What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (3 Viewers)

Gronk won't catch 70 balls and get 1,000 yards again, but he's still a tank who can make a big difference on the o-line, and Brady is gonna need protection at his age. 

He'll finish as a TE1, but the bar for that isn't very high.  Probably no higher than TE9 if I were forced to pick an exact ceiling.
That's kinda my feeling. With the state of TEs, Gronk wouldn't need a great season to be considered a legit asset.

He also has the potential to flop, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could see him being used a lot as an F TE (slot work, etc.) depending on how much weight he puts on, although, Gronk has been a fantastic blocker (albeit, at a heavier weight).

How did he look bulk-wise at that WWE thing? He's already been putting on weight in preparation for this apparently, it's been in the works.

That year off at a lower weight may have done wonders for his back and body in general. I hope so for the good of the sport, he's just fun and he can add to his HOF candidacy big time. He's "only" 31 if he stays healthy and plays a while longer with Brady in a more...fun-conducive environment if you will.

Gronk won't catch 70 balls and get 1,000 yards again, but he's still a tank who can make a big difference on the o-line, and Brady is gonna need protection at his age. 
I agree with this...my guess is he will be a lot better in real football then fantasy football...his last year with the Pats he was not the same player as far as receiving but his blocking was still very effective...the X factor in all of this is what does the year off from football do for him...he was really beat up when he retired, does the year off rejuvenate his body or will he continue the slide he was on...I think he will be able to contribute but he maybe on a little bit of a pitch count to remain effective for the whole year.

Well, in 2018 the piano on his back looked like it was running with another piano on its back, so...
Yeah, that's why I'm not convinced he'll put on as much weight as people think.

That said, much of his loss in speed could be contributed to injury. I think it's safe to say he's still athletic.

Well, in 2018 the piano on his back looked like it was running with another piano on its back, so...
Even with that, he was still easily a top-10 NFL TE. If he's rejuvenated at all from a season off, he could be terrifying with teams focused more on Evans/Godwin.

By the way I think Brady is going to be a great FF QB sleeper this year. Yeah he's old, but has he EVER had the talent to throw to he has this year? Godwin, Evans, Gronk, that's just absurd. 
Moss, Welker, Stallworth, and Watson were probably better. Of course Brady threw 50 TD's that season so...

Even with that, he was still easily a top-10 NFL TE. If he's rejuvenated at all from a season off, he could be terrifying with teams focused more on Evans/Godwin.
His top 10 2018 season was akin to the Jason Witten top 10 seasons the two years prior - only it also came with questionable and out designations. If you're buying him then it's because you're expecting a return to prior levels. If your expectations are anything like 2018 then there are better dice to roll.

Considering with Cornavirus quarantine going on, it's hard to develop a chemistry with new teammates without voluntary or off-season practice.   The acquisition of Gronk gives Brady another offensive dimension and known chemistry.  Beside, I dont expect Gronk to rack up high yards but at least he'll provide Brady #1 target in RZ. 

Considering with Cornavirus quarantine going on, it's hard to develop a chemistry with new teammates without voluntary or off-season practice.   The acquisition of Gronk gives Brady another offensive dimension and known chemistry.  Beside, I dont expect Gronk to rack up high yards but at least he'll provide Brady #1 target in RZ. 
Brady is one of the best redzone passers in history, he now has the best redzone TE in history, and arguably the best jump ball WR in the NFL. Not expecting a lot of FG's in Tampa. I mean, how do you play them right now. Drop 7 guys into zone and hope they don't run on you?

I don't think there is a lot left.  He will have a couple big games but probably be questionable most of the season.  He will probably hurt you more than he will help you by taking up space and starting spot.  I won't be investing.

Opinions on what you think he's got left?
The last memory I have of Gronk is when the Pats lost on that last second scoring play where Belichick put in Rob who gave up the TD.

I don't remember who it was but I laughed when they said Gronkowski showed the elusiveness of Frankenstein on the play.

Gotta say, he looked really beat up two years ago so... 

Huh? It's likely every long time football player has developed CTE or will just due to the sport...but currently they cannot test for it in living patients so, kind of a reckless statement to make as if it's fact. 
He thinks he had it but he's cured which raises all sorts of questions.  From the same link above.

Is Gronk returning to football because he believes he has cured his own case of CTE? Look, I’m happy Gronk is coming back, but I just want to make sure he’s fully aware of the latest science on brains.
Rob Gronkowski@RobGronkowski  ·Sep 13, 2019

It is fixable. I fixed mine. There are plenty of methods in this world that allow the brain to recover from severe damage. That is also why I would allow my kid to play football.

Chris Nowinski, Ph.D.@ChrisNowinski1  · Sep 12, 2019

.@RobGronkowski I appreciate and respect that you have the guts to talk honestly about #concussions and #CTE. But right now #CTE cannot be fixed- I invite your help in changing that. https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1172207959251783682

The last memory I have of Gronk is when the Pats lost on that last second scoring play where Belichick put in Rob who gave up the TD.

I don't remember who it was but I laughed when they said Gronkowski showed the elusiveness of Frankenstein on the play.

My last memory of Gronk is him completely taking over late in the AFC Championship game, and making clutch plays, while being a dominant run blocker. When he was needed most, he was still unstoppable. 

I'm not expecting a classic Gronk year by any means, but I'm expecting better than 2018. He's healthier, and will attract far fewer coverage. What were still frequent double teams in 2018, will be 1 on 1, and usually with a lesser player, because of the attention Evans/Godwin will get.

I think 50-700-10 is a reasonable expectation if he stays healthy. That is a solid TE1 in my book, and if people are gonna pass on him for guys like Engram, Henry, or Hooper that is their loss. I'd probably put Gronk at TE7 right now. 

He thinks he had it but he's cured which raises all sorts of questions.  From the same link above.

Rob Gronkowski@RobGronkowski  ·Sep 13, 2019

It is fixable. I fixed mine. There are plenty of methods in this world that allow the brain to recover from severe damage. That is also why I would allow my kid to play football.

Chris Nowinski, Ph.D.@ChrisNowinski1  · Sep 12, 2019

.@RobGronkowski I appreciate and respect that you have the guts to talk honestly about #concussions and #CTE. But right now #CTE cannot be fixed- I invite your help in changing that. https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1172207959251783682
 My point is he has never been diagnosed as having CTE bc they can't be sure while you're alive...he just took enough time off that his concussion symptoms finally went away. His brain healed, sure but damage has been done. 

Maybe, but this ignores that it is a different offense. Chemistry is tied to the offense, at least somewhat.

Brady is one of the best redzone passers in history, he now has the best redzone TE in history, and arguably the best jump ball WR in the NFL. Not expecting a lot of FG's in Tampa. I mean, how do you play them right now. Drop 7 guys into zone and hope they don't run on you?
Yes?

Yeah, the answer to that will be a big factor in determining how good he's going to be.

So what’s he worth in terms of rookie picks?  Obviously you’re likely not after him if you’re rebuilding.  But what about a contender weak at TE?

Not sure how this all went down, but Gronk may have done NE a favor. IIRC, once a player notifies the league that he is returning from retirement, his team has 48 hours to activate him. NE could not activate him without freeing up $8+ million  in additional cap space. So they would have had to release him. Instead they got a fourth round pick out of it. 

Not sure how this all went down, but Gronk may have done NE a favor. IIRC, once a player notifies the league that he is returning from retirement, his team has 48 hours to activate him. NE could not activate him without freeing up $8+ million  in additional cap space. So they would have had to release him. Instead they got a fourth round pick out of it. 
Hmmm interesting.  Didn't know that rule. 

But why would he want to hurt his new team by doing so?

Hmmm interesting.  Didn't know that rule. 

But why would he want to hurt his new team by doing so?
How would he have hurt his new team? He would have become a feee agent. He could have negotiated a new deal and signed in TB anyway. Of course, BB could have traded him to the Redskins instead. 

How would he have hurt his new team? He would have become a feee agent. He could have negotiated a new deal and signed in TB anyway. Of course, BB could have traded him to the Redskins instead. 
Wouldn't Tampa be a better team this year with that 4th round pick?

4th round dart throw or the greatest Tight End in NFL history? Hmmmm tough one. 
huh?  That's not what I said.  The two choices laid out were:

Inform the league first, Pats forced to release you, and you sign with tampa.
Inform pats first, they trade you, and you end up in tampa.

Gronk was going to end up in Tampa either way, but seems to have done the Pats a favour by telling them first (and hurting Tampa by forcing them to give up a pick)

huh?  That's not what I said.  The two choices laid out were:

Inform the league first, Pats forced to release you, and you sign with tampa.
Inform pats first, they trade you, and you end up in tampa.

Gronk was going to end up in Tampa either way, but seems to have done the Pats a favour by telling them first (and hurting Tampa by forcing them to give up a pick)
The last thing Gronk wants is a wrench thrown in the plans. A 4th for Gronk and a 7th is nothing. Keep in mind this is the same Bucs GM who spent a 2nd on a kicker. Last year to Bill Sanu was worth a 2nd. 

The last thing Gronk wants is a wrench thrown in the plans. A 4th for Gronk and a 7th is nothing. Keep in mind this is the same Bucs GM who spent a 2nd on a kicker. Last year to Bill Sanu was worth a 2nd. 
lol no I understand that.  I'm just saying that it seems that Gronk did the Pats a favour out of goodwill.  But it hurts Tampa bay (a small amount, giving up a 4th).  I think he ends up in Tampa either way.  This was a great deal for both teams.

So what’s he worth in terms of rookie picks?  Obviously you’re likely not after him if you’re rebuilding.  But what about a contender weak at TE?
Great question and wondering myself. With some Pats homers in my one league (present company included) I expect he'll be gone by the second easily. I could even see someone reaching in the late first. I pick 1.13 and would consider him if I needed TE help but feel ok with Waller/Engram. Seems like he's either a luxury pick for good team picking late first that needs TE help, or he'll go in the early to mid second.

Going to say it now. He simply will not make it through the season. And if he does.....he will be barely effective. When you have a train wrecked back like Gronk.....it's over. Good luck if you are going to trade anything of value to acquire him.

I say......sucker bet. 

The bigger statement is the Pats got a fourth rd pick
They are brilliant. That is why they are always on top. But no more Brady. So who are they going to snag Thursday. Because Belicheat needs a new lead dog. 

Bucs are suckers. Once he starts getting hit hard again and goes down to the turf....he will be on the injury report every week. And he will ask himself....WTF I am doing. 

They are brilliant. That is why they are always on top. But no more Brady. So who are they going to snag Thursday. Because Belicheat needs a new lead dog. 

Bucs are suckers. Once he starts getting hit hard again and goes down to the turf....he will be on the injury report every week. And he will ask himself....WTF I am doing. 
He has a new lead dog already. Stidham. 

Users who are viewing this thread