What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lamar Miller, 2016, Infinity and beyond (2 Viewers)

Miller < 180 carries. Stay away!
Is he going to get hurt? Lose his job? Are you a Dolphin homer and know something we don't?
Daniel Thomas owner?
Until recently I did not own either because I thought Miller was overrated and overhyped even though I thought the job was his. I traded Miller and D. Moore for Givens and 1.2 shortly after the combine in the dynasty where I owned him. Only in the past week or so did I take a closer look and came away with the impression that Thomas was the better player. So I have acquired Thomas late in 2 redrafts. Just as a previous poster stated, I view Miller as a limited speed back. You want to get him his 10 touches and hope he breaks one. He doesn't have enough game to carry the load. Thomas is JAG, but he is better suited for every down duties and is the better receiver.

I think Miller is going to get his shot and fail. Thomas will be the lead in the end.
Miller might very well fall on his face, as a Phil's fan and Miller owner I'm concerned about his ability to break tackles and pick up tough yards, but Daniel Thomas is terrible. Not only is he terrible, he's injury prone. He is better suited for every down duties if you want a back that gives you 3 yards a pop with limited upside. I'll come in here and eat crow if he's a relevant fantasy player, but outside of being a goal line vulture I can't see it happening.

Is he going to get hurt? Lose his job? Are you a Dolphin homer and know something we don't?
Daniel Thomas owner?
Until recently I did not own either because I thought Miller was overrated and overhyped even though I thought the job was his. I traded Miller and D. Moore for Givens and 1.2 shortly after the combine in the dynasty where I owned him. Only in the past week or so did I take a closer look and came away with the impression that Thomas was the better player. So I have acquired Thomas late in 2 redrafts.Just as a previous poster stated, I view Miller as a limited speed back. You want to get him his 10 touches and hope he breaks one. He doesn't have enough game to carry the load. Thomas is JAG, but he is better suited for every down duties and is the better receiver.

I think Miller is going to get his shot and fail. Thomas will be the lead in the end.
I agree that Miller could fall flat on his face, but Thomas is horrible. If Thomas is the lead at the end, I am going to guess that the Dolphins are in the Jadeveon Clowney sweepstakes.

Daniel Thomas owner?
Only in the past week or so did I take a closer look and came away with the impression that Thomas was the better player.
How in the world is this possible? I have Thomas in a dynasty and would love to say he is better than any other #2 back in the NFL but I can't. He is absolutely horrible. No idea what you are looking at.

Miller fell all the way to the 8th round before I scooped him up in a draft I had today. I just refuse to believe Daniel Thomas is a threat for playing time. 2nd-year RB's are often the best bargains in the draft.

SameSongNDance said:
Chaka said:
SameSongNDance said:
Chaka said:
It was a solid video but I can't help but notice that most of those carries were against the Raiders, Arizona, Indy, Jacksonville, Buffalo, Tennessee and the Jets. That's six bottom 10 run defenses and the Raiders. The two best run defenses he faced were New England and SF and he had 8 carries for 14 yards and 3 receptions for 30 yards.

Still it was nice to see him gain positive yardage on pretty much every touch.
Yeah, my mistake on the tag. It was actually only 30 touches on the ball, not 51.
He still gained positive yardage on every touch we saw, even if it was against the worst run Ds in the league.
Also, as I mentioned previously and someone else followed up with, I'm quite sure he has the best SOS based on 2012 statistics. It's rather probable he'll be facing a healthy amount of porous rush defenses again this year.
Four against Buffalo and New England look nice. Add in Atlanta, Indy, New Orleans, TB, SD and Car and it does shape up to be a nice schedule on paper. Unfortunately you can expect Atlanta and New Orleans to force Miami into passing mode early so that will likely limit Lamar. Still it looks like he doesn't have that many tough outs on paper.

Chaka said:
Grahamburn said:
Chaka said:
It was a solid video but I can't help but notice that most of those carries were against the Raiders, Arizona, Indy, Jacksonville, Buffalo, Tennessee and the Jets. That's six bottom 10 run defenses and the Raiders. The two best run defenses he faced were New England and SF and he had 8 carries for 14 yards and 3 receptions for 30 yards.

The Dolphins' first seven games are all against teams with a run defense that ranked 18th or worse in 2012.
The Franklin Mint says that past returns are not a predictor of future value.
SameSongNDance said:
Chaka said:
SameSongNDance said:
Chaka said:

Yeah, my mistake on the tag. It was actually only 30 touches on the ball, not 51.
He still gained positive yardage on every touch we saw, even if it was against the worst run Ds in the league.
Also, as I mentioned previously and someone else followed up with, I'm quite sure he has the best SOS based on 2012 statistics. It's rather probable he'll be facing a healthy amount of porous rush defenses again this year.
Four against Buffalo and New England look nice. Add in Atlanta, Indy, New Orleans, TB, SD and Car and it does shape up to be a nice schedule on paper. Unfortunately you can expect Atlanta and New Orleans to force Miami into passing mode early so that will likely limit Lamar. Still it looks like he doesn't have that many tough outs on paper.

Coeur de Lion said:
msudaisy26 said:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/lamar-miller?id=2533034

NFL.com Scouts had him listed as a late first round grade, as did others, but I am too lazy to look them up. Miller was also one of the highest rated High School backs his senior year after Trent Richardson and in a group with David Wilson, Christine Michael and Lacy. None of these are NFL GM's, but you will be hard pressed to find any saying that kind of stuff after they all passed on him.....
Thanks for defending me, but I could have had a link to a video showing any coach in the NFL saying they would take Miller in the second if not for his shoulder issue and he would have said it was photo shopped, just to make his point.
Uhhh... no. My point is that NFL teams viewed him as a 4th round player, and we have absolutely no idea why. But with millions of dollars and jobs at stake, no one wanted him for until three rounds had passed. And that that

information, along with the fact that he couldn't even beat out Daniel Thomas as the RB2 last year, tells us more about Lamar Miller as a player than any amount of non-NFL sources that were in love with him a year ago.
I know about some information that may tells us more than what you cite. How about the fact that he beat out dthomas this year and the coaching staff refrained from bringing in any sort of competition lining him up for a full workload and 3 down responsibilities.

Nero said:
Daniel Thomas owner?
Until recently I did not own either because I thought Miller was overrated and overhyped even though I thought the job was his. I traded Miller and D. Moore for Givens and 1.2 shortly after the combine in the dynasty where I owned him. Only in the past week or so did I take a closer look and came away with the impression that Thomas was the better player. So I have acquired Thomas late in 2 redrafts.Just as a previous poster stated, I view Miller as a limited speed back. You want to get him his 10 touches and hope he breaks one. He doesn't have enough game to carry the load. Thomas is JAG, but he is better suited for every down duties and is the better receiver.

watch the youtube link from the previous page of this thread, i was surprised at the patience miller showed while running the ball last year, he is not just a track star.

Chaka said:
Grahamburn said:
Chaka said:

The Dolphins' first seven games are all against teams with a run defense that ranked 18th or worse in 2012.
The Franklin Mint says that past returns are not a predictor of future value.
SameSongNDance said:
Chaka said:
SameSongNDance said:
Chaka said:

They don't play the games on paper.

Nero said:
Daniel Thomas owner?

watch the youtube link from the previous page of this thread, i was surprised at the patience miller showed while running the ball last year, he is not just a track star.
kind of hard for a highlight video to look bad.

I put a lot more trust in

Lamar Miller vs Ohio St, vs Boston College, vs Maryland, vs Virginia Tech

and compare it to

Daniel Thomas vs Nebraska, vs Iowa St.

Its their college tape, but I think you get a truer sense of what they are when you see every run from the game. Running is instinctive, so I don't think they change much once they get on the pro level.

Nero said:
Daniel Thomas owner?

kind of hard for a highlight video to look bad.I put a lot more trust in

and compare it to

Its their college tape, but I think you get a truer sense of what they are when you see every run from the game. Running is instinctive, so I don't think they change much once they get on the pro level.
:lmao:

Nero said:
Daniel Thomas owner?

and compare it to

The thing is that video represented at least 50% of his touches last year. I was mistaken to assume it was all 57 touches on the ball but after re-watching the video, I counted around 30 different touches.

It's less of a highlight video and more of just a recap of his 2012 season. I found it pretty beneficial at least.

and compare it to

The thing is that video represented at least 50% of his touches last year. I was mistaken to assume it was all 57 touches on the ball but after re-watching the video, I counted around 30 different touches.

It's less of a highlight video and more of just a recap of his 2012 season. I found it pretty beneficial at least.
Lamar Miller versus Ohio State

Last edited by a moderator:
Nero said:
Daniel Thomas owner?

and compare it to

LOL I'll take 2 years of NFL tape over his college tape.

Instincts don't change, but the defenses do. He's shown he hasn't been able to get it done at this level and I don't see that changing. Not only that but Miller put up better #'s playing in a tougher conference in college. I just don't see up to this point how Thomas will be better than Miller barring injury.

Nero said:
Daniel Thomas owner?

and compare it to

LOL I'll take 2 years of NFL tape over his college tape.

Instincts don't change, but the defenses do. He's shown he hasn't been able to get it done at this level and I don't see that changing. Not only that but Miller put up better #'s playing in a tougher conference in college. I just don't see up to this point how Thomas will be better than Miller barring injury.
this video is worth watching, it was posted earlier by someone else http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7khPECxIbxY i can away impressed with his patience and ability to explode through holes.

for what it's worth this thread should be locked until after week 1, there is nothing new to discuss until they actually play

and compare it to

Hey, nice video. Anyone know what beat that is?

I wasn't a huge Miller fan coming out but I've grabbed him in the 4th round (drafting from the 10th slot and the 6th slot) in 2 of my regular redraft leagues (one PPR and one non) as RB3 on both teams. I wanted to have 3 RB's on my team after 4 rounds and kept seeing him there in the 4th and couldn't pass up the value. I see him as an RB2 with RB1 upside this year in Miami. Getting him as my RB3 had me extremely happy at the start of both these drafts.

Chaka said:

Good point, but doesn't he have the easiest SOS for RBs? Just something to think about.

Chaka said:

Good point, but doesn't he have the easiest SOS for RBs? Just something to think about.
We touched on that in a later post. It's true, no doubt, that his schedule looks good on paper but they don't play games on paper.

Daniel Thomas owner?

and compare it to

First thought it was a highlight of his game vs. the Raiders...then saw other decent defenses he ran well against later in the vid.

Daniel Thomas owner?

and compare it to

First thought it was a highlight of his game vs. the Raiders...then saw other decent defenses he ran well against later in the vid.

Does it appear that Miller is a 3 down back at this point? How many of those can you name off the top of your head?

Adrian

McCoy

Charles

Martin

Bush

CJ

Forte

Lacy

Wilson

Spiller

Trent

Does it appear that Miller is a 3 down back at this point? How many of those can you name off the top of your head?

Adrian

McCoy

Charles

Martin

Bush

CJ

Forte

Lacy

Wilson

Spiller

Trent
Lacy is not a 3 down back. Wilson may not be as well.

I didn't see where it said somebody was the third down back. I could definitely see Lacy getting work on third downs.

and compare it to

Did you guys come away impressed after that one? I found myself thinking, yeah, I guess he might be a 4th round talent. Aside from that one stumbling run that they kept showing again and again, he had very little yards after contact.

I went ahead and watched Thomas vs. Nebraska for the hell of it and I came away pretty impressed with his hands. Aside from one out of reach pass and a bizarre pitch from the QB the guy looked like he had glue on his gloves. He also moved the pile pretty well.

I don't think Thomas will unseat Miller after losing the training camp battle, but I'd be interested to see what he can do if Miller were to miss time or get benched for fumbling or missed blocks or something.

and compare it to

Did you guys come away impressed after that one? I found myself thinking, yeah, I guess he might be a 4th round talent. Aside from that one stumbling run that they kept showing again and again, he had very little yards after contact.

I went ahead and watched Thomas vs. Nebraska for the hell of it and I came away pretty impressed with his hands. Aside from one out of reach pass and a bizarre pitch from the QB the guy looked like he had glue on his gloves. He also moved the pile pretty well.

I don't think Thomas will unseat Miller after losing the training camp battle, but I'd be interested to see what he can do if Miller were to miss time or get benched for fumbling or missed blocks or something.
This is what I kept saying in the Lamar Miller vs David WIlson thread from earlier in the off-season. I watched like 5-10 full game highlight reels on him from college and the other video of every single snap he took last season and afterwards all I can think is this:

- He doesn't cut, literally he has no moves at all he runs around people

- He has no power at all, besides the one long run against Ohio State where he 'breaks' an arm tackle that is pretty much 2 fingers grazing his leg. He doesn't break a single tackle.

- No YAC, he gets hit, he goes down.

- Fast, but not elite acceleration.

I keep hearing people say him and David Wilson are almost the same talents and I just don't see it at all... I'm not impressed with Miller in the slightest way. All his 'big runs' are on plays where he isn't touched, he doesn't seem to create his own runs. It's either perfect blocking that he's able to use his speed to get passed people. Otherwise, he just runs straight into defenders and falls down.

:lmao: No YAC? Not even one from like spinning or having the pile pushed by a lineman?
Yeah, those statements are just as ridiculous now as they were then.
Sure, he randomly falls forward for a yard or two. He doesn't really break runs after contact though. I'm not saying 100% Miller isn't a top talent, I just don't see what all the hypes about when I watch his videos. He seems like an average 4th round talent when I watch him run. Who only possesses elite-ish speed.

:lmao: No YAC? Not even one from like spinning or having the pile pushed by a lineman?
Sure, he randomly falls forward for a yard or two. He doesn't really break runs after contact though. I'm not saying 100% Miller isn't a top talent, I just don't see what all the hypes about when I watch his videos. He seems like an average 4th round talent when I watch him run. Who only possesses elite-ish speed.
So I guess you never saw the Vtech game. Or the BC game. In the end it doesn't really matter. We are going to see what he's got in the NFl starting 5 days from now.

So I guess you never saw the Vtech game. Or the BC game. In the end it doesn't really matter. We are going to see what he's got in the NFl starting 5 days from now.
Exactly...lets quit the back and forth like little girls and lets enjoy watching the Lamar miller story unfold in front of our very eyes starting this Sunday. No need to keep guessing...at this point you either drafted him or you didn't based on your opinions. Now the truth shall set us all free ;)

Grabbed him 5th round 3rd pick, I'm not disappointed. Came away with Charles, AjGreen, Sproles, Gronk, Miller in a 12 team .5ppr league.

I was able to get Miller in the 6th round of a 10 team PPR draft last night.

I had the 7th pick so I decided to load up on elite WR talent instead of picking at the bone of RB's. Miller was too good to let him slide any further. Anytime you can get a starter that late, you shouldn't pass it up.

I'm going to roll with him as my RB2 week 1. This league has some nice bonuses for long TD's so hopefully his speed shines thru and he can go for a 40+ yard TD.

I understand its popular to call Daniel Thomas terrible, but overall he's pretty underrated. Lamar Miller is by far the better pure-runner, but there is a lot more to it than that. Thomas is much better as a receiver and pass-protector.

I understand its popular to call Daniel Thomas terrible, but overall he's pretty underrated. Lamar Miller is by far the better pure-runner, but there is a lot more to it than that. Thomas is much better as a receiver and pass-protector.
Are you basing that on his whopping 27 career receptions in the NFL in 2 years for Thomas? How is Thomas "much better as a receiver" when he's caught 15 and 12 balls in his 2 seasons in the NFL? And no, he wasn't some prolific pass catching back in college either as he only averaged 25 rec/season there too.

Are you basing that on his whopping 27 career receptions in the NFL in 2 years for Thomas? How is Thomas "much better as a receiver" when he's caught 15 and 12 balls in his 2 seasons in the NFL? And no, he wasn't some prolific pass catching back in college either as he only averaged 25 rec/season there too.
Just because players are given the chance to catch the ball is stupid to say they cant catch the ball. The average Joe can catch a 5 year screen pass. Being a good pass catching back is overrated unless you are lining up in the slot. That being said being in the game on 3rd down increases your chance to catch passes which is a role that they are leaning toward DT at this time.

Gore only caught 28 passes last year, it doesn't mean they cant catch always, especially when Reggie Bush is the other back, who are you going to pass too.

Art Vandalay said:
gianmarco said:
big0mar said:
Just because players are given the chance to catch the ball is stupid to say they cant catch the ball. The average Joe can catch a 5 year screen pass. Being a good pass catching back is overrated unless you are lining up in the slot. That being said being in the game on 3rd down increases your chance to catch passes which is a role that they are leaning toward DT at this time.

Gore only caught 28 passes last year, it doesn't mean they cant catch always, especially when Reggie Bush is the other back, who are you going to pass too.
I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here and whether or not it's addressed to me. If it is, my response was to the statement that D. Thomas is a much better receiver. Where is that statement coming from? It's not as if he's been a prolific pass catcher so it's gotta come from somewhere. Is Miller terrible at it? Is Thomas great at it but then somehow not used in the passing game? Is there something I'm completely missing that makes that statement true?

the latest crazy quotes out of miami....

per rotoworld post

Daniel Thomas anticipates receiving "pretty much the same amount of reps" as starter Lamar Miller despite coming off the bench.

Coach Joe Philbin did call the starting job a "very, very close" call between Miller and Thomas, despite the fact Miller averaged 4.24 yards per carry in the preseason to Thomas' 2.74 YPC. Pro Football Focus charted Thomas with zero broken tackles in 19 exhibition game rushing attempts, and PFF also gave Miller higher marks in pass protection. The Dolphins may open the season using a drive-by-drive running back rotation, but our expectation is Miller will ultimately separate himself because he's clearly the superior talent.
Source: Miami Herald
Sep 5 - 11:35 AM
i believe him too, i hope DT fumbles his first carry of the season... clearing the way for lamar miller to get 15-20 carries!

per rotoworld post

Daniel Thomas anticipates receiving "pretty much the same amount of reps" as starter Lamar Miller despite coming off the bench.

Coach Joe Philbin did call the starting job a "very, very close" call between Miller and Thomas, despite the fact Miller averaged 4.24 yards per carry in the preseason to Thomas' 2.74 YPC. Pro Football Focus charted Thomas with zero broken tackles in 19 exhibition game rushing attempts, and PFF also gave Miller higher marks in pass protection. The Dolphins may open the season using a drive-by-drive running back rotation, but our expectation is Miller will ultimately separate himself because he's clearly the superior talent.
i believe him too, i hope DT fumbles his first carry of the season... clearing the way for lamar miller to get 15-20 carries!
All this D. Thomas love from the MIA coaches prompted me to add D. Thomas to back up L. Miller.

per rotoworld post

All this D. Thomas love from the MIA coaches prompted me to add D. Thomas to back up L. Miller.
:doh:

per rotoworld post

:doh:
He's my RB5, and the 15th and last roster spot, I'm sure I'll end up cutting bait on D. Thomas if things go the way it is anticipated going.

Users who are viewing this thread