What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lamar Miller, 2016, Infinity and beyond (2 Viewers)

smoke monster said:
From a dynasty perspective I've been counting down the days until he can bail this dumpster fire but a few plugged in folks on Twitter last night sounded like he was coming back to Miami.

If so, :sadbanana:
They're not going far this year. Why wear him out? This wouldn't make sense if they were going to let him go, I'd say his under-usage is a strong sign he'll be back in Miami.
That might make sense if the carries went to another RB but it's not like they let Ajayi take over for him down the stretch. Ajayi had 5 carries all game. They just aren't committed to running the ball.

smoke monster said:
Ok so at this point it has to be either

1. Dolphins are trying to keep him fresh and keep his price down to resign him

2. They're trying to get a higher draft pick

3. Miller totally pissed off someone high up in the organization

Incompetence cannot be an excuse anymore.
I would think #1 if they were so stupid from the beginning.They may even be able to coax him back since he is from the area. If so, I will trade him away as they have a proven track record of incompetence.

Grab lead with Miller, piss away lead with Tannehill.

I am starting to wonder if Tannehill is in fact part of the problem as far as changing the play to try and show people that he can win games with his arm. Where there is smoke there is fire and the incidents with the PS players picking him off isn't something someone just makes up out of the blue. I think this guy wants to carry the team and he keeps trying to and keeps costing the team wins. If so, he needs reigned in and told to flat out run the play called.
Even if this were the case I was seeing alot more of #23 and #34 in and not #26.

Didn't see any post game but if Miller wasn't hurt, I don't care if Campbell was only a TE coach and in over his head. I have no coaching and know enough if something and someone is lighting it up you do that until it isn't working anymore. Hope a reporter drills him on this to see what was being processed in his mind.

smoke monster said:

I would think #1 if they were so stupid from the beginning.They may even be able to coax him back since he is from the area. If so, I will trade him away as they have a proven track record of incompetence.

I am starting to wonder if Tannehill is in fact part of the problem as far as changing the play to try and show people that he can win games with his arm. Where there is smoke there is fire and the incidents with the PS players picking him off isn't something someone just makes up out of the blue. I think this guy wants to carry the team and he keeps trying to and keeps costing the team wins. If so, he needs reigned in and told to flat out run the play called.
Even if this were the case I was seeing alot more of #23 and #34 in and not #26.

Didn't see any post game but if Miller wasn't hurt, I don't care if Campbell was only a TE coach and in over his head. I have no coaching and know enough if something and someone is lighting it up you do that until it isn't working anymore. Hope a reporter drills him on this to see what was being processed in his mind.
Miller can't answer it: Lamar Miller says he didn't suffer an injury, his ankle was just getting taped. He doesn't know why he didn't get more second half carries.

I hope he doesn't take that home team discount. It will be like having DeAngelo Williams all over again. That was the last time I recall such horrible misuse of a RB.

Here's a complete list of NFL RB's with 100 carries who are averaging 5.1 YPC or higher:

1. Thomas Rawls (5.6) - 147 carries in 7 starts (21.0 avg)

2. Todd Gurley (5.3) - 189 carries in 10 starts (18.9 avg)

3. Doug Martin (5.2) - 238 carries in 13 starts (18.3 avg)

4. Lamar Miller (5.1) - 151 carries in 13 starts (11.6 avg)

Remember that old song from Sesame Street? "One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just isn't the same..."

I hope Miller has enough sense to jump ship this offseason, but you have to admit their misuse of him might be a perverse temptation. "I can be a rich 25-year-old livin' year-round in Baltimore and getting hit 25 times a game ... or a slightly less rich 25-year-old livin' it up year-round in South Beach and getting hit 12 times a game. Decisions, decisions ..."

From a dynasty perspective I've been counting down the days until he can bail this dumpster fire but a few plugged in folks on Twitter last night sounded like he was coming back to Miami.

I'd be curious to know who those folks are and if they really know something.

Can't imagine that Miller wouldn't at least see what's out there before deciding to take a hometown discount.

smoke monster said:

They're not going far this year. Why wear him out? This wouldn't make sense if they were going to let him go, I'd say his under-usage is a strong sign he'll be back in Miami.
Having him perform his job is not wearing him out. The season is also almost over. These players are paid a lot of money to do their job, and you don't shelf a healthy player so that you "won't wear him out". Miller was running all over the Giants, but the Dolphins decided not to use him in a close game in the second half. That is bad coaching.

smoke monster said:

Having him perform his job is not wearing him out. The season is also almost over. These players are paid a lot of money to do their job, and you don't shelf a healthy player so that you "won't wear him out". Miller was running all over the Giants, but the Dolphins decided not to use him in a close game in the second half. That is bad coaching.
Campbell just blew his interview. He could have made a statement and what he did is show that he is not only not in control, he doesn't know what he is doing. You simply run Miller until it doesn't work and the D stops it. Huge failure. How are these guys so stupid?

smoke monster said:

Agreed - I don't buy the concept that coaches/teams don't like to wear players out for future contract/personnel reasons. If someone is hurt and they're limited, that's a different thing and more understandable.

For whatever reason, the staff decided to abandon Miller and the running game in the second half. Maybe they saw something on the defense that led them to throw the ball, but obviously it didn't work. And why they didn't use Miller in the passing game is another baffling thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a frustrated Miller owner too, but he's had a great year. Could of been more, but I'll take it. Even with his paltry carries, he's the #3 scoring RB in the non-ppr, distance scoring league I'm in. With the devastation at the RB position this year, I feel lucky to have gotten what I got from him.

One question I have is that Miller has had 3 different offensive coordinators who have seemingly misused him, maybe it is him. Don't know what the issue could be, but 3 different OC's not feeding the guy?

i'm reading about the possibility of him getting the franchise tag and it seems unlikely. he very well could hit the open market and get to choose to bail on Miami.

smoke monster said:
smoke monster said:

Actually when it comes to running backs, the more you have them perform their job, the more they tend to wear out. I'm not sure how you could state otherwise as it's pretty much been proven with RB's who get over 370 carries in a season. The coaching staff is probably taking the long view at this point in the season.

What do they gain from grinding out wins with Miller? More wear and tear on one of their best players and a worse pick.

Or they can save Miller and help themselves possibly get a better draft pick.
The coaching staff just finished digging their own grave if the FO has a clue at all. They showed ineptitude. They are fighting for their jobs and failed.

Grinding out wins show you are viable coaches in this league. The showed the opposite. They showed that they are losers in this league and coaching in the NFL is way over their heads.

They are trying to save their jobs. There is no next year for them.

i'm reading about the possibility of him getting the franchise tag and it seems unlikely. he very well could hit the open market and get to choose to bail on Miami.
The smart teams watched last night and are waiting to steal this guy from them if they can.

I can't imagine any RB in this day and age getting the franchise tag unless you're AP (in his prime) or maybe Gurley when his rookie contract is up. Teams just don't want to pay up for RBs when it's been proven that solid guys can be found in late rounds or even undrafted.

Did Campbell even get asked why he didn't run Miller in the second half by any of the local reporters after the game?
It does not even matter. The Dolphins celebrated their 50th anniversary before the game by airing the gala event. I watched it. It made me so angry. What a great, proud and fun team this was for me from 1975 (the first time I ever went to a Dolphins game) to 1995. When the Robbie family was forced to sell for well below market value to corporate mogul Wayne Huzinga the end was sealed. Although Wayne tried in vain to keep the team a winner by bringing in Jimmy Johnson when Shula was basically forced to retire (a sham IMO) Jimmy and Marino did not mix and Marino was at the end of his great career anyway.

It has been nothing but a pure **it show since 1999. Sad.

Lamar will be lost to free agency. This team has no clue. The ownership of Steve Ross has been an un-mitigated disaster.

I can't imagine any RB in this day and age getting the franchise tag unless you're AP (in his prime) or maybe Gurley when his rookie contract is up. Teams just don't want to pay up for RBs when it's been proven that solid guys can be found in late rounds or even undrafted.
Like Lamar who was a 4th round steal IMO.

Too bad this team does not use this kid to his fullest potential. He is a real deal three down back with game breaking speed. A rare bird in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a complete list of NFL RB's with 100 carries who are averaging 5.1 YPC or higher:

1. Thomas Rawls (5.6) - 147 carries in 7 starts (21.0 avg)

2. Todd Gurley (5.3) - 189 carries in 10 starts (18.9 avg)

3. Doug Martin (5.2) - 238 carries in 13 starts (18.3 avg)

4. Lamar Miller (5.1) - 151 carries in 13 starts (11.6 avg)

Remember that old song from Sesame Street? "One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just isn't the same..."

I hope Miller has enough sense to jump ship this offseason, but you have to admit their misuse of him might be a perverse temptation. "I can be a rich 25-year-old livin' year-round in Baltimore and getting hit 25 times a game ... or a slightly less rich 25-year-old livin' it up year-round in South Beach and getting hit 12 times a game laid 12 times a day. Decisions, decisions ..."
Fixed

The whole use of Miller is one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. It truly is. This is the elite level of football in the WORLD. The top 32 teams. Only 32 head coaching jobs in the world at this level out of thousands and thousands and thousands of coaches everywhere.

And it's amazing the amount of evidence that has been accumulated.

--Lamar Miller has a CAREER 4.8 ypc on almost 600 attempts.

--Two coaches have been fired this year for not using him enough

--Miami is so far in last place in rushing attempts per game while having ranking 2nd in the NFL in YPC

--When they didn't give him the ball, they lost

--When they gave him the ball, they won

--When they went back to not giving him the ball, they lost again

--When they went back and gave it to him the last week, they won

--When they gave him the ball in the first half, he had 90 yds and 2 TDs and they were winning

With all that info, they just decided to not give him the ball. The dumbest thing I may have ever seen in professional sports.

The whole use of Miller is one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. It truly is. This is the elite level of football in the WORLD. The top 32 teams. Only 32 head coaching jobs in the world at this level out of thousands and thousands and thousands of coaches everywhere.

And it's amazing the amount of evidence that has been accumulated.

--Lamar Miller has a CAREER 4.8 ypc on almost 600 attempts.

--Two coaches have been fired this year for not using him enough

--Miami is so far in last place in rushing attempts per game while having ranking 2nd in the NFL in YPC

--When they didn't give him the ball, they lost

--When they gave him the ball, they won

--When they went back to not giving him the ball, they lost again

--When they went back and gave it to him the last week, they won

--When they gave him the ball in the first half, he had 90 yds and 2 TDs and they were winning

With all that info, they just decided to not give him the ball. The dumbest thing I may have ever seen in professional sports.
Anyone who's never taken the time to read Gianmarco's sig is missing out. Maybe I'm partial to it because I live in the Alaskan town he references, haha. I've copied and pasted it to local buddies many times.

The process of evaluating coaching talent is not nearly as rigorous as the evaluation of players.

I think there may be some unexplored value that could come out of coach evaluation and teams should be trying to discover it.

Miller's lack of usage IS frustrating to watch. But even with his limited touches, he's still the #4 RB in my PPR keeper league, so I've been pretty damn happy with him. Helped me lead the league in total points and get a 1st Round BYE. Maybe his limited number of touches has contributed to him being healthy going into week 15. If he was touching the ball 20 times a game all season, who knows if he would have made it this far.

That being said... if he goes 8 carries for 48 yards this weekend, pretty sure I'll be ready to smash my televsion.

lod01 said:
smoke monster said:

I would think #1 if they were so stupid from the beginning.

They may even be able to coax him back since he is from the area. If so, I will trade him away as they have a proven track record of incompetence.

Came here to say this.

Everyone's gone but Tanny. He's the last man without a chair. Coach killer?

Omar Kelly@OmarKelly now3 seconds ago
#Dolphins tailback Lamar Miller had his practice participation limited by an ankle injury on Wednesday. The saga continues.
*Lamar Miller (ankle) was limited in Wednesday's practice. It explains why Miller had only five carries in the second half of Monday night.

*Jarvis Landry (knee) was limited in Wednesday's practice. The Dolphins are managing his reps coming off Monday night’s loss.

***So funny that 6 minutes earlier on Rotoworld, same headline: Dolphins managing Laundry's reps, but Miller actually injured... c'mon man

For those gauging others decisions in their own rankings, I sat Miller for Gurley tonight. In a perfect world, I would not have. This is a match-up that Miller should REALLY take advantage of, but I just can't trust his team to put the ball in his hands. Morons.

Starting Miller in my semifinal and it scares me to death not know his usage. Lockett and Landry other 2 option in non ppr. Miller has best chance in my opinion

In a season with so much inconsistency at RB and so many injuries... if Miller is healthy... I gotta start him. My only other option would be picking up a guy like Robinson, Bryce or Bolden off waivers. I've road Miller all year and I can't see getting cute and replacing him with a waiver option in the semi-finals. His upside is too high and the matchup too good. I also think as banged up as the San Diego offense is, maybe Miami won't be in a hole the entire 2nd half and Miller will actually get a full game's worth of usage. Wouldn't that be nice.

230 yards short of his second straight 1000 yard season, and he has come out publicly and said it is important to him. If they want to have any shot at keeping him next year, you would think they would do what they can to keep him happy. They are also getting lambasted by local media for the misusage of him. I think he gets 20+ carries this week. Staring with the utmost confidence.

It would not shock me at all if this ends up just like DeAngelo Williams in 2011. He had an opportunity to leave and get a better gig but took the home team offer and they totally misused him for the next 4 years.

Lamar Miller says he wants to remain in Miami if it’s the right situation, and the Dolphins apparently want to make it happen, Andrew Abramson of the Palm Beach Post reports.

According to a source, the team has approached Miller’s representatives and expressed a desire to sign him to a long-term contract extension. Negotiations haven’t begun yet.

The two sides have until early March to reach an extension before Miller becomes a free agent.

Miller said Wednesday that the Dolphins haven’t yet reached out to him about a new deal.

Miller’s 769 rushing yards are tied for 13th in the league. But he has just 151 carries, tied for 22nd.

Miller said he wants more carries and that could be one of the factors in his free agency decision.

It would not shock me at all if this ends up just like DeAngelo Williams in 2011. He had an opportunity to leave and get a better gig but took the home team offer and they totally misused him for the next 4 years.

Lamar Miller says he wants to remain in Miami if it’s the right situation, and the Dolphins apparently want to make it happen, Andrew Abramson of the Palm Beach Post reports.

According to a source, the team has approached Miller’s representatives and expressed a desire to sign him to a long-term contract extension. Negotiations haven’t begun yet.

The two sides have until early March to reach an extension before Miller becomes a free agent.

Miller said Wednesday that the Dolphins haven’t yet reached out to him about a new deal.

Miller’s 769 rushing yards are tied for 13th in the league. But he has just 151 carries, tied for 22nd.

Miller said he wants more carries and that could be one of the factors in his free agency decision.
As a Fins fan, desperately want him to stay.

As a Lamar Miller Dynasty owner, desperately want him to leave.

230 yards short of his second straight 1000 yard season, and he has come out publicly and said it is important to him. If they want to have any shot at keeping him next year, you would think they would do what they can to keep him happy. They are also getting lambasted by local media for the misusage of him. I think he gets 20+ carries this week. Staring with the utmost confidence.
Awesome point.

Awesome point.
Or not.

I hate that I was born into fandom for this horrid franchise.

Totally makes sense to keep your most talented football player off the field for most the game. Phenomenal coaching again

Lamar is gone from Miami. No doubt in my mind now.

Miami is inept. From the very top all the way down to towel and water boys. A horrid franchise and Steven Ross is a garbage owner.

He pissed all over our traditions and he can choke on this team. They are in huge trouble next season. Huge. Season tickets will dwindle even more.

This team is absolute garbage.

I kept think he must have gotten hurt. Was that the case? Or was it once again just the stupid idiot moron coaching?

I kept think he must have gotten hurt. Was that the case? Or was it once again just the stupid idiot moron coaching?
Not hurt at all. Just pure moronic coaching. It is mind boggling. Keep your best play maker off the field basically the entire game.

Forget trying to get him involved on screens and dump offs...naaaaaa. Let him rot on the sideline so he can't get a better contract offer in the off-season. They have not even approached him about an extension yet.

But they are paying Tannekill 96MM for this dreck.

Choke on that contract Ross. I hope you end up paying every ****ing red cent of that and the Suh contract while your ****ing refurbished stadium sits half full all year.

**it for brains owner. Great real estate business man. But a **it for brains football owner.

tannehill was getting abused behind center. it's like he owed money to every guy on the o-line *and* ####ed their wives, sisters, daughters, and mothers.

nothing was happening on offense.

Users who are viewing this thread