What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (4 Viewers)

If he is active I start him, every time. I got burned hard on that philosophy a couple years ago with Calvin Johnson and his injury and all that, but I don't think NE puts guys like Gronk out when they are hobbled just to be a decoy...

I have Bennett so I just need to pay attention and make sure I have the right guy in by 5 mins till kick

I'm torn.  Right now sitting him for Virgil Green and Rudolph.

I just don't trust Belichick - maybe giving Houston something else to prepare for the protect his rookie QB - or the rookie QB for that matter but I may change my mind in the next hour... a couple of times.

Debating if I should start gronk or pitta.  I'm actually shocked gronk is playing, I would of guessed he would be out till Brady returned 

I'm torn.  Right now sitting him for Virgil Green and Rudolph.

I just don't trust Belichick - maybe giving Houston something else to prepare for the protect his rookie QB - or the rookie QB for that matter but I may change my mind in the next hour... a couple of times.
Green himself is fairly questionable with an injury, isn't he? I own Green in a league where I own Gronk and didn't even consider starting him.

Debating if I should start gronk or pitta.  I'm actually shocked gronk is playing, I would of guessed he would be out till Brady returned 
Wrong forum, guy.

JK

Start Gronk, flex Pitta?  I really like Pitta this week, but I don't think you can reasonably sit gronk.  This rookie QB will probably throw for 250 yards and two scores. 

Wrong forum, guy.

JK

Start Gronk, flex Pitta?  I really like Pitta this week, but I don't think you can reasonably sit gronk.  This rookie QB will probably throw for 250 yards and two scores. 
I wasn't asking advice, glad your kidding

Green himself is fairly questionable with an injury, isn't he? I own Green in a league where I own Gronk and didn't even consider starting him.
Didn't even realize that. Maybe because I didn't think I'd have a TE decision. To make tonight. 

Thanks for the heads up! :thumbup:

Cowher: "Gronk is ... active today to do one thing, mainly, that is block for the running game - LeGarrette Blount."
Yeah, just heard that.  Seems to be two distinct ways this can go - as Cowher said, or as a quick release valve.   Therein lies the quandary.

Last edited by a moderator:
No way to know if that is true, which means Cowher is just guessing.  The Patriots guard their game plans way too well for someone in the media to be sure of how they are going to utilize a player.

Yeah, just heard that.  Seems to be two distinct ways this can go - as Cowher said, or as a quick release valve.   Therein lies the quandary.
What makes me most worried, is a few minutes before that he said he was talking to BB, and he was told that Edelman, as a backup would be running out of the shotgun, using wildcat, not much throwing. That sounded like BB opened up to Cowher a bit, so maybe Gronk as a blocker is the game plan...

What makes me most worried, is a few minutes before that he said he was talking to BB, and he was told that Edelman, as a backup would be running out of the shotgun, using wildcat, not much throwing. That sounded like BB opened up to Cowher a bit, so maybe Gronk as a blocker is the game plan...
Or BB is spamming BS

Yeah, Gronk is playing just to block.   Right.  

(It's certainly possible he doesn't catch a lot of passes as I'm sure the Pats would love to grind out about 40 Blount carries, but they're not activating Gronk just so he can block.)

(It's certainly possible he doesn't catch a lot of passes as I'm sure the Pats would love to grind out about 40 Blount carries, but they're not activating Gronk just so he can block.)
Why not? A lot less chance for tweaking a hammy, and it could be just the difference they need to squeak out a win.

If a healthy Jimmy was QB tonight, I'd roll with Gronk. Too many negatives in starting him IMO.

I'm choosing the relatively highish floor of Pitta.

Why not? A lot less chance for tweaking a hammy, and it could be just the difference they need to squeak out a win.
Well first of all because I guarantee the discussion wasn't "well let's activate Gronk because even though we're not quite sure if he's healthy enough to run routes, there shouldn't be much chance for reinjury if we just have him block."  

This is where I'm at. Sure. Gronk is a great run blocker and can dictate a lot on the field (who else read the link earlier today? lol) but I just don't see activating him -to block- 

If a healthy Jimmy was QB tonight, I'd roll with Gronk. Too many negatives in starting him IMO.

Leaning the same way, although I just put Gronk in about 30 minutes ago.  I hate flip-floppers!!

I decided earlier tonight to go with Rudolph. I just don't see the Pats being overly successful on offense, and they have other options.

Leaning the same way, although I just put Gronk in about 30 minutes ago.  I hate flip-floppers!!
lol...i just had to walk away because I almost put him back in.

I am staying strong with my belief and fighting the "want some action" play tonight.

IMO...too many red flags to ignore: rookie/raw QB, stud TE coming off hammy injury ?if truly 100%, minimal practice, short week.

high risk high reward.  so the summation: if you have a better/safer option, go for it.

let me add from Rotoworld:

Rob Gronkowski (hamstring) is active for Week 3 against the Texans.

ESPN's Dianna Marie Russini has reported Gronk will be on a snap count, something we would have assumed even without a report. Gronk offers mammoth upside every time he takes the field, but comes with far more downside than usual this week. Aside from being at less than 100 percent, he'll be catching passes from third-stringer Jacoby Brissett. Start Gronk if you have him, but don't expect a No. 1 overall finish at tight end.
seen no discussion recently about the impact of snap count.  sure it could mean he'll be in on 60 plays or 30.  but this is the only mention.  is a <100% healthy gronk, playing on, say 50% of the snaps, with a suspicion of blocking more than running routes still a better start than other options?  that's the question you need to answer.

I remember last time Gronk was on a snap count he didn't do a lot between the 20s and had minimal yardage...... Along with 2 TDs. 

Users who are viewing this thread