Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB

IMO, I don't think there are many people expecting Gronk to go back to peak production Gronk. I would guess he isn't coming back to play every snap, and I doubt he would be interested in doing a lot of blocking. Plus, he lost a ton of weight and size wise he currently is probably better suited to be an oversized WR than an undersized TE. I would guess he will be rotated in on passing downs and only play a portion of the snaps. I have no idea what that is, but I'll guess 50%. One has to think that there will be a load management plan for him to keep him on the field for the duration of the season.

As for being a red zone target, he certainly wasn't used like he was earlier in his career. Over his last 3 years in NE, he scored 14 TD in his final 35 regular season games (the equivalent of 6 TD over a full season). Who knows how many games Gronk will be able to play . . . he hasn't played in 16 in a season since 2011.

16 hours ago, SayWhat? said:

So what’s he worth in terms of rookie picks?  Obviously you’re likely not after him if you’re rebuilding.  But what about a contender weak at TE?

Was traded yesterday in one of my leagues for the 2.10 (23rd pick overall) to the top team in the league who's only hole was at TE. Owner should have shopped around IMO, I sent out feelers with no response but would have paid more than that easily.

• Thanks 1

Buccaneers TE Rob Gronkowski said he currently weighs 250 pounds.

Gronk claims he played around 265 pounds in his final year with the Pats, making his transition from the gym to the field following a year-long hiatus "easy." He also said that the extended rest was needed after his body had been worn down. Gronkowski has yet to discuss his role for this upcoming season with coach Bruce Arians but did note he'd like to return to playing up the seam and from the slot — a real possibility if both O.J. Howard and Cam Brate stick on the roster. 31 in May, Gronk has skyrocketed from the TE54 in offseason Best-Ball/dynasty startup leagues to the TE13 practically overnight.

SOURCE: Mike Giardi on Twitter

Apr 22, 2020, 3:35 PM ET

Mailbag: Overrated and Underrated Draft Prospects; Rob Gronkowski in Tampa

Excerpt:

The idea of Rob Gronkowski as a Buccaneer is fun. And here’s hoping we get the rollicking, gameday-loving, defensive-back-decleting, monster of a few years ago, because that’d be good for football, and it’d be great to watch.

But to assume that would be to ignore a lot of things.

In this week’s mailbag, we’re going to get to questions on Jordan Love, Jamal Adams, Trent Williams and just what draft day will look like—plus I’ll give you a list of players who the public has overrated and underrated. We’ve gotta start, though, with the news of the day, and that’s the Gronk stunner of a Tuesday afternoon. And I’ll be the first to concede that I’m surprised he’s back.

The Gronk I saw after his last game, Super Bowl LIII, was totally, completely drained, and looked like football had taken everything he had. That, in fact, was one thing that he took great satisfaction from. That he made it to the finish line in a trying year that tested him physically and mentally strong enough to play the hero at the end of the biggest game. Add that to how he was enjoying his retirement, and a comeback always seemed unlikely.

So why’s he doing it? Obviously, his relationship with Tom Brady is a factor. Knowing that Bruce Arians has a great track record of taking care of aging vets would be another, as would the fact the environment in Tampa won’t be nearly as difficult day-to-day as the one he worked in for nine seasons in Foxboro. Along those lines, this is also pretty clear proof that Gronk was more done with the Patriots than he was done with football.

And that opens up the chance we see a totally revitalized Gronk, and guys I know who evaluated him during his last year didn’t close the door on that last night.

“His body was just beat to hell and he couldn’t run,” texted one AFC exec. “But who knows what 18 months off will do? He’s still only 30.”

“He wasn’t done, that’s for sure,” said another AFC exec. “I’m guessing a year off may have been good for his body too.”

With that in mind, here are five thoughts on the Gronk news, before we move on.

• As I understand it, the issues he had when he last played football wouldn’t necessarily come up in a physical now, and he passed one ahead of this trade. More so, the issue would be how his back holds up to contact. Part of why he retired was that he narrowly escaped a fourth back surgery. At the end, in fact, he’d have trouble getting his shoes and pants off after games. So the back problem is one the Bucs will have to monitor.

• Gronkowski had leverage here. He’s due $10 million in cash in 2020. The Patriots are less than $1 million under the salary cap. Holding the line with Gronkowski for better compensation coming back could have turned this situation ugly, and if Gronk chose to file paperwork to come out of retirement, the Patriots would’ve had to start cutting or restructuring other players. Or they would’ve had to cut him, which would’ve left them with no compensation.

• The other piece of leverage? Gronk was only going to Tampa to play with Brady. The way to build a trade market for a player is to pit suitors against each other. But if there’s only one suitor, and that suitor knows it, good luck. So even if a pick sway that in essence turns a seventh-round pick into a fourth-rounder seems like a paltry return for the greatest tight end ever to play, the Patriots really did fine just to get an asset out of thin air.

• The Bucs now have a chance to get something for O.J. Howard, a former top 10 pick who’s very affordable in 2020 (due less than $2 million in cash). I’d think Howard, for all his warts, would be attractive in a year where the draft’s tight-end talent is sparse. Especially if Notre Dame’s Cole Kmet, considered the one legit prospect at the position, is gone come Friday morning.

• So where does this leave the Patriots? They have six picks (23, 87, 98, 100, 125, 139) in the first four rounds of the draft. And they’re in as close to a rebuild situation as they’ve been since Bill Belichick’s first year.

And with that, we can get back to where we started. This is gonna be fun, seeing what Brady and Gronk bring to Tampa, and seeing what Belichick does next.

One thing’s for sure—we aren’t lacking for potential outcomes.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/31/2020 at 4:52 PM, Faust said:

Here's another stat for the burn pile:

Is he even the best Buccaneers tight end on their roster?

Analytics point to a player on the decline, but where will Gronkowski sit on the Buccaneers depth chart? Will he be a better option than any other tight end on the Bucs roster?

If you compare Gronkowski’s 2018 season to O.J. Howard’s from an OSM perspective, then Gronkowski wouldn’t be the TE1 for the Buccaneers. Howard received an OSM grade of 36.27 as our TE13, whereas Gronkowski was our TE24 with a grade of 33.03.

• 2 months later...

James Palmer @JamesPalmerTV

One observation from Bucs practice is that Gronk didn’t waste a minute. During early periods he stood on the hash and caught passes from the QBs as they went through footwork drills. During to a down period for him he worked alone on the side on his get off & hand placement.

https://twitter.com/jamespalmertv/status/1293915753142394880?s=21

ROB GRONKOWSKI TE, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

Greg Auman of The Athletic reports that more than half the Bucs' games will be against teams that were stingy against tight ends in 2019. 

Rob Gronkowski, O.J. Howard, and Cameron Brate will have a bunch of tough matchups this year. Tampa plays nine of the 12 teams that allowed five or fewer tight end touchdowns last season. It might not matter for Gronk if his connection with Tom Brady is anything like it was in New England. Opposing defenses accounting for Mike Evans and Chris Godwin might afford Gronkowski more single coverage than he ever saw at a Patriot. 

RELATED: 

O.J. Howard

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Aug 13, 2020, 4:20 PM ET

Rob Gronkowski is Michael Fabiano's Top Fantasy Football Bust of 2020

Excerpt:

BUST: TE Rob Gronkowski, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Rob Gronkowski is a three-time Super Bowl champion. He’s been a Pro Bowler five times, an NFL All-Pro four times, and one of (if not the most) valuable tight ends in the history of fantasy football. He ranks third at the position in touchdowns. The two players ahead of him (Antonio Gates & Tony Gonzalez) played in more than double the games during their respective, illustrious careers in the National Football League. Heck, the superstar tight end was even the 24/7 Champion in World Wrestling Entertainment!

Despite all of the accolades, the big man has “BUST” written all over him in 2020.

Please hear me out! First off, Gronkowski hasn't played a game in the NFL since 2018. During that year, he saw a significant decline in targets, catches, yards, and touchdowns. He finished as the No. 11 tight end, behind the likes of Vance McDonald, David Njoku, and Trey Burton. While he did tie for ninth in points per game, Gronkowski was a shell of his former statistical self. Remember, he averaged over 16 fantasy points per game in the previous campaign. After 2018, he left the Patriots and started his career in WWE.

Whether or not the time off the gridiron affects him remains to be seen, but I do know that it takes time to get back in football shape. Also, the presence of the Coronavirus will keep Gronkowski off the field until the second week of September. That’s a 20-month absence. This could make a guy who was prone to injuries before even more prone.

Aside from his extended absence from the NFL game, Gronkowski is also entering his age-31 season. In the history of the National Football League, only 15 of 214 tight ends at the same age have averaged double-digit (10-plus) fantasy points per game. Based on last season’s totals, a player who averaged around 10 points per game would have finished as the No. 12 tight end in PPR scoring formats. Could that be Gronk’s ceiling?

If it is, his current average draft position (70.6) on Fantasy Football Calculator puts at major risk to fail to meet expectations based on where fantasy owners are picking him.

Next, let's take a look at the offense of coach Bruce Arians and how it uses tight ends. During his long career as either a head coach or offensive coordinator, Arians' system has produced one top-eight tight end: Heath Miller did it twice (2007 & 2009). Past that, the best fantasy finish at the position under Arians was 15th (also Miller, 2008). What's more, Miller is the lone tight end to post more than 51 catches or 631 yards under Arians' watch. Miller is also the only tight end to score more than four times in a single season in Arians' offense. This is anything but a promising trend for fantasy fans.

For those of you who suggest that Gronkowski is better than Miller or any other tight end who has played under Arians (which is true), I’d also keep in mind that Arians has never had the type of depth at the position, either. Gronkowski will no doubt lose some work to O.J. Howard (who busted under Arians in 2019) and Cameron Brate.

Let's also keep in mind that the Buccaneers have one of the best wide receiver duos in Mike Evans and Chris Godwin. Those two players alone demanded a target share of over 40 percent last season. That might not be notable if Gronkowski were the lone tight end option on the roster, but Howard and Brate will dent his target share. In fantasy football, every target (or lost target) counts.

All of these things, from his lengthy absence in the league to injury concerns, questions about his target share, and playing in an offense that rarely targets tight ends, makes Gronkowski a prime bust candidate. Hopefully, fantasy fans will look past the name and look at the facts because they suggest we will not see Gronk among fantasy's elite, and it pains me to say that!

NBC Sports' Peter King "guesses" Rob Gronkowski will finish third in snaps among the Buccaneers tight ends.

After spending the last week in Tampa Bay watching practices and interviewing Bucs' members, King wrote, "I’d bet Howard plays the most snaps of the tight ends, with Brate maybe a few more than Gronkowski; but that’s just a guess." This isn't a direct report of facts, but it's a prediction worth keeping in mind when debating Gronk's TE8 overall price tag. With that said, Gronk could put up fantasy production on limited snaps, particularly if the plan is to sub him into the game in high-leverage situations. Gronk could flirt with borderline TE1 production if things go his way inside the red zone. That, of course, can be a risky game to play.

SOURCE: NBC Sports

Aug 17, 2020, 2:04 AM ET

• 4 weeks later...

Rob Gronkowski caught 2-of-3 targets for 11 yards in the Bucs' loss to the Saints in Week 1. 

Gronk played throughout the game but was outplayed by O.J. Howard, who saw six targets and a touchdown against New Orleans. Tom Brady missed Gronkowski over the middle of the field in the first half -- a completion that might have set Gronk off to the races. He'll be a borderline, touchdown-dependent start in Week 2 against the Panthers. 

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

Rob Gronkowski did not record a catch on just one target in the Bucs' win over the Panthers in Week 2. 

Gronk's lone target was actually overthrown and intercepted. He simply is not involved in the offense through two weeks, recording just 11 total yards. There are many, many better options in your fantasy lineup moving forward.

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

Bucs TE Rob Gronkowski has been targeted on four of his 42 pass routes through two weeks. 

Latter-day Gronk has two grabs for 11 yards, and should be on the waiver wire in 10-team leagues and shallow 12-team leagues. Fellow Tampa TE O.J. Howard has seen nine targets through two weeks; he has five catches for 47 yards and a touchdown this season. The Brady-Gronk reunion is the most disappointing since Creed got back together. 

SOURCE: Adam Levitan on Twitter 

Sep 21, 2020, 10:38 AM ET

@Boone22

Head coach Bruce Arians said his offense isn't built for tight ends to see consistent targets. 

Arians, complimenting Rob Gronkowski's blocking prowess, is acknowledging what we've known for a couple weeks, as Gronkowski has caught two passes for 11 yards through two weeks. “We’re not throwing the ball 50 times to tight ends – that’s what we have receivers for [and] that’s the way our offense is built,” Arians said. “Gronk’s playing great run blocking in the fourth quarter, so I’m not concerned with his pass catches or his targets. ... We haven’t had that many red zone opportunities and I don’t see him running 40 yards past people anymore." Any hope for Gronk to get involved in the team's target tree has been squelched. The ghost of Gronk should be dropped in 12-team leagues. 

SOURCE: USA Today 

Sep 24, 2020, 9:24 AM ET

• Thanks 1

I think we all knew that an Arians offense was never TE friendly. I guess with the addition of Gronk (along with two other good pass catching TEs in Howard and Brate), many thought it would be different this time. But a leopard can't or won't change its spots.

1 minute ago, Faust said:

Head coach Bruce Arians said his offense isn't built for tight ends to see consistent targets. 

Arians, complimenting Rob Gronkowski's blocking prowess, is acknowledging what we've known for a couple weeks, as Gronkowski has caught two passes for 11 yards through two weeks. “We’re not throwing the ball 50 times to tight ends – that’s what we have receivers for [and] that’s the way our offense is built,” Arians said. “Gronk’s playing great run blocking in the fourth quarter, so I’m not concerned with his pass catches or his targets. ... We haven’t had that many red zone opportunities and I don’t see him running 40 yards past people anymore." Any hope for Gronk to get involved in the team's target tree has been squelched. The ghost of Gronk should be dropped in 12-team leagues. 

SOURCE: USA Today 

Sep 24, 2020, 9:24 AM ET

If that is not an endorsement to toss him to the waiver wire (in any format) I don't know what is.

Bucs TE Rob Gronkowski said he signed with the team to block. 

Welp. Gronk's comments -- "I'm a blocking tight end" -- echo head coach Bruce Arians saying this week that Gronkowski is primarily a blocker in the Tampa offense. Gronk told ESPN he was surprised he's seen four targets through two games -- he thought it'd be fewer. One of the game's greatest tight ends has about as much fantasy relevance as Jace Sternberger. He can be dropped in all formats. 

1) The Revenge of Steve Harvey

2) I'm sure there are more than a few people who would've liked to know this info earlier, Gronk.

• Like 1

Rob Gronkowski caught 6-of-7 targets for 48 yards in Week 3 against the Broncos.

Gronkowski had just four targets through the first two weeks. This was easily his best game, and it comes after coach Bruce Arians said he views Gronk as primarily a blocker. Gronkowski sat out all last year and didn't have a preseason but looks to be getting back into form. With Chris Godwin (hamstring) and Justin Watson (shoulder) sidelined, Gronk could continue to see an increased target share for a Week 4 matchup with the Chargers.

Sep 27, 2020, 8:07 PM ET

• Joe Bryant changed the title to TE Rob Gronkowski, TB