Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB


Recommended Posts

Just now, Football Jones said:

Opinions on what you think he's got left?

He'll finish as a TE1, but the bar for that isn't very high.  Probably no higher than TE9 if I were forced to pick an exact ceiling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

He'll finish as a TE1, but the bar for that isn't very high.  Probably no higher than TE9 if I were forced to pick an exact ceiling.

That's kinda my feeling. With the state of TEs, Gronk wouldn't need a great season to be considered a legit asset.

He also has the potential to flop, IMO.

Edited by Football Jones
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Gronk won't catch 70 balls and get 1,000 yards again, but he's still a tank who can make a big difference on the o-line, and Brady is gonna need protection at his age. 

Maybe tank "light" now.

Wonder what he's looking like.

Edited by Football Jones
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How did he look bulk-wise at that WWE thing? He's already been putting on weight in preparation for this apparently, it's been in the works.

That year off at a lower weight may have done wonders for his back and body in general. I hope so for the good of the sport, he's just fun and he can add to his HOF candidacy big time. He's "only" 31 if he stays healthy and plays a while longer with Brady in a more...fun-conducive environment if you will.

Edited by ConnSKINS26
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Gronk won't catch 70 balls and get 1,000 yards again, but he's still a tank who can make a big difference on the o-line, and Brady is gonna need protection at his age. 

I agree with this...my guess is he will be a lot better in real football then fantasy football...his last year with the Pats he was not the same player as far as receiving but his blocking was still very effective...the X factor in all of this is what does the year off from football do for him...he was really beat up when he retired, does the year off rejuvenate his body or will he continue the slide he was on...I think he will be able to contribute but he maybe on a little bit of a pitch count to remain effective for the whole year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MAC_32 said:

Well, in 2018 the piano on his back looked like it was running with another piano on its back, so...

Yeah, that's why I'm not convinced he'll put on as much weight as people think.

That said, much of his loss in speed could be contributed to injury. I think it's safe to say he's still athletic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Well, in 2018 the piano on his back looked like it was running with another piano on its back, so...

Even with that, he was still easily a top-10 NFL TE. If he's rejuvenated at all from a season off, he could be terrifying with teams focused more on Evans/Godwin.

 

1 hour ago, ffmail4me said:

By the way I think Brady is going to be a great FF QB sleeper this year. Yeah he's old, but has he EVER had the talent to throw to he has this year? Godwin, Evans, Gronk, that's just absurd. 

Moss, Welker, Stallworth, and Watson were probably better. Of course Brady threw 50 TD's that season so...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, travdogg said:

Even with that, he was still easily a top-10 NFL TE. If he's rejuvenated at all from a season off, he could be terrifying with teams focused more on Evans/Godwin.

His top 10 2018 season was akin to the Jason Witten top 10 seasons the two years prior - only it also came with questionable and out designations. If you're buying him then it's because you're expecting a return to prior levels. If your expectations are anything like 2018 then there are better dice to roll.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Considering with Cornavirus quarantine going on, it's hard to develop a chemistry with new teammates without voluntary or off-season practice.   The acquisition of Gronk gives Brady another offensive dimension and known chemistry.  Beside, I dont expect Gronk to rack up high yards but at least he'll provide Brady #1 target in RZ. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Aznflyer14 said:

Considering with Cornavirus quarantine going on, it's hard to develop a chemistry with new teammates without voluntary or off-season practice.   The acquisition of Gronk gives Brady another offensive dimension and known chemistry.  Beside, I dont expect Gronk to rack up high yards but at least he'll provide Brady #1 target in RZ. 

Brady is one of the best redzone passers in history, he now has the best redzone TE in history, and arguably the best jump ball WR in the NFL. Not expecting a lot of FG's in Tampa. I mean, how do you play them right now. Drop 7 guys into zone and hope they don't run on you?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think there is a lot left.  He will have a couple big games but probably be questionable most of the season.  He will probably hurt you more than he will help you by taking up space and starting spot.  I won't be investing.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Football Jones said:

Opinions on what you think he's got left?

The last memory I have of Gronk is when the Pats lost on that last second scoring play where Belichick put in Rob who gave up the TD.

I don't remember who it was but I laughed when they said Gronkowski showed the elusiveness of Frankenstein on the play.

Gotta say, he looked really beat up two years ago so... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't read it but just saw this and am impressed somebody threw together a story already.  

Skimming and some take-a-ways are the Pats get a 4th round pick in return provided Gronk passes his physical.  Gronk had/has CTE so not wise move on his part IMHO.   

Go to the link for the rest

Five Questions About Rob Gronkowski Joining the Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Gronk had/has CTE so not wise move on his part IMHO.

 

Huh? It's likely every long time football player has developed CTE or will just due to the sport...but currently they cannot test for it in living patients so, kind of a reckless statement to make as if it's fact. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

 

Huh? It's likely every long time football player has developed CTE or will just due to the sport...but currently they cannot test for it in living patients so, kind of a reckless statement to make as if it's fact. 

He thinks he had it but he's cured which raises all sorts of questions.  From the same link above.

Quote

Is Gronk returning to football because he believes he has cured his own case of CTE? Look, I’m happy Gronk is coming back, but I just want to make sure he’s fully aware of the latest science on brains.

Rob Gronkowski@RobGronkowski  ·Sep 13, 2019

It is fixable. I fixed mine. There are plenty of methods in this world that allow the brain to recover from severe damage. That is also why I would allow my kid to play football.

Chris Nowinski, Ph.D.@ChrisNowinski1  · Sep 12, 2019

.@RobGronkowski I appreciate and respect that you have the guts to talk honestly about #concussions and #CTE. But right now #CTE cannot be fixed- I invite your help in changing that. https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1172207959251783682

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

The last memory I have of Gronk is when the Pats lost on that last second scoring play where Belichick put in Rob who gave up the TD.

I don't remember who it was but I laughed when they said Gronkowski showed the elusiveness of Frankenstein on the play.

Gotta say, he looked really beat up two years ago so... 

My last memory of Gronk is him completely taking over late in the AFC Championship game, and making clutch plays, while being a dominant run blocker. When he was needed most, he was still unstoppable. 

I'm not expecting a classic Gronk year by any means, but I'm expecting better than 2018. He's healthier, and will attract far fewer coverage. What were still frequent double teams in 2018, will be 1 on 1, and usually with a lesser player, because of the attention Evans/Godwin will get.

I think 50-700-10 is a reasonable expectation if he stays healthy. That is a solid TE1 in my book, and if people are gonna pass on him for guys like Engram, Henry, or Hooper that is their loss. I'd probably put Gronk at TE7 right now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

He thinks he had it but he's cured which raises all sorts of questions.  From the same link above.

Rob Gronkowski@RobGronkowski  ·Sep 13, 2019

It is fixable. I fixed mine. There are plenty of methods in this world that allow the brain to recover from severe damage. That is also why I would allow my kid to play football.

Chris Nowinski, Ph.D.@ChrisNowinski1  · Sep 12, 2019

.@RobGronkowski I appreciate and respect that you have the guts to talk honestly about #concussions and #CTE. But right now #CTE cannot be fixed- I invite your help in changing that. https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1172207959251783682

 My point is he has never been diagnosed as having CTE bc they can't be sure while you're alive...he just took enough time off that his concussion symptoms finally went away. His brain healed, sure but damage has been done. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Aznflyer14 said:

Considering with Cornavirus quarantine going on, it's hard to develop a chemistry with new teammates without voluntary or off-season practice.   The acquisition of Gronk gives Brady another offensive dimension and known chemistry.  Beside, I dont expect Gronk to rack up high yards but at least he'll provide Brady #1 target in RZ. 

Maybe, but this ignores that it is a different offense. Chemistry is tied to the offense, at least somewhat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, travdogg said:

Brady is one of the best redzone passers in history, he now has the best redzone TE in history, and arguably the best jump ball WR in the NFL. Not expecting a lot of FG's in Tampa. I mean, how do you play them right now. Drop 7 guys into zone and hope they don't run on you?

Yes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bracie Smathers said:

The last memory I have of Gronk is when the Pats lost on that last second scoring play where Belichick put in Rob who gave up the TD.

I don't remember who it was but I laughed when they said Gronkowski showed the elusiveness of Frankenstein on the play.

Gotta say, he looked really beat up two years ago so... 

Yeah, the answer to that will be a big factor in determining how good he's going to be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure how this all went down, but Gronk may have done NE a favor. IIRC, once a player notifies the league that he is returning from retirement, his team has 48 hours to activate him. NE could not activate him without freeing up $8+ million  in additional cap space. So they would have had to release him. Instead they got a fourth round pick out of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

Not sure how this all went down, but Gronk may have done NE a favor. IIRC, once a player notifies the league that he is returning from retirement, his team has 48 hours to activate him. NE could not activate him without freeing up $8+ million  in additional cap space. So they would have had to release him. Instead they got a fourth round pick out of it. 

Hmmm interesting.  Didn't know that rule. 

But why would he want to hurt his new team by doing so?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

7-9.

Oh C'mon!

EDT:  Ahh, just read your name haha.

Their O/U yesterday was 9 wins.  Probably will go up to 9.5 or 10 now.  You should be the under HARD if you think 7.

Edited by Deamon
  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Hmmm interesting.  Didn't know that rule. 

But why would he want to hurt his new team by doing so?

How would he have hurt his new team? He would have become a feee agent. He could have negotiated a new deal and signed in TB anyway. Of course, BB could have traded him to the Redskins instead. 

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

How would he have hurt his new team? He would have become a feee agent. He could have negotiated a new deal and signed in TB anyway. Of course, BB could have traded him to the Redskins instead. 

Wouldn't Tampa be a better team this year with that 4th round pick?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Edgar said:

4th round dart throw or the greatest Tight End in NFL history? Hmmmm tough one. 

huh?  That's not what I said.  The two choices laid out were:

Inform the league first, Pats forced to release you, and you sign with tampa.
Inform pats first, they trade you, and you end up in tampa.

Gronk was going to end up in Tampa either way, but seems to have done the Pats a favour by telling them first (and hurting Tampa by forcing them to give up a pick)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Deamon said:

huh?  That's not what I said.  The two choices laid out were:

Inform the league first, Pats forced to release you, and you sign with tampa.
Inform pats first, they trade you, and you end up in tampa.

Gronk was going to end up in Tampa either way, but seems to have done the Pats a favour by telling them first (and hurting Tampa by forcing them to give up a pick)

The last thing Gronk wants is a wrench thrown in the plans. A 4th for Gronk and a 7th is nothing. Keep in mind this is the same Bucs GM who spent a 2nd on a kicker. Last year to Bill Sanu was worth a 2nd. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Edgar said:

The last thing Gronk wants is a wrench thrown in the plans. A 4th for Gronk and a 7th is nothing. Keep in mind this is the same Bucs GM who spent a 2nd on a kicker. Last year to Bill Sanu was worth a 2nd. 

lol no I understand that.  I'm just saying that it seems that Gronk did the Pats a favour out of goodwill.  But it hurts Tampa bay (a small amount, giving up a 4th).  I think he ends up in Tampa either way.  This was a great deal for both teams.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, SayWhat? said:

So what’s he worth in terms of rookie picks?  Obviously you’re likely not after him if you’re rebuilding.  But what about a contender weak at TE?

Great question and wondering myself. With some Pats homers in my one league (present company included) I expect he'll be gone by the second easily. I could even see someone reaching in the late first. I pick 1.13 and would consider him if I needed TE help but feel ok with Waller/Engram. Seems like he's either a luxury pick for good team picking late first that needs TE help, or he'll go in the early to mid second.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Going to say it now. He simply will not make it through the season. And if he does.....he will be barely effective. When you have a train wrecked back like Gronk.....it's over. Good luck if you are going to trade anything of value to acquire him.

I say......sucker bet. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

The bigger statement is the Pats got a fourth rd pick

They are brilliant. That is why they are always on top. But no more Brady. So who are they going to snag Thursday. Because Belicheat needs a new lead dog. 

Bucs are suckers. Once he starts getting hit hard again and goes down to the turf....he will be on the injury report every week. And he will ask himself....WTF I am doing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Todem said:

They are brilliant. That is why they are always on top. But no more Brady. So who are they going to snag Thursday. Because Belicheat needs a new lead dog. 

Bucs are suckers. Once he starts getting hit hard again and goes down to the turf....he will be on the injury report every week. And he will ask himself....WTF I am doing. 

He has a new lead dog already. Stidham. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Joe Bryant changed the title to TE Rob Gronkowski, TB

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...