What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Josh Freeman - what's his future hold? (4 Viewers)

I've seen UDFA scrubs just signed off the street and thrown into games against a equally bad team play better than Freeman.
Who would some of those guys be?
Shaun Hill was one of them. Guy hardly took an NFL snap before he was a 3rd string QB in playing in a horrid offense, and won his first start after Trent Dilfer went down.

The next season, even though Mike Martz tried hard to keep him away from the offense, he took over for JTO, and won games running a Mike Martz offense.
Vinny Testaverde in 2007. Went 20 of 33 for Carolina, 4 days after signing a contract at age 43. Won the game, too.

I've seen UDFA scrubs just signed off the street and thrown into games against a equally bad team play better than Freeman.
Shaun Hill was one of them. Guy hardly took an NFL snap before he was a 3rd string QB in playing in a horrid offense, and won his first start after Trent Dilfer went down.

The next season, even though Mike Martz tried hard to keep him away from the offense, he took over for JTO, and won games running a Mike Martz offense.
Vinny Testaverde in 2007. Went 20 of 33 for Carolina, 4 days after signing a contract at age 43. Won the game, too.
I'll never forget the day Vinny Testaverde went undrafted!!!

I mean, Ponder took them to the playoffs
While this statement is factually true, it's about the same as saying that Ryan Dempster took the Red Sox to the World Series this year.
fair enough I should not have used that phrasing. just Freeman's performances this year have been so bad that I am shocked that article implied he was an upgrade over the other two. where was it from?

While this statement is factually true, it's about the same as saying that Ryan Dempster took the Red Sox to the World Series this year.
fair enough I should not have used that phrasing. just Freeman's performances this year have been so bad that I am shocked that article implied he was an upgrade over the other two. where was it from?
Ummmm, from somewhere on my Twitter feed. SI.com, I believe.

Listen, I owned Ponder for a couple of years. It's not like Freeman is trying to replace Dan Fouts here. Ponder can be maddeningly awful.

Ummmm, from somewhere on my Twitter feed. SI.com, I believe.

Listen, I owned Ponder for a couple of years. It's not like Freeman is trying to replace Dan Fouts here. Ponder can be maddeningly awful.
Ponder isn't good but Freeman has been in freefall this season. a guy that another organization straight up released with only Mike Glennon behind and you have no future money owed to and hasn't shown anything resembling NFL skills this season should not be starting. he is 0/4 on completing 50% of his passes

There is no reason to look at the 23-7 victory over the Vikings any deeper than this: It was one bad team beating a really bad team. The two worst quarterbacks to play at MetLife Stadium this season: Josh Freeman of the Bucs in the season opener against the Jets and Josh Freeman of the Vikings on Monday night. He completed an abysmal 20 of 53 passes for 190 yards in his first game with Minnesota after Tampa first benched him and then cut him.

If the Giants’ luck has really changed, the Vikings this week will cut Freeman – can Christian Ponder really be worse than this guy? – and then the Eagles, who are dealing with injuries to Michael Vick and Nick Foles, will sign Freeman and start him Sunday against the Giants in Philly.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/myers-giants-win-hits-blue-note-article-1.1492445#ixzz2iQeAdBfz

Okay, mr. drummer. Just looked into this claim.

"Undrafted free agent"? CHECK.

"Played better than Freeman"? 21-28, 197 yards, 1/0. CHECK.

"Just signed off the street?" DENIED

Hill was on the 49ers active roster all of 2006 and all of 2007 before making his first start late in '07.

Good effort.... try again.

Hill was on the 49ers active roster all of 2006 and all of 2007 before making his first start late in '07.

Yeah, Hill only took like two snaps in 2005 with MIN, in kneel downs. In 2006, both Dilfer and Hill never attempted a regular season pass.

You know who did besides Alex Smith? Arnaz Battle and Michael Robinson. The latter two with one apiece.

So it's safe to say with all those NFL snaps that Hill had opposed to Freeman comparing first starts, well maybe Hill holding a clipboard for Brad Johnson, Dante Culpepper, to Alex Smith and Trent Dilfer really prepared him to hit Vernon Davis for his first passing TD as a starter (his first passing TD as a backup was to Battle).

BTW, he was playing in a offense that Ted Tollner had to fix during the season because Jim Hostler was a worse OC than current MIN OC in Bill Musgrave, who ironically passed for 4 of 5 in 1991 with a TD against CHI in mop up duty with the 49ers as a backup!

One of the worst QB performances I've ever seen. He's garbage.
I'm not his biggest fan, but calling him "garbage" simply isn't accurate. In just over four years in Tampa, his TD/INT ratio was 80/66 on a team which was eleven games under .500 during that span. Hell, a 173/220 TD/INT ratio got Joe Namath into the Hall of Fame.Put this one on Frazier and the rest of the coaching staff. He clearly wasn't prepared to play. Let's see how he looks 3 games from now... 6 games from now, and next year after having a full offseason to digest the offense.
He's not the same QB he was in 2010 for sure. Not even the same as he was last year.

thad lewis?

Local radio here in Tampa ripping Freeman a new one this morning. According to PFF, last night Freeman had a historically bad negative 11.4 rating. Worst this season by far. Even worse than Blaine Gabbert. Even before last night's game, Freeman was ranked 34th best (worst?) in accuracy trailing only Gabbert. His accuracy percentage (not completion pct) was 58%. Gabbert's was 62%. Peyton Manning was #1 at 85%. So at this point, the Jaguars were correct in keeping the faith in Gabbert when Josh Freeman came available.

When the goal is to be as good as Blaine Gabbert some day, it's bad. Really bad.

His first few years Freeman played ok. He wasnt that bad... But something snapped last year. He just flipped a switch and he started to play terribly.

That is why the rumors of drug use would at least make some sense.

He is horrific now. Why he wasnt pulled I will never know. Ponder could of won them that game.

Must be that damn playbook why all those throws were 10 feet too high. Stage 1 of the NFL drug program must not be that stringent.

I got to imagine some heads are eventually gonna roll in that organization because of Freeman (and this performance). Would be interesting to know what's going through the minds of Cassel and Ponder right now. I bet we'll soon hear one of them privately/publicly demanding for trade/release.

I wouldn't want to be Leslie Frazier right now.
I heard rumors Frazier was against the Freeman signing. I think his hand was forced here.

Has to be some of the worst QB play I have seen in years. 20 of 53? WTF, he is robbing the Vikings if they have to pay him anything for that performance.

It has to be that Frazier and the OC did not like the signing, so what better way to embarrass their new quarterback by having them throw the ball 53 times? Frazier's probably still gone but maybe gives him a little more wiggle room to say he was not given a good quarterback? I dunno

One of the worst QB performances I've ever seen. He's garbage.
I'm not his biggest fan, but calling him "garbage" simply isn't accurate. In just over four years in Tampa, his TD/INT ratio was 80/66 on a team which was eleven games under .500 during that span. Hell, a 173/220 TD/INT ratio got Joe Namath into the Hall of Fame.

Put this one on Frazier and the rest of the coaching staff. He clearly wasn't prepared to play. Let's see how he looks 3 games from now... 6 games from now, and next year after having a full offseason to digest the offense.
I would have agreed with you before watching that game. The truth is that the pressure wasn't all THAT bad, and he was missing short throws to wide open targets by significant amounts even with a clean pocket. We've all seen QBs come off the street and play for a new team after just a week or two- it's unfair, but it's been done many times before, and the guys doing it are rarely "starter caliber". Yet somehow, this guy who's been an NFL starter for 3+ years looks MUCH MUCH WORSE?

Maybe he gets it together, but I can't see it happening. That was beyond awful.

Surprised no one has mentioned his crazy googly eyes after his interceptions and errant throws. Like he's seeing something incredible, something he can't fathom. Has the look of a junkie who needs his meds. He's beyond awful and has zero composure.

That game was unwatchable last night. Both teams were awful but Freeman took awful to the next level. The Vikings would have won the game with either Ponder or Cassell as QB.

I do not understand why he was starting. He could not have looked good in practice? For Freeman to have any future in the NFL, he needs to be benched for at least 2 or 3 weeks so that he can learn more of the offense.

A lot was said about him not knowing much of the playbook. Is it still that difficult for a QB these days? They can have a double sided cheat sheet on their wrist, and can communicate with coaches through their helmets. They should be able to communicate the play to the team from the sidelines or telling Josh to read a number off his wrist. Then, the coach just needs to tell Josh where to throw.

Why did Freeman even take this job? Wouldn't he have been better off to sit the rest of the year out, give people time to forget the mess in TB and catch on with a team next year? He got a nice cheque from Minn but isn't he effectively toast now?

Raiderfan32904 said:
Surprised no one has mentioned his crazy googly eyes after his interceptions and errant throws. Like he's seeing something incredible, something he can't fathom. Has the look of a junkie who needs his meds. He's beyond awful and has zero composure.
I def noticed this - He had the dear in headlights look... I just don't understand how this guy lead TB to a successful season a few years back.

With so much focus on physical skills, not enough about the mental side of sports is discussed.

What separates the pros from the "athletic" is their ability to recover from adversity and deal with pressure. There are lots of guys who face adversity, lose it mentally and are never the same. The #1 reason there are first round busts is that some athletic freaks cant handle the mental side of the game.

Freeman is done.

The Bills went through three guys like this in the last 7 years.

JP Losman - looked great, they dropped Bledsoe so he could start, train wreck

Trent Edwards - started 2008 with a winning streak, got his clock cleaned in Ari and was never the same

Ryan Fitzpatrick - started 2011 on fire, got a huge contract, cut after 2012

I will never forget being at a Nationwide golf tournament. Some dude was 200 yards out, in VERY thick rough, hits an easy iron, three feet from the pin. I was in awe! Why wasnt this guy good enough to be on the tour? Because it is one thing to do it in a backwoods tournament with few watching, it is another to do it when everything is on the line.

bumpman said:
Deep in the back of my mind I thought there might be a chance that Freeman was just sandbagging the Bucs so he could leave.
This idea seemed, and still seems, absurd to me. This is especially crazy when you realize Freeman was going to be a free agent at the end of the year. Even if he hated playing for the Bucs, he would want to play well this year to ensure a payday next year. The NFL is a performance based league, and sandbagging could lead to at best losing millions of dollars, and at worst the end of your NFL career.

Why did Freeman even take this job? Wouldn't he have been better off to sit the rest of the year out, give people time to forget the mess in TB and catch on with a team next year? He got a nice cheque from Minn but isn't he effectively toast now?
If someone offered you 3 million dollars, you would turn it down? Really?

I am sure he didn't think he would suck.

The only thing that sucks about last night's performance is that actually makes that tool of a coach Greg Schiano look like he was right. Ugh, that's gotta leave a nasty taste in Buc fans mouths.

If I thought it put me in a better position to get a bigger, longer term contract? Yes.

If I thought it put me in a better position to get a bigger, longer term contract? Yes.
Why do you think sitting out a year would make teams want to give him more money than the Vikings did? Your logic is flawed. His best chance to get a big contract in the offseason was to sign with a team, like the Vikings, and perform well enough to justify a big contract. If he would have sat out this year, the following year he would have received a similar deal to what the Vikings gave him already.

Plus, I highly doubt Josh Freeman is thinking, "i don't want to go to the Vikings,because if I go to a team that went to the playoffs last year and has the best RB ever to play the game, I am going to suck." I've got to think that no NFL player thinks they suck, or thinks they will suck, in any circumstance.

bumpman said:
Deep in the back of my mind I thought there might be a chance that Freeman was just sandbagging the Bucs so he could leave.
This idea seemed, and still seems, absurd to me. This is especially crazy when you realize Freeman was going to be a free agent at the end of the year. Even if he hated playing for the Bucs, he would want to play well this year to ensure a payday next year. The NFL is a performance based league, and sandbagging could lead to at best losing millions of dollars, and at worst the end of your NFL career.
I agree that would be the wrong line of thinking, but I couldn't get past the possibility that Freeman might think this way, especially if he is both overconfident in his own abilities and he was emotional about how the Bucs were treating him. You really can't assume everybody is perfectly logical. Even today people in the trade Hakeem Nicks thread are speculating that Nicks is sandbagging the Giants.

Raiderfan32904 said:
I def noticed this - He had the dear in headlights look... I just don't understand how this guy lead TB to a successful season a few years back.
That smirk he had on his face all night drove me nuts.

Why do you think sitting out a year would make teams want to give him more money than the Vikings did? Your logic is flawed. His best chance to get a big contract in the offseason was to sign with a team, like the Vikings, and perform well enough to justify a big contract. If he would have sat out this year, the following year he would have received a similar deal to what the Vikings gave him already.

Plus, I highly doubt Josh Freeman is thinking, "i don't want to go to the Vikings,because if I go to a team that went to the playoffs last year and has the best RB ever to play the game, I am going to suck." I've got to think that no NFL player thinks they suck, or thinks they will suck, in any circumstance.
I'm struggling to think of guys who have managed to do this successfully...

The Vikings have already announced the Josh Freeman will start next week vs. Green Bay.

This decision is clearly coming from ownership, not the coaching staff.

I'm struggling to think of guys who have managed to do this successfully...
I'm struggling to think of QBs that were cut by their team, sat out the year, and were rewaded with a big contract in the offseason.

I was holding out hope that Freeman would bounce back once out from under the reign of Schiano, but last night was not good. Ugh. Maybe they should've given him another week or two to learn the playbook but my hope is fading fast. He was a good qb at times in Tampa but it looks like he's just lost out there. And his confidence seems toast as it should be at this point.

It has to be that Frazier and the OC did not like the signing, so what better way to embarrass their new quarterback by having them throw the ball 53 times? Frazier's probably still gone but maybe gives him a little more wiggle room to say he was not given a good quarterback? I dunno
I thought this too. Only possible explanation, right? I've seen Minny run AP into the ground regardless of how many people stacked the box, which is not a new strategy against them. 13 rush to 53 passes. Best RB in the league and brand new QB. Makes no sense.

I'll never forget the day Vinny Testaverde went undrafted!!!
Tampa fans cannot forget the day he was drafted

Users who are viewing this thread