Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Lamar Miller, 2016, Infinity and beyond

Evil G

The MN game is a total toss.  Nobody should be making a move based on this week.  Vikings are that good.

One has to believe the schedule gets better, the line gets healthier, and he can be an RB1 in the 2nd half.  If not you trade him for some WR2, which is all you'll get for him right now.  I'm holding.  Hopefully we'll have enough wins to even get in the playoffs with a first round pick playing like this.  He wasn't that far off in the first 4 weeks.  Volume was there, 80-90 yards, just no TD's are breakaways.   At this point, I just want him to contribute.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Not sure if you've noticed but Anderson hasn't been playing so hot lately either.  And unlike Miller he's starting to lose touches to his backup.

Blue:  6 carries for 39 yards (6.5 YPC)

Miller: 8 carries for 20 yards (2.5 YPC)

15 minutes ago, cstu said:

Fair enough on the numbers but you know they are misleading here.  Blue is a replacement level JAG that got a few carries in an extreme case of garbage time (all of his carries were on the last drive late in the 4th quarter down by 25).  Booker is an up and coming rookie that is taking carries in both passing situations and in the meat of the game.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, cstu said:

All of Blues carries came in garbage time with the Vikings playing a prevent defense and inviting the Texans to run the ball because they didn't care. About the only successful drive the Texans had in the whole game.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Not sure if you've noticed but Anderson hasn't been playing so hot lately either.  And unlike Miller he's starting to lose touches to his backup.

6 hours ago, Captain Hook said:

you still playing in elementary school leagues? WTF would trade Anderson for Miller?

I'm not jumping up and down on this deal but I wanted to mix it up and I also own Booker.  Dynasty league and CJA has a lower salary.  I could regret this trade but HOU is playing awful and yes DEN offense is getting stagnant again like last year.  Just think there is more upside with CJA moving fwd.  Lamar beefed up way too much to carry the load and its affecting his qame.  Just my thoughts.

Miller obviously isn't playing well, but a lot of the issues are beyond him. This is a guy who averaged 4.5, 5.1. 4.0 and 4.9 YPC his last four years, so it's not like he forgot how to play the position.

Osweiler's struggles aren't doing him any favors and the offensive line is getting manhandled week after week. What I continue to not understand is why Miller is hardly used in the passing game - he's an excellent receiver.

The Texans' schedule is easing up now, so we should have a better glimpse as to whether it was an early struggle for Miller and the whole offense, or if it's truly a lost year all around.

1 hour ago, zamboni said:

Miller obviously isn't playing well, but a lot of the issues are beyond him. This is a guy who averaged 4.5, 5.1. 4.0 and 4.9 YPC his last four years, so it's not like he forgot how to play the position.

Osweiler's struggles aren't doing him any favors and the offensive line is getting manhandled week after week. What I continue to not understand is why Miller is hardly used in the passing game - he's an excellent receiver.

The Texans' schedule is easing up now, so we should have a better glimpse as to whether it was an early struggle for Miller and the whole offense, or if it's truly a lost year all around.

I agree, it doesn't seem right to pin it all on him since he has been so successful in the past with a non-favorable situation. However, I know the Texans o-line has had injuries but in the one game I watched (NE), they seemed to do a decent job for Miller, but he seemed hesitant to hit the hole and went down incredibly easily. I was thinking possibly the big workload is taking a tole on his body.

I know Duane Brown just came back yesterday, so hopefully that'll help open up some clearer holes for Miller to hit. Either way, week 6 is a dream matchup for him. If he can't produce and score a TD against Indy, I will be very concerned going forward.

Miller has 101 carries and 14 catches. He's broken only seven rush tackles and two pass tackles. His broken tackle rate is one of the worst in the league at 7.8%. By subtracting running back yards from adjusted line yards, one can get an idea about the extra yards per play a team's runners are picking up. Houston's adjusted line yards are 3.83 and rushing yards are 3.78. At -0.05, they are 25th in the NFL, and Miller has 75.3% of the team's carries. The Texans are also towards the bottom in the NFL in second field and open field yards. No matter where you look, the offensive line or the running back position, the Texans have struggled on the ground.

http://www.battleredblog.com/2016/10/14/13279548/the-film-room-why-the-texans-offense-is-bad

• Like 3

I just unloaded Miller and Maclin for ODB. I have Yeldon and RMathews as my other RBs (start 1RB/2WR and 2 flex in 14 team league).

Houston's offense is in shambles. The OL is below average, and Osweiler is frankly terrible - terrible mechanics, terrible accuracy, terrible distance control. It's no wonder that Miller is struggling (even if some fault is his). With Osweiler at QB, I don't see how Miller can have any measure of success that lives up to 1/2 round selection, let alone show any significant marginal value over the likes of Yeldon, Mathews, Gore, or any other somewhat productive RB in a time share on a decent offense.

23 minutes ago, Grahamburn said:

I think you'll regret this one after today. 

As a Miller owner I'm not optimistic that they even know how to use the guy properly, beyond the sucky OL and suckage of Osweiler. This is a guy that should be getting 6-10 targets out of the backfield like Bell does.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Baloney Sandwich said:

If this #### doesn't flip the switch today I don't see it happening this season

Yep, everything should be in his favor tonight. Great matchup, no Fuller which leads to Vontae being on Hopkins, which should have them relying on Miller more, gameflow should be good. I would be very disappointed if he doesn't put up at least 15 points tonight.

Well it was vs. Indy, but if the line can create this guy even a little bit of a hole big plays are there.  He dominated the 2nd half.  I remember loving his 2nd half schedule, so let's hope this is the start of something good.  It was about time.  A lot of it will still depend on Osweiler.  He has to keep drives alive.  But at least the line created a few holes inside and outside.

52 minutes ago, zftcg said:

I'm a little nervous for next week, less because DEN's run D is so good as because I think they're going to destroy Osweiler and the offense will never get in gear. Minnesota game redux.

Yea, next week should be another bad week but after that it is pretty much smooth sailing the rest of the way with the exception of GB.

On 10/16/2016 at 8:16 AM, Grahamburn said:

I think you'll regret this one after today. 

This will sound like hindsight but barring season-ending injury I cannot see any situation where that's a regrettable move.  Maclin could have gone for 30 and OBJ 6 yesterday and I would still take the OBJ side of the trade every day every format. 

18 minutes ago, MattFancy said:

So fell asleep early last night. How did the injury look?

He took a hit directly to the shoulder on the sideline after a long run. Could have stepped out, in hindsight should have. He was in and out the rest of the game. Didn't SEEM serious, but sometimes I think that and a guy goes on IR. Since I have Miller on a team, prepare for the worst.

• Like 1

Injury didn't look bad, but I wish he had just stepped out of bounds. Honestly, I was fine with them limiting his carries a bit and keeping him fresh for next week since they have a shorter week and a good matchup against the Lions. Blue also had a crucial fumble, so I doubt they'll be using him much going forward.