What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (2 Viewers)

ESPN's Mike Reiss reports Rob Gronkowski has no plans to return to football this year.

Even so, Gronk wouldn't rule out the possibility of returning in the future. "I wouldn't say 'never coming back,'" he told ESPN on Tuesday. "I'm 30 years old. I'm young. I still stay fit, still watch the game whenever I can, still enjoy it. I'm feeling good, but you know, one year off could possibly be the case. Or maybe two years off, man." Gronkowski ultimately has until November 30 at 4 PM ET to decide his fate for this year, but his on-screen job for FOX will likely keep him entertained until 2020. He also recently announced plans to host a business-based Super Bowl party in Miami prior to the big game. Gronk seems truly happy in his post-football life, making it less and less likely he'll return to the field anytime soon.

SOURCE: ESPN

Nov 19, 2019, 11:42 AM ET

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think any of this precludes Gronk from playing this season.  He is going to want to maximize his salary if he does come back.  The only way to do that is to make them think you aren't coming back.

I don't think any of this precludes Gronk from playing this season.  He is going to want to maximize his salary if he does come back.  The only way to do that is to make them think you aren't coming back.
Gronk has 11 days to get on the NE roster. The Patriots are under no obligation to pay him more than the contract he had (and passed on playing this year). He is probably 40 pounds lighter than his playing weight and is not in game shape. It would probably take him a month to get in good enough condition to play (and he would probably have to be a WR). IMO, if he wanted to come back this year, he needed to start the process 4-6 weeks ago.

Complete ####-move for Gronk to advertise a "big announcement", a hint at a comeback,  and then announce that he's having a party and selling tickets.
People should know better by now. He has pulled this maneuver multiple times. We knew nothing was happening when BB was asked about Gronk's upcoming "big announcement" and Bill deadpanned his phone would be blowing up. "I'm sure my phone will be ringing off the hook, all the alerts I have on it. I'm sure it will be going crazy."

Thought I'd update this per Ryan Satin of WWE backstage (show on fox sports) Gronk is finalizing a deal with WWE. He is good buddies with wrestler Mojo Rawley AKA Dean Muhtadi former DL for University of Maryland now in WWE. Gronk made an appearance in WWE at Wrestlemania awhile back to help Rawley win a battle royal on the pre show. It was a pretty big highlight of that night for a few reasons but one was the fact someone didn't tell two of the security guards ring side he was part of the show and when he first jumped the Barrier they tried to hold him back (The poor SOBs keyword here being TRIED) but thankfully others jumped in and informed them its all part of the show. 

Could be interesting to see what Gronk does. He's also good friends with Paul Levesque AKA HHH. 

On the Andy Cohen Show Tuesday, Rob Gronkowski said he's "not totally done" playing football.

"I'm feeling good right now, I'm happy where I'm at," Gronkowski said on potentially returning to the league. "You just never know, man. You just never know. I'm not totally done...but I gotta get that feeling back." Even in retirement, 30-year-old Gronkowski has never fully committed to stepping away, insistently leaving the door open at every turn. Having said that, there are far too many hoops to jump — he's still under contract with the Patriots and remains WWE's reigning 24/7 Champion — to consider his return legitimate. Gronk will simply continue living his best life outside of football for the foreseeable future.

SOURCE: Dov Kleiman on Twitter

Apr 21, 2020, 10:48 AM ET

Schefter just now: 

Patriots and Buccaneers have been discussing a trade for retired TE Rob Gronkowski, per league sources. Gronkowski has one year and $10 million left on his contract. But the two sides are, and have been talking, prior to Thursday’s draft.
Rapoport:

#Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski has, in fact, begin putting on weight for a return to football, sources say. He’s ready. He wants to return. And Tom Brady wants him back for the #Bucs, too.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Rob Gronkowski is "interested in playing football again" but has told the Patriots he would prefer to play with Tom Brady and the Bucs. 

The Pats still own Gronk's rights, with one year and $10 million left on his contract. ESPN's Adam Schefter confirms the sides are working on a deal. It is similar to Marshawn Lynch's un-retirement in 2017, where the Seahawks still owned his rights. Gronk retired following the 2018 season but made it clear he had not shut the door on a potential return. He was very transparent in that regard. Amazingly, Gronk is still only 31 in May, but he took an epic beating during the first nine years of his career and appeared a gear slower in 2018. His arrival in Tampa would likely mean a corresponding trade of O.J. Howard, who spent almost all of last season in the doghouse. Rapsheet reports Gronk has been putting on weight in anticipation of a return.  

RELATED: 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Apr 21, 2020, 3:48 PM ET

If the Pats could come out of this with Howard or Brate that would help with the black hole they have at TE.

I can’t help but wonder if limited/no off-season workouts played into this? I believe Gronk the schedule to make $10 million. Why would you pay that when you have Evans and Godwin? In my opinion, Brate and Howard were good enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can’t help but wonder if limited/no off-season workouts played into this? I believe Gronk the schedule to make $10 million. Why would you pay that when you have Evans and Godwin? In my opinion, Brate and Howard we’re good enough.

lol at those stiffs being "good enough" compared to a HOF talent at the position who wants to come play with the GOAT QB who only has a 1 or 2 year window. What a weird take. 

(Howard obviously has potential, I was joking saying "stiff", but even a past his prime Gronk is going to catch more TDs than a prime Howard, if he's healthy enough after a year off)

Over at the Extremeskins forum they are hoping for Trent Williams and a 4th for OJ Howard and a 2nd. Man that would be sweet but not holding my breath. 

Over at the Extremeskins forum they are hoping for Trent Williams and a 4th for OJ Howard and a 2nd. Man that would be sweet but not holding my breath. 
I mean we can hope for whatever we want, it means nothing. 

Howard and a 3rd seems more realistic but they're tight on cap space and still have to sign their draft class, it depends what they do with Gronk's contract if anything.

The other thing is that you don't really need Trent Williams wjth Brady. He has helped lesser OT's go and get paid in FA his whole career by stepping up into a clean pocket and getting rid of the ball quickly. With Brady you need to invest in interior OL help more than OT.

Rotoworld take:

Bucs acquired TE Rob Gronkowski from the Patriots in exchange for a fourth-round pick. 

The Pats are also sending a seventh-rounder Tampa Bay's way. FOX's Jay Glazer reports the soon-to-be 31-year-old has already taken a physical. We learned of Gronk's official desire to return less than an hour ago, but the longtime Pat had never closed the door on returning. After a decade of injuries in New England, Gronk looked many steps slower in 2018, but he still managed a 47/682/3 line in 13 games before going 12/166 between the AFC Championship Game and Super Bowl. His 15.1 yards per reception lead all active tight ends. The ultimate security blanket for Tom Brady, Gronk should be refreshed after his year off. Even if O.J. Howard isn't traded, Gronk will be in the TE1 mix, though he will not ascend to his usual heights with Mike Evans and Chris Godwin around to gobble up targets.  

RELATED: 

New England Patriots

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Apr 21, 2020, 4:25 PM ET

Can you be both ecstatic and devastated at the same time because that is what I am feeling right now.

Carried Gronk since I took him in my FFPC startup in 2012.  Kept him in 2019 to the cut down to 14 position players.  Carried him entire year on the 20 man roster.  Finally gave up and cut him on the March 31st deadline this year to 14 position players.

I have 3 other dynasty leagues where I still own Gronk.  1 league where he has 1 year left and I never cut him off my roster last year.

The other 2 I have a spot for retired players where he has been sitting so I get to make salary cap room and bring him back when the season begins.

I also did 2 of the super early RTS $300,000 championship leagues where I took Gronk in the 20th round just in case last week.

I can’t help but wonder if limited/no off-season workouts played into this? I believe Gronk the schedule to make $10 million. Why would you pay that when you have Evans and Godwin? In my opinion, Brate and Howard were good enough.
What played into it is Gronk is one of Brady’s boys...he has sway with roster decisions and this is one of them.

By the way I think Brady is going to be a great FF QB sleeper this year. Yeah he's old, but has he EVER had the talent to throw to he has this year? Godwin, Evans, Gronk, that's just absurd. 

Users who are viewing this thread