What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Daryl Washington suspended for 4 games (1 Viewer)

Penguin

Footballguy
Per Adam Schefter via Twitter... NFL suspended Cardinals LB Daryl Washington for four games for violating league’s substance abuse policy.

Ugh

ETA: Somehow I missed the other thread :wall:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish these guys could/ would stay clean. You think you have a guy like him figured out as a "high-character" guy & then something like this.

I can't think of many guys who come back from PED suspensions the same or better. There's usually a drop in production. My evidence is purely anecdotal, thinking of guys like Merriman, Steve Gregory, DJ Williams off the top of my head.

I'm sure there are plenty of examples of players whose production isn't affected negatively by a PED suspension. Anybody know any?

I can't think of many guys who come back from PED suspensions the same or better. There's usually a drop in production. My evidence is purely anecdotal, thinking of guys like Merriman, Steve Gregory, DJ Williams off the top of my head.I'm sure there are plenty of examples of players whose production isn't affected negatively by a PED suspension. Anybody know any?
I'm not sure if you are making this statement, thinking that Washington will be a lesser player because he won't be able to use PEDs. This suspension was not for PED's, early reports are that it had to do with Drug or Alcohol abuse problems.

I can't think of many guys who come back from PED suspensions the same or better. There's usually a drop in production. My evidence is purely anecdotal, thinking of guys like Merriman, Steve Gregory, DJ Williams off the top of my head.

I'm sure there are plenty of examples of players whose production isn't affected negatively by a PED suspension. Anybody know any?
I'm not sure if you are making this statement, thinking that Washington will be a lesser player because he won't be able to use PEDs. This suspension was not for PED's, early reports are that it had to do with Drug or Alcohol abuse problems.
Exactly. This was substance abuse, not PEDs. But for dynasty owners, the more troubling news is that to get a 4 game suspension, it was his 3rd strike in the system. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/03/washington-now-one-more-mistake-away-from-a-one-year-suspension/

Also, there's this:

@AdamSchefter: Cards LB Daryl Washington has $10 million option bonus due by last day of 2013 league year. Once he's back from suspension, he's got 12-game tryout for bonus. http://t.co/UMuOtLnNcY

I can't think of many guys who come back from PED suspensions the same or better. There's usually a drop in production. My evidence is purely anecdotal, thinking of guys like Merriman, Steve Gregory, DJ Williams off the top of my head.I'm sure there are plenty of examples of players whose production isn't affected negatively by a PED suspension. Anybody know any?
I remember the whole Cushing thing; he worked ot too much :) but he was still good afterwards

I'm just making sure I got this correct.....

Washington has been busted for using non-PED drugs and/or alcohol. Again, the suspension is not PED related.

The 4 game suspension is because this was his THIRD infraction of the above. A 4th related infraction would mean a full 1 year suspension.

He would have gone into the "NFL drug rehab system" after his 1st offense. So the 2nd and 3rd offenses came AFTER he was already "in the system".

He lost his defensive coordinator, and with a $10M roster bonus due at the end of the 2013 NFL calendar year, he may/likely not be a Cardinal anymore.

Are we still calling him a top 5 dynasty LB? Still top 10?

Washington has been busted for using non-PED drugs and/or alcohol. Again, the suspension is not PED related.

The 4 game suspension is because this was his THIRD infraction of the above. A 4th related infraction would mean a full 1 year suspension.

He would have gone into the "NFL drug rehab system" after his 1st offense. So the 2nd and 3rd offenses came AFTER he was already "in the system".

He lost his defensive coordinator, and with a $10M roster bonus due at the end of the 2013 NFL calendar year, he may/likely not be a Cardinal anymore.

It does appear that there is a lot stacked up against him. However, IF he can get away from the aclohol, etc, talent is talent. If he comes back from suspension and puts up the numbers he did last year, the team will pay the bonus. And if they don't, then that means he is porbably going somewhere on a one year prove it deal, which means he probably ends up with the Patriots, Giants, Ravens or some other good team that is known to try out other people's problem children and will flourish. To me, I don't move him at all in dynasty rankings and I simply root for him to get his demons contained. The talent is there. Now he needs maturity, will power, and support.

Hopefully Washington just made several bad decisions and got unlucky on the timing of his 3 failed drug tests. However, there is a possibility that he has a full blown dependency problem and we all know how that could end. That next strike is a career killer. I don't know if a team can build its defense around a guy that has the sword of damocles hanging over his head.

Yeah, I was assuming it was PEDs. Natural cynicism I guess. In that case I don't see a reason to worry about his production as long as he can get his issues under control. Wish him the best.

I'm splitting hairs a bit, but I doubt it is alcohol related. There haven't been the press clippings for that (such as DUI, domestic violence, etc.). You don't get busted by the NFL for consuming alcohol. You get busted by the NFL for doing stupid things when drunk.

The good news is that if it isn't PED's, you have to think sobriety may even be a good thing for him on the field.

The bad news is that even if it's weed, not being able to give it up after previous strikes is a good indication we are in full blown addiction territory, not just casual use. And that is a situation where you just kinda wait for the other shoe to drop.

Users who are viewing this thread