What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

North Korea thread (4 Viewers)

Wrong. They are all based on this http://www.dailynk.com/english/north-korea-executes-army-lieutenant-general/. Which is a propaganda news source.
Who told you this, Weebs? Link for your source?

Daily NK is one of six news outlets that have emerged in recent years specializing in collecting information from North Korea. These Web sites or newsletters hire North Korean defectors and cultivate sources inside a country shrouded in a near-total news blackout.

While North Korea shutters itself from the outside — it blocks the Internet, jams foreign radio broadcasts and monitors international calls — it releases propaganda-filled dispatches through the government’s mouthpiece, the Korean Central News Agency.

But, thanks to Daily NK and the other services, it is also possible now for outsiders to read a dizzying array of “heard-in-North Korea” reports, many on topics off limits for public discussion in the North, like the health of the country’s leader, Kim Jong-il.
- NYT

It's funded by an NGO which is funded by our own Congress.

- I have seen this site before, it's been posted as a source here. It's run by South Koreans from South Korea and intended to bring some small measure of transparency to actual events in NK.

Again, what is your source for this?

I have to say I was under the impression that some had come and was willing to give Trump credit for that. What a disgrace. I hope I can give him credit for this ultimately.
I wouldn’t hold your breath. But yeah this is yet another despicable lie. Toying with people’s emotions like that. He is truly vile.

I really hope these latest developments are fake news.  If Donald feels like he is made a fool of on a global stage, then he will be forced to back up his tough rhetoric.  I'd say an 85% chance of a war of some kind in NK conveniently before 2020.  This is his single greatest accomplishment so far imo, and some are even calling for a Nobel Peace prize.  If Kim double crosses him he will be the laughing stock of all his new Asian friends.
Showing up for a photo op isn’t a great accomplishment  

Dennis Rodman had done that. Dennis Rodman

Last edited by a moderator:
No one can say Trump did not give Fat Kimmy a chance.  My guess is Trump will try to bring the soldiers remains home ASAP so at least we get something out of the meeting.
I thought we already had 200 soldiers remains?

And if this is the "Art of the Deal" negotiation strategy, we are really screwed. That is awful tactics. And what is Putin going to do Trump when they meet?

I have to say I was under the impression that some had come and was willing to give Trump credit for that.
You were "under the impression" because Trump told a lie and the media reported it as fact.

It's a textbook example of what's wrong with the media right now. They are giving liars too much benefit of the doubt.

You were "under the impression" because Trump told a lie and the media reported it as fact.

It's a textbook example of what's wrong with the media right now. They are giving liars too much benefit of the doubt.
The ongoing attempt to try and normalize Trump is among the media’s greatest failings right now. I give Maddow a lot of respect for not playing Trump clips. Her reason? He constantly lies and she doesn’t want to spread them further by broadcasting them.

Do people honestly believe that North Korea has the remains of US soldiers who would have died 40 years ago, just lying around? They've just been storing them to use as a gift at some indefinite point decades in the future? Either NK will never ship any bodies at all since Trump has claimed they've already been received. Or Kim will just assassinate 200 people and send America their bones.

Let's give away our strategic interests in exchange for something which probably be a fraud. And on the .1% chance it isn't, doesn't cost NK anything to really give up. It's not like they care.

If it was legit, you could have probably offered KJU a new BMW and gotten them back.

No way anyone could have seen this coming. Completely unexpected.

Sure hope this doesn't hamper Trump's Nobel chances. 

I really hope these latest developments are fake news.  If Donald feels like he is made a fool of on a global stage, then he will be forced to back up his tough rhetoric.  I'd say an 85% chance of a war of some kind in NK conveniently before 2020.  This is his single greatest accomplishment so far imo, and some are even calling for a Nobel Peace prize.  If Kim double crosses him he will be the laughing stock of all his new Asian friends.
That would require Trump admitting he was fooled.  After all the fawning, I find that unlikely.  KJU played him like a fiddle - in order to retaliate, Trump has to admit he’s an idiot.  

Reducing forces abroad would be useful if they just reduced the size of our overall forces.

Looks like Fat Kimmy is being smart in doing everything he can to strengthen his negotiating position.  He knows the US is “monitoring” (spying on) his every move and the media is helping him to get a better deal.
So, would you say he has gotten the better of Trump?

Removing significant level of forces in Korea (and Germany) is not in the US's strategic interest.  

Both regions ensure that we have infrastructure and a foothold in far-reaching areas of the globe.

There are only 2 countries that think its a good idea to draw down American presence in those regions:  China and Russia.

Its embarrassing that Trump, and his supporters, cite the need to increase tariffs on Canadian and European aluminum and steel on national security grounds, but fail to recognize the long-term harm of pulling out of strategic regions in the world.

Removing significant level of forces in Korea (and Germany) is not in the US's strategic interest.  

Both regions ensure that we have infrastructure and a foothold in far-reaching areas of the globe.

There are only 2 countries that think its a good idea to draw down American presence in those regions:  China and Russia.

Its embarrassing that Trump, and his supporters, cite the need to increase tariffs on Canadian and European aluminum and steel on national security grounds, but fail to recognize the long-term harm of pulling out of strategic regions in the world.
:shrug:

I'd be in favor of it if it meant we were reducing the size of our overall forces. You could say that we're in a more multilateral world where power and conflicts aren't generally resolved by having lots of bodies run at each other. So it is time for Europe to start having more of their own boots and drone fighters. But there's no sense to just take troops out of places they are in a good strategic location, just to go somewhere they're not. You take troops out of Germany where they can respond to things in the Middle East so they can go sit in where, Kansas? 

It means that the US is in a worse position to flex its military muscles to advance its strategic aims. And I'm ok with that.

But saying, "We spent the most money ever on the military" to make it less useful than ever is obviously super dumb even for these guys.

Last edited:
It means that the US is in a worse position to flex its military muscles to advance its strategic aims. And I'm ok with that.
There is a massive risk to this - economically.  We live in a house of cards that is built largely on the strength of the US military and ability to influence policy around the world.  We are starting to see the effects of the US losing influence - which is the goal of Russia, and to a lesser extent (or at least not as overt) China.  

If we scale back our military abroad - that will have long term effects.  And, when the US$ stops being the world's de facto currency - we are in so deep, even RiversCo can't imagine the consequences - imo. 

There is a massive risk to this - economically.  We live in a house of cards that is built largely on the strength of the US military and ability to influence policy around the world.  We are starting to see the effects of the US losing influence - which is the goal of Russia, and to a lesser extent (or at least not as overt) China.  

If we scale back our military abroad - that will have long term effects.  And, when the US$ stops being the world's de facto currency - we are in so deep, even RiversCo can't imagine the consequences - imo. 
The world has shifted from using USD as the currency of record. Having nothing to do with our military strength. Economic strength is more important than military these days. If we properly reallocate the expense of our military, it could be a net win.

In what scenario does the US need 35,000 troops in Europe or the Middle East?

The world has shifted from using USD as the currency of record. Having nothing to do with our military strength. Economic strength is more important than military these days. If we properly reallocate the expense of our military, it could be a net win.
A lot of our economic strength is based on our projected military strength...we are and have been a safe investment for foreign dollars because of the military presence. 

Now, I would agree that we could reallocate some of our military spending towards things like cyber-defense - but we have seen in the conflicts in the middle wast, how important is to have strategic infrastructure in the arena.  Our presence is South Korea and Japan, for example, helps keep China's ambitions in the region in check.  Bases in Germany are strategic staging areas for any number of conflicts in Europe/Balkans and even Middle East.

You can't quickly roll up the infrastructure if you dramatically downsize the personnel at the various bases.

So, would you say he has gotten the better of Trump?
Kimmy continues to work on his nuclear program while Trump continues the economic sanctions.  Would you do anything differently if you were in their position.   You apply pressure until someone blinks.   So far, everything’s looks like business as usual compared to other peace negotiations.
Right. This is the kind of thing that you say before you have the big summit.

It doesn't make sense when you say it right after the President says "Kim blinked! Peace is achieved!"

A lot of our economic strength is based on our projected military strength...we are and have been a safe investment for foreign dollars because of the military presence. 

Now, I would agree that we could reallocate some of our military spending towards things like cyber-defense - but we have seen in the conflicts in the middle wast, how important is to have strategic infrastructure in the arena.  Our presence is South Korea and Japan, for example, helps keep China's ambitions in the region in check.  Bases in Germany are strategic staging areas for any number of conflicts in Europe/Balkans and even Middle East.

You can't quickly roll up the infrastructure if you dramatically downsize the personnel at the various bases.
Check which ambitions for China other than maybe a more aggressive assimilation of Taiwan? Is China going to attack South Korea?

I understand that troops in Germany can be deployed different places. My question was in what scenario does the US need 35,000 troops there? In the case of a Saddam/Kuwait situation, the US can and should rely more strongly on its allies to defend an injustice.

Check which ambitions for China other than maybe a more aggressive assimilation of Taiwan? Is China going to attack South Korea?
Right now - China is exerting its military presence in the South China sea - which is one of the busiest trade routes in the world.

The area’s greatest value is as a trade route. According to a 2015 Department of Defense report, $5.3 trillion worth of goods moves through the sea every year, which is about 30 percent of global maritime trade. That includes huge amounts of oil and $1.2 trillion worth of annual trade with the United States.

Right now - China is exerting its military presence in the South China sea - which is one of the busiest trade routes in the world.

The area’s greatest value is as a trade route. According to a 2015 Department of Defense report, $5.3 trillion worth of goods moves through the sea every year, which is about 30 percent of global maritime trade. That includes huge amounts of oil and $1.2 trillion worth of annual trade with the United States.
So what do you expect them to do? Blockade routes?

Kimmy continues to work on his nuclear program while Trump continues the economic sanctions.  Would you do anything differently if you were in their position.   You apply pressure until someone blinks.   So far, everything’s looks like business as usual compared to other peace negotiations.
Which is why you require concessions in return for us being willing to return to the table. 

Users who are viewing this thread