What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Giovani Bernard, TB (1 Viewer)

Check out one of my drafts:

1. (12) A.J. Green (Cin - WR) 2. (13) Giovani Bernard (Cin - RB) 3. (36) Toby Gerhart (Jax - RB) 4. (37) Andre Johnson (Hou - WR) 5. (60) Fred Jackson (Buf - RB) 6. (61) Maurice Jones-Drew (Oak - RB) 7. (84) Russell Wilson (Sea - QB) 8. (85) Keenan Allen (SD - WR) 9. (108) Brandin Cooks (NO - WR) 10. (109) Heath Miller (Pit - TE) 11. (132) Travis Kelce (KC - TE) 12. (133) Ryan Tannehill (Mia - QB) 13. (156) Lance Dunbar (Dal - RB) 14. (157) Arizona (Ari - DEF) 15. (180) Blair Walsh (Min - K) Gio, Gerhart, FJax, MJD and Lance Dunbar were the RB's I drafted. Still somehow in the semifinals though. Luckily I traded for Hill the week before Gio got hurt.

The worst part of Gio is me trading for him that same week in my dynasty league right before the deadline. I wasn't super high on him, but all I had to give up was Christine Michael and 2.01 and thought that was too good of a deal to pass up.

Rotoworld:

Giovani Bernard rushed three times for six yards in the Bengals' Wild Card loss, adding eight receptions for 46 yards.

As has been the case every week since Bernard returned from his hip injury, he was utilized as Jeremy Hill's change-of-pace back, with the Bengals never bothering to establish him between the tackles. Bernard was Andy Dalton's safety valve. Although OC Hue Jackson could be moving on, COP duties are what Gio should claim in 2015. The owner of a career 4.1 YPC, he is not a tough runner, but one capable of reeling off big plays if he gets into space. Bernard's dynasty future is that of an RB2/FLEX who can't be counted on for touchdowns.

Jan 4 - 4:47 PM

Rotoworld:

Giovani Bernard rushed three times for six yards in the Bengals' Wild Card loss, adding eight receptions for 46 yards.

As has been the case every week since Bernard returned from his hip injury, he was utilized as Jeremy Hill's change-of-pace back, with the Bengals never bothering to establish him between the tackles. Bernard was Andy Dalton's safety valve. Although OC Hue Jackson could be moving on, COP duties are what Gio should claim in 2015. The owner of a career 4.1 YPC, he is not a tough runner, but one capable of reeling off big plays if he gets into space. Bernard's dynasty future is that of an RB2/FLEX who can't be counted on for touchdowns.

Jan 4 - 4:47 PM
Or going to Detroit in a couple years.

And because of their roles, Hill's dynasty future is that of a high RB2 who can be counted on for touchdowns.

IOW, I expect their touches to be more evenly distributed next year once Bernard returns to health.

Gio = Sproles...great on the dumpoffs and you need to get him in space. I think Hill is a much better every down back. The team didn't miss a beat when Gio was hurt...never a good sign.

And because of their roles, Hill's dynasty future is that of a high RB2 who can be counted on for touchdowns.

IOW, I expect their touches to be more evenly distributed next year once Bernard returns to health.
I wouldn't bet on that.

Gio is going to take the "Sproles role" next year, while Hill serves as the primary RB. Jeremy Hill rushed for more yards in the 2nd half of the season than any RB in the league. More than DeMarco, Jamaal, LeVeon or any other RB for that matter.

Hue and Marvin were just very slow in recognizing what the roles should be, though to be fair they needed to wait until Hill absorbed the finer nuances of the position. But had they installed Hill as the primary RB from the beginning, now you're talking about Jeremy Hill as a 1400-1500 yard rusher.

Gio's no more than a mid-level RB2 / Flex going forward as long as he stays in Cinci. .

But that's my point. When Sproles started playing the "Sproles role" with Tomlinson, it really cut into LT's numbers. The Saints' situation isn't really comparable since there wasn't an LT type back there during that time. I'm not sure what to make of the Philly situation this year - that was weird.

All I'm saying is that either of the duo is going to be worth a low end RB1/high end RB2. The value of one over the other will be determined by what type of league you're playing in.

What I don't really buy into is the idea that there even is such a thing as a "Sproles role". If by that you mean a guy that puts up ridiculous yards/catch numbers but average TD numbers, count me in.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is along the lines of what I'm saying.

[SIZE=11.8181819915771px]Jeremy Hill played just 21 snaps in the Bengals' Wild Card Round loss to the Colts, while Giovani Bernard played 41.[/SIZE]

This was the product of game flow and OC Hue Jackson's disappointing abandonment of his run game after the first quarter. Jackson also disappointed in 2014 from the standpoint that he was unable to get Hill and Gio on the field together. One concern on Hill's 2015 outlook will be Gio's presence in passing situations. It could render Hill a bit game-flow dependent.

This is along the lines of what I'm saying.

[SIZE=11.8181819915771px]Jeremy Hill played just 21 snaps in the Bengals' Wild Card Round loss to the Colts, while Giovani Bernard played 41.[/SIZE]

This was the product of game flow and OC Hue Jackson's disappointing abandonment of his run game after the first quarter. Jackson also disappointed in 2014 from the standpoint that he was unable to get Hill and Gio on the field together. One concern on Hill's 2015 outlook will be Gio's presence in passing situations. It could render Hill a bit game-flow dependent.
that's actually fairly similar to the issues you had in new england trying to decipher the vereen/ridley situation.

I'm a hill guy, but gio is definitely a tougher weed to stamp out than I had hoped.

also, maybe stamping on the weed doesn't work so great.

Rotoworld:

Rotoworld:

Jeremy Hill - RB - Bengals

Bengals.com suggests Jeremy Hill will handle 15-20 touches per game in 2015, while Gio Bernard will handle 8-11.

Beat writer Geoff Hobson is "going to write in" Bernard for 60 catches as "the change-of-pace guy," while Hill should keep the feature back role. Hill was one of the premier value picks in 2014 fantasy drafts, but it's fair to wonder if he'll be a bit overvalued in 2015. He won't be a three-down back. We've seen early mocks and MFL10s where Hill goes in the first round.

Source: bengals.com

Feb 8 - 10:30 AM

Rotoworld:

Giovani Bernard - RB - Bengals

Giovani Bernard improved his YPC average to 4.7 and compiled 125 yards on 15 catches in the Bengals' final three games.

He became far more effective when utilized as a supporting-cast member behind Jeremy Hill after struggling as the Bengals' early-season feature back. The Cincinnati Enquirer writes that the Bengals envision Gio as an "explosive, multi-dimensional player" who will fill a "complementary" role. In 2015, expect Bernard to be the Bengals' passing-down back. He'll still be on the early-round radar in points-per-reception fantasy leagues.

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer

Feb 8 - 10:23 AM

So basically he's another Shane Vereen. Yet another muddled NFL backfield. Go WR and TE early and often fellas. RBs are a dime a dozen.

Yep. I was offered Gio Bernard for my 1.06 pick and I passed. I own Hill but I don't want two halves of a whole. I want starters with backups. The only way either becomes a stud is if the other gets hurt. I'd pay a 2nd rounder for Gio but not a 1st.

I'm going with BBW (big bodied wideouts) as a general rule.

sounds like a recipe for a fantasy headache....the only way I see any value is if one guy gets hurt, the owner of the other will have a stud back...not exactly a sound strategy.

Rotoworld:

Giovani Bernard - RB - Bengals

Giovani Bernard rushed four times for five yards in the Bengals' preseason opener.

Bernard did not see a snap while Andy Dalton was on the field. Bernard did work as the first-team punt returner, which may point to his lack of a clear role in the offense. Clearly behind Jeremy Hill in the pecking order, Bernard has little chance to repeat the 16 touches a game he saw last season.

Aug 14 - 8:54 PM

Oops. Looks like those "fantasy headache" predictions were premature. Jeremy Hill is the back to own in that offense. Period.

Oops. Looks like those "fantasy headache" predictions were premature. Jeremy Hill is the back to own in that offense. Period.
It will depends on the flow of the game and if they get in the red zones. Periods.
That is not what I gathered from the post above. No contingencies. Gio owners just have to come to terms. Hill is the alpha and omega in that offense. Gio is the breather back.

It will depends on the flow of the game and if they get in the red zones. Periods.
That is not what I gathered from the post above. No contingencies. Gio owners just have to come to terms. Hill is the alpha and omega in that offense. Gio is the breather back.
They should just trade him to the Cowboys.

Looks like he's the starter
About time the coaching staff woke up. Now they just need to use him correctly. He's not an I formation, run behind a FB, type guy. You spread out the D and let him go to work in running and in the passing game. Bring that Hill bum in on 3rd and one and hope he doesn't fumble.

Giovani Bernard leads list of top 10 'satellite' backs

1. Giovani Bernard, Bengals Carlos Hyde was unstoppable in Week 1. Matt Jones and Adrian Peterson were impressive in Week 2. No back has put together a better two-game start than Bernard, however. Per Pro Football Focus, Bernard is leading all runners in yards after contact per attempt and is second in "Elusive Rating." That's not even counting his receiving ability, which is his speciality. Andy Dalton has an embarrassment of riches on offense.

Looks like he's the starter
Hill was benched in the second half for 2 fumbles against SD Sunday.There was an unfortunate blurb in the Hill thread (you might be familiar with it :) ), in which a writer mixed in amongst some factual material and quotes speculation that Hill had lost his job and Bernard would start next Sunday, without identifying it as speculation. That doesn't appear to have come from any of the coaches or players (maybe there was confusion over the word *BENCHED*). Not only that, quotes that have come from the coaches since than have said things like Hill is fine, they have put the game behind them, etc.

It is possible Hill's role could change, but actual quotes from the team don't say or even imply that, and point more towards status quo. As far as I can tell (and nobody has shown anything to the contrary), the ruckus and commotion caused by the blurb was due to unidentified speculation that wasn't sourced from the team.

Bernard is playing well, with a 6.6 Y/C average in two games. Prior to that, he had a 4.1 average in 2013 and 4.0 in 2014, in about 29 games combined (missed 3 last year). Some suggest he was impacted by injury beyond the actual missed games last season, but if so, it isn't obvious why his Y/C average would be so close between the two years, basically identical (or for that matter, between the pre-injury first part, and post-injury second part of 2014*)?

* 2014 pre/post-injury Y/C average breakdown, by game

1 - 3.43

2 - 3.33

3 - 3.36

4 - 4.77

5 - 7.61

6 - 2.43

7 - 2.81

Misses games 8-10

11 - 2.65

12 - 4.90

13 - 2.83

14 - 5.27

15 - 4.50

16 - 2.67

First 7 games - 109 carries, 446 yards, 4.09 Y/C

Last 6 games - 59 carries, 234 yards, 3.97 Y/C

There is a difference, but pretty negligible at less than a tenth of a yard. On his post injury 59 carries, it would only have added about 5 yards?

Bengals Week 3 Mailbag: Hill vs Gio, meaning of a win, bars to watch the game

Good question, and a question that a lot of Bengals fans (and Jeremy Hill fantasy owners) have this week. Hue Jackson said in training camp that who is on the field for the first snap doesn't matter and I tend to believe him. While that guy was Hill in Weeks 1 and 2, I think there is a 50/50 chance that guy is Giovani Bernard this week for two reasons:

1. Hill has to earn back the trust of the coaches and prove he can hold onto the football.
  2. Bernard has been the more effective runner thus far in 2015 (Bernard: 186 yards and 6.6 YPC; Hill: 102 yards and 3.5 YPC).
Hill now has 7 fumbles in 249 carries as a pro and no matter how good you are, if you cannot hold onto the football, that is a problem and coaches will lose trust. The coaches and players have been very supportive of Hill publicly this week and have said they still trust him and I believe they will get him out there early and often in order to get him over the mental aspect of the fumbling. However, because of the fumbles and Bernard's success, I expect the carries on Sunday to be more of a 50/50 split as opposed to the 70/30 split we saw in Oakland Week 1.

Good question, and a question that a lot of Bengals fans (and Jeremy Hill fantasy owners) have this week. Hue Jackson said in training camp that who is on the field for the first snap doesn't matter and I tend to believe him. While that guy was Hill in Weeks 1 and 2, I think there is a 50/50 chance that guy is Giovani Bernard this week for two reasons:

• Hill has to earn back the trust of the coaches and prove he can hold onto the football.
  • Bernard has been the more effective runner thus far in 2015 (Bernard: 186 yards and 6.6 YPC; Hill: 102 yards and 3.5 YPC).
Hill now has 7 fumbles in 249 carries as a pro and no matter how good you are, if you cannot hold onto the football, that is a problem and coaches will lose trust. The coaches and players have been very supportive of Hill publicly this week and have said they still trust him and I believe they will get him out there early and often in order to get him over the mental aspect of the fumbling. However, because of the fumbles and Bernard's success, I expect the carries on Sunday to be more of a 50/50 split as opposed to the 70/30 split we saw in Oakland Week 1.
And when Gio starts getting bottled up, the pendulum will swing back to Hill....Gio will get his touches obviously, but wen cincy wants to pound the rock, it will be Hill. Gio is not that guy

• Hill has to earn back the trust of the coaches and prove he can hold onto the football.
  • Bernard has been the more effective runner thus far in 2015 (Bernard: 186 yards and 6.6 YPC; Hill: 102 yards and 3.5 YPC).
And when Gio starts getting bottled up, the pendulum will swing back to Hill....Gio will get his touches obviously, but wen cincy wants to pound the rock, it will be Hill. Gio is not that guy
When is this going to happen?

Is that guy the guy you want?

The way I see it Hill is a better match up for games where the Bengals are a favorite to win. When the Bengals are facing a difficult opponent or close in the score, they play Bernard more.

I see the fantasy experts community being slow to react to what has happened with the Bengals RB.

Week 3 expert consensus rankings standard

9 Jermey Hill

30 Giovani Bernard

Actual performance

12 Giovani Bernard

14 Jeremy Hill

Week 3 expert consensus rankings PPR

11 Jermey Hill

23 Giovani Bernard

Actual performance

9 Giovani Bernard

30 Jeremy Hill

I just traded hill and a Wr for DT and i kept Bernard. Overall I'm happy and i think bernard in ppr will be relevant all year unless injury.

When is this going to happen?

Is that guy the guy you want?

The way I see it Hill is a better match up for games where the Bengals are a favorite to win. When the Bengals are facing a difficult opponent or close in the score, they play Bernard more.

I see the fantasy experts community being slow to react to what has happened with the Bengals RB.

Week 3 expert consensus rankings standard

9 Jermey Hill

30 Giovani Bernard

Actual performance

12 Giovani Bernard

14 Jeremy Hill

Week 3 expert consensus rankings PPR

11 Jermey Hill

23 Giovani Bernard

Actual performance

9 Giovani Bernard

30 Jeremy Hill
Huh?.....how do u know their actual performance for week 3 already?......can I get ur fanduel picks?

The actual performance is over two weeks as week 3 hasn't been played yet.
Well, obviously those stats are going to favor Gio, considering Hill was benched in week two for pretty much half the game. I honestly can't understand the overreaction from week 2. Hill is going to be solid, and Gio is an interesting flex or RB2 in PPR. There is a much larger sample size showing that Gio can't solely carry the mail, and a relatively good sample size that Hill can.

I live out of the country and have never seen Gio Bernard play. I have seen commentary from some who don't think that he is built to be the primary ball carrier for a team. But MFL lists him as 5'9" and 205. if that is his true size, it is certainly similar in size to other rbs who are/have been starters.

Will he be able to sign with another team next year? If he can, does anyone think there is even a decent (say 50%) chance he could become a starter on a different team? Or is he destined to remain on the bottom half of a RBBC wherever he may find himself?

That is correct height and weight. He wont be a free agent untill 2017 though, so we will prob see one more year of him and Hill together unless one of them gets traded.

I live out of the country and have never seen Gio Bernard play. I have seen commentary from some who don't think that he is built to be the primary ball carrier for a team. But MFL lists him as 5'9" and 205. if that is his true size, it is certainly similar in size to other rbs who are/have been starters.

Will he be able to sign with another team next year? If he can, does anyone think there is even a decent (say 50%) chance he could become a starter on a different team? Or is he destined to remain on the bottom half of a RBBC wherever he may find himself?
Can you YouTube his highlights? Might give you an idea. This is interesting to me, do you watch much football where you are? How do you make fantasy decisions never watching the players, just research?

I wonder if SSD or someone with video editing capabilities could put together a package of Bernards plays from this season for folks like Phantom Knight who haven't seen him play?

I know when I was in the Army I didn't have time to watch players as much as I would have liked. So I learned how to adapt to this by reading a lot and watching players when I could. But mostly through reading about teams and players as well as reading about college players entering the league.

This is part of why I have tried to post some play by play observations of games I watched for folks who may not have rewind or other means to watch the games.

In my opinion the reason people think Bernard cannot be a featured RB is because there is a pretty common belief that to be a featured RB or a foundation RB as Greg Cosell likes to call it, that the player must be 6' 220lbs and be able to grit it out running between the tackles.

Because of this perception Bernard would be considered undersized. Despite the fact that he is the similar size as former featured RBs like Walter Payton and Emmitt Smith who in my opinion are the quintessential examples of a featured or foundation RB.

The other reason why Bernard is doubted as a featured RB is because he has always been in a time share as a pro. First he shared time with BJGE as a rookie, then he shared time with Hill last season and this season. The injury did have something to do with that last season as well as Hills fantastic play down the stretch. Hill fits the profile of what some people think is a featured RB better than Bernard does.

I disagree with this perspective but I recognize that this is what people think. I think Bernard could be a featured RB but that the Bengals have a 2 RB system and want to run their offense that way.

I wonder if SSD or someone with video editing capabilities could put together a package of Bernards plays from this season for folks like Phantom Knight who haven't seen him play?

I know when I was in the Army I didn't have time to watch players as much as I would have liked. So I learned how to adapt to this by reading a lot and watching players when I could. But mostly through reading about teams and players as well as reading about college players entering the league.

This is part of why I have tried to post some play by play observations of games I watched for folks who may not have rewind or other means to watch the games.

In my opinion the reason people think Bernard cannot be a featured RB is because there is a pretty common belief that to be a featured RB or a foundation RB as Greg Cosell likes to call it, that the player must be 6' 220lbs and be able to grit it out running between the tackles.

Because of this perception Bernard would be considered undersized. Despite the fact that he is the similar size as former featured RBs like Walter Payton and Emmitt Smith who in my opinion are the quintessential examples of a featured or foundation RB.

The other reason why Bernard is doubted as a featured RB is because he has always been in a time share as a pro. First he shared time with BJGE as a rookie, then he shared time with Hill last season and this season. The injury did have something to do with that last season as well as Hills fantastic play down the stretch. Hill fits the profile of what some people think is a featured RB better than Bernard does.

I disagree with this perspective but I recognize that this is what people think. I think Bernard could be a featured RB but that the Bengals have a 2 RB system and want to run their offense that way.
Personally, him not being a featured back has nothing to do with size for me. We've seen plenty of other guys who don't fit the mold of a bigger 6' 220 back be successful, Charles & CJ2K come to mind. It's simply that he doesn't run between the tackles well enough. Maybe some default to size on that, but to me it's more instincts, vision to quickly identify creases in tight spaces and pad level/leverage to run through that traffic. Charles looks like a WR running between the tackles but he does all these things at an elite level and thus, is tremendously seccessful.

Users who are viewing this thread