Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***** OFFICIAL Rob Gronkowski - taking his talents to TB *****

Hilarious that Gronk got a bunch of targets after the attention that his lack of targets was getting. Im sure Brady told his little buddy that he'd throw his way more to help his bruised ego so the media would leave him alone. Poor Gronk.

Edited by Wingnut

2 hours ago, Wingnut said:

Hilarious that Gronk got a bunch of targets after the attention that his lack of targets was getting. Im sure Brady told his little buddy that he'd throw his way more to help his bruised ego so the media would leave him alone. Poor Gronk.

Also possible that he's been rounding into shape in practice, and a breakout is coming, especially with Godwin hurt again.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, travdogg said:

Also possible that he's been rounding into shape in practice, and a breakout is coming, especially with Godwin hurt again.

This sounds a lot like wishful thinking. In PPR leagues. Gronk is currently ranked TE 34. In standard scoring leagues, he's ranked TE 43. At 7.4 ypc, he's only on pace for 315 receiving yards on the season. And he hasn't gotten into the end zone either. By all accounts, he's slower than his last year in NE and is not the player he was 5-10 years ago. Sure, he may have a week with a few catches and might even score a TD . . . but to rely on Gronk or leave him in your fantasy lineup at this point doesn't make a lot of sense.

1 hour ago, Anarchy99 said:

This sounds a lot like wishful thinking. In PPR leagues. Gronk is currently ranked TE 34. In standard scoring leagues, he's ranked TE 43. At 7.4 ypc, he's only on pace for 315 receiving yards on the season. And he hasn't gotten into the end zone either. By all accounts, he's slower than his last year in NE and is not the player he was 5-10 years ago. Sure, he may have a week with a few catches and might even score a TD . . . but to rely on Gronk or leave him in your fantasy lineup at this point doesn't make a lot of sense.

I have him in a couple of leagues and he's on my bench.  Perhaps he was a little rusty and that can get better, but one has to worry about usage.  I was on the brink of dumping him in my dynasty leagues, but I'll hold out as long as I can.

16 minutes ago, Sweetness_34 said:

What do you guys expect from Gronk today? Is he back t at least getting 5 catches a week or so? Especially with Godwin out?

Between 2018 and 2020, Gronk has had 5 receptions in only 4 of his last 16 regular season games. In that time, his combined numbers have been 55-741-3 (and trending the wrong way). So I am not sure "back to getting at least 5 catches a week" really applies anymore. Maybe he will get some more looks with Godwin out, but I am not sure owners can rely on Gronk to be a regular fantasy contributor (currently TE43).

• Like 1

Rob Gronkowski caught 1-of-3 targets for 29 yards in the Bucs' Week 4 win over the Chargers.

Gronk's reception came in traffic, but it was his only one on a day Tom Brady tossed 5 touchdowns and 369 yards on 46 pass attempts. That equates to a 6.5% target share for the future Hall of Fame tight end. Gronk simply isn't as explosive as he once was, but there's a path to TE2 streaming upside if O.J. Howard (Achilles') and Chris Godwin (hamstring) miss time. The Bucs will head north to Chicago for a Thursday night date this week. Gronk is on pace for 352 yards this season.

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

With Julio looking like he wont play, Lazard on IR and Swift on a bye I am looking at flexing Cooks, Keelan Cole, Gronk or Shenault  :X

TB being so bereft of healthy talent makes me think this may be a golden opportunity for the Brady-to-Gronk highlight reel to make one more appearance.  I don't like his outlook long term, but I'm starting him tonight.  Expecting 5-6 catches, 50-60 yard and finally getting off the gronk-smash-TD schneid.  

Rob Gronkowski caught 3-of-6 targets for 52 yards in the Bucs' Week 5 loss to the Bears. 

The 52 yards were Gronk's most of the season, buoyed by his 2020-long 23-yard grab in the fourth quarter. All three of Gronk's catches clocked in at least 13 yards. That's more like the Gronk we know, though he still did not appear to be moving well. With the Bucs' receiver corps likely to be in better health for Week 6, Gronk will remain a low-upside TE2 vs. the Packers. 

- Rotoword

Gronk played 57/71 snaps (80%) but Tampa Bay runs a a lot of 12 personnel so Brate was also equally involved targetwise.

Edited by The Frankman

27 minutes ago, Rubi said:

Always been a fan of Gronk. Like his attitude,they way he plays the game.

But last night he may have been the fourth best tight end on the field. 😟

Yes.  He's washed up, looked like an old man out there.  Dude had a great career and is living the dream but it seems like his body just isn't able to perform at a NFL level anymore.

Edited by Pipes

23 hours ago, Pipes said:

Yes.  He's washed up, looked like an old man out there.  Dude had a great career and is living the dream but it seems like his body just isn't able to perform at a NFL level anymore.

I know he loves the game and all, but at some point he’s gotta think about his long term health. Dude is banged up.

• Like 1

Rob Gronkowski (shoulder) was a limited participant in Wednesday's practice.

Gronkowski is coming off his highest receiving total of the season (52 yards) on six targets. With a long week ahead of Sunday's matchup against the Packers, it would be a surprise if Gronk stays sidelined.

Oct 14, 2020, 8:24 PM ET

What do people think of Gronk as a streamer this weekend?

Tempted to start him, especially as a stack with Brady against a 5th ranked scoring team GB team that TB is going to have to throw to potentially keep up with.

On the other hand, looks as if Brady has all his receivers back this weekend, which may mean thinner target share. 

I thought Gronk in general looked far from his past year's ability and explosiveness, but he has a long history with Brady.

How do you think he fares? Any other streaming TEs you are thinking of instead?

4 hours ago, Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:

I ended up trading for Mark Andrews after going through TE hell. Tried Logan Thomas, Gronk seemed serviceable but with all of their wideouts coming back I didn't trust it.

me too & TE hell is right on.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:

I ended up trading for Mark Andrews after going through TE hell. Tried Logan Thomas, Gronk seemed serviceable but with all of their wideouts coming back I didn't trust it.

That's where I'm at in terms of Evans and Godwin looking like a go, and still having Brate to contend with. But thought Gronk had 7 targets in WK 3 against the Broncos when both those WRs were in. I don't know the circumstances of those targets as it was a blow-out game.

I do know that between other options -- Irv Smith (whose targets are erratic and he has only one big game last week), Fells (steady Eddie 2 targets.gm), Everett (also has erratic targets and between him and Higbee, who knows), Sample (gets targets but not TDs and has a poor matchup with the Colts D) or even Brate -- Gronk at least has some upside with known chemistry.

Just have a hard time trusting he'll deliver.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

That's where I'm at in terms of Evans and Godwin looking like a go, and still having Brate to contend with. But thought Gronk had 7 targets in WK 3 against the Broncos when both those WRs were in. I don't know the circumstances of those targets as it was a blow-out game.

I do know that between other options -- Irv Smith (whose targets are erratic and he has only one big game last week), Fells (steady Eddie 2 targets.gm), Everett (also has erratic targets and between him and Higbee, who knows), Sample (gets targets but not TDs and has a poor matchup with the Colts D) or even Brate -- Gronk at least has some upside with known chemistry.

Just have a hard time trusting he'll deliver.

This is why I just took the plunge and traded for a TE. I'm okay with a lower tier guy but it was real slim pickings out there.

Rob Gronkowski caught 5-of-8 targets for 78 yards and one score in Tampa Bay's Week 6 win over the Packers.

His touchdown was his first with the Buccaneers. Gronkowski rekindled an old flame with Tom Brady, finishing with a team-high eight targets (28.5% share). The 31-year-old has now seen at least six targets in three of his last four starts and admittedly looked like his old self in consistently boxing out Green Bay's linebackers and finding holes in the zone on Sunday. With O.J. Howard (torn ACL) done for the year, Gronk remains a TE2 with touchdown upside — especially if he continues play himself into game shape. Fantasy players can go back to him with confidence in Week 7 against Las Vegas.

Oct 18, 2020, 7:34 PM ET

Wow. That was a pleasant surprise. Is it just me or did he look a little more fluid and fast this week. Made some good catches and looked like he had some juice left. Strong hold for now. Will probably start him over cook next week.

Edited by ahartig

• 2 weeks later...

Rob Gronkowski caught all four of his targets for 41 yards and one touchdown in the Bucs' Week 8 win over the Giants.

Gronk has scored in three straight games, visiting the end zone from three yards out in this one, snagging a ball that was tipped at the line. He's been an easy top-10 TE1 for weeks now but will face stiffer competition for targets over the second half of the season with Antonio Brown's addition and Chris Godwin's return from finger surgery. Gronk gets the Saints in Week 9.

Nov 2, 2020, 11:57 PM ET

• 2 weeks later...

Rob Gronkowski caught 2-of-3 targets for 51 yards and a touchdown in the Bucs' Week 10 win over the Panthers.

This was a vintage Gronk performance despite the low target volume. His first catch was a 44 yard gain where he dragged promising rookie S Jeremy Chinn for at least 10 yards, refusing to go down easily. Overall, Tom Brady showed up and down accuracy, but Gronkowski and Co. erased any missed opportunities with outstanding individual efforts. Five of Gronkowski's last six games include a touchdown and/or 50-plus receiving yards.

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

• 2 weeks later...

Rob Gronkowski caught 6-of-7 targets for 106 yards in the Bucs' Week 12 loss to the Chiefs.

It was Gronkowski's first 100-yard game of the season and 29th of his career. The nine targets also marked a new season high for the hulking tight end. Gronkowski had been one of the bigger losers since Antonio Brown's addition, but A.B. took the back seat in this one, catching just 2-of-3 targets for 11 yards. Gronkowski will be a borderline TE1/2 next time out in Week 14 against the Vikings.

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

On 9/29/2020 at 10:36 AM, Anarchy99 said:

On 10/4/2020 at 11:54 AM, Anarchy99 said:

Between 2018 and 2020, Gronk has had 5 receptions in only 4 of his last 16 regular season games. In that time, his combined numbers have been 55-741-3 (and trending the wrong way). So I am not sure "back to getting at least 5 catches a week" really applies anymore. Maybe he will get some more looks with Godwin out, but I am not sure owners can rely on Gronk to be a regular fantasy contributor (currently TE43).

Hope you're feeling better gb.  Let us know when you're well so we can pile on.

• 3 weeks later...

Rob Gronkowski caught 3-of-7 targets for 29 yards in the Bucs' Week 15 win over the Falcons.

Gronk tied for the team lead in targets but now has 41 yards or fewer in five of the last seven games. He did draw a blatant DPI call in the end zone to set up a Leonard Fournette rushing score on the next play. Gronk will be a TD-dependent TE1 in a glorious Week 16 date with the Lions.

Dec 20, 2020, 5:42 PM ET

• 3 weeks later...

Rob Gronkowski failed to catch his lone target in the Bucs' Wild Card win over Washington.

The last time Gronkowski went catchless in a game was back in Week 2. The veteran has been looking spry since turning into a full-time player in the second half of the season. It's likely a one-game outlier, although he did seem to stay in for pass protection more than normal on Saturday. Expect Gronkowski to be a threat in the red zone next weekend. Tampa Bay is most likely headed for New Orleans.

Jan 10, 2021, 12:06 AM ET

Impending free agent TE Rob Gronkowski would like to re-sign with the Bucs in 2021. 

"Yeah, you gotta," Gronkowski said in an interview on NFL Network. "I feel like this team was built to win right now. ... I can definitely see this team also having a lot of talent come back and having another successful run next year, as well, with me." The takeaway isn't that Gronk wants to remain with the Bucs, but that he wants to play in 2021 at all. A player who is a year-to-year proposition at this stage of his career committing now is unusual. We would assume the feeling is mutual and that Gronk will be back after upping his 2020 play in the second half of the season. 

SOURCE: ESPN

Jan 17, 2021, 2:36 PM ET

Rob Gronkowski caught 1-of-5 targets for 14 yards in the Bucs' Divisional Round win over the Saints.

His missed connections were tough throws and would have required diving, sprawling grabs. Gronkowski is a favorite of Tom Brady in the red zone alongside Mike Evans, but his counting stats haven't been there much this season in a loaded offense. Gronkowski will be a TD-dependent proposition next weekend at Green Bay in the NFC title game.

Jan 17, 2021, 10:44 PM ET

Rob Gronkowski ran 19 pass routes in the Bucs' Divisional Round win over the Saints. 

Cameron Brate, meanwhile, ran 16 routes against New Orleans, out-targeting Gronk six to five. Brate finished with four grabs for 50 yards while Gronkowski had one catch for 14 yards. In the Wild Card round against Washington, Brate ran more pass routes than Gronkowski and commanded six targets to Gronk's one target. Barring a drastic role change in the NFC title game against Green Bay, Brate is the superior fantasy option this week. 

RELATED: 

Cameron Brate

Jan 19, 2021, 9:19 AM ET

2 minutes ago, Sasgaard said:

Gronk is an excellent blocker. This is why he's still in so many plays. He's way underrated in the blocking game. 

Basically another tackle at times. He was taking on defensive ends on WFT by himself in the first playoff game. Great player to have. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Capella said:

Basically another tackle at times. He was taking on defensive ends on WFT by himself in the first playoff game. Great player to have. 

exactly....many people are like....he's done, he doesn't catch the ball anymore. Maybe he is a bit cooked as a receiving TE but if the RBs in TB are that good, it's also because of a great O-line and Gronk is part of it. Those blocks one on one against much bigger guys are pretty impressive if you ask me.

Edited by Sasgaard
  • Thanks 1

Rob Gronkowski caught a 29-yard pass in the Bucs' NFC Championship Game win over the Packers. 

Gronkowski's 29-yard gain on a fourth quarter tight end screen was his lone target. Being asked to bang about as a blocker this postseason, Gronk has taken a pass-catching backseat to Cameron Brate. Gronk will be more name than game as a Super Bowl DFS play.

Jan 24, 2021, 8:19 PM ET

• 2 weeks later...

Rob Gronkowski caught 6-of-7 targets for 67 yards and two touchdowns in the Bucs' Super Bowl LV victory over the Chiefs. 

Connecting for their 13th and 14th career playoff scores, Gronk and Tom Brady took sole possession of the postseason record from Joe Montana and Jerry Rice. The huge night came after Gronk was mostly called on to block for rounds 1-3. Sluggish early in the season and used more as a blocker than pass catcher late, Gronk did the majority of his damage in October and November, where he caught 29 of his 45 receptions. As expected, the 31-year-old did not regain the juice from his glory years, but he remained a versatile weapon up the seam for this loaded, experienced offense. He also finished as the TE8 by total fantasy points in half PPR leagues on the strength of his seven touchdowns. There is nowhere for Gronk to go but down, but he will likely maintain low-end TE1 streaming appeal in 2021 if he’s back with the Bucs. He has said he would like to return.  

Feb 7, 2021, 10:17 PM ET

Rob Gronkowski's Football Plans: 'I'll Remain Unretired"

Buccaneers tight end Rob Gronkowski told the media that he is coming back for another season following Tampa Bay's 31-9 victory against the Chiefs on Sunday in Super Bowl LV. 

"I'll remain unretired," Gronkowski said. "I'm a free agent."

Gronkowski caught six catches for 67 yards and two touchdowns in the Buccaneers' victory. His two touchdown receptions in Super Bowl LV put him at No. 2 all-time for all-time receiving touchdowns in Super Bowls and postseason history. He trails only Jerry Rice (eight) for the most in Super Bowl history.

• 1 month later...