What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lamar Miller, 2016, Infinity and beyond (1 Viewer)

First week I'm not playing him. Helps to have Booker to put in there but I think they take it easy on him with the bye coming.

I'm guessing it's an every other series situation like the 2nd half last week. I'm torn , as we all are. I'm between he and Riddick in ppr and slightly leaning Miller. 

My only alternatives in a PPE are Patterson, Thielen, Meredith, or Russell Shepard. I'm also starting Tyrell Williams in a bad matchup against DEN over those options.

Lamar Miller - RB - Texans

Texans RBs coach Charles London said Lamar Miller (shoulder) "can definitely be a workhorse."
Houston has certainly used him that way through eight games, but he struggled with efficiency at times and picked up a shoulder injury against Denver Week 7. It is good to hear the Texans are still dedicated to Miller as the workhorse, and he should repay their faith against a very soft run schedule the rest of the way. Nearing 100 percent coming out of the bye, Miller is a solid RB1 this week against the Jaguars.

Source: Houston Chronicle
Nov 10 - 9:51 AM

Just traded for Lamar, frustrating weekend to say the least.  tackled at the 1 after a 50 yard run and then weak workload.

Do we think this is really going to be a potential 3 headed monster now with Blue and Hunt in the mix? I know Lamar left for a bit and they were looking at his ankle.....

Can't imagine them splitting carries between the 3 of them. They may limit Miller's touches a bit going forward because of his shoulder, but I think he will still be good for at least 15-20 touches the rest of the way, unless the game turns into a blowout.

"He can definitely be a workhorse," Texans running backs coach Charles London said. "We still want to monitor his carries at times. He's done everything we've asked him to do. He's relatively fresh.

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-assistant-on-Lamar-Miller-He-can-10604553.php

This article was from last week. Sounds like they plan on continuing to use him pretty heavily, unless he gets hurt.

Cowboysfan8 said:
Gurley at 1.10 and Lamar at 2.3 seemed like a steal when I walked out of my draft

:(
Good players on craptastic teams. Best to avoid at all costs. I'm stuck with Miller in dynasty.

@ChrisWesseling

Lamar Miller is averaging more yards per rush attempt (4.65) than Osweiler averages per pass attempt (4.29) over the past 3 weeks. #Texans
Sad in many ways. Miller gets a lot of crap for his down season, but he's still averaging a solid 4.3 YPC for the season.

A simple way to improve Osweiler's YPA is throw the ball to Miller in the flat - just don't understand why Miller isn't used in the passing game at all. He's an excellent receiver and seems clear that it's a good way to get Miller in space and move the chains.

Sad in many ways. Miller gets a lot of crap for his down season, but he's still averaging a solid 4.3 YPC for the season.

A simple way to improve Osweiler's YPA is throw the ball to Miller in the flat - just don't understand why Miller isn't used in the passing game at all. He's an excellent receiver and seems clear that it's a good way to get Miller in space and move the chains.
I was looking at Miller's stats and thinking the same thing. He has been criminally underutilized in the passing game. Not sure why they don't throw more screens and check downs to him and let him do work.

His QB has really limited his upside this season (and that OL is not so hot). Just a horrible passing offense. Makes it easy to key in on him. Yet despite that he still gives you yards. Not scoring TD's and the lack of receptions (that is the most puzzling thing with Lamar's lack of them this season as he is deadly in space) has really capped his upside so far.

He is a soild, explosive player on a crappy team. He was better in Miami.....incredibly. I thought for sure he would have a career year in Houston being the clear cut workhorse. Still holding him in dynasty and while not giving me RB1 numbers....I expect a few huge games before the season is over. Hopefully at the right times.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at Miller's stats and thinking the same thing. He has been criminally underutilized in the passing game. Not sure why they don't throw more screens and check downs to him and let him do work.
Yep, makes no sense why they don't use him more in the passing game, especially considering how much Osweiler has been struggling. They seem to love throwing to their garbage TE's instead. Playcalling is definitely questionable for the Texans. I know Osweiler isn't good, but there's no way that offense should be as bad as it has been.

The Monday night game could be a major issue if he's a game time decision.  I have seen no word as of yet regarding his status.  Are the rest of you owners picking up Blue to hedge your bets?  Or Hunt?  Or just saying **** it and making other plans?

The Monday night game could be a major issue if he's a game time decision.  I have seen no word as of yet regarding his status.  Are the rest of you owners picking up Blue to hedge your bets?  Or Hunt?  Or just saying **** it and making other plans?
He practiced today. I would be pretty shocked if he doesn't play on MNF. Also, FWIW, Blue did not practice today.

He practiced today. I would be pretty shocked if he doesn't play on MNF. Also, FWIW, Blue did not practice today.
Thanks!  Haven't seen the practice reports yet.  The matchup is actually decent if he gets the volume, but it seems like anything could happen.

Thanks!  Haven't seen the practice reports yet.  The matchup is actually decent if he gets the volume, but it seems like anything could happen.
Yea, hopefully they'll give him close to the volume he was getting at the beginning of the year. The Raiders are probably going to score a bit, so the Texans will need to be able to keep up. If they're smart, they will start to use Miller in the passing game and get him in open space. This game may force them to do that if the Raiders are scoring a lot. Or they could just not use him at all in the passing game like they have been so far this season. You're definitely right that anything could happen here. He could blow up and have a huge game or they can get blown out and Miller might only see 10 or so touches.

Solid game from Miller last night. Sucks that he got knocked out at the 1 yard line for the 2nd straight week. Would have been a nice 20+ point performance.

I still think the lack of creativity from the Texans offense is holding Miller back a good amount. There was only 1 screen to him all game and they just pounded him up the middle on almost all of his carries instead of getting him outside in space. It also doesn't help that Osweiller always has his eyes down field and never looks to his RB as a check down. Loves using his TE's instead.

So did he really lose 11 receiving yards on that last play of the game? That kind of sucks.
Not receiving yards...offensive fumble recovery yards.

But many leagues score those, in order to capture the occasional "offensive FR TD."

Check your league's scoring system.

Not receiving yards...offensive fumble recovery yards.

But many leagues score those, in order to capture the occasional "offensive FR TD."

Check your league's scoring system.
Yahoo listed it as -11 receiving yards. He went from 7 to -4. Couldn't have counted as a fumble since it was lateraled. From what I remember, on those plays the initial receiver is credited with a catch, and everyone who receives a lateral gets receiving yards without a reception. Which I think means it sticks.

Yahoo listed it as -11 receiving yards. He went from 7 to -4. Couldn't have counted as a fumble since it was lateraled. From what I remember, on those plays the initial receiver is credited with a catch, and everyone who receives a lateral gets receiving yards without a reception. Which I think means it sticks.
You are correct...I was watching it and thought one of those transitions was a fumble, but that would be the illegal pass, and Miller had already had his lateral by then.  I stand corrected.

So what are people thinking of Miller this week? I own him in two leagues; in one, the choice is between Miller and Fat Rob, and in another, I have to bench one of Miller, Ajayi or Howard.

Arguments against him are the rib injury, Osweiler dragging the whole offense down, playing on the road, Osweiler again, his poor performance over the past few weeks, potential negative game script (Luck and Hilton are going to feast with Joseph out), and Osweiler one more time.

In his favor is the match-up, and what he did to Indy in their last meeting. Still, I'm always wary of assuming the second game against a divisional rival will play out the same way as the first one. Seems like that only rarely happens.

As of right now, I'm planning on starting him in both leagues (over Ajayi in the latter), but I can't shake this feeling that it has more to do with the sunk cost fallacy that makes you feel like you have to keep starting your first-round pick. If he were waiver-wire trash, would I still be sticking with him after the last few weeks?

In my 12 man PPR I"m starting him because he's far superior to any alternatives. In my 10 man PPR I'm debating benching him for Landry. I just don't know if I can trust him. I see an 11 for 31 game with no TD's and maybe only 1 or 2 catches for minimal yards. I don't know, he just seems soft this year. 

Look what he's done since the Indy game (Indy is 1st game listed)

Ind

@Den

Det

BYE

-

-

-

-

@Jax

@Oak

SD

@GB

Yes the 29 was great. But 6 and 10 the last 2 weeks? Granted the 6 was at GB (tough matchup, game flow). But the 10 was at home vs SD. 

Concerned L Miller owner after Ware had a very pedestrian game last night. Bumping basically to hear any new health news / concerns. Feel like his RB #1 status coming into the season has sunken to a low ceiling RB #2 now? But then again, not a whole lot of other options. In fact, with Blount in the flex my other option is T Coleman. Crazy consideration, but it's not out of the question.

• Smile
Reactions: SCT
Granted the 6 was at GB (tough matchup, game flow). But the 10 was at home vs SD. 
GB has a terrible rushing defense. Before the Houston game, they had given up the 2nd most rushing yards/game within the previous 5 weeks across the NFL. 

I'd be very concerned he wasn't able to get it going vs GB. That game script wasn't out of control either. 

Concerned L Miller owner after Ware had a very pedestrian game last night. Bumping basically to hear any new health news / concerns. Feel like his RB #1 status coming into the season has sunken to a low ceiling RB #2 now? But then again, not a whole lot of other options. In fact, with Blount in the flex my other option is T Coleman. Crazy consideration, but it's not out of the question.
Same.  I have him in now, but could go with Moncrief (I have Luck stack) or Marshall (yuk).

Miller has disappointed in a major way, but it's not all his fault.  QB and OL play have been severely lacking this season....

That being said, the trust factor is gone and Miller will be on the bench the rest of the year for me in favor of Freeman and Rawls barring an injury to either.

I have had this guy on my team since rookie year and I am done officially...he's a bum.  It's not the carries, it's not the team...it's him.

I have had this guy on my team since rookie year and I am done officially...he's a bum.  It's not the carries, it's not the team...it's him.
I'm rapidly approaching that as well. What a ####boy. Runs like a ####, now the plan is to use him like a ####.

I was kind of shocked how high FBG was on him all last year.   I don't know if he ever fell out of the top 5 or 6 weekly starts.  He had some good games, but the lack of receptions and rec yards in a PPR was painful.  Not a very fun guy to own.

O'Brien can say that but the game will dictate what he does. Until he fixes the QB and oline he's kinda stuck. I think Miller would be fine if they figure out the QB.

A guy (killface) above just called a guy who finished RB16 last year and RB5 the year before a bum and probably wants us to take his opinion on football players seriously.
That is ridiculous and absurd. You should be embarrassed that you would have such and outlandish opinion.

A guy (killface) above just called a guy who finished RB16 last year and RB5 the year before a bum and probably wants us to take his opinion on football players seriously.
That is ridiculous and absurd. You should be embarrassed that you would have such and outlandish opinion.
You clearly spend a ton of time of losing because if you drafted miller last year anywhere near where he was ranked you may as well have drafted nobody.  What you failed to mention is rb 16 put him in the same category as Bilal Powell and Tevin Coleman and Terrance West.  Guys that basically went undrafted

Nice response though...

Some people can't see the forest from the trees. From 2014-2016, only Murray, McCoy Bell and Gore have more rushing yards, and Miller has several more TDs than Gore. 

Even just last year, the guys who drafted Miller probably feel a lot better than the guys who drafted Gurley or Peterson. 

I won one league where Miller was my 2nd round pick, and Gurley was my 1st. Trust me, Miller wasn't elite, but he at least pulled his weight.

travdogg said:
Some people can't see the forest from the trees. From 2014-2016, only Murray, McCoy Bell and Gore have more rushing yards, and Miller has several more TDs than Gore. 

Even just last year, the guys who drafted Miller probably feel a lot better than the guys who drafted Gurley or Peterson. 

I won one league where Miller was my 2nd round pick, and Gurley was my 1st. Trust me, Miller wasn't elite, but he at least pulled his weight.
He wasn't elite at all after being ADP9 and RB4 in 2016.  Your post makes no sense.  Murray had one terrible year in that pack.  McCoy as well. Bell has missed a ton of time and Gore generally has an ADP around 78.  

If your point is that miller is as valuable as frank gore than i agree

Bottom line is his season was a huge disappointment. Not all on him because the coaching staff is stupid. They demoted the OC after week 3 and still wouldn't throw to Miller. That's on O'Brien since he was calling the plays after that. I think he's dumb. He looks dumb.

He wasn't elite at all after being ADP9 and RB4 in 2016.  Your post makes no sense.  Murray had one terrible year in that pack.  McCoy as well. Bell has missed a ton of time and Gore generally has an ADP around 78.  

If your point is that miller is as valuable as frank gore than i agree
You said you'd had him since his rookie year, and called him a bum. I was saying over the last 3 years that he was only out rushed by 4 guys. By your logic almost everyone sucks.

You said you'd had him since his rookie year, and called him a bum. I was saying over the last 3 years that he was only out rushed by 4 guys. By your logic almost everyone sucks.
This is a fantasy football board however...how did he perform fantasy wise over the last 3 years?  And you have to remember as an owner he would give you terrible game after terrible game and then have 180 and 3tds.  From a fantasy perspective that is a disaster

In 2015 for example he had 10 games with under 50 yards rushing.  

In 2016 he was 10th in rushing stats

In 2015 he was 18th in rushing stats

In 2014 he was 11th in rushing stats

Users who are viewing this thread