Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Lamar Miller, 2016, Infinity and beyond

Evil G

2 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Where are you seeing him putting on more weight?

Whoops, I got my signals crossed it looks like, it was last year's weight gain to 225. Saw snippets from an article but it was a 2015 article.

Just checked the Texans roster and it shows him at 220 now.

On 9/5/2016 at 1:23 PM, gianmarco said:

How can you say that so confidently?

-- He had 240-250 touches the last 2 years in Miami, a team that was dead last in the NFL in rushing attempts at 21.5/game and he's going to Houston that was 5th in the NFL last year in rushing attempts at almost 30/game.

-- He has virtually nobody behind him to threaten touches.  Tyler Ervin, a 192 lb late 4th round draft pick is his backup.  Miller will get early down work, 3rd down passing work, AND goal line work.

-- Miller is 5'10, 225 lbs.  He is built to handle that kind of workload at the NFL level at his size.  In games last year where he had 14+ carries, he had 103 carries for 535 yards (5.2 ypc). 

-- I would argue that his FLOOR is 250 touches and that I'd be surprised if he isn't close to 300.  350 is a stretch, but 250 carries, or just over 15 carries/game and 50 receptions is not only reasonable but almost expected given the team history, situation, and fact that they brought him in to be the guy.

Miller with 17 touches.  In the 1st half. 

On pace for 544 touches on the season!

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, zeeshan2 said:

Hopefully some goods news for Miller and Hopkins owners:

According to sources #Texans coach Bill O'Brien is now calling the plays, taking those duties away from offensive coordinator George Godsey

Any change is better than none, but unless the offensive line starts doing its job, it may be the same old, same old.

On 9/26/2016 at 8:50 AM, zed2283 said:

Yeah, it's been a little frustrating given all the touches.  But I'd rather have the touches than not have them.

If he would just keep his feet sometimes...

This. It's hard to find RBs these days who you can count on getting a large # of touches and that's exactly what we're seeing with Miller. The TDs will eventually come getting that many opportunities.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buzzbait said:

This. It's hard to find RBs these days who you can count on getting a large # of touches and that's exactly what we're seeing with Miller. The TDs will eventually come getting that many opportunities.

Yep, Texans schedule is also pretty easy after they face Minnesota and Denver, so I think Miller will have some good matchups to take advantage of. The TD's will definitely start to come, they haven't had a rushing TD all year.

I had Miller at #6 in my ROS top 5 but I like his prospects as much as anybody's outside of DJ and Bell.

I saw someone mention their O-line getting healthier.  I know Duane Brown was out but havent paid much attention otherwise.  Osweiler has also looked a bit shaky at times.

But you have to love the volume he's getting and there's a good chance the overall offense improves, which will lead to more yards per touch and finding the endzone. 

Duane Brown started practicing for the first time this week, outside chance he plays against the Titans Sunday, but more likely he comes back against Minn next week. He should help protect Os's blind side at the very least and hopefully boost the line play up to below average instead of outright terrible as it has been the first few games.

I just hope that O'Brien actually starts using Miller in the passing game.  The line is letting him down, for sure, but Miller is excellent in space.  Why they aren't designing more plays to get the ball to him through the air is beyond me.  Foster was a target machine in this offense, and while Miller is no Foster in that regard, he's still damn good in the passing game.  The line isn't giving him space... fine, create space by splitting him out, use him on angle routes, swing passes, whatever.  He's too good in space not to be more creative in his usage. 

15 minutes ago, Mene said:

I just hope that O'Brien actually starts using Miller in the passing game.  The line is letting him down, for sure, but Miller is excellent in space.  Why they aren't designing more plays to get the ball to him through the air is beyond me.  Foster was a target machine in this offense, and while Miller is no Foster in that regard, he's still damn good in the passing game.  The line isn't giving him space... fine, create space by splitting him out, use him on angle routes, swing passes, whatever.  He's too good in space not to be more creative in his usage. 

This exactly.  It's been the same run plays over and over, so predictable. 

2 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

This exactly.  It's been the same run plays over and over, so predictable. 

That New England game was an embarrassment for the Houston play caller.  Miller up the middle.  Miller up the middle.  3rd and long... Miller up the middle.  If this was their plan for their RB, they should have saved some money and signed Blount or someone of that ilk.  You want to mindlessly pound the ball up the middle, get a back who's not capable of much more and have at it.  You signed a guy who is best used in space, where he can take advantage of his speed and agility, and you are grinding him into a nub on the backside of your center/guards.  Watching that game was like watching a high school game where the coach just wants to protect the QB from a mistake.  If Osweiller has them nervous enough that they feel they need to hide him and just pound the ball up the middle, they need to just clean house on their personal department.  They spent a lot of money bringing those two in, and they are misusing one, and hiding the other, and it's resulting in an offense that is not only hard to watch, but will waste away a pretty good defense.

On 9/5/2016 at 2:15 PM, Anarchy99 said:

If anyone can explain the following, I'd love to hear it . . .

Miller career ypc playing at home in Miami: 5.41.
Miller career ypc playing away from Miami: 3.67.

Miller playing away from Miami this year: 3.77

5 minutes ago, Steeler said:

It looks like he loses his feet too frquently and falls down with little (or no) contact... anyone else notice that?

Yep. He's also not taking it around the edge enough. He fast and they are not using his speed the way they should. He's got the speed to look first then head to the hole. If it's not where the play calls for you go elsewhere. Leveon Bell does it and he's not nearly as fast.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2016 at 2:11 PM, Steeler said:

It looks like he loses his feet too frquently and falls down with little (or no) contact... anyone else notice that?

I thought he was going down pretty easy on runs between the tackles when it didn't look like he had anywhere to go. Though last week was better there.  I agree that I'd like to see him on more outside runs, some pitches, etc. Not sure the current line is the best at pulling though.

No td's yet and up against probably the most brutal DEF in the entire league, a defense that has yet to allow a rushing touchdown. The obvious outcome since this is the NFL and all logic constantly goes out the window? He scores this weekend and confounds everyone! Don't believe it? Yeah, me either. Benching him everywhere I own him.

11 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

No td's yet and up against probably the most brutal DEF in the entire league, a defense that has yet to allow a rushing touchdown. The obvious outcome since this is the NFL and all logic constantly goes out the window? He scores this weekend and confounds everyone! Don't believe it? Yeah, me either. Benching him everywhere I own him.

Maybe because they were poised to stop Eli and the passing game, but I was at the game and there were runs and passes to be had. Some big plays.  They stuff RB's up the middle but lose containment on edges.  Darka, Perkins actually did pretty well. I own the MN D, expect them to be tough Sun but not invincible.  Also hard to be up after MNF.  Miller might be OK

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

2 rushing touchdowns, 1 receiving, and 130 combined yards.

Watching highlights on Football Night in America... looking like the defense has just given up. MIA playing from behind a lot the rest of the way... hard to dictate with your offense under those conditions.

I think we all had Miller ranked in, or close to, top 10 RBs for 2016. I agree though... looking like the front runner for Bust of the Year.

2 minutes ago, Dizzy said:

Watching highlights on Football Night in America... looking like the defense has just given up. MIA playing from behind a lot the rest of the way... hard to dictate with your offense under those conditions.

I think we all had Miller ranked in, or close to, top 10 RBs for 2016. I agree though... looking like the front runner for Bust of the Year.

You know Miller is on the Texans now, right? Or did you mean HOU instead of MIA?

If you meant HOU, I don't think they are a good team, but look at their remaining schedule. After Denver in week 7, it is incredibly easy and they have some very vulnerable run D's to face. JAX and IND twice, DET, OAK, SD. I'm still holding out hope that Miller can be the RB1 we have all been expecting, starting next week in Indy. I'm happy it's SNF so I'll be able to watch him the whole game and see how he's running.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dizzy said:

This is how bad it is. His owners don't even know who he plays for. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Bucsfan5493 said:

You know Miller is on the Texans now, right? Or did you mean HOU instead of MIA?

If you meant HOU, I don't think they are a good team, but look at their remaining schedule. After Denver in week 7, it is incredibly easy and they have some very vulnerable run D's to face. JAX and IND twice, DET, OAK, SD. I'm still holding out hope that Miller can be the RB1 we have all been expecting, starting next week in Indy. I'm happy it's SNF so I'll be able to watch him the whole game and see how he's running.

What a huge brain fart! Yes to both... knew he was on HOU, and I was talking about MIA.

I'm never drinking again.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2016 at 8:27 AM, Shutout said:

I think people have this vision that he is going to be what Arian Foster was and have that type of value and I don't think he can do it. No fancy metrics and stats and references to this and that. I'll just say I've seen his play and he's no Arian Foster.

Bump for relevance.   Sell, friends, if you can.