What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (6 Viewers)

I love how these so called experts have him rated over Graham on this forum, he won't be able to stay healthy in the long term. I have no doubt he will have diminshed value over the coming years as more inuries pile up. I think he is peaking as we speak- how many surgeries has the guy had? oh yea 4-5 and counting?
Please share the names of any other players you are predicting to suffer injuries that will diminish their value.

Sorry, but your post hints are some resentment or bitterness towards Gronk.

I love how these so called experts have him rated over Graham on this forum, he won't be able to stay healthy in the long term. I have no doubt he will have diminshed value over the coming years as more inuries pile up. I think he is peaking as we speak- how many surgeries has the guy had? oh yea 4-5 and counting?
Gronk is just flat out better than Graham. More prone to injury...yes but i can see having either as the #1 guy.

Please share the names of any other players you are predicting to suffer injuries that will diminish their value.

Sorry, but your post hints are some resentment or bitterness towards Gronk.
Staying healthy is a skill- that's a fact. What Gronk is ..isn't Graham

Considering Gronk outscores Graham by about 3pts per game, and is more than two years younger you don't have to believe he'll play every game until forever to be the better player.
And again.. staying healthy is a skill which Gronk doesn't have. Graham is flat out a better player

Considering Gronk outscores Graham by about 3pts per game, and is more than two years younger you don't have to believe he'll play every game until forever to be the better player.
And again.. staying healthy is a skill which Gronk doesn't have. Graham is flat out a better player
Graham gets hurt too. When Gronk gets hurt, he sits and it's usually for a while. When Graham gets hurt he sometimes plays, sometimes doesn't, sometimes produces, might not.

And again.. staying healthy is a skill
Sorry, this is just dumb.

Was Frank Gore unskilled when he tore two ACLs before 21? Or is he skilled now that he's played like 10 years without a major injury?

Does "Fragile Fred" or the 32 year old stud define Fred Taylor's level of skill in "staying healthy"?

Etc etc etc etc forever and ever with 100s of examples.

I believe I'm the only staffer who has Gronk over Graham. Parsons also did during the preseason, but he moved Gronk down a spot during his slow start.

Also, it's not like Graham has been the picture of health. He had lingering ankle injuries as a rookie, had his effectiveness dramatically limited by a wrist injury in 2012 that, iirc, required surgery after the season, his amazing season was derailed by a case of plantar fasciitis last year, and a shoulder injury earlier this year hurt his numbers (and allowed Gronk to roar back in front of him in total fantasy points).

So Graham has a pretty long history of getting dinged up, and perhaps worse, of allowing those nicks and scrapes to substantially impact his production. Gronk might have had more serious injuries, but we also have a lot of evidence that he can play through small injuries better than Graham, and based on what we've seen his healing ability is borderline superhuman.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe I'm the only staffer who has Gronk over Graham. Parsons also did during the preseason, but he moved Gronk down a spot during his slow start.

Also, it's not like Graham has been the picture of health. He had lingering ankle injuries as a rookie, had his effectiveness dramatically limited by a wrist injury in 2012 that, iirc, required surgery after the season, his amazing season was derailed by a case of plantar fasciitis last year, and a shoulder injury earlier this year hurt his numbers (and allowed Gronk to roar back in front of him in total fantasy points).

So Graham has a pretty long history of getting dinged up, and perhaps worse, of allowing those nicks and scrapes to substantially impact his production. Gronk might have had more serious injuries, but we also have a lot of evidence that he can play through small injuries better than Graham, and based on what we've seen his healing ability is borderline superhuman.
Graham doesn't have the health skill either.

I own gronk in a dynasty and if someone offered me graham i'd probably decline because of Gronk's higher upside. On the other hand if it was the other way around i'd also probably decline because of Gronk's higher risk of injury - which can't be completely ignored. Taking everything into account it's pretty even and depends on your risk tolerance and maybe the rest of your team.

wdcrob said:
hardcoredx said:
And again.. staying healthy is a skill
Sorry, this is just dumb.

Was Frank Gore unskilled when he tore two ACLs before 21? Or is he skilled now that he's played like 10 years without a major injury?

Does "Fragile Fred" or the 32 year old stud define Fred Taylor's level of skill in "staying healthy"?

Etc etc etc etc forever and ever with 100s of examples.
Sorry but your thinking is dumb and shows how little you understand sports. The difference between healthy and non healthy players is immense. To be able to play a physical sport and overcome injuries is a skill. How on earth isn't it a skill? In your world a supreme talent like D Rose is better than Chris paul.

Adam Harstad said:
hardcoredx said:

Doesn't matter he got dinged up, he still played. The argument about Graham not being healthy is pretty weak, he has missed only 3 games. Gronk will break sooner or later given his history

Doesn't matter he got dinged up, he still played. The argument about Graham not being healthy is pretty weak, he has missed only 3 games. Gronk will break sooner or later given his history
How'd that turn out in weeks 5 and 7?

Probably better than Gronk owners who drafted him the last few years.

Probably better than Gronk owners who drafted him the last few years.
No it did not turn out to be better. Gronk was out so you started someone else. Graham wasn't out so you started him and got a zero or marginal points. Since staying healthy is a skill to you: How would Graham have avoided the ACL tear Gronk suffered?

Sorry but your thinking is dumb and shows how little you understand sports. The difference between healthy and non healthy players is immense. To be able to play a physical sport and overcome injuries is a skill. How on earth isn't it a skill? In your world a supreme talent like D Rose is better than Chris paul.
Would be happy to read your research.

hardcoredx said:
He may have more question marks than Graham in the long-term, but some feel this is offset by the fact that Graham isn't even in Gronkowski's league, when healthy (nobody is or, at the position, ever has been).

He's just playing at an entirely different level than anyone else out there. Graham makes tough catches, but Gronk makes tough catches, shrugs a tackle, tightropes the sideline, stiffarms another guy, and does some sort of crazy hurdle / shoulder charge into the endzone. And the best part is he's smiling the whole time. Love to watch this guy play!

PLUS the commentators tonight could not stop talking about how good his blocking was for the running game. A full contributor in every play. There's no fantasy points for good blocking, but if there were, Gronk would be even beastlier!

You'd be hardpressed to find a run by a RB that good today, defenders grasping at air, at one point two defenders just flat out crash into each other where Gronk used to be. JimBrownesque.
Gronk is great but that was a really bad display of tackling by the Colts. No way in hell he should have scored there.

Twice last night he took a colts player by the head while trying to be tackled and tried to toss them while still upright and going out of bounds.

I was waiting for him to get a late hit while being the ball carrier... And I would have loved it.

You'd be hardpressed to find a run by a RB that good today, defenders grasping at air, at one point two defenders just flat out crash into each other where Gronk used to be. JimBrownesque.
Gronk is great but that was a really bad display of tackling by the Colts. No way in hell he should have scored there.
it was but he's like a caged tiger that's released...he runs with such strength and ferocity and it's not the first time he's had runs like that so to me it's more that Gronk is a special/insane player at the top of his game and he has this type of ability every time the ball is in his hands. he was basically swatting the guys away like they were annoying gnats.

Gronk taking Sergio Brown 20 yards across the field and planting him was like what happens when a toy poodle that finally gets the Rottweiler's attention.

The Full Gronk was on display again Sunday night at Lucas Oil Stadium.

There was the punishing touchdown run in which Rob Gronkowski spun away from one Colts defender, slapped away two others and lunged through two more on his way to the New England Patriots' final score of the game in the fourth quarter.

And then there was the tongue-wagging dance on the sideline that followed, the tight end displaying moves that were quintessentially Gronk.

But the most notable Beast Mode display arguably came a couple of minutes earlier, as running back Jonas Gray was scoring his fourth touchdown of the game.On the play, Gronkowski lined up on the left side of the line and plowed into Colts safety Sergio Brown, driving him out of bounds into the area where camera operators stand. He finished the block well after Gray had scored the touchdown and shoved him to the ground, earning him both an unsportsmanlike conduct and taunting penalty.

Gronk channeled his inner bouncer in describing the play.

"He was just yappin' at me the whole time," Gronkowski told NBCSN. "So I took him and threw him out of the club."

Gronkowski and Brown have a history, of course.

They were teammates in 2010 and 2011 with the Patriots. Then when Brown signed with the Colts as a free agent in 2012, he was the player who was rushing on an extra point when Gronkowski broke his left forearm.
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4772322/gronk-on-sergio-brown-shove-i-threw-him-out-of-the-club

I saw a screen shot of just him laying there somewhere else. Can't find the link, but it's fantastic.

it was but he's like a caged tiger that's released...he runs with such strength and ferocity and it's not the first time he's had runs like that so to me it's more that Gronk is a special/insane player at the top of his game and he has this type of ability every time the ball is in his hands. he was basically swatting the guys away like they were annoying gnats.
Personally, I loved the last jump into the end zone. It reminded me of the time I hit a deer with my car. It came out of the woods, tried to stop my car and the force of the collision sent it flying back off the road into the woods. That DB made an attempt to keep him out of the end zone and just got run over.

I have graham and Gronks, I'm going to wait for Graham's week 6 bye and then move Gronks in week 7. Week 7 is a sneaky trade date for Gronks
Why is it sneaky?
These are just my reasonings and can be subjected to change barring an injury

1.) Gronk has a bye in week 9, trading him in week 7 people won't factor in the week 9 bye as much as the week 8 bye and you'll get full value for him. If you trade him for any stud that has a bye week 7 and prior, you'll effectively get an extra game while your opponent loses a game. Bonus* trade him to your week 9 opponent this will ensure that you will have a stronger team on that week because no way in hell he has a better T.E than Gronks and if he did, he wouldn't be trading for Gronks. It's like trading a 1:1 in value and getting a free win.

2.) His SoS for post week 7 (post 7 for me because thats my target trade date, it can be anything you want) (except for week 12)

are not great matchups for T.E. Trade Gronk for an equivalent stud and pick up Dwayne Allen who has a ridiculously good schedule for T.E post week 11
:lmao:

Any competent owner will certainly take the fact that he has a bye into account when trading...also if you want a 'stud' in return, the time to trade him is now. As of right now, he is getting outscored by almost all of the tes. A couple more games of this and his trade value will be zero because if you are not getting him to flex him, what is the point in owning him if you have a good te already?

He could still help your team at the end of the season, but you are delusional if you think a person will trade one of his studs in the middle of the season for a guy who is not performing like he usually does.
how does he have a trade value of zero? Why would trading him now when he is gettign outscored by all of the TE and how does he have more value now? How about we trade him later later when hes out of recovery mode. I don't think your method of selling low is the way to go here. No one wants to touch him now unless it's a bargain...

Why would anyone trade their stud if Gronks is performing at a subpar level at week 7? Of course not, but I'm banking on the fact that he will be in better shape at week 7 then he is now, so tell me again why would trading him now will have more value then trading him later? Are you somehow assuming he'll get injured while sitting on the bench recovering?

Ofc a good owner will take bye week that into account, but you only need one out of the other 10+ to accept, usually it's the guy with the underperforming t.e because you know, There's only 3 elite T.E and only two people in my league have them.

yeah of course he can help my team, just like any other studs. But I would rather trade for a stud that have an easier schedule then have one that have a mediocre one, wouldn't you agree?

edit: I am currently flexing him. I got him at his ADP to dry up the TE pool which worked somewhat as 1/3 of the TE drafted where drafted before their ADP by a round
Dude...you are the one talking about trading him. Why the f would you trade him later in the season if he has fully recovered and is producing? What do you think you would get? By the middle of the season, many of the perceived studs have gone down to injury and people are holding onto the ones left like gold. I don't agree that you should trade a fully performing Gronk under any circumstances. I do feel it is a question as to whether he makes it all the way back for a variety of reasons. If you really want to trade him, now is the time. You could still get something good from an owner who has a surplus of rbs or wrs. After today, I would be scared as it is now three weeks of middling performances. I don't care what anybody says, he is not going in the 2nd or 3rd round if people really think he is going average 11 points per game in ppr.

Trade him this week.
I laugh at the "trade advice" earlier in the season telling me to trade him right as he was recovering because he won't have value.

Back to full on Tecmo mode, but I'm still a bit concerned with how long he's going to be able to last playing this ferociously.

Would be happy to read your research.
:goodposting:
It's a shame Graham seemed to lose his "healthy skill" this week.

Really regretting my dynasty startup having started the year following Gronk breaking his arm.

Ended up with a ridiculous TE stable and still envious of the Gronk owner :kicksrock:

Gronk is obviously unstoppable, but the way he fights off tacklers has to worry Patriots fans as well as us Gronk owners. He is impossible to tackle high, so defenders are gonna go low on him as much as they can, and can his legs/knees stand up to another vicious low hit. I can't help but think it's only a matter of time again. But yeah, he is a man amongst boys out there when he is healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread