What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (2 Viewers)

Ive seen it a couple times, linemen typically high ankle sprains. Can't remember the guys name but I think there was a 49ers linemen who you could hear him screaming on the broadcast. Gave me chills, turned out he had a sprain.

I have never seen a player writhe in pain like that, get taken off on a cart, only to be diagnosed with a bruise thereafter. Literally, I can't think of one.
Paul Pierce, wheel chair. Came back in a few minutes later and played.

Was disgustingly terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the PI calls against Gronk this year, I think it is similar to the situation Shaq was in for years in the NBA: he is so much bigger and stronger than everyone else that he is hard to officiate, and when Gronk pushes off, it has more force because of his size and strength, thus it looks worse than it would have been if almost any other player were doing it.

Guys.... best educated guess, when do we see Gronk back on the field?? Is he done helping FF teams this year?
This has been discussed ad nauseam in here and other Gronk threads... you really should do some reading rather than expecting folks to dig everything up for you.

What we know:

Bone bruise / knee sprain per official statement

• Report: "He is Week to Week, determined hours/minutes before the game. Any reports outside that are speculation"

• Re: Chandler - Brady said ""We're going to need to rely on him quite a bit. So I think one way or another he's going to have to be a major contributor for our team."

Best educated guesses:

This week: Highly unlikely to play. Brady references would indicate likelyhood he's out for at least a week.

Next week: This is where it gets highly speculative. I'd say he's got a 1 in 3 shot of playing... maybe 50/50.

Future weeks: Impossible to project outside pure shots in the dark.

Mitigating Factors:

• Patriots have a 1 game lead for HFA throughout playoffs. DEN and CIN now hold tiebreakers

• @HOU next week is looking like a bigger challenge than it did earlier this year. They have a strong pass rush... and Gronk's pass protection has been invaluable against these type of Defensive fronts. This COULD indicate Pats would be more likely to bring him back at less than 100% than if they were facing, say, TEN at home.

• There is ALWAYS the chance they are slow rolling this injury and he truly is out for several weeks at least. The very forthcoming nature of their announcements, gronk's video on social media, etc.... these are all very odd from this organization. As a poker player, an opponent projecting strength is usually a sign of weakness. Hopefully that isn't the case here.

The somewhat good news is that they have 1 pm games weeks 14-16. May help with GTD situations for those of us unable to land Chandler.

The somewhat good news is that they have 1 pm games weeks 14-16. May help with GTD situations for those of us unable to land Chandler.
Week 14 @ HOU has been flexed into a Sunday Night game. Just FYI.

PROTIP:

A great bandaid for Gronk owners who haven't gotten Chandler is Tye (TE NYG) as he starts at the same time or after Gronk for the 4 remaining weeks, yet still is a solid TE option with Donnell out.... and he should be on most 10-12 team Wires

Week 13: Gronk 12:00 SUN / Tye 12:00 SUN

Week 14: Gronk 7:30 SUN / Tye 7:30 MON

Week 15: Gronk 12:00 SUN / Tye 12:00 SUN*

Week 16: Gronk 12:00 SUN / Tye 12:00 SUN*

* Tye has tough matchups W15/16 so you might want to make a FA move at that point.. but with noon games these weeks, there will be lots of options.

Tye doesn't even show up in the top 10 available TEs on yahoo, for instance. Thanks for the heads up on the flexed game- that was going to be my next stop.

Guys.... best educated guess, when do we see Gronk back on the field?? Is he done helping FF teams this year?
This has been discussed ad nauseam in here and other Gronk threads... you really should do some reading rather than expecting folks to dig everything up for you.

What we know:

• Report: "He is Week to Week, determined hours/minutes before the game. Any reports outside that are speculation"

• Re: Chandler - Brady said ""We're going to need to rely on him quite a bit. So I think one way or another he's going to have to be a major contributor for our team."

Best educated guesses:

This week: Highly unlikely to play. Brady references would indicate likelyhood he's out for at least a week.

Next week: This is where it gets highly speculative. I'd say he's got a 1 in 3 shot of playing... maybe 50/50.

Mitigating Factors:

• Patriots have a 1 game lead for HFA throughout playoffs. DEN and CIN now hold tiebreakers

• @HOU next week is looking like a bigger challenge than it did earlier this year. They have a strong pass rush... and Gronk's pass protection has been invaluable against these type of Defensive fronts. This COULD indicate Pats would be more likely to bring him back at less than 100% than if they were facing, say, TEN at home.

• There is ALWAYS the chance they are slow rolling this injury and he truly is out for several weeks at least. The very forthcoming nature of their announcements, gronk's video on social media, etc.... these are all very odd from this organization. As a poker player, an opponent projecting strength is usually a sign of weakness. Hopefully that isn't the case here.
LOL don't talk to me about research guy. I spent 3 hours last night on here & Patriots message boards reading EVERYTHING...

The problem is... NOTHING adds up. Patriots are being positive, Gronk is being weird. Schefter has changed his stance THREE TIMES.... was just curious if overnight anything changed, or, if anyone had insight I hadnt read... Thanks for the info though- your detail was greatly appreciated.

packer_junkie said:
[icon] said:
packer_junkie said:

What we know:

Best educated guesses:

Mitigating Factors:

LOL don't talk to me about research guy. I spent 3 hours last night on here & Patriots message boards reading EVERYTHING...

The problem is... NOTHING adds up. Patriots are being positive, Gronk is being weird. Schefter has changed his stance THREE TIMES.... was just curious if overnight anything changed, or, if anyone had insight I hadnt read... Thanks for the info though- your detail was greatly appreciated.
I think it's a combination of sprains not reacting the same way with every player, and the Patriots years-long trend of thinking injuries are nobody's business but their own. Good luck trying to get a read on this until about 30 minutes before the first game Gronk plays.

packer_junkie said:
[icon] said:
packer_junkie said:

What we know:

Report: "He is Week to Week, determined hours/minutes before the game. Any reports outside that are speculation"

Re: Chandler - Brady said ""We're going to need to rely on him quite a bit. So I think one way or another he's going to have to be a major contributor for our team."

Best educated guesses:

Mitigating Factors:

Patriots have a 1 game lead for HFA throughout playoffs. DEN and CIN now hold tiebreakers

@HOU next week is looking like a bigger challenge than it did earlier this year. They have a strong pass rush... and Gronk's pass protection has been invaluable against these type of Defensive fronts. This COULD indicate Pats would be more likely to bring him back at less than 100% than if they were facing, say, TEN at home.

There is ALWAYS the chance they are slow rolling this injury and he truly is out for several weeks at least. The very forthcoming nature of their announcements, gronk's video on social media, etc.... these are all very odd from this organization. As a poker player, an opponent projecting strength is usually a sign of weakness. Hopefully that isn't the case here.
LOL don't talk to me about research guy. I spent 3 hours last night on here & Patriots message boards reading EVERYTHING... The problem is... NOTHING adds up. Patriots are being positive, Gronk is being weird. Schefter has changed his stance THREE TIMES.... was just curious if overnight anything changed, or, if anyone had insight I hadnt read... Thanks for the info though- your detail was greatly appreciated.
This is exactly how the beginning of 2013 played out. Every week there would be teases that he would be returning but the family was more guarded about his status. He ended up missing the first 7 games. The week to week uncertainty was awful.

elbowrm said:
Tye doesn't even show up in the top 10 available TEs on yahoo, for instance. Thanks for the heads up on the flexed game- that was going to be my next stop.
This depends greatly on your league size. If guys like Randolph, etc are stil out there then they might be better plays. I'm just referring to Tye as a guy who's come on a bit recently given the injury to Donnell and who's schedule is complimentary to Gronk's start time going forward.

I would be hesitant in putting TOO much stock in yahoo's going forward numbers on a guy like Tye... particularly given the unknowns surrounding Donnell's availability going forward.

I think it's a combination of sprains not reacting the same way with every player, and the Patriots years-long trend of thinking injuries are nobody's business but their own. Good luck trying to get a read on this until about 30 minutes before the first game Gronk plays.
1) Injuries ARE technically nobody's business but they're own. Patriots are only required to broadly categorize player availability. Belichick doesn't care about our fantasy teams. His only goal is to win every football game for the rest of the year.

2) As both a Pats fan and a Gronk owner, If not providing perfect information to the competition regarding his status makes my life a little harder as a Gronk owner, but also makes game planning for the Eagles, Houston, etc harder and increases our odds of winning... I'm supportive of that.

1) Injuries ARE technically nobody's business but they're own. Patriots are only required to broadly categorize player availability. Belichick doesn't care about our fantasy teams. His only goal is to win every football game for the rest of the year.

2) As both a Pats fan and a Gronk owner, If not providing perfect information to the competition regarding his status makes my life a little harder as a Gronk owner, but also makes game planning for the Eagles, Houston, etc harder and increases our odds of winning... I'm supportive of that.
Not criticizing Belichick's methods. He's obviously had a bit of success. Just saying that when it comes to Patriot's injuries, be prepared to see a lot of smokescreens.

[icon] said:
elbowrm said:

PROTIP:

A great bandaid for Gronk owners who haven't gotten Chandler is Tye (TE NYG) as he starts at the same time or after Gronk for the 4 remaining weeks, yet still is a solid TE option with Donnell out.... and he should be on most 10-12 team Wires

* Tye has tough matchups W15/16 so you might want to make a FA move at that point.. but with noon games these weeks, there will be lots of options.
Solid post, stuff like this is why I come here.

I have never seen a player writhe in pain like that, get taken off on a cart, only to be diagnosed with a bruise thereafter. Literally, I can't think of one.
McCoy did this last year or the year before. He was losing his #### on the field. Everyone thought he'd broke his ankle. He comes back after halftime and beasts out.

[icon] said:
elbowrm said:

PROTIP:

Great, thank you.

PROTIP:

Great, thank you.
NE plays a 4:00 EST so unless you are in Mountain zone where did you get that info? Also, the Giants are at 1:00 EST so NO they are NOT playing at the same time. If you are one who thinks there "is a chance" that Gronk plays you need to pick up a TE who plays 4:00 EST or later or risk starting someone earlier w/out knowing for sure if Gronk will be active or not.

Defenders tackle Gronk low because they can't tackle him high effectively. It's either a penalty or they won't bring him down. The issue is that every play they seem zeroed in on his knees. At some point this will end badly for Gronk. It's just a matter of time...

McCoy did this last year or the year before. He was losing his #### on the field. Everyone thought he'd broke his ankle. He comes back after halftime and beasts out.
Didn't see that but I guess I'm not too surprised. Still, you don't see many Paul Pierce's in the NFL.

Didn't see that but I guess I'm not too surprised. Still, you don't see many Paul Pierce's in the NFL.
Just in the past two weeks, I saw Joe Flacco tear both his ACL and MCL a casually get up and jog off the field. Less than a week later, I saw Aaron Rodgers take a helmet to the funny bone and come off shaking his arm and looking like he was going to cry. Sometimes the major injuries hurt much less than a well-placed helmet or shoulder pad.

Interesting....

I have a bye so I'm almost hoping he doesnt play this week. But if he does return it frees up a roster spot when I drop Chandler. I'm guessing we are looking at a GTD this week and he should be likely to play week 15.

I'm still holding onto Chandler though until more definitive news on Gronk availability for next week.

ahartig said:
Phil PerryVerified account

@PhilAPerryRob Gronkowski is back at practice today. Wearing a brace on his right leg. Edelman still missing. Chung is back.
per Rotoworld:

"Bill Belichick likes to get injured players limited practices the week before they return, and Gronk has said he will not play until he feels 100 percent healthy. "

So, maybe not this week but probably Week 15.
:goodposting:

the aforementioned Tye is going to be pretty huge for Gronk owners (who don't have Chandler) this week...

This is great news for those gronk owners sitting on a bye and gearing up for next week. :thumbup:

Chandler is an old man. Plus he needs to get some more direction by Tom. Hardclay Hands.

Taking an old man day.

Any chance edelman gets back in to play week 16?
I would guess that it is unlikely Edelman plays any significant role in Week 16. Best case he comes back and is on a snap count and IMO produces moderate numbers. If you want to role the dice in your league's Super Bowl, more power to you. I had the chance to pick him up and passed, as I think I have better options available (limited roster spots).

GRONK traveled with the team.

John Paulsen said on his podcast that the pats have a long history of activating questionable players who travel with the team.

travelling is a positive sign to him playing.

Nepats are reeling a bit, don't want to lose out on home field.

If he can play. he will

Rotoworld.com reports a source says the plan is for Gronk to play a "limited" amount of snaps. Just to make it a little tougher decision to roll with a snap count Gronk, or just use Tye.

Where's everyone slotting him in assuming a more limited workload?

I have him in two leagues. In one I'm rolling him out over Gates (also have Tye as an emergency inactive plug-in)

Other league I think I'm still going with Delanie Walker over him

Users who are viewing this thread