What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lamar Miller, 2016, Infinity and beyond (3 Viewers)

If Philbin gets the axe, does Lazor go to? Miller was averaging 5.4 a carry and they abandon the run early? They get to the 1 yard line and throw 4 times? Crazy.

I think the problem is that Philbin thinks he still has Aaron Rodgers throwing the ball for him.

Didn't I read where they got the ball down to "first and goal on the two",and they threw 4 consecutive incompletions...??

Sure there are some "problems" running the ball. But bad play calling is apparent too and even though there are problems running, the problems are MUCH WORSE when throwing the ball at times.

At least a few games last year they had success when they gave the ball to Miller.

It really is a wonder that they even beat the Skins in week 1.

Regardless, they will most certainly lose this week to the Jets, then I'm betting there is a change or two made.

My buddy who is a hardcore Dolphins homer said last night...." They might as well go ahead and fire Philbin now, stop clinging on to a lost season, bring someone new in and get him a headstart on next year". :D

TZM
That's exactly what happened! I didn't see the game, but I sat there and watched it unfold on NFL.com. The really pathetic thing is that I actually expected them to do exactly that. Would have been nice if the cooaches had proven me paranoid, but nope, they actually threw 4 incomplete passes within pissing distance of the goal line. Unbelievable!

I just bought low. At least I think I bought low. :unsure: Paid Ryan Mallett in a superflex but I already have Tannehill, Matt Ryan, and Jay Cutler.

Is this turd even playing this week? Practicing? Still the starting Rb? Leap-frogged by Jonas gray? What's his deal? Anyone have the cujones to start miller vs the jets?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this turd even playing this week? Practicing? Still the starting Rb? Leap-frogged by Jonas gray? What's his deal? Anyone have the cujones to start miller vs the jets?
For me its either Miller or Crowell in 2 different leagues this week.

Easily my toughest decision of the year.

Pick your poison........... bag of #### or vomit pile. :wall:

If anyone is so inclined, I am most likely going to play Miller, so you can... LOAD YOUR LINEUPS FULL OF CROWELL BOYS, HE'S GUARANTEED TO GO OFF~!!

TZM

Sitting and golding steady for awhile. Deep bench. I have Lewis and AP. I'll take whatevers out there as my rb2 for Lewis's bye for now.

Miller is very undervalued right now. They've faced off against three good defenses. He's scored exactly the same amount of points as TJ Yeldon, but yet Yeldon gets a pass. He's scored more points than Jeremy Hill and Melvin Gordon and yet they've retained their dynasty value to a large extent. Let's break it down a bit further shall we?

Miller is 24 years old. Not old at all. Just in the prime right now. So far he has faced: Redskins (#3 Rush Defense in league), Jags (12th rush defense in the league even after being brained by the Pats), and Buffalo (#1 Rush defense). That's a pretty tough early season draw. I think he turns it around. Remember last season he had scored 41 fantasy points in the first three weeks. He went on to score 226.

Yeah lots of panic on Miller....just like last season. I have multiple bad offers for him this week. Too many to count.

Miller is very undervalued right now. They've faced off against three good defenses. He's scored exactly the same amount of points as TJ Yeldon, but yet Yeldon gets a pass. He's scored more points than Jeremy Hill and Melvin Gordon and yet they've retained their dynasty value to a large extent. Let's break it down a bit further shall we?

Miller is 24 years old. Not old at all. Just in the prime right now. So far he has faced: Redskins (#3 Rush Defense in league), Jags (12th rush defense in the league even after being brained by the Pats), and Buffalo (#1 Rush defense). That's a pretty tough early season draw. I think he turns it around. Remember last season he had scored 41 fantasy points in the first three weeks. He went on to score 226.
the problem IMO is the philosophy and the # of touches. 14, 15 and 10 from your lead back and then you have Jonas Gray come in from nowhere and get 9 carries for 49 yards to Millers' 7 carries for 38 yards. That's not a trend that I'd like to see as a Miller owner. The big appeal in Miller was the "high powered offense" and the fact that he was the only real option in the backfield. Fast forward to week 3 and the Fins offense has been terrible and all the sudden last week he's on the short end of an RBBC with cast away Jonas Gray.

I was thinking of buying Miller but I think I'm going to do the cheaper thing and try and add Gray at the end of my bench and see what happens there.

Holding him on the bench for now but it looks like a lost season. The AFC east has too many strong defenses, the coach is a knuckle head, the defense is overrated, Tanny in overrated, the game scripts are puzzling and now comes the London trip which has the team playing on the road for 3 of their 4 games. This is a complete disaster in the making based on his ADP. The only hope I see is if he posts a decent number in London and comes out of the bye week with some mo jo. Either this or I am just trying to justify a wasted pick in the 3rd round. This team has been fantasy dread.

It is tough because you can't just take a lower ranked RB than Lamar if you decide to go RB. The move was probably to take another WR even a Hopkin. Of course I rather have Latavius Murray but there were concerns, however the team is at least able to move the ball and Murray seems talented enough and gets enough work that it doesn't matter.

And sometimes teams just get off to a slow start. This team has a lot of new starters on offense. And they played really tough defenses.

I can't trade this guy for a pretzel. Not a single team in my league offered me anything. The best offer I received was Knile Davis, I might take it just to get rid of this cancer.

I'm starting him over Marshawn Lynch. Obviously this has to Lynch uncertainty and the lye start time.
I am hosed too....lol I have pretty much no choice but to play Miller this week but I did grab Rawls in case Lynch doesnt go and I hope he sits this week instead of trying to play and going out in the 1st quarter again.

And sometimes teams just get off to a slow start. This team has a lot of new starters on offense. And they played really tough defenses.
And their stupid HC/OCs haven't screwed up enough to be fired yet. There is no doubt in my mind that when they get fired, Miller's # will go up.

I haven't been watching the Phins games, just see the crappy stat lines for Lamar......Are the phins just junk? Is there hope for Miller?

Are the phins just junk? Is there hope for Miller?
Yes

No
I respectfully disagree with this assessment. Every year, there are folks who panic after the first few weeks. I would not argue that he has been frustrating so far, but he has a personal history of defying people who've sold low early.

The problem-as stated previously- is that one cannot get anything close to value on him based on his draft position. I really see no choice but to hold, and history suggests he will perform much closer to his preseason projections than his current pace.

Take this fwiw.

This is from CBS. They use fantasy points allowed vs RBs to rank the Defensive matchups.

Miller's remaining schedule and their rank:

week 4 NYJ 8th

BYE

week 6 TEN 12th

week 7 HOU 9th

week 8 NE 12th

week 9 BUF 7th

week 10 PHI 5th

week 11 DAL 24th

week 12 NYJ 8th

week 13 BAL 5th

week 14 NYG 22nd

week 15 SD 31st

week 16 INDY 24th

week 17 NE 12th

Its very early and this stuff can and will change, but as of now, he faces 1 DEF that is outside of the top 12 in the first 13 weeks.

I am holding him but he is perma benched (ppr) behind lance dunbar and darren sproles

this is not what i expected from him

I can't trade this guy for a pretzel. Not a single team in my league offered me anything. The best offer I received was Knile Davis, I might take it just to get rid of this cancer.
Why would you even offer him for that? Do you think he's infecting other areas of your team? He is the classic buy low right now. I've never read anywhere that you should sell low.

Do you honestly think there is any change that Knile Davis is going to outscore him this year barring injury? No way.

Why would you even offer him for that? Do you think he's infecting other areas of your team? He is the classic buy low right now. I've never read anywhere that you should sell low.

Do you honestly think there is any change that Knile Davis is going to outscore him this year barring injury? No way.
The guy is a cancer in the fantasy locker room.

Take this fwiw.

This is from CBS. They use fantasy points allowed vs RBs to rank the Defensive matchups.

week 4 NYJ 8th

BYE

week 6 TEN 12th

week 7 HOU 9th

week 8 NE 12th

week 9 BUF 7th

week 10 PHI 5th

week 11 DAL 24th

week 12 NYJ 8th

week 13 BAL 5th

week 14 NYG 22nd

week 15 SD 31st

week 16 INDY 24th

week 17 NE 12th

Its very early and this stuff can and will change, but as of now, he faces 1 DEF that is outside of the top 12 in the first 13 weeks.
Awesome playoff schedule per these numbers.

Take this fwiw.

week 4 NYJ 8th

BYE

week 6 TEN 12th

week 7 HOU 9th

week 8 NE 12th

week 9 BUF 7th

week 10 PHI 5th

week 11 DAL 24th

week 12 NYJ 8th

week 13 BAL 5th

week 14 NYG 22nd

week 15 SD 31st

week 16 INDY 24th

week 17 NE 12th

Awesome playoff schedule per these numbers.
Agreed.

the problem IMO is the philosophy and the # of touches. 14, 15 and 10 from your lead back and then you have Jonas Gray come in from nowhere and get 9 carries for 49 yards to Millers' 7 carries for 38 yards. That's not a trend that I'd like to see as a Miller owner. The big appeal in Miller was the "high powered offense" and the fact that he was the only real option in the backfield. Fast forward to week 3 and the Fins offense has been terrible and all the sudden last week he's on the short end of an RBBC with cast away Jonas Gray.

I was thinking of buying Miller but I think I'm going to do the cheaper thing and try and add Gray at the end of my bench and see what happens there.
Box score scouting. Six of Grays carries For 45 yards came on Miami's final drive when they were basically running out the clock in a blowout. Miller was questionable in this game with an ankle injury, he had no reason to be in on that drive. I agree with the 'buy low.'

Last year in week 16 or 17 Miller had what I suspect was the best game of his career against the Jets, which included a 97 yard TD. I dont recall the specifics, but it was somewhere around 170 yards with at least that one TD if not another.

With the way they are struggling right now, and with last year's game still relatively fresh on their minds, I would expect them to try going back to that well this week. That said, this staff has been tough to figure out and sometimes doesnt seem to see the obvious...but even a truly dumb person (which I am sure in reality, they are not) has to be able to see that what they have been doing has not worked, and what they did last year against this team did work. I am looking for and expecting 18+ touches in this game for Miller. What he is able to do with them is a different discussion, but I have to believe that the game plan will change from what they have been doing. Their jobs are officially on the line this week. Bye next week, and a perfect time to replace them if they come up empty again this week.

This could go any which way but I'm picking up Gray. It surprised a lot of people here in NE when they let him go- he's a good RB! He just couldn't get out of BB's doghouse or something. Otherwise it's a hold and hope LM emerges as the season progresses and Gray flames out again- but I think Gray may get his shot.

With the way they are struggling right now, and with last year's game still relatively fresh on their minds, I would expect them to try going back to that well this week. That said, this staff has been tough to figure out and sometimes doesnt seem to see the obvious...but even a truly dumb person (which I am sure in reality, they are not) has to be able to see that what they have been doing has not worked, and what they did last year against this team did work. I am looking for and expecting 18+ touches in this game for Miller. What he is able to do with them is a different discussion, but I have to believe that the game plan will change from what they have been doing. Their jobs are officially on the line this week. Bye next week, and a perfect time to replace them if they come up empty again this week.
Maybe bad logic, but this is what's giving me some hope...they're losing and the offense looks bad so they have some incentive to change. As a Miller owner IMO this is preferable to them doing what they're doing now and luckboxing wins as that seems to reinforce bad coaching/ideas.

This could go any which way but I'm picking up Gray. It surprised a lot of people here in NE when they let him go- he's a good RB! He just couldn't get out of BB's doghouse or something. Otherwise it's a hold and hope LM emerges as the season progresses and Gray flames out again- but I think Gray may get his shot.
I'm not entrenching myself in the Dolphins backfield.

In fact, this is a situation I am aggressively looking to get out of.

Rotoworld:

Lamar Miller carried the ball seven times for 26 yards and caught one of two targets for 10 yards in the Dolphins' Week 4 loss to the Jets.

The Dolphins fell behind quickly and all but abandoned their running game in the second half. Aside from a 13-yard burst on his opening carry, Miller didn't move the needle much. Miller will be an RB3 consideration when the Dolphins travel to Tennessee after next week’s bye.

Oct 4 - 1:49 PM

Just hang on to him. His schedule opens up. Our teams will be 0-5 but when he goes off in week 12 we can finally say YES WE DID IT!! If you are still playing this turd then yes you are 0-5 and NO we dont care about your team so dont bother arguing otherwise.

Well, as bad as its been so far gang, I see light at the end of the tunnel.

I think it will begin when the sun shines through a door, the very same door Philbin is pushed out of when he is hopefully fired this week.

It may still be a week or two before we can start this guy with any sort of confidence, but if you can bench him for another two to three weeks and and survive, then he may be a help down the stretch.

Weeks 6,7, and 14-15-16 all look like must starts.....IF he is actually getting more work by then.

What really kills me about this guy and his scenario, is its not like there is a threat of Williams or Ajayi or really anyone for that matter.

Its like they just flat out refuse to run the ball, regardless of score or how bad the passing game may be at any given time.

(for those naysayers who think they stop running the ball when the game is out of hand, well true, but they certainly haven't been doing a ton of running at any time)

If they bring someone new in, at least they have a couple weeks to try and get a feel for the offense.

Lets hope his carries pick up in a couple of weeks.

TZM

Guy was a big part of a championship for me last year. Felt comfortable enough parting with a first in another this offseason. Really disheartening to see him used like this in a contract year. Hopefully he finds his way to a team that won't treat him with kid gloves after a few carries.

This Just In...... Joe Philbin has been arrested and detained in a London police station for impersonating an NFL coach
Funny, but like the people in London care. I bet most of those tickets are free hand outs over there or season ticket holders that have enough money to make the trip. They might even trick the people into the stadium, free football tickets and they all go rushing in, the doors lock behind them and the realize it is American football and are pissed.

Just hang on to him. His schedule opens up. Our teams will be 0-5 but when he goes off in week 12 we can finally say YES WE DID IT!! If you are still playing this turd then yes you are 0-5 and NO we dont care about your team so dont bother arguing otherwise.
This, the entire team other than Landry look like they have rolled over on this coach and for good reason. The schedule gets easier and the coach will probably be gone. I am not saying he will be a top 10 back the rest of the way out, but even top 20 guys are useful.

I guess I don't see how any of this lack of production lies at the feet of Miller. He looks fine to me. They just aren't using him. This game got our of whack pretty quickly but where were the screen passes and draw plays. Defense was just pinning their ears back and rushing Tannehill.

Philbin should have been fired 2 years ago. But I can't see making Lazor the interim HC since he's even more to blame for the horrendous play calling.

I guess I don't see how any of this lack of production lies at the feet of Miller. He looks fine to me. They just aren't using him. This game got our of whack pretty quickly but where were the screen passes and draw plays. Defense was just pinning their ears back and rushing Tannehill.
This. Miller's YPC really isn't that bad. I don't understand how your best offensive player has 14 carries over the last 2 games. It's like Philbin/Lazoe are afraid to use him or something, I just don't get it.

Users who are viewing this thread