Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Lamar Miller, 2016, Infinity and beyond

Evil G

He looks great. They should probably use him a little more.

been saying that all season!

I don't understand the Dolphins offensive play calling sometimes.

They could be running for 7+ yards per carry on the ground and they'd still only run the ball 15 times and throw it 40.

:shrug:

Did anyone take my advice and sell him?

Who are you?

I'm the guy who spent several posts here trying to persuade Miller owners to shop him and at least consider dealing him (in redraft leagues) after Week 8. People were saying he was a sure-fire RB1 the rest of the season.

Since Week 8, he has 12.7, 1.6 and 11.8 points, an average of 8.7 ppg in PPR. He still has three tough matchups coming up,

I will say what he was able to do against Buffalo was impressive.

Last night was promising and makes me comfortable starting him going forward.

Amen. He looked great last night. A solid RB1 moving forward.

That is a real stretch, unless you are talking about 6- or 8-team leagues.

He is not a solid RB1 moving forward in 12-team leagues.

Please name 11 RB you're putting ahead of him

Murray

charles

forte

mccoy

lacy

ellington

ingram

Jennings

Lynch

vereen

bradshaw

not in that order

Forte

DeMarco

Charles

Foster

Le'Veon

Lynch

Lacy

Ellington

Ingram

Forsett

Denard

Gio or Hill

Bradshaw

LeSean

You could also make a case for these RBs to outperform Miller rest of season:

FJax

Rashad

West

Gore

i would agree with that mostly. he's a borderline RB1/2. he doesn't get enough touches and/or td's to be graded much higher. for those that either kept the faith and/or bought low - especially in dynasty - then he's still a bargain value.

So he's a RB1 in a 6 team league, but not in a 12 team league?

• Like 3

Miller is showing things he did not show last year. Things that I specifically talked aboyt before the season started that he needed to improve to become a legit 3 down back.

1. Break ankle and arm tackles and be willing to lower his shoulders - Check, Miller has ran tougher this season, has shown he can get tough yards between the tackles, taking 3-4 yards north and south vs dancing and trying to break every run

2. Be a better back in pass protect - Check, Lamar is much improved in pass protect this season

3. Become a batter pass catcher - when they throw him the ball, he catches it in stride and at some point will break some big ones too. Lamar was a 3 down back at UM and is starting to prove he can be at the NFL level.

Lamar gets 15-18 touches a game. I strongly believe if they just leaned on him a little more (ala KC with Charles) and gave him 20-22 touches his numbers would be even better. When this kid get's in space he is a rocket ship. He has that rare elite speed in the open field and that fantastic burst through the hole you want to see. He also has better wiggle this year. He is attempting to make guys miss more in the open field, and he is also recognizing his cut back lanes better and reading his lead blocking better.

Lamar is a legit RB 2 based on his usage. I am thrilled he finally is showing he is an important part of the offense along with Jarvis Landry whom I raved about in the pre-season as a fantastic pick for this team. When Lamar has good games this team wins. There is a direct correlation with his success and wins for the Dolphins.

Edited by Todem

So he's a RB1 in a 6 team league, but not in a 12 team league?

Ha, yeah, I got that one backwards. He's an RB1 in an 18-team league.

Who are you?

I'm the guy who spent several posts here trying to persuade Miller owners to shop him and at least consider dealing him (in redraft leagues) after Week 8. People were saying he was a sure-fire RB1 the rest of the season.

Since Week 8, he has 12.7, 1.6 and 11.8 points, an average of 8.7 ppg in PPR. He still has three tough matchups coming up,

Your reasoning was the tough schedule, and you already said that you didn't predict the injury, which is the reason for his poor game. Despite the schedule, he's still pretty much doing what he's done all year when healthy. It's odd to me how you seem to keep implying that you were right.

• Like 1

Who are you?

Your reasoning was the tough schedule, and you already said that you didn't predict the injury, which is the reason for his poor game. Despite the schedule, he's still pretty much doing what he's done all year when healthy. It's odd to me how you seem to keep implying that you were right.

Not trying to imply I was right. I just put a theory out there and suggested people see what they could get for him.

Fact is, the numbers speak for themselves: 12 ppg (taking out the Detroit game) is not RB1 kind of numbers. He also has a limit on his upside because his coaches won't give him more than 15-18 touches, regardless of who the other Dolphins' backs are in any given game.

Who are you?

Not trying to imply I was right. I just put a theory out there and suggested people see what they could get for him.

Fact is, the numbers speak for themselves: 12 ppg (taking out the Detroit game) is not RB1 kind of numbers. He also has a limit on his upside because his coaches won't give him more than 15-18 touches, regardless of who the other Dolphins' backs are in any given game.

He's RB11 in my league, even with the game vs. Detroit.

Edited by Dippa

Who are you?

Maybe because he has already played this week when nobody else has. He is also trailed closely by a number of guys who have been injured for numerous weeks and surpassed by Forsett and Bradshaw. I really don't know why some are so excited by this guy.

Forte

DeMarco

Charles

Foster

Le'Veon

Lynch

Lacy

Ellington

Ingram

Forsett

Denard

Gio or Hill

Bradshaw

LeSean

You could also make a case for these RBs to outperform Miller rest of season:

FJax

Rashad

West

Gore

To each their own but I only put these guys squarely in front:

Forte

DeMarco

Charles

Foster

Le'Veon

Lynch

Lacy

8-13 is a mish mosh and preference driven. But miller is having a better 2013 than most of these guys.

Personally I'd probably put him behind denard, Bradshaw and maybe Ingram the rest of the way.

Who are you?

Maybe because he has already played this week when nobody else has. He is also trailed closely by a number of guys who have been injured for numerous weeks and surpassed by Forsett and Bradshaw. I really don't know why some are so excited by this guy.

Oh yeah...forgot about that, but he's still RB14 without that game. Either way, I was originally responding to the idea that he was a great sell high. He's my RB2, as I assume he is on most teams at best, and he's been a great RB2 IMO.

Plain and simple no one drafted him as an rb1 oran early rb2. He is outperforming his draft position and looks good doing so. Aside from this small health scare, the only thing holding him back from elite status is the coaches and his touches. Maybe they know best to cap his touches. He's money as a weekly flex.

• Like 2

Plain and simple no one drafted him as an rb1 oran early rb2. He is outperforming his draft position and looks good doing so. Aside from this small health scare, the only thing holding him back from elite status is the coaches and his touches. Maybe they know best to cap his touches. He's money as a weekly flex.

Excellent point. I drafted him at 7.01 in a 12-team PPR league, and some of the guys thought that was a reach.

Thoughts on Miller at Denver this week? Looked good last week, a couple extra days rest...will they use Miller enough in this game, especially if they dig an early hole? I would think they'd like to control the clock a little bit to keep the Denver offense off the field, and Denver got run on a little bit last week. Chances the Fins stay in this game and Miller gets a season high in touches?

Thoughts on Miller at Denver this week? Looked good last week, a couple extra days rest...will they use Miller enough in this game, especially if they dig an early hole? I would think they'd like to control the clock a little bit to keep the Denver offense off the field, and Denver got run on a little bit last week. Chances the Fins stay in this game and Miller gets a season high in touches?

He'll probably get the same 16 touches he always gets.

Rotoworld:

Lamar Miller - RB - Dolphins

Lamar Miller is now fighting a knee injury in addition to the shoulder issue he's been battling.

Miller suffered a shoulder sprain back in Week 9, but got over it reasonably quickly and earned a "probable" tag ahead of Week 11. That appears to be on the back burner now as a mid-week knee injury is what has him listed "questionable." The good news is Miller got in limited practices on Thursday and Friday, and stated he expects to play. The bad news is that Sunday's game at Denver is a 4:25pm ET start and the backup situation is murky. In Week 11, Daniel Thomas played 25 snaps and got five touches (all rushes). More talented Damien Williams played nine snaps and got two touches (all catches).

Related: Daniel Thomas, Damien Williams

Source: ESPN.com

Nov 21 - 6:03 PM

From Jene Bramel's column today:

LAMAR MILLER | SHOULDER/KNEE | QUESTIONABLE

Miller had a full Wednesday practice and didn't look too limited by a shoulder injury last week. But he was limited on Thursday and Friday and the Dolphins added a knee designation to his listing on Friday. Joe Philbin said the injury was new but didn't elaborate on the nature or severity of the injury. There has yet to be any useful hints in the local media either, but there doesn't appear to be any serious concern Miller will miss the game.

Fantasy expectation: The Dolphins limited Miller's usage two weeks ago when he was listed questionable. Since we don't know specifics on the knee injury, it's impossible to say with certainty Miller can be trusted for 15+ touches today. If you've got a close decision, I'd consider sitting Miller. If you're looking at Miller versus a marginal flex-type play, I'd roll with Miller and hope for no pregame surprises with the late afternoon start.

A source tells the Miami Herald that Lamar Miller (knee) will play in Sunday's game at Denver.

Miller's shoulder is not thought to be a real concern anymore, but he did pop up with a knee injury sustained in practice this week. It sounds like nothing to be overly concerned with. Miller was able to practice on a limited basis both Thursday and Friday, and the Herald's sources have been spot on with injuries this season. Owners can pencil Miller in as a low-end RB2 for Sunday's 4:325pm ET start.

• 2 weeks later...

Rotoworld:

Lamar Miller's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said it's "disappointing" the Dolphins aren't using Miller more.

Along with everyone else outside of the Dolphins' coaching staff, we agree. Miller is averaging 4.8 YPC, but OC Bill Lazor and coach Joe Philbin insist on limiting his workload and using Daniel Thomas and Damien Williams behind him. Splitting the load is fine, but not when you're limiting a clearly-superior player. Miller isn't worn down or tired. He averages 12 carries a game when he should be seeing about 18. It's keeping Miller as an RB2 instead of an RB1.

Source: Miami Herald
Dec 10 - 9:39 AM

• Like 2

Different venue, different uniforms ;), different weather, different teams.

That said, I am starting am in one league today and hoping for the best.

Maybe wishful thinking that they would at least attempt to replicate. Going to be hard for Miami to throw the ball here. But, yeah, I just don't have anyone else I like this week with JJ down.

4.66 ypc, 5-10" 224, 4.40 speed, criminally underused at 15 carries per game, watching Williams drop the easy pass ever dropped in the history of the game, still wasting time with slow as a turtle drive killer Daniel Thomas. Cannot wait for Philbin and Co to be fired. What a bunch of clueless dumbasses.

• Like 1

Different venue, different uniforms ;), different weather, different teams.

That said, I am starting am in one league today and hoping for the best.

Maybe wishful thinking that they would at least attempt to replicate. Going to be hard for Miami to throw the ball here. But, yeah, I just don't have anyone else I like this week with JJ down.

It is hard to replicate that Miami heat in early Sept. ;)

From RW:

Lamar Miller's yards per carry avearge drops dramatically after his tenth carry of a game.

According to the Miami Herald's Barry Jackson, Miller has averaged 5.4 yards per carry on his first 10 carries of a game this season, but is averaging only 2.5 yards per carry from his 11th carry on. The stunning drop-off in effectiveness could help explain why Miller is averaging 12.7 carries a game this season despite being clearly the best runner on Miami's roster. Miller's upside will always be capped by his limited touches, but he is still a solid RB2 in a good matchup against the Vikings this week.

• 2 months later...

Rotoworld:

The Miami Herald believes Lamar Miller is secure as the Dolphins' lead back for 2015.

Reporter Barry Jackson suggests Miami may add a rookie or cheap free agent to provide competition for No. 2 back Damien Williams, but new VP of Football Operations Mike Tannenbaum is a fan of Miller's. "Lamar Miller played very well, high character, very productive," Tannenbaum said. Turning 24 next month, Miller is a top-ten running back asset in Dynasty leagues.
Mar 8 - 11:53 PM
  • Like 2