What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (1 Viewer)

I have washed my hands of this mess and I feel good. Honestly, 2 back surgeries in a 3 to 4 yr span is too much risk for me to swallow... took a low offer but I rather get him off my hands now incase he misses more time and next off-season hes rated around TE5

Last edited by a moderator:
Fun fact:

Over the last two years, if you look exclusively at the plays that resulted in a touchdown, Rob Gronkowski has 29 touches for 430 yards and 29 scores in 27 games. That translates to 8.04 fantasy points per game, which would rank fourth over that span behind Graham, Gonzo, and Hernandez. Meanwhile, looking only at the plays that did NOT result in a touchdown, Gronkowski had 117 touches for 1687 yards, good for 6.22 fantasy points per game. For comparison, over the same two year span, Vernon Davis has averaged 6.22 points per game. Rob Gronkowski has averaged nearly as many points over the last two years as Tony Gonzalez and Vernon Davis combined. He's Jason Witten (TE6 in PPG over the last two years), with Jermaine Gresham (TE8) thrown on top for good measure.

Yes, there are risks surrounding him, but is there another player in the entire league who you can say will score as much as two other top players at his own position combined? Other than Calvin and maybe Peterson, is there anyone in the league who will give you a 3 point per game advantage over the second best guy at his own position? When he's been on the field, Rob Gronkowski has been as far ahead of Jimmy Graham as Jimmy Graham has been ahead of Antonio Gates.

Fun fact:

Over the last two years, if you look exclusively at the plays that resulted in a touchdown, Rob Gronkowski has 29 touches for 430 yards and 29 scores in 27 games. That translates to 8.04 fantasy points per game, which would rank fourth over that span behind Graham, Gonzo, and Hernandez. Meanwhile, looking only at the plays that did NOT result in a touchdown, Gronkowski had 117 touches for 1687 yards, good for 6.22 fantasy points per game. For comparison, over the same two year span, Vernon Davis has averaged 6.22 points per game. Rob Gronkowski has averaged nearly as many points over the last two years as Tony Gonzalez and Vernon Davis combined. He's Jason Witten (TE6 in PPG over the last two years), with Jermaine Gresham (TE8) thrown on top for good measure.

Yes, there are risks surrounding him, but is there another player in the entire league who you can say will score as much as two other top players at his own position combined? Other than Calvin and maybe Peterson, is there anyone in the league who will give you a 3 point per game advantage over the second best guy at his own position? When he's been on the field, Rob Gronkowski has been as far ahead of Jimmy Graham as Jimmy Graham has been ahead of Antonio Gates.
"Past Results Do Not Guarantee Future Performance"

Gronk has been a stud and if he stays healthy there's little reason he won't stay a stud. However, in 2008 almost everyone believed Gates was going to continue dominating for many years to come and the toe problem he had at the end of 2007 was no big deal. He only had two more years of dominant-level performance.

If Gronk was only guaranteed to have two more years of dominant performance, I would still pay a decent price for him.

Knowing he could have 10 I will gladly pay a decent amount for him

Just to give a trade that just happened 12 team dynasty 1 PPR Team A gave(league champ): Gronk Team B gave(runner up): Kaepernick, A. Jeffery, VD, Eifert
This is even after Crabtree's injury? That's a huge haul for Gronk either way.
Just traded for Gronk. Now might be the only time you can land him at a semi discounted price.Traded Michael Crabtree (post injury), Jared Cook, Alshon Jeffery, and Rookie Pick 12 for Gronk.I am happy!
You stole him for that. Congrats.
yes, steal

Fun fact: Over the last two years, if you look exclusively at the plays that resulted in a touchdown, Rob Gronkowski has 29 touches for 430 yards and 29 scores in 27 games. That translates to 8.04 fantasy points per game, which would rank fourth over that span behind Graham, Gonzo, and Hernandez. Meanwhile, looking only at the plays that did NOT result in a touchdown, Gronkowski had 117 touches for 1687 yards, good for 6.22 fantasy points per game. For comparison, over the same two year span, Vernon Davis has averaged 6.22 points per game. Rob Gronkowski has averaged nearly as many points over the last two years as Tony Gonzalez and Vernon Davis combined. He's Jason Witten (TE6 in PPG over the last two years), with Jermaine Gresham (TE8) thrown on top for good measure. Yes, there are risks surrounding him, but is there another player in the entire league who you can say will score as much as two other top players at his own position combined? Other than Calvin and maybe Peterson, is there anyone in the league who will give you a 3 point per game advantage over the second best guy at his own position? When he's been on the field, Rob Gronkowski has been as far ahead of Jimmy Graham as Jimmy Graham has been ahead of Antonio Gates.
"Past Results Do Not Guarantee Future Performance" Gronk has been a stud and if he stays healthy there's little reason he won't stay a stud. However, in 2008 almost everyone believed Gates was going to continue dominating for many years to come and the toe problem he had at the end of 2007 was no big deal. He only had two more years of dominant-level performance.
I don't know if Gates is the example you want to go with here. In 2008, Gates had a down year (by his standards- he was still the #4 TE). In 2009, Gates had an amazing season- he set a career high in yards, had the best YPC since he was a little-used rookie, and finished 20th in overall VBD. In 2010, Gates had the best season of his entire career, finishing as TE2 despite missing six games and becoming the second TE in history to top 13 points per game. And he followed that up with a solid 2011, playing 13 games and finishing 7th overall and 4th in PPG. And then last year he finally fell out of the top tier of TEs, but by that point he was a 32-year-old whose quarterback was completely imploding. So, in 2008 people thought that Gates's toe injury from 2007 was no big deal, and he proved them right by putting up a good season, two great seasons, and an historic season before finally succumbing to Father Time at age 32. The toe injury lingered, and Gates missed a little bit of time (10 games in 5 seasons since), but Gates ranks second in fantasy points per game since 2008, behind only Gronkowski. He also ranks 3rd in total fantasy points, just one point behind Jason Witten and 25 points behind Tony Gonzalez. When you count the production you got from your backup, Antonio Gates owners would have scored the most points from the TE position since 2008. Assuming his backup averaged even a paltry 5 points per game in the games he missed, Gates would have produced well over 200 points of VBD since 2008. I'd say that everyone who disregarded his 2007 toe injury has been handsomely rewarded.Interesting side note: I mentioned how Antonio Gates's 2010 season was the second time in history that a TE topped the 13 PPG threshold. Well, Rob Gronkowski has since become the third player to top that mark. And also the fourth player.

Adam Harstad said:
cstu said:
Adam Harstad said:
Fun fact: Over the last two years, if you look exclusively at the plays that resulted in a touchdown, Rob Gronkowski has 29 touches for 430 yards and 29 scores in 27 games. That translates to 8.04 fantasy points per game, which would rank fourth over that span behind Graham, Gonzo, and Hernandez. Meanwhile, looking only at the plays that did NOT result in a touchdown, Gronkowski had 117 touches for 1687 yards, good for 6.22 fantasy points per game. For comparison, over the same two year span, Vernon Davis has averaged 6.22 points per game. Rob Gronkowski has averaged nearly as many points over the last two years as Tony Gonzalez and Vernon Davis combined. He's Jason Witten (TE6 in PPG over the last two years), with Jermaine Gresham (TE8) thrown on top for good measure. Yes, there are risks surrounding him, but is there another player in the entire league who you can say will score as much as two other top players at his own position combined? Other than Calvin and maybe Peterson, is there anyone in the league who will give you a 3 point per game advantage over the second best guy at his own position? When he's been on the field, Rob Gronkowski has been as far ahead of Jimmy Graham as Jimmy Graham has been ahead of Antonio Gates.
"Past Results Do Not Guarantee Future Performance" Gronk has been a stud and if he stays healthy there's little reason he won't stay a stud. However, in 2008 almost everyone believed Gates was going to continue dominating for many years to come and the toe problem he had at the end of 2007 was no big deal. He only had two more years of dominant-level performance.
I don't know if Gates is the example you want to go with here. In 2008, Gates had a down year (by his standards- he was still the #4 TE). In 2009, Gates had an amazing season- he set a career high in yards, had the best YPC since he was a little-used rookie, and finished 20th in overall VBD. In 2010, Gates had the best season of his entire career, finishing as TE2 despite missing six games and becoming the second TE in history to top 13 points per game. And he followed that up with a solid 2011, playing 13 games and finishing 7th overall and 4th in PPG. And then last year he finally fell out of the top tier of TEs, but by that point he was a 32-year-old whose quarterback was completely imploding. So, in 2008 people thought that Gates's toe injury from 2007 was no big deal, and he proved them right by putting up a good season, two great seasons, and an historic season before finally succumbing to Father Time at age 32. The toe injury lingered, and Gates missed a little bit of time (10 games in 5 seasons since), but Gates ranks second in fantasy points per game since 2008, behind only Gronkowski. He also ranks 3rd in total fantasy points, just one point behind Jason Witten and 25 points behind Tony Gonzalez. When you count the production you got from your backup, Antonio Gates owners would have scored the most points from the TE position since 2008. Assuming his backup averaged even a paltry 5 points per game in the games he missed, Gates would have produced well over 200 points of VBD since 2008. I'd say that everyone who disregarded his 2007 toe injury has been handsomely rewarded.Interesting side note: I mentioned how Antonio Gates's 2010 season was the second time in history that a TE topped the 13 PPG threshold. Well, Rob Gronkowski has since become the third player to top that mark. And also the fourth player.
Gates is a good comparison for both the good and bad. Gates in 2010 was still just as dominate as Gronk before he was injured, but injuries finally caught up to him. Do I think Gronk has some top TE seasons left? Absolutely.

He's still a very valuable guy but my concern is whether he's going to produce the astronomic numbers he has the past few years or settle into the top 3-5 range. That makes a huge difference in how much he's worth. He's only 24 but physically he's already taken a toll and in a few years won't have Brady as his QB.

cstu said:
Adam Harstad said:
Fun fact:

"Past Results Do Not Guarantee Future Performance"

Gronk has been a stud and if he stays healthy there's little reason he won't stay a stud. However, in 2008 almost everyone believed Gates was going to continue dominating for many years to come and the toe problem he had at the end of 2007 was no big deal. He only had two more years of dominant-level performance.
Are you comparing a toe/foot injury to a forearm injury? I think the foot injury would hinder someone a lot more for the future compared to a forearm. Gronk is also a workout warrior, Gates was never and I think this is why the injuries continued to pile up and he was unable to play through them.

cstu said:
Adam Harstad said:
Are you comparing a toe/foot injury to a forearm injury? I think the foot injury would hinder someone a lot more for the future compared to a forearm. Gronk is also a workout warrior, Gates was never and I think this is why the injuries continued to pile up and he was unable to play through them.
Forearm injury, back injury and an overall reckless style of play. The problems with his back are far more serious than his arm. I honestly won't be surprised if he out of the league by 30.

Anyone remember Mark Bavaro?

1986 (age 23) - 66/1001/4 (15.2 YPR)

1987 (age 24) - 73/1153/11* (15.8 YPR)

*pro-rated over a 16 game season

cstu said:
Adam Harstad said:
Forearm injury, back injury and an overall reckless style of play. The problems with his back are far more serious than his arm. I honestly won't be surprised if he out of the league by 30.
That still leaves five years.....

Anyone remember Mark Bavaro?1986 (age 23) - 66/1001/4 (15.2 YPR)1987 (age 24) - 73/1153/11* (15.8 YPR)*pro-rated over a 16 game season
Gronk doesn't have a degenerative knee condition.
The reason he fell to the Patriots in the 2nd round was because some teams believed he had a degenerative back condition. He is no having his 2nd back surgery in 4 years. I would be just as concerned about recurring back problems as I would knee problems.

Anyone remember Mark Bavaro?1986 (age 23) - 66/1001/4 (15.2 YPR)1987 (age 24) - 73/1153/11* (15.8 YPR)*pro-rated over a 16 game season
The reason he fell to the Patriots in the 2nd round was because some teams believed he had a degenerative back condition. He is no having his 2nd back surgery in 4 years. I would be just as concerned about recurring back problems as I would knee problems.
i got the feeling that in about 2 yrs he'll be a shell of what he once was

Sure, me too. When he gets the diagnosis - I'll have to take another look at things. But, today, he doesn't have it.

When those claiming he is going to break down are pointing to a completely unrelated injury from 20 + years ago - I think it's a good sign.

I'd love to hear what Dr. Bramel – or anyone else with more knowledge than myself on the matter - has to say about the potential surgery. All I know is that it’s not related to the initial disk and the recovery time will be less than that of the arm.

Sure, me too. When he gets the diagnosis - I'll have to take another look at things. But, today, he doesn't have it.

When those claiming he is going to break down are pointing to a completely unrelated injury from 20 + years ago - I think it's a good sign.

I'd love to hear what Dr. Bramel – or anyone else with more knowledge than myself on the matter - has to say about the potential surgery. All I know is that it’s not related to the initial disk and the recovery time will be less than that of the arm.
So would I. From people I've known back issues tend to get worse over time not better and these people don't have 250 lb. guys trying to knock them down on a weekly basis.

Guess this is confirmation that the infection was truly gone?

Ten days into the recovery with no complications would be good news.

So would I. From people I've known back issues tend to get worse over time not better and these people don't have 250 lb. guys trying to knock them down on a weekly basis.
Despite "back issues" being very vauge, I think that's the case with anything chronic, assuming this proves to be. But I only need to know how it will affect him over a 5-7 year span; not the duration of the issue. As I've said - I don't know much about the issue. But I would need a lot more than what I do have to assume he's breaking down and avoid him - he's been one of the best fantasy players in history.

From what I have read on Gronk's new back surgery, it is not serious and it is unrelated to the injury in college.

Guess this is confirmation that the infection was truly gone?Ten days into the recovery with no complications would be good news.
lol

good news the back surgery means the 4th arm surgery succeeded!

his stock is certainly rising

if we can get a knee surgery to demonstrate his back is ok I'd draft him 1.1

I have washed my hands of this mess and I feel good. Honestly, 2 back surgeries in a 3 to 4 yr span is too much risk for me to swallow... took a low offer but I rather get him off my hands now incase he misses more time and next off-season hes rated around TE5
I went the opposite route with him. I drafted Eifert and am looking to pull another viable option off waivers. Gronkowski is too much of a VBD advantage when healthy. Matter of fact, I am going to send out an offer for him in my other dynasty league right now.

lol

He broke his arm twice, and the second time had complications with an infection. There is some concern there, sure. But the likely outcome is that he won't have issues with it moving forward. So "4 surgeries LOL! He's done!" doesn't seem productive.

The back issue is not related to the initial disk and is reported to be very minor.

lol

He broke his arm twice, and the second time had complications with an infection. There is some concern there, sure. But the likely outcome is that he won't have issues with it moving forward. So "4 surgeries LOL! He's done!" doesn't seem productive.

The back issue is not related to the initial disk and is reported to be very minor.
did I say he was done?

I don't recall saying he was done

saying that another surgery, this one on his back, is GOOD news is ridiculous

a minor back surgery is a concern

on top of the arm issues it is a bigger concern

what it does is make him an interesting pick. IF he shakes this all off and his ADP falls because of the risk, you could really do well

to say non of this is a concern or there is no risk though is foolish or homerism

and back surgery in june, no matter how minor, is NOT good news

did I say he was done?

I don't recall saying he was done

saying that another surgery, this one on his back, is GOOD news is ridiculous

a minor back surgery is a concern

on top of the arm issues it is a bigger concern

what it does is make him an interesting pick. IF he shakes this all off and his ADP falls because of the risk, you could really do well

to say non of this is a concern or there is no risk though is foolish or homerism

and back surgery in june, no matter how minor, is NOT good news
Nobody suggested that a new surgery is good news. Nobody suggested back surgery in June is good news.

Wdcrob was pointing out that no news of bone infection is good news. The long-term risk surrounding the arm was that he'd develop a chronic bone infection. Doesn't look like he did. Which means his "4 surgeries" are very likely a non-factor once it's healed.

His back surgery is minor and not related to the initial injury. Somewhat concerning, sure. But he’s likely to be healthy and ready to play week 1. He could have more back issues, but he could also go the rest of his career without any.

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Albert Breer reports Rob Gronkowski will undergo back surgery, tentatively scheduled for mid-June.
The Patriots have been planning for Gronk to get the surgery, so it comes as no surpise. Early reports have the All-Pro tight end missing at least part of training camp, which seems overly optimistic. Although the surgery has been termed "minor," back procedures are never easy to gauge and Gronkowski's Week 1 status should be considered up in the air. It should be noted this will be the second procedure on his back, after undergoing surgery during college in 2009.

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000207740/article/gronk-to-have-back-surgery-likely-to-miss-part-of-camp

Gronk to have back surgery, likely to miss part of camp

By Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

Rob Gronkowski is set to return to the operating table, but it doesn't involve his troublesome forearm.

NFL.com's Albert Breer reported Wednesday that the New England Patriots tight end will need back surgery, according to a source briefed on his status. Surgery tentatively is set for mid-June and will be performed by Dr. Robert Watkins, according to Breer.

It's expected that Gronkowski will miss at least part of Patriots training camp.

This doesn't count as a surprising development. The possibility of back surgery previously was known, though the team had held out hope it could be avoided. Gronkowski has had back issues going back to his days at Arizona. He underwent a previous back surgery in Sept. 2009, which also was performed by Dr. Watkins.

The news is better concerning Gronkowski's recently repaired left forearm, which is healing with no sign of the infection resurfacing. It remains possible the tight end will be healthy and ready for Week 1, but matters are getting increasingly complicated.

Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @DanHanzus.

Guess this is confirmation that the infection was truly gone?Ten days into the recovery with no complications would be good news.
lol

Seems strange that someone set to have back surgery means his stock is rising......................but it is, lol.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000207791/article/rob-gronkowskis-latest-surgery-a-big-concern-for-patriots

Rob Gronkowski's latest surgery a big concern for Patriots

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

The upcoming back surgery for New England Patriots Rob Gronkowski, as first reported by NFL.com's Albert Breer, will be downplayed in some circles in the coming weeks. That's because teams and agents control the flow of information more than ever during the offseason.

Every surgery is termed "minor" and everyone will be ready for the regular season. This news feels different and should concern Gronkowski and Patriots fans for a variety of reasons:

1. There are is no such thing as "minor" surgery. And there is really no such thing as "minor" back surgery. You try it. This is especially significant because it's Gronkowski's second back surgery.

2. As Grantland's Bill Barnwell noted, Gronkowski has been down this path before. His first injury was originally diagnosed at the University of Arizona as a week-to-week deal, and it turned into a season-long injury. Back injuries are notoriously difficult to predict. Breer reports that Dr. Robert Watkins will perform Gronkowski's surgery. He also performed the procedure in college.

3. The surgery isn't scheduled until mid-June. Breer's report indicated that Gronkowski will miss "at least" part of training camp. That's not a good sign because these initial estimates are often overly sunny. If Gronkowski's camp already knows he'll be out for part of August, there has to be a decent chance he'll be out in September, too. The Boston Herald has reported that Gronkowski isn't expected back until late September. It's probably too early to tell.

4. Including surgeries on his broken forearm and its subsequent infections, this will be Gronk's fifth surgery since November.

5. Gronkowski is the most valuable Patriot on either side of the ball other than Tom Brady. Gronkowski creates matchup problems because of his receiving and blocking, and that can't easily be replaced. His role was more important than ever because of the team's completely rebuilt wide receiver group.

6. This isn't just about 2013. Gronkowski signed an eight-year contract in June of 2012. He's a cornerstone of the Patriots future. New England has to be worried about his long-term durability.

Gronkowski's contract is a reminder to players that taking the sure money now often pays off more than hoping to max out as a free agent. We doubt Gronkowski would have received that offer if he spent all last offseason undergoing surgery.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

1. There are is no such thing as "minor" surgery. And so on...
TL;DR: "It might be serious. It might not be. But it might be. The Patriots should be worried. I would be."

Where is Dr. Bramel when we need him?!

Rob Gronkowski's latest surgery a big concern for Patriots By Gregg RosenthalAround The League Editor 1. There are is no such thing as "minor" surgery. And so on...
TL;DR: "It might be serious. It might not be. But it might be. The Patriots should be worried. I would be." Where is Dr. Bramel when we need him?!
Alas, I don't think even the Good Doctor can shed much light on this one without some private info about the true nature of the surgery.

Alas, I don't think even the Good Doctor can shed much light on this one without some private info about the true nature of the surgery.
Good point. Hopefully we'll have more news mid-June. The one good point - in the otherwise complete waste of article - is that the information we are getting is likely coming from the team/Gronk/Agent, who are all going to be very tight with any potentially bad news.

From what I have read on Gronk's new back surgery, it is not serious and it is unrelated to the injury in college.
You may be right but I don't hear about any other players getting 'minor' back surgery.

You may be right but I don't hear about any other players getting 'minor' back surgery.
I think headlines recently read that Romo had minor back surgery (cyst?) and Steven Jackson had back surgery several years ago that his coaches indicated was minor.

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

1. There are is no such thing as "minor" surgery. And so on...
TL;DR: "It might be serious. It might not be. But it might be. The Patriots should be worried. I would be."

Where is Dr. Bramel when we need him?!
:)

Lots of stuff on my Twitter timeline. Update on Gronk (and Foster) should be published very shortly and I'll post a link when it's live.

In brief...

I'm not sure I like the recent report from Karen Guregian that Gronk could be out until late September and Will Carroll's tweet that the surgery may not be minor after all. It's certainly possible that it's a microdiscectomy and he'll be ready in 4-8 weeks, but those reports make you wonder whether there's something more going on than was suggested two weeks ago.

Cross your fingers we'll get enough information after the surgery to do more than wildly speculate.

RE: minor back surgery...

True, "minor" and "surgery" seem like an oxymoron.

However, this isn't a cervical halo or a procedure on the spinal cord that would end his career. It's (probably) not an open laminectomy or fusion that could end his career or necessitate 4+ months of rehab. It's also (probably) not a microlaminectomy that would suggest there's something to the rumors of spinal stenosis.

If it's in fact a microdiscectomy, it's "relatively" minor. Smaller incision, less invasive, not involving a serious amount of bone work, etc. It's a semantic distinction, but still worth considering.

However, this isn't a cervical halo or a procedure on the spinal cord that would end his career. It's (probably) not an open laminectomy or fusion that could end his career or necessitate 4+ months of rehab. It's also (probably) not a microlaminectomy that would suggest there's something to the rumors of spinal stenosis.

If it's in fact a microdiscectomy, it's "relatively" minor. Smaller incision, less invasive, not involving a serious amount of bone work, etc. It's a semantic distinction, but still worth considering.
How much are two disectomies by age 24 indicative of degenerative disc disease?

How much are two disectomies by age 24 indicative of degenerative disc disease?
That's a good question. Let me see if I can get an answer on that.

I posted in this thread earlier that all of these surgeries for Gronk surely don't help his value. I think that if you own him--you hold him --unless you get a crazy good offer for him. I keep reading that this new back surgery is allegedlly not something big--and is rather minor in nature--but I personally don't trust the Patriots one lick when it comes to the severity of injuries. Even if gronks back surgery is something major--it would do them no good to disclose that information at this point. The thing to remember is that as of this moment---the picture of what he can be from this point on is blurry at best. It's probably too early to sell him very low---but I don't think it's a horrid decision to consider any really solid deals for him.

An article in the print edition of the Globe today outlined a potential timeline of surgery in mid June, 12-week recovery time (no discounts for being an athlete), and starting the regular season on PUP (missing the first 6 weeks of the regular season at a minumum). They cited a surgeon that performs similar surgeries (but not Gronk's doctors). It's odd that they had a headline / feature article in the print edition but it's not on their web site. The tone of the article was that the team needed to start preparing for Gronk to be out of the line up to start the season. In redraft leagues, Gronk's draft stock should start taking a major hit.

An article in the print edition of the Globe today outlined a potential timeline of surgery in mid June, 12-week recovery time (no discounts for being an athlete), and starting the regular season on PUP (missing the first 6 weeks of the regular season at a minumum). They cited a surgeon that performs similar surgeries (but not Gronk's doctors). It's odd that they had a headline / feature article in the print edition but it's not on their web site. The tone of the article was that the team needed to start preparing for Gronk to be out of the line up to start the season. In redraft leagues, Gronk's draft stock should start taking a major hit.
What's the actual surgery being performed?

Also, why would they wait two or three weeks to do the surgery if they know it has a 12 week recovery time? Wouldn't they be pushing for it ASAP? Is that related to the recovery from his arm surgery?

Also, why would they wait two or three weeks to do the surgery if they know it has a 12 week recovery time? Wouldn't they be pushing for it ASAP? Is that related to the recovery from his arm surgery?
It is guesstimated that they wanted to make 100% sure there was no lingering infection in the arm, as an outbreak in the spine could be even more serious.

I believe he needs another microdiscectomy (the same procedure he had in college).

Thanks David. Was guessing the infection fear was the reason for the delay.

Sounds like the earlier statements about the back recovery taking less time than the arm recovery were basically PR/BS?

Thanks David. Was guessing the infection fear was the reason for the delay.Sounds like the earlier statements about the back recovery taking less time than the arm recovery were basically PR/BS?
Bottom line, even now, anything coming out on this is supposition and speculation. We won't know until we know, so to speak. The Pats won't say anything about it, and they wouldn't let Gronk talk about it either. There are still places saying he could be back for training camp. I think people will report what they want to hear or what they want to report to sell papers.

Users who are viewing this thread