What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (7 Viewers)

Bucs re-signed TE Rob Gronkowski to a one-year, $10 million contract. 

The band continues to be reassembled in Tampa Bay. Gronk was committed to testing the open market, but six hours was all he needed. It was never likely the 32-year-old (in May) tight end was going to separate from football soul mate Tom Brady. As expected, Gronk looked a step slower in 2020, but a step slower from Gronk is still better than the vast majority of tight ends. He finished as the TE8 by total fantasy points in half PPR leagues on the strength of seven touchdowns. There is nowhere to go but down for Gronk in fantasy, but he should maintain low-end TE1 streaming appeal. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Mar 15, 2021, 6:39 PM ET

Michael Silver reported Rob Gronkowski considered signing with the Bills before re-signing with Tampa. 

Forsaking the Bucs would have broken Gronk's long-held pledge never to catch passes from anyone but Tom Brady, but Silver said the veteran considered signing with his hometown Bills before rejoining the champion Bucs on a one-year, $10 million contract. Silver is the latest to report Buffalo is intent on upgrading at tight end in the coming weeks. Dawson Knox was a disappointment for both the team and fantasy players in 2020. 

RELATED: 

Dawson Knox

, Buffalo Bills

SOURCE: Mike Silver on Twitter 

Mar 16, 2021, 12:51 PM ET

Rob Gronkowski caught 8-of-8 targets for 90 yards and two touchdowns in the Bucs' Week 1 win over the Cowboys. 

The receptions tied Gronk's high as a Buc, while the yards were his second most. Gronk and Tom Brady were putting the Cowboys' linebacker corps in a blender. Score No. 1 was a two-yarder where Gronk leaked out for an end zone grab. No. 2 was an 11-yarder where Gronk ran free against zero coverage. It could have been our imagination, but Gronk seemed to have a little more life in his legs than he did in 2020. Playing in one of the most loaded offenses of all time, Gronk will never again approach his Patriots ceiling and consistency, but it is possible he gets in the TE1 mix.

Started him based on his redzone and endzone usage last year now back in football shape with an offseason.

Think he can finish above Hockensen Andrews and Pitts in standard this year if healthy. His ceiling is TE4.

Think he will be top 10 for sure

Last edited by a moderator:
Very sad I couldn't snag any Gronk shares.

I think he's going to have a great season and smash his ADP. I don't even think he needs a ton of targets because there are simply too many weapons to cover on this offense, and Gronk is going to get a lot of high percentage targets due to mismatches. He can still smoke any LB and body any DB.

What doesn't get talked about much is the transition from "no risk it no biscuit" to a play-action based passing attack, which tends to direct more targets to Gronk and Brown than to Evans and Godwin.  It's acknowledged that Brady is getting the ball out quickly, but not what that means to where the ball gets directed to.  Obviously this doesn't eliminate Evans / Godwin from the plan, as witnessed by Godwin's team leading targets, but it does imply that its a bad assumption to think that Gronk and Brown will only get the crumbs left over from a passing game focused on the "#1" and "#2" receivers.  I expect it will be rare to see games where catches by (Evans + Godwin) significantly exceeds catches by (Gronk + Brown).  I won't be surprised if, of the four, Gronk finishes with the most TDs and Brown finishes with the most yards (though that will be a 3 way race).

Very sad I couldn't snag any Gronk shares.

I think he's going to have a great season and smash his ADP. I don't even think he needs a ton of targets because there are simply too many weapons to cover on this offense, and Gronk is going to get a lot of high percentage targets due to mismatches. He can still smoke any LB and body any DB.
I had Gronk thrown in on a deal last week where I gave up Jonnu, Chark & Lockett for DJ Moore & Gronk! 

Talk about paying dividends early!   As I also have Hock, what is the market value for Gronk?  

Robbery at this ADP. I think healthy Godwin and AB will eat but Gronk will be great value if healthy. I think he'll just be more TD dependent than NE days. Evans will also have his moments but we've got enough sample size to know he'll largely be low target TD dependent (not my cup of tea in weekly PPR at WR) if the other 3 are healthy.

^ maybe you andd others did, I didn't , I said two weeks ago that he's going to be a factor this season. his neck is huge he's been working out again, and looked all-world 2nd part of 2020. so far that's continues through the first two weeks. loving what I'm seeing so far, got him late late in my draft. 

^ maybe you andd others did, I didn't , I said two weeks ago that he's going to be a factor this season. his neck is huge he's been working out again, and looked all-world 2nd part of 2020. so far that's continues through the first two weeks. loving what I'm seeing so far, got him late late in my draft. 
Same. Got him off waivers. Brady loves him and he catches everything. Beast. 

Rob Gronkowski caught 4-of-5 targets for 39 yards and two touchdowns in the Bucs' Week 2 win over the Falcons. 

Each of Gronkowski's scores came in the first 16 minutes of the game, giving him four through two contests. For the first, he got ISO'd at the goal line against a two-high look and easily completed a 20-yard play. The second was a one-yard dunk. Gronk looks more slippery than he did in 2020, though the Bucs might still try to manage his workload as the season wears on. It is about Lombardis for Gronk and Tom Brady at this point. Nevertheless, it would be foolish to say Gronk is not back in the TE1 mix for an offense that has looked close to unstoppable. That will be put to the test in Week 3 vs. the Rams. 

Sep 19, 2021, 7:15 PM ET

Rob Gronkowski caught four of five targets for 55 yards in the Bucs' Week 3 loss to the Rams. 

Gronk looked to be in for another big day with a 26-yard first half reception but cooled off into the second half and had to leave the game for a bit after taking a hard hit to the midsection. He returned and immediately saw two end zone targets. Gronk -- assuming he doesn't miss any time with upper body soreness -- is still a plug and play starter in 12-team formats. Look for him to return to New England in Week 4 with a Gronk spike for his old fans in Foxboro.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Rob Gronkowski's (ribs) X-rays were negative, and he "looks likely" to play Week 4 against the Patriots.

Gronkowski took a hit to the mid-section against the Rams Sunday but was able to return to the game. You better believe he's going to do everything in his power to be out there next Sunday night in he and Tom Brady's returns to Foxboro to face the Patriots.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 27, 2021, 9:52 PM ET

Bucs coach Bruce Arians said Rob Gronkowski (ribs) and Giovani Bernard (knee) are not practicing Wednesday. 

Arians suffered a rib injury in Week 3 but his X-rays came back negative and Schefter reported that he "looks likely" to play in Week 4. He and Tom Brady are returning to New England for the first time so it's hard to believe anything other than a season-ending injury would hold Gronk back from playing. His role could be limited but the expectation is that he's active and heavily involved in the red zone, per usual. He'll be a TE1 with the "revenge narrative" backing him.

SOURCE: Scott Smith on Twitter

Sep 29, 2021, 1:34 PM ET

Bucs coach Bruce Arians said Rob Gronkowski (ribs) and Giovani Bernard (knee) are not practicing Wednesday. 

Arians suffered a rib injury in Week 3 but his X-rays came back negative and Schefter reported that he "looks likely" to play in Week 4. He and Tom Brady are returning to New England for the first time so it's hard to believe anything other than a season-ending injury would hold Gronk back from playing. His role could be limited but the expectation is that he's active and heavily involved in the red zone, per usual. He'll be a TE1 with the "revenge narrative" backing him.

SOURCE: Scott Smith on Twitter

Sep 29, 2021, 1:34 PM ET
Bruce must have strained something throwing his headset after that loss.

But, seriously, there's no way Gronk is missing a return to Foxborough.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said there's "no way" Rob Gronkowski (ribs) will miss Week 4 against the Patriots. 

Rapoport expects Gronkowski -- who missed some of the Bucs' Week 3 loss with the ribs injury -- to return to practice in some capacity on Friday and suit up against his former mates on Sunday night. He managed four catches for 55 yards against the Rams despite the Week 3 injury. Cameron Brate looks like the team's primary pass-catching tight end if Gronkowski isn't able to bring back the Gronk spike to Foxboro this weekend. With a 17 percent target share in a pass-heavy Tampa offense, Gronk is a top-5 fantasy option if he plays. 

RELATED: 

Cameron Brate

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 1, 2021, 8:34 AM ET

Rob Gronkowski (ribs) returned to practice Friday. 

This all but confirms Gronk will suit up in Week 4 against his former teammates in Foxboro. He's run a solid number of routes and commanded a 17 percent target share in Tampa's extremely pass-heavy offense, making him a weekly must-play in all formats. 

SOURCE: Jenna Laine on Twitter

Oct 1, 2021, 11:37 AM ET

Gronk listed as DOUBTFUL.....crap.

Brate seems like a plug and play if he is actually out, i feel like this might be Arians playing mind games

Rob Gronkowski (ribs) returned to practice Friday. 

This all but confirms Gronk will suit up in Week 4 against his former teammates in Foxboro. He's run a solid number of routes and commanded a 17 percent target share in Tampa's extremely pass-heavy offense, making him a weekly must-play in all formats. 

SOURCE: Jenna Laine on Twitter

Oct 1, 2021, 11:37 AM ET

How fast things change from "all but confirms" to "doubtful" in a span of about 4 hours.

Which would you rather have?  And, yes, I'm thinking about handcuffing my TE (Gronk).  😂
Hard to say - Howard is the better player, but IIRC he was hurt for a while. Didn't he tear his Achilles? 

Brate may be the safer play of the two - I hist haven’t seen Howard play recently to know where he’s at physically 

Gronk listed as DOUBTFUL.....crap.

Brate seems like a plug and play if he is actually out, i feel like this might be Arians playing mind games
This game isn't really that important, and should be easily winnable without Gronk. They'll need him later in the year, so why push him just because its his old team? 

Hard to say - Howard is the better player, but IIRC he was hurt for a while. Didn't he tear his Achilles? 

Brate may be the safer play of the two - I hist haven’t seen Howard play recently to know where he’s at physically 
That's pretty much what I was thinking.  I've always felt that Brate was an underrated receiver, and it seems like he would be a safe bet to play a significant role if Gronk is out.  Not sure I can say the same about Howard, although he may have the higher upside if he does.  And, yeah, I think it was the achilles.  

For what its worth, Brate stepped right into Gronk's role last week when Gronk left to get his ribs checked, he caught a few balls too, on limited snaps.  As a Gronk owner I will definitely plug Brate in if Gronk is inactive.....I just can't see that happening though, even with the doubtful tag.  I think he powers through the pain against his old team, from numberfire:

Gronkowski returned to practice on Friday, but Jeff Howe of The Athletic reports that he would have to "manage some extreme pain" with his rib injury. It would still be a bit of a surprise if Gronkowski is inactive for Sunday night's reunion in New England, but it does seem like he will be far below 100 percent if active. Cameron Brate and O.J. Howard could see more playing time as a result. Brate has out-snapped Howard 56-18 on passing downs this season, per Pro Football Focus.

I mean isnt it normal to dawn a flack jacket or similar, get a few cortisone shots and voila.....I imagine he really wants to gronk smash it in Foxboro....and Brady wants to make that happen

For what its worth, Brate stepped right into Gronk's role last week when Gronk left to get his ribs checked, he caught a few balls too, on limited snaps.  As a Gronk owner I will definitely plug Brate in if Gronk is inactive.....I just can't see that happening though, even with the doubtful tag.  I think he powers through the pain against his old team, from numberfire:

Gronkowski returned to practice on Friday, but Jeff Howe of The Athletic reports that he would have to "manage some extreme pain" with his rib injury. It would still be a bit of a surprise if Gronkowski is inactive for Sunday night's reunion in New England, but it does seem like he will be far below 100 percent if active. Cameron Brate and O.J. Howard could see more playing time as a result. Brate has out-snapped Howard 56-18 on passing downs this season, per Pro Football Focus.

I mean isnt it normal to dawn a flack jacket or similar, get a few cortisone shots and voila.....I imagine he really wants to gronk smash it in Foxboro....and Brady wants to make that happen
I agree. It’s just really unusual these days to see a player listed as doubtful step onto the field suited up and ready to go.

could be Arians playing head games.

This is a big reason why I've been hesitant to call Gronk a top-10 TE going forward. He retired because he couldn't stay healthy anymore.

He was a great sell high a week ago, but he's going to be a huge injury risk going forward, and I would bet heavily, that he sees far fewer targets and playing time in general when he returns, in an effort to keep him healthy.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Bucs TE Rob Gronkowski (fractured ribs) could be sidelined for "multiple weeks."

Advice: "We held out hope all week he’d be ready,” one of Schefter's sources said on Gronkowski. “He’s a different breed.” Even so, Gronk could miss multiple games leading up to Tampa Bay's Week 9 bye. Cameron Brate has run 50 routes to O.J. Howard's 11 behind Gronk this year, making the former the backup tight end

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Bucs TE Rob Gronkowski (fractured ribs) could be sidelined for "multiple weeks."

Advice: "We held out hope all week he’d be ready,” one of Schefter's sources said on Gronkowski. “He’s a different breed.” Even so, Gronk could miss multiple games leading up to Tampa Bay's Week 9 bye. Cameron Brate has run 50 routes to O.J. Howard's 11 behind Gronk this year, making the former the backup tight end

What happened to X Rays negative.  They better get that X Ray machine fixed.

Went from no way he is missing this game to doubful to out to might miss multiple weeks.  

Users who are viewing this thread