 13th in targets, 10th in receptions and 10th in yards and would have to continue his ridiculous TD pace to merit owning him over Gronk who despite looking like a shell of himself for most of the year is 4th in targets, 5th in receptions and 6th in yards.

OOOOOO BABY!!! I knew this thread would be hot!

GRONK IS BACK!!!

SMASHHHHH GRONK, SmASHHH!!!

**please excuse my one time use of caps.**

Facts.....

1. He doesn't look good (insert any metric you want to, the only thing he has going for him atm is that he's big)

2. He isn't explosive or dynamic as he was previously. He's not "making" plays happen, he's just hoping he's targeted and ball placement is on point.

3. There are no viable threat options to spread out the field to keep defenders from climbing on him like he was a one of the Kardashian girls....

4. Brady has lost a step and can't make the throws consistently (sorry, it's true)

5 He's a "must start" by his history only, He really shouldn't be on the field at all, but Hoodie has no other options.

6. Chicks dig my avatar, and they can't resist my "magic rabbit"....
Yes and no.

He still has 3 TD's in 4 games this season, despite all of that, and given his history and the injury recovery there is no good reason to believe that won't continue.
Still no good reason to believe he won't continue to catch basically 1 TD for every game played.

And still a must start.
I'm happy to have started Gronkowski this week, I can tell that.

Users who are viewing this thread