What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Is Jonathan Stewart a buy low? (2 Viewers)

Yea, I'm not really a believer in Sims. Partially because I'm a Martin fan and partially because I just don't think he's very good. If you're going to be stuck with a guy who's in a committee, you might as well choose the guy who will get week one touches and possibly be useful this season. The Panthers kept Stewart in bubble wrap during their week 4 preseason game. You can turn that into a joke about his lack of durability if you're so inclined, but really it tells me that they think he's an important part of what they want to do.

banged up Cam, more GL carries for Mr. Stewart. oh how we forget how much talent this guy has. maybe this is the year he puts it together. i want to be on the ride when if it happens. for the low bargin price, can't believe more people on not on board.

banged up Cam, more GL carries for Mr. Stewart. oh how we forget how much talent this guy has. maybe this is the year he puts it together. i want to be on the ride when if it happens. for the low bargin price, can't believe more people on not on board.
Is it really so surprising?

Take everyone that was on board in 2009 and subtract those burned in 2010, then remove those burned in 2011, make sure to take off all those burned in 2012 and finally get rid of everyone burned in 2013. Now look around at all the empty seats, is it still surprising?

Oh my..

DeAngelo Williams was added to the Panthers' injury report on Thursday, missing practice with a thigh issue.
According to the Charlotte Observer, D-Will woke up sore on Thursday. Mid-week adds to the injury report are never a good thing, but especially when a player goes from full go to DNP. For now, Williams should be considered questionable. If he can't go against the Lions, Jonathan Stewart will carry the mail, with Mike Tolbert checking in more often as a power change of pace.

Oh my..

DeAngelo Williams was added to the Panthers' injury report on Thursday, missing practice with a thigh issue.
According to the Charlotte Observer, D-Will woke up sore on Thursday. Mid-week adds to the injury report are never a good thing, but especially when a player goes from full go to DNP. For now, Williams should be considered questionable. If he can't go against the Lions, Jonathan Stewart will carry the mail, with Mike Tolbert checking in more often as a power change of pace.
:excited:

It's happening....

Oh my..

Oh yeah baby. The long wait Stewart owners have suffered through......is about to pay off!!

until the middle of the 1st quarter, when he strains his ###### while leaning over to tie his shoes

Oh my..

Oh yeah baby. The long wait Stewart owners have suffered through......is about to pay off!!

until the middle of the 1st quarter, when he strains his ###### while leaning over to tie his shoes
I'm just hoping he doesn't break an ankle jumping up and down in excitement.

Oh my..

Jonathan Stewart would get hurt carrying the mail.

Oh my..

The mailman doesn't deliver on Sunday and neither does Stewart.

I really feel like he's going to show something this week. I'm a Lions fan, I like their defensive front, but on the road they can be run on. New York couldn't get to the second level, I think Carolina will be able to.

I don't think Newton is going to be running the ball or darting out of the pocket making plays. I think Carolina is going to lean on Tolbert and Stewart to keep the Detroit offense off the field and Stewart is going to break a couple long ones. I think Tolbert and Stewart will find the end zone.

On a serious note, I'm curious to see how he does. I thought he looked great in his first preseason game back from injury, but somewhat plodderific in the next game. I really hope that we see the JStew of old this weekend and not a guy who looks like late-period Michael Turner.

On a serious note, I'm curious to see how he does. I thought he looked great in his first preseason game back from injury, but somewhat plodderific in the next game. I really hope that we see a guy who looks like late-period Michael Turner and not the JStew of old this weekend.
Fixed.

Late-period Turner had a higher VBD number than all six years of Stewart's career. As a Stewart owner I'd be thrilled with 2012 Turner numbers.

On a serious note, I'm curious to see how he does. I thought he looked great in his first preseason game back from injury, but somewhat plodderific in the next game. I really hope that we see the JStew of old this weekend and not a guy who looks like late-period Michael Turner.
I thought I was the only one who saw this. In preseason he looked great, some really springy moves and he almost looked lighter on his feet. The first game against the Bucs however, 'plodderific' describes it perfectly.

DWil not confirmed out yet, right? Thread makes me think I missed something...
How often do players who are sidelined both Thursday and Friday play on Sunday? Not that often.

DeAngelo Williams (thigh) remained sidelined at Panthers practice Friday.
Williams was added to the injury report on Thursday and has missed each of the past two practices. Not that Williams needs to practice to play, but his mid-week soreness has become a concern heading into the weekend. If DeAngelo can't go, Jonathan Stewart will carry a full load with Mike Tolbert as the COP.
Slightly off topic, I was watching a video on Tolbert and how he lost 13 lbs coming into the season. No wonder him and JStew are so close in weight. I disagree with rotoworld in that Tolbert will be a COP guy, they'll likely split work. When DWills sat out against TB last year, JStew got 14 carries, 3 catches where as Tolbert had 9 carries, 3 catches. Week 1 broke down like this..

M. Tolbert - 47% - 7 carries - 4 targets (1 RZ target)

D. Williams - 37% - 14 carries - 1 target

J. Stewart - 35% - 9 rushes - 3 carries (1 RZ target)

Tolbert may actually have some flex value in PPR this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Stewart a good play even if Williams doesn't play? The Lions have a good run defense and the Panthers will need to throw a lot to keep up with the Lions offense.

Right now I have him starting for me but doesn't seem like a great play.

How many years have many of us looked forward to this day
It happened last year and he was dissapointing. He rushed 14 times for 39 yards (2.8YPC) and caught 2 balls for 3 yards. Unsurprisingly, Toblert was infinitely more effective on that day (9 carries for 48 yards (5.3YPC) and 3 receptions for 41 yards).

DET has a stout interior so I'll continue to assert that his ceiling is something like 15/60/0 - 5/35/1. Do not be terribly surprised if Tolbert outproduces him once again.

Full disclosure, I'll probably start JStew somewhere.

Oh my..

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

As others have said above, this is obviously an arrow-up for Stewart, but this looks like it could still be a tough matchup. I think Carolina can probably run on Detroit better than the Giants, but something like 18/60 could be the outcome, with Tolbert and Cam vulturing TDs per usual. I'm not sure Stewart's an insta-start over your Pierre Thomases/Fred Jacksons of the world, for example.

Last edited by a moderator:
:banned: Well, I picked him up for a $0 bid in waivers last night, dropping Charles Clay. It's now or never....

Oh my..

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
So good

Picked up JSTEW but now I have to decide between him and S. Greene in my non-ppr flex.

Still leaning towards Greene against DAL.

But I agree, it is now or never time for this guy. Opportunities are running out.

DWills is inactive as expected. I'm not rolling with JStew anywhere and can't even trade in my leagues but I really want to see him have a good game.

In ppr redraft, I am benching Stewart and going with Toby Gerhart at the Redskins. I am just not sure that I have the stomach to tolerate another lackluster Stewart performance.

Against my better judgment, I rostered him in one league this year (he was a buck at the end of an auction and I needed another RB), but I refuse to start him. No freaking way. If by some miracle he actually does well, at least he'll be on my bench rather than someone else's starting lineup.

Run blocking is Carolina's biggest flaw so far:

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/8781/run-blocking-is-carolinas-biggest-flaw-so-far

Excerpt:

Jonathan Stewart led Carolina with 37 yards against the Lions. Twenty-two of those came on one run.

"And those yards were all from second effort on his part,'' Kalil said. "Imagine if we could block a little better for him how many yards he could get.''

"Jonathan, he just ran his butt off. Even on the [2-yard] touchdown, he had three guys on him. If you watch film on it, it's unbelievable. We've got to do a better job of blocking for him.''

The Panthers have to do a better job of run blocking all the way around to remain the ball-control team they want to be. An average of 87.5 yards in two games for 3.1 yards per carry won't cut it for a team that averaged 126.6 yards a game, 4.2 yards per carry, in 2013.

Take away the 22-yard run, and Stewart had 15 yards on his remaining 14 carries. You do the math. Not good.

The haters are :scared: praying he injures his ankle soon so they can pile on the negativity again.
No need to hope for an injury. DeAngelo will be back to kill all of Stewart's value either this week or next. And really, dude, Stewart's under 100 YFS total on the year on 2.375 yards per. Pretty sure the "haters" are winning at this point.

Run blocking is Carolina's biggest flaw so far:

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/8781/run-blocking-is-carolinas-biggest-flaw-so-far

Excerpt:

Jonathan Stewart led Carolina with 37 yards against the Lions. Twenty-two of those came on one run.

"And those yards were all from second effort on his part,'' Kalil said. "Imagine if we could block a little better for him how many yards he could get.''

"Jonathan, he just ran his butt off. Even on the [2-yard] touchdown, he had three guys on him. If you watch film on it, it's unbelievable. We've got to do a better job of blocking for him.''

The Panthers have to do a better job of run blocking all the way around to remain the ball-control team they want to be. An average of 87.5 yards in two games for 3.1 yards per carry won't cut it for a team that averaged 126.6 yards a game, 4.2 yards per carry, in 2013.

Take away the 22-yard run, and Stewart had 15 yards on his remaining 14 carries. You do the math. Not good.
I absolutely refuse to take away the 22 yard run.

Users who are viewing this thread