What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (5 Viewers)

Regarding the first bolded statement - that's not what I've heard. Did you read that Gronk interview from after his first surgery in college? Sounds like he was laying around playing video games the whole time because he wasn't allowed to exercise.

How do you know what procedure is being done? Unless new information has surfaced since Friday, I didn't think that information was available. Aren't you speculating on the procedure?

And you're also comparing an office worker to an NFL TE? I'm pretty sure if you can sit in a chair at home, you can probably do the same in an office. That sliver of information does nothing to support your opinion.

I don't know, man. You seem to be awfully defensive about Gronk's availability to start the season, especially given the fact that we don't know anything concrete at the moment. Regardless of anybody's experience with back surgery, I'm certain very few of us, if any, have an inkling of Gronk's actual "back-on-field" time table. You're a nurse and I know people who had back surgery. I also have 2 friends who are doctors. Who gives a chit?! Any predictive post is purely opinion and speculative at this point, so to get your panties in a bunch over who is right or wrong seems like wasted energy.
So you are saying I shouldnt speculate when all we have is speculation at this point since we dont have SPECIFICS??? Well, this was 8 wasted pages of a thread then I guess.

I already said 10 times that we dont know any specifics, but if it is indeed a microdiscectomy that would not be a "NEED" for a normal person, then I suppose we will see what happens.

I also didn't "compare" Gronk to an office worker, what I am implying is that he will not be immobile as many seem to think he will be.

In fact, it is an OUTPATIENT procedure, though he likely stays one night since he is the Gronk and will get better healthcare than any of us would.

I also said I didn't think he would be back until like 1/3 of the way into the season, so not like I am sitting her pencilling him into my week 1 lineup. I dont even own him in any leagues. Trying to get him, but people are too smart to sell him low in my leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have washed my hands of this mess and I feel good. Honestly, 2 back surgeries in a 3 to 4 yr span is too much risk for me to swallow... took a low offer but I rather get him off my hands now incase he misses more time and next off-season hes rated around TE5
I went the opposite route with him. I drafted Eifert and am looking to pull another viable option off waivers. Gronkowski is too much of a VBD advantage when healthy. Matter of fact, I am going to send out an offer for him in my other dynasty league right now.
What offers?
my Gronk offseason went as follows

Traded Alf Morris for him when he was needing the 4th arm surgery, thought that was a steal. When the Back surgery was announced I traded him for Hakeem Nicks (was offered a J Charles package but needed a WR badly since Crabtree went down; ended up getting Charles anyway)..
so you made a great trade, then an awful trade. I would prefer Morris over Nicks, and Gronk MAYBE over both together
right, acquiring WR11 for a player that may or may not miss time this season is a bad deal; OK

This smells fishy. He is already signed, what does his agent have to do with this at all? Is this to keep the endorsements going?

He is a blue chipper. I try and get those guys on my roster and let them be who they are. I'll take a risk that he excels because we know he can in a big way.

At least you know he wont show up if he is out, Vernon Davis doesn't show up for half the games he plays in.

If he misses game time do you think the brilliant Belichick has Brady sub in for him on extra points in blowout situations especially?

The other thing to consider is that the Patriots need Gronkowski on the field in January. In September? Not so much. They won't care about your fantasy team. They want to win their own title.
It won't matter to your fantasy roster either when your 1 - 5 while waiting for Gronk to return; your already out of the playoffs by then and just playing spoiler.

This smells fishy. He is already signed, what does his agent have to do with this at all? Is this to keep the endorsements going? He is a blue chipper. I try and get those guys on my roster and let them be who they are. I'll take a risk that he excels because we know he can in a big way.At least you know he wont show up if he is out, Vernon Davis doesn't show up for half the games he plays in.
Vernon is one of the best blocking Te's in the nfl. He always shows up, he's his own enemy statistically because he blocks so well.

This smells fishy. He is already signed, what does his agent have to do with this at all? Is this to keep the endorsements going? He is a blue chipper. I try and get those guys on my roster and let them be who they are. I'll take a risk that he excels because we know he can in a big way.At least you know he wont show up if he is out, Vernon Davis doesn't show up for half the games he plays in.
Vernon is one of the best blocking Te's in the nfl. He always shows up, he's his own enemy statistically because he blocks so well.
Oh he is a good TE in the NFL. Im not talking anything but fantasy points. Gronk has the ability to be better than anyone. He can separate you from your opponent instantly. That is worth the risk.

not sure if if their having the same op but JPP is an amazing freakish athlete who just had back surgery and is now in doubt for week 1 and will surely get zero camp before the season starts.

Giants RE Jason Pierre-Paul underwent back surgery Tuesday.
Pierre-Paul was criticized for being out of shape during a disappointing 2012 season that saw him post just 66 tackles and 6.5 sacks. Perhaps his chronic back issues were the culprit. He'll start training camp on PUP, but the belief is that he will be ready for Week 1. After letting Osi Umenyiora walk in free agency, the Giants desperately need a healthy Pierre-Paul. Mathias Kiwanuka and rookie Damontre Moore are next up on the depth chart opposite Justin Tuck.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on SportsCenter Tuesday that Giants RE Jason Pierre-Paul's Week 1 status is a "guessing game," and his timetable has been set at "approximately 12 weeks."
Week 1 is in just over 12 weeks, so Pierre-Paul is in a similar boat to Rob Gronkowski, without the four offseason arm surgeries, of course. But their timetables are similar. Pierre-Paul won't participate in any preseason games, and he may well not get in a single meaningful training camp practice. It's a huge concern for the Giants' defense, which plummeted to 31st in the 2012 NFL rankings. We're a bit surprised Perry Fewell kept his job.

Rotoworld:

The Patriots hold a $10 million option bonus on Rob Gronkowski following the 2015 season.
In light of Gronkowski's latest back woes, his long-term status has come into question. The Patriots gave him an eight-year, $55.23 million contract a year ago, but could easily get out of 2016-19. It's a nugget for Dynasty owners to file away as Gronkowski awaits his upcoming microdiscectomy and subsequent three-month rehab.

Source: ESPN Boston

Rotoworld:

The Patriots hold a $10 million option bonus on Rob Gronkowski following the 2015 season.
In light of Gronkowski's latest back woes, his long-term status has come into question. The Patriots gave him an eight-year, $55.23 million contract a year ago, but could easily get out of 2016-19. It's a nugget for Dynasty owners to file away as Gronkowski awaits his upcoming microdiscectomy and subsequent three-month rehab.

is that confirmed?

Rotoworld:

is that confirmed?
The Boston media has been reporting this as fact for weeks now. However, the national media has not been as quick to reflect that and instead keeps saying if this, if that, maybe this, maybe that, it might not be so bad, etc.

They don't have to put him on PUP, right? If they think he can come back week 3 or 4, they can burn the 1 roster spot, right? He's important enough to that offense for them to consider doing that, I'd think.

They don't have to put him on PUP, right? If they think he can come back week 3 or 4, they can burn the 1 roster spot, right? He's important enough to that offense for them to consider doing that, I'd think.
Any player can remain active and take up a spot on a team's 53-man roster if they so choose.

Rotoworld:

is that confirmed?
The Boston media has been reporting this as fact for weeks now. However, the national media has not been as quick to reflect that and instead keeps saying if this, if that, maybe this, maybe that, it might not be so bad, etc.
Thanks, I think thats the view that most FBGers have

Rotoworld:

is that confirmed?
David, did that originate with the interview with the surgeon or was it being reported as 12 weeks beforehand?

I don't recall seeing anything other than 'concurrent recovery with the arm, but not as long as the recovery from arm surgery' until that article came out.

I'm sure the surgeon knows what he's talking about if he's right about what sort of surgery is being performed. But as far as I can tell no one knows that yet.

As I mentioned when it came out, the Boston Globe had a lengthy article that was THE STORY when it was published on Gronk needing a microdisectomy a couple of weeks ago. They interviewed another surgeon that has performed a zillion similar procedures, and he said that procedure required a minimum of 12 weeks to get back to anything substantive on a football field, no exceptions, not even for a world class athlete. His perspective was that Gronk could get to what would amount to light duty practice after 12 weeks and move on from there. His opinion was that it would take longer than that to be able to get to full contact and in football shape, thus prompting the Globe to suggest that a trip to the regular season PUP list was the likely outcome of the (still pending) June surgery. The Globe then went on to outline why that would be a good idea and suggested that the Pats needed a healthy Gronk later in the season and him rushing back, not being 100%, or at risk of re-injury to whatever was ailing him would end up hurting NE more than him missing 1/3 or half of the season.

Unfortunately, that lengthy article never made it on-line anywhere. It was a print edition exclusive (apparently newspaper companies still try to sell actual papers these days). Other places have bought into the microdisectomy as being the procedure Gronk needs. While not on the same disc as he had surgically repaired in 2009, that is the same type of procedure he had back then. Again, if that is what he needs, I do not know if there are varying levels of severity that would lend itself to having short term, mid term, or longer term rehab and recovery to get to "game shape."

I cited an article early in this thread from his U of Arizona days that sounded similar in terms of recovery time (start doing things after 12 weeks), and that procedure was performed by the same surgeon that will be performing the new surgery in a few weeks. It did not seem like Gronk had any chance of playing in Arizona's bowl game (13 weeks post surgery) or in any college all star games (probably 16-18 weeks post surgery if he was both eligible and selected to play).

CLEARLY there are competing forces at work here, as there are still places reporting Gronk could be back in time for the start of training camp while others are suggesting he could miss half the regular season. That isn't off by a little bit, that's off by A LOT.

I am generally risk adverse when it comes to fantasy football and play mostly in redraft leagues, so I am EASILY prepared to let someone else deal with the headaches of when he will be available, will he go on PUP, when is he coming back, will he be 100%, will his production suffer, and will he miss more time with re-injury to his list of old injuries or be subject to new injuries on top of that. Bit that's just me and how I roll, others can mange their own teams how they best see fit.

In dynasty formats - now is the time to acquire Gronkowski. His price now has to be discounted and users can point to all the concerns about his back, multiple surgeries and this thread.

Personally I think the risk is worth the reward. Reward being having a true game changer and advantage over every team in your league (excluding Jimmy Graham owners). At 24 years of age - there is still a very good chance Gronk puts these health issues behind him and provides many years high level production.

Time to buy.

In dynasty formats - now is the time to acquire Gronkowski. His price now has to be discounted and users can point to all the concerns about his back, multiple surgeries and this thread.

Personally I think the risk is worth the reward. Reward being having a true game changer and advantage over every team in your league (excluding Jimmy Graham owners). At 24 years of age - there is still a very good chance Gronk puts these health issues behind him and provides many years high level production.

Time to buy.
Been trying. I am in 5 dynasty leagues, I do not own him in any. Unfortunately, NONE of the 5 owners are willing to discount him at all.

Rotoworld:

The Boston Herald considers Rob Gronkowski's upcoming back operation "likely" to force him to miss regular season games.
It's not a sourced report from beat writer Jeff Howe, but an informed guess. Going under the knife later this month, Gronk is expected to require somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-12 weeks of recovery time. If your league is drafting early, it's hard to see the upside in making Gronk a first-round pick.

Source: Boston Herald

Just how long is it going to be before he has this surgery? For some reason it seemed like he was going to have it by now. The clock on that recovery time just keeps ticking.

Just how long is it going to be before he has this surgery? For some reason it seemed like he was going to have it by now. The clock on that recovery time just keeps ticking.
Needed time to recover from the arm surgery, and to make sure further infection didn't pop up from it. You can't just have surgery after surgery in short amounts of time.

However........................has ANYONE in the past month or so actually expected Gronk to play week 1??? I don't think any news coming out that he will or will likely miss regular season games is anything new. Just confirmation on what we already know.

I expect him back say............................week 7. He may play before that, but for value purposes that is about the week I project I would actually put him in my lineup.

Needed time to recover from the arm surgery, and to make sure further infection didn't pop up from it. You can't just have surgery after surgery in short amounts of time.

However........................has ANYONE in the past month or so actually expected Gronk to play week 1??? I don't think any news coming out that he will or will likely miss regular season games is anything new. Just confirmation on what we already know.

I expect him back say............................week 7. He may play before that, but for value purposes that is about the week I project I would actually put him in my lineup.
I lot depends on what the Pats do with him. If he stars the year on the regular season PUP list, he can't do anything until after the first 6 weeks of the year (in this case missing a minimum of 5 games). From there, the team would have basically 3 weeks to activate him. He couldn't practice while on PUP either. So it's no out of the question that he could miss half the season. Not saying that's what will happen, only that that is one of the options.

I lot depends on what the Pats do with him. If he stars the year on the regular season PUP list, he can't do anything until after the first 6 weeks of the year (in this case missing a minimum of 5 games). From there, the team would have basically 3 weeks to activate him. He couldn't practice while on PUP either. So it's no out of the question that he could miss half the season. Not saying that's what will happen, only that that is one of the options.
Yes I know, just saying from the standpoint of whether I trade for him or not...................I am doing it under my own personal assumption he would be in my lineup week 7. Could be a little earlier, could be a little later depending on some factors...............but that is simply my personal target of when he will be Gronkin it up out there.

I don't expect him to play Week 1.But I trust the opinion of the player and his agent at least as much as I do one surgeon with absolutely no access to the case. So it wouldn't surprise me if he's available Week 1 either.

He'll definitely miss the early part of the season. TE2 is now Tebow's job to lose.

I don't expect him to play Week 1.But I trust the opinion of the player and his agent at least as much as I do one surgeon with absolutely no access to the case. So it wouldn't surprise me if he's available Week 1 either.
I never have, nor ever will, trust anything a player or agent says about anything.

How about the opinion of THE ACTUAL surgeon who will be performing the surgery? He performed the same surgical procedure on Gronk in 2009 and Gronk was not allowed to get on the field for a full 3 months. Now I grant you that it could be less severe than the last procedure, but it doesn't sound like there are degrees of difficulty or levels of recovery. It just sounds like 12 weeks from anything I have read.

And I am not buying the story that the whole back surgery was really an elective procedure that he's only having because of the down time with the arm. That whole thing sounds like propaganda to me. I bet he needed the back independently, but his agent spin doctored it to be this mild, tame, elective thing when in reality it's a stand alone procedure that he pretty much needed.

How about the opinion of THE ACTUAL surgeon who will be performing the surgery? He performed the same surgical procedure on Gronk in 2009 and Gronk was not allowed to get on the field for a full 3 months. Now I grant you that it could be less severe than the last procedure, but it doesn't sound like there are degrees of difficulty or levels of recovery. It just sounds like 12 weeks from anything I have read.

And I am not buying the story that the whole back surgery was really an elective procedure that he's only having because of the down time with the arm. That whole thing sounds like propaganda to me. I bet he needed the back independently, but his agent spin doctored it to be this mild, tame, elective thing when in reality it's a stand alone procedure that he pretty much needed.
I think his back surgery is considered "elective". Does he need it to play football?? Yes probably. But would the general public get this procedure?? Only if it disrupting their every day functioning. You can't just go to the doctor and request back surgery.

And it is hard to go by what people are saying about this, doctors or not, because we do not have exact specific information. But when you say there are not degrees of difficulty or levels of recovery, that is false. If it is in fact a microdiscectomy, that does not mean it is exactly the same as his last microdiscectomy in terms recovery. It could be several weeks or months difference in recovery. COULD be, not saying it is, since I dont have specifics.

But from all the info I do have, and knowing what I know.....................I am forming my opinion that if I owned him, he would play for me week 7 (in terms of how I value him).

How about the opinion of THE ACTUAL surgeon who will be performing the surgery? He performed the same surgical procedure on Gronk in 2009 and Gronk was not allowed to get on the field for a full 3 months. Now I grant you that it could be less severe than the last procedure, but it doesn't sound like there are degrees of difficulty or levels of recovery. It just sounds like 12 weeks from anything I have read. And I am not buying the story that the whole back surgery was really an elective procedure that he's only having because of the down time with the arm. That whole thing sounds like propaganda to me. I bet he needed the back independently, but his agent spin doctored it to be this mild, tame, elective thing when in reality it's a stand alone procedure that he pretty much needed.
Fair enough -- I'm not arguing with you. If there's no differing levels of severity (as has been stated) then obviously Gronk and Rosenhaus are lying.I don't know enough to make that call, but it's not clear what they'd gain. If it's really 12 weeks of total inactivity it will be pretty obvious well before the season starts that he won't be ready Week 1 -- no one will be fooled.

How about the opinion of THE ACTUAL surgeon who will be performing the surgery? He performed the same surgical procedure on Gronk in 2009 and Gronk was not allowed to get on the field for a full 3 months. Now I grant you that it could be less severe than the last procedure, but it doesn't sound like there are degrees of difficulty or levels of recovery. It just sounds like 12 weeks from anything I have read. And I am not buying the story that the whole back surgery was really an elective procedure that he's only having because of the down time with the arm. That whole thing sounds like propaganda to me. I bet he needed the back independently, but his agent spin doctored it to be this mild, tame, elective thing when in reality it's a stand alone procedure that he pretty much needed.
Fair enough -- I'm not arguing with you. If there's no differing levels of severity (as has been stated) then obviously Gronk and Rosenhaus are lying.I don't know enough to make that call, but it's not clear what they'd gain. If it's really 12 weeks of total inactivity it will be pretty obvious well before the season starts that he won't be ready Week 1 -- no one will be fooled.
Rosenhaus prob owns him in a couple fantasy leagues he's in. So my guess is he waits until he's able to unload him and then comes out with the news Gronk's out until week 8.

According to this article in the Boston Globe from two days ago, the 12 weeks quoted time includes getting back in shape:

"The generally accepted recovery period after surgery is 12 weeks — six to let the scar heal, and another six to get back into football shape. Gronkowski likely won’t be allowed to do so much as lift a 5-pound dumbbell until the end of July, at the earliest."

I think the Patriots give him at least an extra month, given his importance to the team long-term. That puts Gronk on the field and in game shape at the end of September / early October. Week 5 return.

Rotoworld:

Rob Gronkowski will undergo back surgery Tuesday in Los Angeles.
The recovery time is expected to be 12 weeks; six weeks of rest and six to rebuild strength and resume conditioning. 12 weeks -- or 84 days -- from Tuesday, June 18 would be September 10. The Patriots visit the Bills on September 8, so obviously Gronkowski is going to be in a race to play the opener. Most likely, he won't make it. Gronkowski will open training camp on the active/PUP list. It's not out of the question that he'll stay there for the first six games of the season, although that decision is not imminent. We'll get a better feel for Gronkowski's likely return date in weeks 9-11 of the 12-week recovery.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

This is potentially devastating news for their PATs!!! Who on Earth could replace the Gronk in a 30 point blowout to get it to 31???

Take your medicine, Belichick!

I like how not much has changed news wise but now FF owners are realizing that he'll more than likely be PUP for the 1st 6.

Has all the talent in the world ( a bit of a 5 cent head).....but this guys made of paper. Some guys are just like that though........Let a guppy reach for him. Be a shark and go for Hernandez.

Has all the talent in the world ( a bit of a 5 cent head).....but this guys made of paper. Some guys are just like that though........Let a guppy reach for him. Be a shark and go for Hernandez.
I understand downgrading Gronk due to his injury risk, but history has proven that Henandez is even more of a china doll.

3 year regular season

Gronk: 43 games

Hernandez: 38 games

Graham: 46 games

Edited:

"Let a guppy reach for him. Be a shark and go for Graham."

You guys are acting like Gronk is just going to sit around and drink beer during his rehab from back surgery. The dude isn't going to turn into mush and forget how to catch a football after 10 weeks. He'll probably be doing light exercise and once he's recovered, he'll be back up to speed in no time. These are world-class atheletes we're talking about, not your average FBG.
My buddy recently had this surgery and wasn't allowed to jog/run or lift anything over 20 lbs for almost 3 months. It took a long time before he could even twist around all the way. My friend isn't a world class athlete, but he was in pretty good shape. With back stuff, I'm not sure that being a world-class athlete means a whole lot other than their recovery time may be quicker. I seriously doubt he'll be allowed to lift much at all for quite a while. Pretty much any exercise at all involves the back muscles or putting strain on the spine. My bet is that he won't be able to do almost any exercise for at least a month and then just very light exercise for 2-4 weeks after that at minimum.
Comparing Joe Schlub, your buddy, to Gronk, a world class athlete being paid millions to focus solely on rehabbing, is hilarious.Sometimes I think you guys are delusional.

You guys are acting like Gronk is just going to sit around and drink beer during his rehab from back surgery. The dude isn't going to turn into mush and forget how to catch a football after 10 weeks. He'll probably be doing light exercise and once he's recovered, he'll be back up to speed in no time. These are world-class atheletes we're talking about, not your average FBG.
My buddy recently had this surgery and wasn't allowed to jog/run or lift anything over 20 lbs for almost 3 months. It took a long time before he could even twist around all the way. My friend isn't a world class athlete, but he was in pretty good shape. With back stuff, I'm not sure that being a world-class athlete means a whole lot other than their recovery time may be quicker. I seriously doubt he'll be allowed to lift much at all for quite a while. Pretty much any exercise at all involves the back muscles or putting strain on the spine. My bet is that he won't be able to do almost any exercise for at least a month and then just very light exercise for 2-4 weeks after that at minimum.
Comparing Joe Schlub, your buddy, to Gronk, a world class athlete being paid millions to focus solely on rehabbing, is hilarious.Sometimes I think you guys are delusional.
It works both ways, though. Joe Schlub may not recover as quickly . . . but Joe Schlub also doesn't have to prepare to be mauled by 300 lbs defensive linemen and LB looking to annihilate someone. Gronk will have farther to go to get in shape than John Q. Public.

And speaking of Gronk, he broke his arm in November and has had multiple surgeries since then. By the time his 12 weeks are up post back surgery, it will have been 10 months since his initial arm injury. I'm guessing he'll be well behind the 8 ball in terms of being in shape and football ready, as it's unlikely he was able to do much lifting , he will have missed minicamp, OTAs, and training camp, and otherwise has not been able to anything football related.

At this point, I would be very surprised if he came back from his 12-week break and immediately suited up and got into the heat of battle AND did very well. Maybe he will make a go of it and try to rush back, but even if he does I'm thinking he will not be the same Gronk initially. IMO, Gronk won't start putting up elite fantasy numbers until mid-season, provided of course, he stays healthy.

Not touching this guy with a 10-foot pole in redrafts. Someone else can have him. I draft with a bunch of Pats homers, so he's going to go too high for my liking whether he's healthy or not.

(cool story bro)

Come to papa...

He's already going in the 5th or 6th round of the 10 Team Yahoo Pro Leagues. I wonder how much further he'll slip on this news? It's obviously a risk, but I'll be going after him in a few of my early drafts and backing him up with Olsen/Cook/Finley. I have a feeling his value is at an all time low right now.

helix said:
Thunderlips said:
I understand downgrading Gronk due to his injury risk, but history has proven that Henandez is even more of a china doll.

3 year regular season

Edited:

It isn't even injury risk at this point, it is multiple surgeries and the fact he won't be ready to start the year and it's difficult to even put a timetable on when he may return to 100%.

helix said:
Thunderlips said:

3 year regular season

Edited:

I can respect that.

Graham should be a bit higher than Hernandez though. To me, Hernandez's ADP is better suited for Higher Risk/High Reward. Of course, with Gronks news...I'm sure Hernandez's ADP will go higher.

It works both ways, though. Joe Schlub may not recover as quickly . . . but Joe Schlub also doesn't have to prepare to be mauled by 300 lbs defensive linemen and LB looking to annihilate someone. Gronk will have farther to go to get in shape than John Q. Public.

And speaking of Gronk, he broke his arm in November and has had multiple surgeries since then. By the time his 12 weeks are up post back surgery, it will have been 10 months since his initial arm injury. I'm guessing he'll be well behind the 8 ball in terms of being in shape and football ready, as it's unlikely he was able to do much lifting , he will have missed minicamp, OTAs, and training camp, and otherwise has not been able to anything football related.

At this point, I would be very surprised if he came back from his 12-week break and immediately suited up and got into the heat of battle AND did very well. Maybe he will make a go of it and try to rush back, but even if he does I'm thinking he will not be the same Gronk initially. IMO, Gronk won't start putting up elite fantasy numbers until mid-season, provided of course, he stays healthy.
Fair enough. But how much does Joe Schlub's wife weigh?

The updates keep getting a little worse

ESPN's Ed Werder reported on SportsCenter Monday that the Patriots legitimately do not know when Rob Gronkowski will return from back surgery.
"The fact is the Patriots really don't know when he's gonna come back," Werder stated. The Pats will have a better feel once Gronk's back operation is performed Tuesday, but Werder reports Bill Belichick has prepared "many contingencies," and noted New England is currently carrying a league-high seven tight ends on its 90-man roster. Gronkowski will open camp on the PUP list, and we suspect he may stay there into the regular season.

ESPN's Ed Werder reported on SportsCenter Monday that the Patriots legitimately do not know when Rob Gronkowski will return from back surgery.
"The fact is the Patriots really don't know when he's gonna come back," Werder stated. The Pats will have a better feel once Gronk's back operation is performed Tuesday, but Werder reports Bill Belichick has prepared "many contingencies," and noted New England is currently carrying a league-high seven tight ends on its 90-man roster. Gronkowski will open camp on the PUP list, and we suspect he may stay there into the regular season.
IMO, the updates are now shifting to what the initial reports seemed to indicate all along. It's just that some media outlets were painting a rosier story then the reality seemed to indicate. I don't think anything you posted would be considered new news (or unexpected).

IMO, the updates are now shifting to what the initial reports seemed to indicate all along. It's just that some media outlets were painting a rosier story then the reality seemed to indicate. I don't think anything you posted would be considered new news (or unexpected).
yeah, honestly won't know much until the op is complete and the initial healing begins. Doesn't matter to me since I cashed in my chips and got a top 10 WR in return.

Users who are viewing this thread