Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***** OFFICIAL Rob Gronkowski - taking his talents to TB *****


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I'm not too worried. Week 1 and 5 were good. Week 2 was @ the best D in the league. Then week 3 the Pats looked DOA. They have a game like that every year. Week 4 it was a silly blow out and he was held out to make sure he was good for the short week. I think rest of the season he's going to deliver top 2 TE value. 

Five weeks of meh vs. eleven of outstanding in his field. 

Take it! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Look at your lineup. And then go up against him. That's how you know it hurts.  

For the record, my team with Gronk has Engram as a backup.  I want to believe you guys, but maybe it's because I have him in a .5 PPR. He hasn't scored over 19 points. I'm salivating for the big games, but Brady hasn't looked at him as much in the redzone. Without the TDs he's not as special.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jello_Biafra said:

For the record, my team with Gronk has Engram as a backup.  I want to believe you guys, but maybe it's because I have him in a .5 PPR. He hasn't scored over 19 points. I'm salivating for the big games, but Brady hasn't looked at him as much in the redzone. Without the TDs he's not as special.

So true. Even Aikman pointed out when he was one-on-one with the DB. Just not happening right now. We'll have to see if it's by design, or if he's being called upon to block for Michel, a back like they haven't had in years.  Pats are nightmarish, fantasy-wise right now. So many moving pieces.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, rockaction said:

So true. Even Aikman pointed out when he was one-on-one with the DB. Just not happening right now. We'll have to see if it's by design, or if he's being called upon to block for Michel, a back like they haven't had in years.  Pats are nightmarish, fantasy-wise right now. So many moving pieces.  

Bingo. I forgot the Michel factor. He and White are going to eat up the TDs. One through the air, the other rushing. When the Pats have a good thing going, they keep doing it. Crazy, I know, but that's their philosophy. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jello_Biafra said:

Bingo. I forgot the Michel factor. He and White are going to eat up the TDs. One through the air, the other rushing. When the Pats have a good thing going, they keep doing it. Crazy, I know, but that's their philosophy. 

Yep. And they're averaging over thirty with distribution. It's sick, even if it hurts fantasy teams.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rockaction said:

So true. Even Aikman pointed out when he was one-on-one with the DB. Just not happening right now. We'll have to see if it's by design, or if he's being called upon to block for Michel, a back like they haven't had in years.  Pats are nightmarish, fantasy-wise right now. So many moving pieces.  

I think Gronk, Sony, White and Brady are clear every week starters in fantasy. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I think Gronk, Sony, White and Brady are clear every week starters in fantasy. 

Right now. How to plan for weeks 14-16 is the question, as well as how to get there.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The biggest concern with Gronk used to be, can he stay healthy? 

Now the biggest concern is, will he get targets? 

The Patriots are loaded at the skill positions now, so they don't need to force feed any one receiver on a weekly basis.  It doesn't help that Gronk appears to have lost some quickness.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Hilts said:

Remember when this guy was worth a high pick and a huge advantage over every other team instead of being worse than a ww streaming TE option? 

I never owned him then but I imagine they were fun times. 

I spent 25% of my auction budget in my 16 team league this year.  TE scoring is juiced a bit, but I expected a couple of big games.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A little perspective is due:

Career numbers:
- 4.6 receptions per game
- 70.2 yards per game
- 15.2 yards per reception

2018 numbers:
- 4.3 receptions per game
- 67.5 yards per game
- 15.6 yards per reception

The only thing missing are TDs, which are subject to lots of variance. Gronk is on pace to finish with 69 catches (of course) and 1080 yards. I'm looking to trade for Gronk in all of my leagues based on the reactions in this thread. He's all kinds of undervalued right now. TE6 so far this year with only one TD?  That's exactly the kind of player I want to acquire.

Edited by Workhorse
  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Workhorse said:

A little perspective is due:

Career numbers:
- 4.6 receptions per game
- 70.2 yards per game
- 15.2 yards per reception

2018 numbers:
- 4.3 receptions per game
- 67.5 yards per game
- 15.6 yards per reception

The only thing missing are TDs, which are subject to lots of variance. Gronk is on pace to finish with 69 catches (of course) and 1080 yards. I'm looking to trade for Gronk in all of my leagues based on the reactions in this thread. He's all kinds of undervalued right now. TE6 so far this year with only one TD?  That's exactly the kind of player I want to acquire.

I'm watching him, not a Pats homer (Jets fan) and he looks like Gronk to me. I didn't draft him at then end of the second to be TE6, though, so I think that's the grumbling. You want a clear advantage over guys like O.J. Howard and Vance McDonald every week, and he's not right now. 

(O.J. Howard looked like a beast yesterday, by the way.)

But your point is certainly taken, and accurate about TDs and variance.  

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Workhorse said:

A little perspective is due:

Career numbers:
- 4.6 receptions per game
- 70.2 yards per game
- 15.2 yards per reception

2018 numbers:
- 4.3 receptions per game
- 67.5 yards per game
- 15.6 yards per reception

The only thing missing are TDs, which are subject to lots of variance. Gronk is on pace to finish with 69 catches (of course) and 1080 yards. I'm looking to trade for Gronk in all of my leagues based on the reactions in this thread. He's all kinds of undervalued right now. TE6 so far this year with only one TD?  That's exactly the kind of player I want to acquire.

The TDs are arguably the most important part (and what made him so valuable). For some reason, they aren't even looking his way in the red zone this year- is there reason to believe that's going to change?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, humpback said:

The TDs are arguably the most important part (and what made him so valuable). For some reason, they aren't even looking his way in the red zone this year- is there reason to believe that's going to change?

He's been doubled, sometimes even tripled.  The only difference is their run game is better so they can go there or Gordon even.

I think he's lost a step. He's great when 1 on 1 as you saw on a wide open play where they failed to cover him and then a great 1 on 1 deep route to set up the winning field-goal.  However when he's doubled he's taking a beating with the LB's and SS's and not pulling in the contested passes.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watching Gronk, it's almost like the illegal contact rules don't apply to him.  Looks to me like he's getting absolutely mugged the entire way down the field.  When the ball arrives he's off balance fighting off a defender, and he just kinda throws his hands up at the ball.

Feels like I've seen that play several times in the last few weeks.

He very well may have lost a step, but dragging a LB on your back trying to get out into your route can't help.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/15/2018 at 12:27 PM, humpback said:

The TDs are arguably the most important part (and what made him so valuable). For some reason, they aren't even looking his way in the red zone this year- is there reason to believe that's going to change?

A defenses job is to stop the Patriots, not Gronk.

In the seasons first three games, the intense focus on Gronk I believe affected the Patriots offense dramatically particularly when they totaled 30 points against JAX/DET.  He’s been their ‘go-to’ and first look in that area on the field, so he’s seen a ridiculous amount of attention.

But the last 3 games have seen the Pats shift and, this is important, effectively spread the wealth.  And we’ve seen them average 40 PPG during this stretch.  To your point, the Pats have recognized that defenses are focusing on taking Gronk away, so it feels like he’s not the primary loom down there now.

If defenses are content with the Pats scoring 40, then this focus on Gronk will continue.  But I’m betting opposing DC’s will recognize that the Pats have now successfully transitioned away from Gronk in the RZ, and will be forced to change their strategy as well.  And my thinking is that, this will open Gronk up again in the very near future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/15/2018 at 12:03 PM, rockaction said:

I'm watching him, not a Pats homer (Jets fan) and he looks like Gronk to me. I didn't draft him at then end of the second to be TE6, though, so I think that's the grumbling. You want a clear advantage over guys like O.J. Howard and Vance McDonald every week, and he's not right now. 

(O.J. Howard looked like a beast yesterday, by the way.)

But your point is certainly taken, and accurate about TDs and variance.  

I agree, he looks fine. I am not worried at all. While TE6 is disappointing, it is nice not having to worry about the position because TE is an absolutely #### show. 

On 10/15/2018 at 12:27 PM, humpback said:

The TDs are arguably the most important part (and what made him so valuable). For some reason, they aren't even looking his way in the red zone this year- is there reason to believe that's going to change?

I can think of 77 reasons why he will get TDs as the season goes on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:55 AM, Workhorse said:

A little perspective is due:

Career numbers:
- 4.6 receptions per game
- 70.2 yards per game
- 15.2 yards per reception

2018 numbers:
- 4.3 receptions per game
- 67.5 yards per game
- 15.6 yards per reception

The only thing missing are TDs, which are subject to lots of variance. Gronk is on pace to finish with 69 catches (of course) and 1080 yards. I'm looking to trade for Gronk in all of my leagues based on the reactions in this thread. He's all kinds of undervalued right now. TE6 so far this year with only one TD?  That's exactly the kind of player I want to acquire.

Great post. 

Sometimes it just takes some perspective. I don't believe Gronk has lost anything. He never was super-athletic as far as a traditional elite athlete.

He's simply a great football player, who's big, strong, has great hands, plus athleticism, & decent speed. It all adds up.

More weapons will likely eventually help him & I could see Gronk going on a major tear this season.

It's probably only a matter of time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, TheDirtyWord said:

A defenses job is to stop the Patriots, not Gronk.

In the seasons first three games, the intense focus on Gronk I believe affected the Patriots offense dramatically particularly when they totaled 30 points against JAX/DET.  He’s been their ‘go-to’ and first look in that area on the field, so he’s seen a ridiculous amount of attention.

But the last 3 games have seen the Pats shift and, this is important, effectively spread the wealth.  And we’ve seen them average 40 PPG during this stretch.  To your point, the Pats have recognized that defenses are focusing on taking Gronk away, so it feels like he’s not the primary loom down there now.

If defenses are content with the Pats scoring 40, then this focus on Gronk will continue.  But I’m betting opposing DC’s will recognize that the Pats have now successfully transitioned away from Gronk in the RZ, and will be forced to change their strategy as well.  And my thinking is that, this will open Gronk up again in the very near future.

In the past, yes, but not this season (and it's not a feeling, it's a fact). Perhaps/hopefully that changes, but this seems like wishful thinking to me.

40 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I agree, he looks fine. I am not worried at all. While TE6 is disappointing, it is nice not having to worry about the position because TE is an absolutely #### show. 

I can think of 77 reasons why he will get TDs as the season goes on

I can think of 1 why he won't (not predicting that he won't score any TDs obviously, but not what we're accustomed to).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, humpback said:

In the past, yes, but not this season (and it's not a feeling, it's a fact). Perhaps/hopefully that changes, but this seems like wishful thinking to me.

1) Is it fair to say how defense have tried to stop the Pats the last 3 games hasn't worked?

The reason for that from my POV is:

- They've established not only a credible rushing attack, but a dangerous one.
- Integrated two additional weapons in the passing game in Edelman/Gordon.

2) If the above is accurate, can teams try and execute the same type of defensive game plans against the Pats as they might have tried during September...?

As @Workhorsepointed out...Gronk's production from a reception/yards POV is still at career levels.  Perhaps not career best levels.  But he's not Antonio Gatesing.  I'd simply say stay patient. He's not going Julio Jones on us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Need Gronk to be Gronk this week. The matchup is there. They will need to throw.

Gotta think that at this point, the Edelman/Gordon/White/Michel combo is going to open things up for him. A big game is coming, hope it's this week.

This is why it makes sense for the Patriots to feature Gordon. If they can get to the point where Gordon appears to be a serious threat, needing to be bracketed, rolling safeties, whatever... then everything opens up for Gronk to be Gronk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Dizzy said:

This is why it makes sense for the Patriots to feature Gordon. If they can get to the point where Gordon appears to be a serious threat, needing to be bracketed, rolling safeties, whatever... then everything opens up for Gronk to be Gronk.

Or...everyone else to be them. A lot of mouths to feed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, kyoun1e said:

Edelman and James White don't stretch the field. 

Hogan does, but doesn't play all the snaps and in no way can separate like Gordon.

Exactly. You can take away Gronk and live with the possibility that a Hogan may beat you. Not so with a healthy Gordon once he's comfortably working with Brady.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Edelman and James White don't stretch the field. 

Hogan does, but doesn't play all the snaps and in no way can separate like Gordon.

you think this...and it makes total sense but we are talking about the HOODIE......maybe yes, maybe no.

Edited by BoltNlava
sp
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, humpback said:

In the past, yes, but not this season (and it's not a feeling, it's a fact). Perhaps/hopefully that changes, but this seems like wishful thinking to me.

I can think of 1 why he won't (not predicting that he won't score any TDs obviously, but not what we're accustomed to).

I will bet on the 102 game sample over the 6 game sample 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...