What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lamar Miller, 2016, Infinity and beyond (2 Viewers)

Dolphins interim OC Zac Taylor wants to establish the run.
Bill Lazor was axed on Monday in large part because of his baffling reluctance to commit to the ground game. Lamar Miller has only 12 carries over his past two games. That should be his floor against the Ravens, while Jay Ajayi will be mixed in heavily as a power change of pace.

Miller is going to hit FA with really fresh legs.
Why's that? You think it's Ajayi ROS? Or are you just referring to Miller's low number of carries so far this season?
I'm referring to his entire NFL career, in which he's looked good and never gotten very many carries.
Hopefully that will be a little less true by season's end.
This is a misconception, as if he's a vehicle with low miles.

Trent Richardson has "fresh legs" too...

But I do agree he could be in a better situation and possibly be a top 3 rb

I was just looking at the Miami offense statistically.

The Dolphins have run the ball the fewest number of times of any team in the NFL after 11 games. :shock:

I thought the Lions had abandoned the run. Even they have run the ball more than Miami has.

With 217 rushing attempts this has been 19,7 rushing attempts/game.

20 of these runs have been with Tannehill about 10% of the rushing attempts.

Despite running the ball so little they have still found it a good idea to run with other RB than Miller? Why the face? :X

Lamar Miller has 119 of these 217 rushing attempts. 54.8% of the total rushing attempts. Miller has only run the ball 10.8 times per game.

I don't understand this team.

The Dolphins have run the ball the fewest number of times of any team in the NFL after 11 games. :shock:

I thought the Lions had abandoned the run. Even they have run the ball more than Miami has.

Despite running the ball so little they have still found it a good idea to run with other RB than Miller? Why the face? :X

Lamar Miller has 119 of these 217 rushing attempts. 54.8% of the total rushing attempts. Miller has only run the ball 10.8 times per game.

There is more sickening information to consider.

I know its an arbitrary number, but they have won every single game in which Miller had 13 or more carries.

In fact OF ALL FOUR THEY WON, HE HAS RUN IT 13+ TIMES.

Now I know its a double edged sword, since a team winning or leading tends to run the ball more in general.

But it should be noted that two of their 4 wins were close (1 score or less), and one game they won 20-19.

It doesn't matter how any of us break it down, nor the coaching.

They are more successful when they run the ball......... no other way around it.

QUICK EDIT- Someone email this to the Dolphins coaches. :excited:

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:

Nobody does.

Even in their one blowout win they shut Miller down for the entire second half, after he got 200+ yards in the first half, and who knows, maybe could have gone after some records.

Maddening

Even in their one blowout win they shut Miller down for the entire second half, after he got 200+ yards in the first half, and who knows, maybe could have gone after some records.

Maddening
That was really frustrating. I know they were up big and had a game the following Thursday, but he didn't play at all in the 2nd half of that game. So you think, well since they rested him, he'll see a good workload the next week. Nope, 9 carries against New England and a total of 14 touches. Just so stupid.

It seems like every game, they start out giving him the ball pretty frequently on their first drive and then just forget about him.

Just last week, he had 0, yes, 0 carries in the 2nd half. They were only down 14-0 at half time and they got the ball to start the 2nd half. Hell, they ran the ball TWICE the entire 2nd half.

Going back and looking at the play by play for each game, I don't think I've ever seen worse play-calling before.

That's why these 2 idiots have been fired. Lazor was obviously totally incompetent. Even after a stretch of winning games with Miller as the focal point, that moron went back to throwing the minute the team was down 7 points. Now he's standing in front of the mirror looking at an unemployed idiot.

Zac Taylor is the new OC. Seemed like he was QB at Nebraska not all that long ago, he's young. Basically a Mike Sherman protege and is even married to his daughter. Good luck figuring the next week out.

Miller's usage this last game - his last real carry was at 6 minutes left in the first half. He had a carry to run out the clock on the last play of the 1st half. He had a target on the first drive of the second half and another target on the next drive. And that was it. I agree with the comments further up about the lack of receptions, he probably could have feasted on the underneath stuff in comeback mode but the Phins apparently weren't too interested. - For comparison, Ajayi got a (the) goal line carry and two targets in the 2nd half before the last drive. - FFwise, how sick is it to be watching a game midway through the 2nd quarter and figure you've probably got at least another 5 points coming to you and all you get is 2 catches for -6 yards the rest of the day.

Zac Taylor is the new OC. Seemed like he was QB at Nebraska not all that long ago, he's young. Basically a Mike Sherman protege and is even married to his daughter. Good luck figuring the next week out.

Miller's usage this last game - his last real carry was at 6 minutes left in the first half. He had a carry to run out the clock on the last play of the 1st half. He had a target on the first drive of the second half and another target on the next drive. And that was it. I agree with the comments further up about the lack of receptions, he probably could have feasted on the underneath stuff in comeback mode but the Phins apparently weren't too interested. - For comparison, Ajayi got a (the) goal line carry and two targets in the 2nd half before the last drive. - FFwise, how sick is it to be watching a game midway through the 2nd quarter and figure you've probably got at least another 5 points coming to you and all you get is 2 catches for -6 yards the rest of the day.
I was looking at the game write ups on FBGs and didn't even realize he was out snapped by both Ajayi and Williams last week. How is that possible?

I was looking at the game write ups on FBGs and didn't even realize he was out snapped by both Ajayi and Williams last week. How is that possible?
That is weird, I got to watch some of that game and it seemed like the RB I noticed in there in the 2nd half was Williams. No idea what was going on. The Phins had two long drives to close the game and Ajayi was in there for both of those, I think he piled up snaps there. Williams was in for the 4th qtr drive before that. I'm not sure Miller saw the field in the 4th. Ajayi closed out the last drive of the 3rd too.

That is weird, I got to watch some of that game and it seemed like the RB I noticed in there in the 2nd half was Williams. No idea what was going on. The Phins had two long drives to close the game and Ajayi was in there for both of those, I think he piled up snaps there. Williams was in for the 4th qtr drive before that. I'm not sure Miller saw the field in the 4th. Ajayi closed out the last drive of the 3rd too.
It doesn't make any sense. It's like they're resting Miller, for what, I have no idea. But they have no issue leaving Tannehill in when the game is out of hand. Did the same thing against Houston. Miller didn't play in the 2nd half, but Tannehill did.

Expect a heaping portion of Lamar Miller this weekend. If not.....it's a clear signal they are letting him walk in the off-season.

Plenty of teams would love to have him.

MattFancy said:
Anyone thinking of starting him this week against Baltimore?
i'm debating this too. he could have a monster game but i'm not sure. i'd chance it if it was a regular season matchup for me but it's playoff time.

Biabreakable said:

Well, when you've got a weapon like Ryan Tannehill you...um...well...yeah, I got nothin'. :shrug:

MattFancy said:
I'm leaning toward CJ Anderson instead going against San Diego. :oldunsure:

can Dan Campbell take much of a chance sitting the pending FAs like Miller in order to get a look at the younger guys? He has to look out for his own career too.

MattFancy said:
i'm debating this too. he could have a monster game but i'm not sure. i'd chance it if it was a regular season matchup for me but it's playoff time.
Trying to decide between Miller, Lacy, or Draughn. Leaning Lacy for now.
me too. I am leaning Miller. Ed has a terrible history in DET and they have stuffed the run lately. I think the Phins get Lamar the ball this week.

MattFancy said:
I guess he could have a monster game, NFL is so crazy to predict....however Baltimore has only allowed 4 rushing TDs this year and his weak vs pass, not run.

can Dan Campbell take much of a chance sitting the pending FAs like Miller in order to get a look at the younger guys? He has to look out for his own career too.
This staff is basically dead men walking. I think Campbell get's Miller a massive workload going forward. When he touches the ball 13 plus times this team wins and stays competitive. he must look out for himself to catch on somewhere else. Miller is the teams best playmaker. It's not even close. I love Landry, but he is not a game breaker. Miller is.

The play calling vs the Jets was the straw that broke the camels back. It was clear Lasor felt by-passed by ownership for the interim HC job. Here he was Campbell's superior under Philbin. Next thing you know Campbell is his.

There was a lot more going on behind the scenes. I think Lasor was like **** you I am running the offense. Who the hell knows. All I saw was a ridiculous belief that Tannehill can put a team on his back chucking it 50 plus times. They were down 7-0 for a long time and just never got any running game going. It was insane.

It's a joke. They must have a running game to have a chance win. Tannehill is average at best. And they invested 96MM in this guy. Dear lord.

Team is a mess. Has been for 15 years running.

This staff is basically dead men walking. I think Campbell get's Miller a massive workload going forward. When he touches the ball 13 plus times this team wins and stays competitive. he must look out for himself to catch on somewhere else. Miller is the teams best playmaker. It's not even close. I love Landry, but he is not a game breaker. Miller is.

The play calling vs the Jets was the straw that broke the camels back. It was clear Lasor felt by-passed by ownership for the interim HC job. Here he was Campbell's superior under Philbin. Next thing you know Campbell is his.

There was a lot more going on behind the scenes. I think Lasor was like **** you I am running the offense. Who the hell knows. All I saw was a ridiculous belief that Tannehill can put a team on his back chucking it 50 plus times. They were down 7-0 for a long time and just never got any running game going. It was insane.

It's a joke. They must have a running game to have a chance win. Tannehill is average at best. And they invested 96MM in this guy. Dear lord.

Team is a mess. Has been for 15 years running.
Makes sense. Lazor should never again be allowed to make any decisions on offense at the Pro level. Whether it was complete stupidity or him trying to screw over Campbell doesn't really matter. He either showed total incompetence or that he's a #### head.

He won't be the coach. If he thinks so, he's dreaming. It'd have taken MIA making the playoffs for them to give him consideration imo.

I'm actually expecting a big game this week. It's against a semi tough run D but the extra emphasis on run game plus probably a solid amount of catches means good things. Starting with confidence

Everywhere I look Miller is ranked higher than my other options (D.Johnson and Hillman PPR), but I don't think I can count on him in a must-win game for me. Why is everyone so high on him this week? He's had 5 straight games with less than 50 yards rushing. 50 yards!

Everywhere I look Miller is ranked higher than my other options (D.Johnson and Hillman PPR), but I don't think I can count on him in a must-win game for me. Why is everyone so high on him this week? He's had 5 straight games with less than 50 yards rushing. 50 yards!
I'm not, at all. If that was my roster, I'd have Miller as easily the #3 for this week.

I'm not, at all. If that was my roster, I'd have Miller as easily the #3 for this week.
That's where I have him too. AP anchoring the unit, so not all bad. I really want to start Hillman, but will probably go Johnson. Hillman running at Qualcomm again (college at SDSU) has me thinking he's going to have a big game.

Where are you looking? The average of the 20 most accurate "experts" at FantasyPros currently has DJ ranked 9th this week in PPR versus Miller's 14th.

“We’re going to run the ball,” said Taylor, who joined the Dolphins’ staff as assistant quarterbacks coach in 2012. “I think it’s important our players have that mindset.”

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-miami-dolphins-fire-offensive-coordinator-bill-lazor-20151130-story.html

Where are you looking? The average of the 20 most accurate "experts" at FantasyPros currently has DJ ranked 9th this week in PPR versus Miller's 14th.
Roto, my yahoo league projections, mfl projections, and pigskin.

Same here. He's my #3 this week. can't trust the team to use him correctly even after the firing of Lozer.

Interesting note. In spite of the criminal underutilization, Lamar Miller is quietly the #4 PPR rb year to date.

If there is a return to rational coaching, he could carry a lot of championship teams.

I can't decide whether to start Miller with new OC, West in rbbc, or Landry to be completely safe. Must win game and Lacy already laid an egg.

Interesting note. In spite of the criminal underutilization, Lamar Miller is quietly the #4 PPR rb year to date.

If there is a return to rational coaching, he could carry a lot of championship teams.
Not sure what's different about our scoring, but he's 3rd in my PPR league. Three points ahead of D. Martin.

The problem with Miller this year has not been his total output, but more so how its been spread out.

The first 4 weeks were pretty bare, but then 4 of the next 5 weeks were pretty huge.

Then its been brutal again.

If you were fortunate you could have cherry picked your way to a few of the big games, but almost certainly a few of us owners got burned and started him for a couple of the bad ones also.

He most likely will get a few more attempts from now on (after the silliness last week of 9 rushing attempts on the team as a whole) but I don't like the matchup yet, and to be honest I am not sure I trust the situation either.

The good news is, he has a great playoff schedule, including ....

WEEK 14 vs. NYG

WEEK 15 @ SD

WEEK 16 vs. INDY

I think they will recommit to running, and he should get more attempts from here on out.

I will likely bench him this week, and if it seems he has the green light again I will ride him in the playoffs.

Not sure I want to fade him this week in a matchup that's not the best, and we aren't sure of workload just yet.

TZM

Users who are viewing this thread