What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Is Jonathan Stewart a buy low? (1 Viewer)

We're talking fantasy football here, correct? I don't know of any leagues that get points for games played. When has he "suited up and delivered" for fantasy owners? He's been a bust for the overwhelming majority of his career, and injuries have played a big part of that IMO. These aren't the same "minor" injuries almost every NFL player has to deal with.

This isn't a fluke, this is an every single year issue, including college. I like the guy and I'm rooting for him, I do think he's very talented, but to try and act as if he's no more injury prone than anyone else is ridiculous.
The reason he hasn't "suited up and delivered" for FF owners is mostly unrelated to his injuries. The lack of carries is the main culprit there and that owes more to DeAngelo's presence than Stewart's inability to stay on the field. He has been healthy for most of the games in his career. He hasn't been a productive FF player because the volume of work hasn't been there. Using his lack of production as proof that his injuries have held him back is misguided.

Through five years he's played in 71 out of a possible 80 games. That's 88.75%. I'm not going to do the math for every notable RB in the NFL, but I'd venture to guess that it's a pretty decent ratio. So while the "he can't stay healthy" line of thinking definitely applies to his 2012 season, it doesn't apply to his career to date. As I've said many times, I think many people are latching onto that narrative because it's a convenient and immediate explanation. That doesn't mean it's a particularly good one. He's recovering from injury. So were Jamaal Charles and Adrian Peterson last year. Didn't mean their careers were over.

My take on Stewart'ss NFL career is that he's a very good player whose production has been limited by the presence of another very good player at his position. Williams has killed Stewart's FF value, and vice versa. Durability might be a problem for him going forward, but it hasn't been a massive problem to date. Saying otherwise is putting too much emphasis on the immediate past and not enough on the bigger picture. He actually played in 62 out of 64 possible games in his first four years, so the idea that he'll never be able to stay healthy is pretty suspect. The 2012 injury definitely changes the equation and raises some questions about his fitness going forward, but this is not a player who has been a constant presence on the injury report throughout his NFL career.
There's all sorts of wrong in this post, but there may not be another player who has appeared on the injury report more than Stewart has throughout his NFL career. It's truly amazing how blind you are when it comes to certain players, and Stewart is at the top of that list.

We're talking fantasy football here, correct? I don't know of any leagues that get points for games played. When has he "suited up and delivered" for fantasy owners? He's been a bust for the overwhelming majority of his career, and injuries have played a big part of that IMO. These aren't the same "minor" injuries almost every NFL player has to deal with.

This isn't a fluke, this is an every single year issue, including college. I like the guy and I'm rooting for him, I do think he's very talented, but to try and act as if he's no more injury prone than anyone else is ridiculous.
The reason he hasn't "suited up and delivered" for FF owners is mostly unrelated to his injuries. The lack of carries is the main culprit there and that owes more to DeAngelo's presence than Stewart's inability to stay on the field. He has been healthy for most of the games in his career. He hasn't been a productive FF player because the volume of work hasn't been there. Using his lack of production as proof that his injuries have held him back is misguided.

Through five years he's played in 71 out of a possible 80 games. That's 88.75%. I'm not going to do the math for every notable RB in the NFL, but I'd venture to guess that it's a pretty decent ratio. So while the "he can't stay healthy" line of thinking definitely applies to his 2012 season, it doesn't apply to his career to date. As I've said many times, I think many people are latching onto that narrative because it's a convenient and immediate explanation. That doesn't mean it's a particularly good one. He's recovering from injury. So were Jamaal Charles and Adrian Peterson last year. Didn't mean their careers were over.

My take on Stewart'ss NFL career is that he's a very good player whose production has been limited by the presence of another very good player at his position. Williams has killed Stewart's FF value, and vice versa. Durability might be a problem for him going forward, but it hasn't been a massive problem to date. Saying otherwise is putting too much emphasis on the immediate past and not enough on the bigger picture. He actually played in 62 out of 64 possible games in his first four years, so the idea that he'll never be able to stay healthy is pretty suspect. The 2012 injury definitely changes the equation and raises some questions about his fitness going forward, but this is not a player who has been a constant presence on the injury report throughout his NFL career.
There's all sorts of wrong in this post, but there may not be another player who has appeared on the injury report more than Stewart has throughout his NFL career. It's truly amazing how blind you are when it comes to certain players, and Stewart is at the top of that list.
I posted this before, but EBF must've missed this as well.

Lets look at the ankle/lower leg injuries:

-Sophomore in HS, missed almost half the season due to an ankle injury

-Freshman year of college, missed 2 games and was limited in others due to an ankle injury

-Sophomore season, missed time due to lingering ankle issues

-March 2008(after combine), surgery on big toe

-2009 battled Achilles/heel/toe injuries and was listed as questionable for 9 games/probably for 6 more games

-2010 listed as probably due to a foot injury(missed 2 games due to a concussion as well)

-2012 right ankle injury, misses 7 games, listed as questionable/doubtful/probable on pretty much every other game and hurt ankle in preseason

-2013 surgery on both ankles

Hakeem Nicks played through injuries last year, but that didn't reward FF owners, same with Trent Richardson(3.6 ypc).

I posted this before, but EBF must've missed this as well.

Lets look at the ankle/lower leg injuries:

-Sophomore in HS, missed almost half the season due to an ankle injury

-Freshman year of college, missed 2 games and was limited in others due to an ankle injury

-Sophomore season, missed time due to lingering ankle issues

-March 2008(after combine), surgery on big toe

-2009 battled Achilles/heel/toe injuries and was listed as questionable for 9 games/probably for 6 more games

-2010 listed as probably due to a foot injury(missed 2 games due to a concussion as well)

-2012 right ankle injury, misses 7 games, listed as questionable/doubtful/probable on pretty much every other game and hurt ankle in preseason

-2013 surgery on both ankles

Hakeem Nicks played through injuries last year, but that didn't reward FF owners, same with Trent Richardson(3.6 ypc).
If EBF is saying that Stewart's lack of playing time is mostly due to the presence of DeAngelo Williams,and not due to injury,

I would say it's an even bigger indictment on the talent level and future prospects of Stewart. Either way, injury or depth chart issues, it doesn't bode well for one Jonathan Stewart going forward.

I think we just have a different way of looking at this player.

In the 4 years between 2008-2011, Stewart played in 62 out of 64 games (96.9% of all possible games). He carried the ball 725 times for 3500 yards (4.83 YPC).

Yet you are saying that he's not capable of staying healthy and that constant injuries have prevented him from making an impact in FF.

I don't see it that way. There's definitely a pattern of nagging minor foot/ankle problems, but this past season was the first time when it prevented Stewart from getting on the field and playing well. Maybe that's a sign of things to come. Maybe it's a temporary setback that will be resolved with surgery and a period of recovery.

My line of reasoning here is very straightforward.

- Stewart has been a very effective NFL player throughout his career.

- The main thing that has held him back in FF terms is a lack of opportunity.

- With DeAngelo Williams on the wrong end of 30, he will eventually be phased out and Stewart might have an opportunity to be the unquestioned lead back.

- Stewart is currently injured, but there's a realistic chance that he will make a full recovery and play at a high level for several more years.

I understand if people aren't as optimistic about Stewart as I am, but I don't think it's a giant stretch to hold out hope for this player. The reasoning makes sense. Where I think I mainly disagree with the conventional take on him is that I don't equate the lack of opportunity with a lack of performance. Stewart has been a very good NFL player, but a massive bust in FF. That's a matter of opportunity, not performance. Secondly, I'm more optimistic about his chances of recovering/staying healthy in the future. If I thought he had no chance to come back and play well, I would be a lot more pessimistic, but I'm open to the possibility of him making a full recovery and playing well for a few more years.

I don't know if it has been mentioned earlier, but IMO Stewart started to look bad when Cam Newton became the QB and they started doing all read-option type runs. I just don't think that fits his running style at all. If it is true that Carolina plans to do more traditional runs, I think he'll look better - provided he gets healthy.

In the 4 years between 2008-2011, Stewart played in 62 out of 64 games (96.9% of all possible games). He carried the ball 725 times for 3500 yards (4.83 YPC).

Yet you are saying that he's not capable of staying healthy and that constant injuries have prevented him from making an impact in FF.

I don't see it that way. There's definitely a pattern of nagging minor foot/ankle problems, but this past season was the first time when it prevented Stewart from getting on the field and playing well. Maybe that's a sign of things to come. Maybe it's a temporary setback that will be resolved with surgery and a period of recovery.

- With DeAngelo Williams on the wrong end of 30, he will eventually be phased out and Stewart might have an opportunity to be the unquestioned lead back.

- Stewart is currently injured, but there's a realistic chance that he will make a full recovery and play at a high level for several more years.

I understand if people aren't as optimistic about Stewart as I am, but I don't think it's a giant stretch to hold out hope for this player. The reasoning makes sense. Where I think I mainly disagree with the conventional take on him is that I don't equate the lack of opportunity with a lack of performance. Stewart has been a very good NFL player, but a massive bust in FF. That's a matter of opportunity, not performance. Secondly, I'm more optimistic about his chances of recovering/staying healthy in the future. If I thought he had no chance to come back and play well, I would be a lot more pessimistic, but I'm open to the possibility of him making a full recovery and playing well for a few more years.
No one is more optimistic about Stewart than you. :hophead:

Completely agree. Stewart is chronically nicked up with ankle and foot injuries, going back to high school when he broke his ankle as a sophomore. It should be clear by this point that his wheels are simply not built to handle the wear and tear or the weight he plays at. Williams has also killed his fantasy value and vice versa, but that's partly because Williams has always been the better all around RB in real life while Stewart was the better RB on paper.

Here's when these RBs broke out again:

Thomas Jones-Switched teams

Cedric Benson-Switched teams

Marshawn Lynch-Switched teams

Reggie Bush-Switched teams

Larry Johnson-3rd year with drafted team

CJ Spiller- 3rd year with drafted team

Jonathan Stewart- entering 6th year with drafted team

One of these doesn't look like the others
This is a good rebuttal, but it's incomplete.

Thomas Jones-Suffered from undiagnosed pleurisy, thought he had chest injuries. Left team, was successful.

Cedric Benson-Stuck behind Thomas Jones for most of his first two years. Earned the starting job the following year, got hurt, went to Bengals.

Marshawn Lynch-Broke 1000 yards in each of his first two seasons. In year three, he was suspended for misdemeanor weapons charge, then supplanted by Fred Jackson.

Reggie Bush-1300 total yards/8 tds as a rookie while deuce mcallister started. Took over as starter the following year when Deuce got hurt, but got injured himself in a 998 yard, 6 TD campaign. Missed time again the following year, and split carries with both Deuce and Pierre Thomas.

Larry Johnson-Rookie year, sat behind Priest Holmes during his record breaking 27 rushing TD season. The following year, Priest was a beast for the first 8 games then got hurt, opening the door for Johnson to explode. Johnson took over from there.

CJ Spiller- Started as #3 RB behind Marshawn (briefly) and Fred Jackson. Following year, split time with Jackson and was serviceable (850/6). Blew up in year 3 when Jackson got hurt.

Jonathan Stewart- 883/10 as a rookie splitting time with DeAngelo Williams. 1272/7 as a sophomore, despite DeAngelo playing (and well - 1362/7) for 13 games. In his third year, dropped to 873/3 as the Clausen-led Panthers went 2-14 and were the worst offense in the NFL. In his fourth year, rebounded with 1174/5 as DeAngelo played 16 games and Cam Newton set an NFL record for rushing TDs. Hurt in 2012, and played just 9 games, after playing 16, 16, 14 and 16 in his first four seasons.

I don't have an agenda here - I think this is an interesting conversation about two players who could each have value this season. I traded for DeAngelo a couple months ago in a dynasty and would love to see him do well, but I traded for him as a flier, nothing more. Personally, I think DeAngelo will be a solid RB in 2013, and I think Stewart has potential in 2014 and beyond I think this situation is different from each of the situations above, because this is the first and only time I can remember so much talent in one backfield. I would be surprised if Stewart was ever a top 5 RB playing behind Cam, but I can see him having real upside later in his career.

Williams looked nice when the Panthers went 5-1 at the end of last season ... They are going to run the ball so much this season... One of these RB's is going to be Money in the Bank...

I don't know if it has been mentioned earlier, but IMO Stewart started to look bad when Cam Newton became the QB and they started doing all read-option type runs. I just don't think that fits his running style at all. If it is true that Carolina plans to do more traditional runs, I think he'll look better - provided he gets healthy.
Stewart had a career-high 5.4 ypc in 2011 with Cam Newton.

Completely agree. Stewart is chronically nicked up with ankle and foot injuries, going back to high school when he broke his ankle as a sophomore. It should be clear by this point that his wheels are simply not built to handle the wear and tear or the weight he plays at. Williams has also killed his fantasy value and vice versa, but that's partly because Williams has always been the better all around RB in real life while Stewart was the better RB on paper.
:goodposting:

Stewart has been a very good NFL player, but a massive bust in FF. That's a matter of opportunity, not performance. Secondly, I'm more optimistic about his chances of recovering/staying healthy in the future.
In fantasy I just don't see a significantly more enticing situation this year or in the future. Williams restructured his deal and may well be phased out but that doesn't sound like something that will be dramatic or abrupt. The Panthers avoided giving Stewart his opportunity to shine when they re-did Williams' deal and a lot of fantasy owners turned the page that day. It's hard to argue that their decision wasn't also based on fairly simple and sound logic. If the torch takes a couple of years to be passed, all of a sudden Stewart is the one staring at 30 and the younger half of the committee is now on the roster.

For what it's worth, the latest ankle injuries (and Dr. Bramel's take on them) have moved me from a strong Stewart buyer to a tentative Stewart seller. He was a great gamble that never paid out, and there's no sense riding him into the ground trying to recover the sunk cost. I'm not initiating a firesale, but I think this is the first time I'd be open to selling him for market value.

At this point, I'm thinking that 10 years from now Stewart will be nothing more than a "what if?" question, like a "what if Brady had been drafted in the 6th by the Colts instead of the Patriots?" The talent is still there for Stewart to prove me wrong, but I'm still going to test the market and see what I can get. At least I'll always have my memories and my 2009 championship trophies.

Adam Harstad said:
For what it's worth, the latest ankle injuries (and Dr. Bramel's take on them) have moved me from a strong Stewart buyer to a tentative Stewart seller. He was a great gamble that never paid out, and there's no sense riding him into the ground trying to recover the sunk cost. I'm not initiating a firesale, but I think this is the first time I'd be open to selling him for market value.

At this point, I'm thinking that 10 years from now Stewart will be nothing more than a "what if?" question, like a "what if Brady had been drafted in the 6th by the Colts instead of the Patriots?" The talent is still there for Stewart to prove me wrong, but I'm still going to test the market and see what I can get. At least I'll always have my memories and my 2009 championship trophies.
So if you are selling in dynasty, what would you be happy to get for him? If you were buying what would you give? Basically what is his fair market value? One has to think that buyers are desperate if looking at him. But desperate and foolish are not same thing. So the price determines foolish or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

So if you are selling in dynasty, what would you be happy to get for him? If you were buying what would you give? Basically what is his fair market value? One has to think that buyers are desperate if looking at him. But desperate and foolish are not same thing. So the price determines foolish or not.
FBGs staff consensus has him at RB30. That seems reasonable to me. I'd trade him straight up for Ben Tate, Bernard Pierce, or Reggie Bush in any format. Depending on my own particular roster needs, I would be open to moving him for someone like Bryce Brown (on a younger roster that's not competing this year) or Chris Ivory (on a roster that could use immediate RB depth). If I had a strong contender with a huge hole at RB, I'd even consider Frank Gore or Steven Jackson, though I typically shy away from both.

After I released Stewart another owner picked him up. He says "I'll just cut him if he doesn't perform." I had to chuckle.

FBGs staff consensus has him at RB30. That seems reasonable to me. I'd trade him straight up for Ben Tate, Bernard Pierce, or Reggie Bush in any format. Depending on my own particular roster needs, I would be open to moving him for someone like Bryce Brown (on a younger roster that's not competing this year) or Chris Ivory (on a roster that could use immediate RB depth). If I had a strong contender with a huge hole at RB, I'd even consider Frank Gore or Steven Jackson, though I typically shy away from both.
I would have gladly traded him away for any of those player but I can't think of a single owner who would make that trade in any of my leagues. I think he's more in the Daniel Thomas range.

Ron Rivera: Jonathan Stewart on target for Week 1By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Around The League opined in early July that Jonathan Stewart's recovery from twin ankle surgeries would be one of the top injury stories to monitor this summer. Unfortunately, updates on Stewart's condition have been sparse since the Carolina Panthers placed the running back on the active/physically unable to perform list at the onset of training camp.

With that uncertainty in mind, it was a pleasant surprise when Panthers coach Ron Rivera said Monday that Stewart still is on target to be ready for the season opener.

"Oh yeah, based on what's been going on the last couple days," Rivera said, via the Panthers' official website. "I feel pretty optimistic."

One national report from two weeks ago suggested that Carolina had no clue when Stewart would be ready to return to the practice field.

We still have no update on when that return might occur, though Rivera's comments imply it will be sooner rather than later.

The Panthers have assembled the talent to make a playoff run this season. To make it happen, they're going to need Stewart as a third playmaking fiddle behind Cam Newton and Steve Smith.

The Around The League Podcast is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.

Rotoworld:

Jonathan Stewart (ankles) has been ruled out for Thursday's preseason game, and coach Ron Rivera admits he may open the regular season on the reserve/PUP list.
Reserve/PUP would cost Stewart the first six games. "At this point anything is an option," Rivera said Tuesday. "What you're hoping is you can get him on the football field and we'll see once the doctor gets a chance to look at him." Stewart has been limited to side work in camp as he recovers from surgery to both ankles. Stewart is shaping up as a dangerous mid-round flier, while DeAngelo Williams' stock is increasing by the day.

Source: Associated Press

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Panthers haven't given up hope that Jonathan Stewart (ankles) can play Week 1, but it's "not realistic" to expect him to.
Stewart will meet with Dr. Robert Anderson next week to determine when he might be able to play. Last week, coach Ron Rivera expressed optimism in Stewart's availability for the opener, but conceded Tuesday that the reserve/PUP list is a possibility. Stewart has been limited to riding the stationary bike for much of camp. We wouldn't invest a fantasy pick in him until the late rounds.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Jonathan Stewart will receive a second opinion on his ailing ankles from Dr. Robert Anderson on Tuesday.
It's believed to be Stewart's right ankle that's giving him the most trouble. He's told reporters his left ankle is fine. Whatever the case, Stewart is highly unlikely to play in Week 1 and is a candidate for the reserve/PUP list to open the year. Anderson's findings will determine the next course of action. Williams is worth consideration in rounds seven and eight of drafts.

Source: Jonathan Jones on Twitter

Don't sleep on Tolbert. Williams has looked rather pedestrian, IMO. The line has a lot to do with that, admittedly, but Williams isn't breaking tackles and creating on his own either. They may have to have a guy that can break some tackles to be consistently productive, and bowling-ball Tolbert may get a whole lot more work than anyone is suspecting. He's already getting goal line work, and he's a receiving threat as well.

Can't wait to hear the positive spin about the PUP list.

Missing half a season doesn't mean that much in dynasty terms for a 26 year old player. My main concern is that he gets back to 100%.

If it takes a week, fine. If it takes two months, fine.

The most important thing is that it happens.

Missing half a season doesn't mean that much in dynasty terms for a 26 year old player. My main concern is that he gets back to 100%.

:lmao:

:lmao:
I'll be the first to say I liked JSTEW for the longest time and stuck with him as long as I could but EBF is starting to look like

Edward John Smith here (captain of the Titanic for those who are unaware).

Another guy who's been on the HMS Stewart for a long time, but is putting the lifeboat in the waters. The guy is super talented, but between the situation and injuries it just isn't looking good going forward. Wouldn't be surprised to find that the ankle requires another surgery at this point either. That's a long time for it not to heal.

Don't sleep on Tolbert. Williams has looked rather pedestrian, IMO. The line has a lot to do with that, admittedly, but Williams isn't breaking tackles and creating on his own either. They may have to have a guy that can break some tackles to be consistently productive, and bowling-ball Tolbert may get a whole lot more work than anyone is suspecting. He's already getting goal line work, and he's a receiving threat as well.
Tolbert did not see a single touch in the third preseason game. Why do you think he'll be the RB2?

Tolbert did not see a single touch in the third preseason game. Why do you think he'll be the RB2?
He's been nursing a hamstring strain. Expected to be good to go for the season opener... may even play Thursday.

The line isn't getting any better... at best, they've got to hope it's serviceable. With Tolbert, you're getting a goalline guy already, especially intriguing since they've said they don't want Cam doing too much near the stripe. He's also a very accomplished receiver out of the backfield. DW's averaging a robust 2.4 ypc this preseason and is surrounded by whispers from the team that he's lost a step and they need someone to take a significant share of the load. Poole could be that guy, and is running ahead of Barner, who looks like he needs a redshirt year. My money is on Tolbert though given we've seen him pound the rock before. He's the one that's most adept at breaking tackles and getting the tough inside yards, which is what they're going to need with this line. Add it all up - I'm handcuffing there.

As for Stew - I'm still holding to the talent, but I hope they take whatever measures are needed to get him healthy. From what I've heard and read, it's one ankle that didn't heal properly, while the other is just fine. If it requires another scope or whatever, fine. Just get it fixed.

It over Dude, sometimes its best to just admit your mistakes and move on, Forte, JStew, etc.

We all do it

Oh, I definitely don't like the fact that he's not 100% yet. And if the ankle does indeed require more work, that's even more bad news.

I'm just not sure why the latest news blurb is supposed to move the needle when we've known for weeks and months that he probably wouldn't be able to go at the start of the year. I've been saying for a while that his remaining dynasty value is all based on the prospect of him getting healthy and putting together a couple decent seasons on the back end (age 27-30). What happens in the next month or two will have no effect on that. However, it is somewhat important that he gets healthy at some point this season and shows that he's back to a decent level. What doesn't matter is whether that happens in September or December. Only that it happens. I was never looking at Stewart as a 2013 redraft value. Only long term dynasty.

My hunch is that he's faking it so the Panthers release him after this season and he's finally free... the fantasy gods have heard my pleas!! :tebow: :tebow: :tebow:

Tolbert is hurt. Not like Jonathan Stewart hurt, but it was enough to keep him out of the preseason. I think he is probably good to guy week 1.

It over Dude, sometimes its best to just admit your mistakes and move on, Forte, JStew, etc.

We all do it
Are you comparing Matt Forte and JStew? Am I missing something?

We all do it
EBF thought Forte wasn't NFL/FF material.

We all do it
EBF thought Forte wasn't NFL/FF material.
Cool, that makes a lot more sense.

Rotoworld:

Jonathan Stewart (ankles) is on track to return in Week 7.
Week 7 is the first week Stewart is eligible to come off the PUP list. If his ankles are right, he'll quickly slide right back into a timeshare with DeAngelo Williams. Williams is averaging 20.6 carries per game this season, a number that would stand to take a major hit. Still, Stewart is a wait-and-see stash for deep leaguers only. Chronically injured committee backs that don't get goal-line work are nothing to get too excited about -- even if they are very talented.

Related: DeAngelo Williams

Source: Charlotte Observer

Rotoworld:

Panthers RB Jonathan Stewart (ankles, PUP) admits he's still dealing with "discomfort," and probably needs a "couple weeks" before he's game ready.
Stewart does not expect to play this week. From the sound of things, he won't be ready before the end of October. The Panthers have through Week 9 to activate Stewart from the PUP list and get him back into practice. We're beginning to grow skeptical he'll play at all this season, though that's just speculation. Either way, DeAngelo Williams is locked into feature back duties for at least another 1-2 weeks. J-Stew is a low-upside stash.

Source: Joseph Person on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Panthers coach Ron Rivera told reporters Friday Jonathan Stewart (ankle, PUP) could return to practice next week.
The "earliest" Stewart would play in a game would be Week 9, though it sounds like he's trending in the right direction. Per beat writer Joe Person, Stewart went through his "most extensive workout" on Friday, and the team "wants to see how he feels tomorrow." Stewart has yet to be activated to the 53-man roster, and will be in street clothes for Sunday's battle with the Rams.

Source: Joe Person on Twitter

(KFFL)Carolina Panthers head coach Ron Rivera said RB Jonathan Stewart (ankle) will participate in practice this week but is not sure if Stewart will be able to play Week 8.
:pickle:

Most important variable now is whether he looks like the JStew of old when he gets back or the JStew of 2012.

I think the real reason Ronde Barber retired is because he heard JStew was coming off the DL in a few months:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7HXhxVjAIE

Rotoworld:

Coach Ron Rivera suggested Jonathan Stewart (ankle, PUP) could be ready for Week 9.
Rivera said Stewart "had a really good week last week." He's expected to practice Tuesday, thus starting a 21-day clock for him to be activated off PUP or go on IR. At this point, it looks like Stewart is going to be eased in as a complement behind DeAngelo Williams as soon as Week 9. If he proves healthy, we know he has the talent to forge at least an even timeshare.

Rotoworld:

Jonathan Stewart (ankles) said he expects to play Sunday against the Falcons.
Stewart returned to practice last week and took the majority of first-team reps Wednesday with DeAngelo Williams (quad) sidelined. Barring a setback, he'll be activated off the PUP list for Week 9. Stewart will be part of a crowded backfield with Williams and Mike Tolbert, but is a low-end RB3/FLEX option.

Source: Steve Reed on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Jonathan Stewart - RB - Panthers
When asked about his running backs, coach Ron Rivera said the Panthers "can't worry" about "making sure everyone gets enough touches."
It's about to get real crowded in Carolina's backfield. Jonathan Stewart (ankle) is reportedly looking very good and expected to make his season debut Week 9. DeAngelo Williams will play through his quad injury, Mike Tolbert has emerged as a go-to guy in the red zone, Kenjon Barner has some juice and the Panthers win when Cam Newton uses his legs. Expect the rushing attempts to be distributed on a hot-hand basis, capping both predictability and upside. Coming off an 11-month layoff, Stewart is an especially dicey flex option right now.

Related: DeAngelo Williams, Mike Tolbert, Kenjon Barner

Rotoworld:

Panthers coach Ron Rivera told reporters Friday he anticipates 6-10 touches for Jonathan Stewart in his 2013 debut versus Atlanta.
Stewart will be formally activated from the PUP list on Saturday. Rivera confirmed DeAngelo Williams will remain Carolina's "starter," but the backfield will be a heavy rotation moving forward. "(DeAngelo) gets four, five, six carries in eight plays, Jonathan goes in and he gets a couple of carries, some pass stuff," Rivera predicted. "He comes out, Michael Tolbert goes in and does his thing and then bam, we go back to 21 personnel (two running backs, one tight end) and you’ve got DeAngelo and Tolbert in there for a few more. Somewhere along the line we bring in Kenjon (Barner) and he gets a couple snaps." Clearly, this is going to be a fantasy football situation to avoid.

Rotoworld:

Making his 2013 debut, Jonathan Stewart rushed nine times for 43 yards in Carolina's Week 9 win over the Falcons, adding three catches for 22 yards.
Stewart out-gained DeAngelo Williams by 11 yards despite notching two fewer touches, and didn't appear rusty after two months on the PUP list. Stewart's snaps were not limited to obvious passing situations. He'll definitely be a big part of the Panthers' three-man committee going forward, and could even end up the chairman. However, neither Stewart nor Williams will be a recommended FLEX option against the 49ers in Week 10.

Just watched the game on my DVR and I thought Stewart looked very good. He has more power and speed than DWill has at this point. I think he could become a very useful player over the last half of the season. Looks good catching the ball too (as does Tolbert)

Users who are viewing this thread