What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Giovani Bernard, TB (1 Viewer)

I have no data to back this up. I watched him Monday and he looked great. This is just my gut.

I’ve been playing fantasy long enough to feel like this has first round playoff bust written all over it.  Shiny new toy that you want to plug in and dominate based on opportunity and you get a dud.

Again, I’ve owned Gio in the past and know what he can do. Weeks 7-12 with limited touches cannot be ignored. There’s something to be said about getting more volume this week if Mixon doesn’t go, but for some reason it just feels like a bust play to me.
I think the shiny new toy is okay to play this week. He'll be inspired. Considering many options, plugging him into a RB #2 slot seems very doable this week.

Leaning Gio over Hogan @ flex. (RB's 1&2 Ingram and Kamara)
Totally makes sense here.

Similar position. Leaning Gio over Burkhead, Hogan, McKinnon and Goodwin. Burkhead’s recent GL work is tempting tho. 
I have Burkhead over Gio on this play. You cannot deny Burkhead's rise and the juicy match up to rack up points and TD's. Gio above those others though...

Would you guys play gio over perine?

Gio for some reason is still sitting on my ww.  I picked up buffalo early in the week to play over Pittsburgh but I'm not doing that with pederman starting.  Could drop buff for gio to play over perine but not sure it's worth the one week rental

Thoughts on Gio over Davis and Lewis?  He's actually on my wire and I'm panicking a bit over the AK debacle... 

Gio for some reason is still sitting on my ww.  I picked up buffalo early in the week to play over Pittsburgh but I'm not doing that with pederman starting.  Could drop buff for gio to play over perine but not sure it's worth the one week rental
Yes for me.

Tough call, IMO. I have to make it, too. Both backs are kind of last man standing for their respective teams. If I had to say now, I think it’s shaping up better for Gio as I think Cinci can handle Chi. Worry with Perine is Wash falling behind LAC. Tough to bet your playoff life on Gio when he’s really done nothing this season prior to last week, though  :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough call, IMO. I have to make it, too. Both backs are kind of last man standing for their respective teams. If I had to say now, I think it’s shaping up better for Gio as I think Cinci can handle Chi. Worry with Perine is Wash falling behind LAC. Tough to bet your playoff life on Gio when he’s really done nothing this season prior to last week, though  :unsure:
I could see both doing well but cinci being at home and playing the weaker team.  I made the move dropped Buffalo for gio.  Seems like a logical move to me

I mentioned this over in the Hunt thread, but as of now I'm playing Gio and Alfred Morris (in my two RB spots) and benching Hunt.  Wish I didn't even have to make a decision like this.  

As a Mixon owner, I was a little nervous early in week. I saw Gio on the WW, but decided to go another route picked up M Davis dropping Booker. The next day there sat Gio so I had to drop someone, and Doctson was the guy.

Playing Gio, a waiver wire pick up on Wed., as my RB #2 and optimistic about it.

need2know said:
I could see both doing well but cinci being at home and playing the weaker team.  I made the move dropped Buffalo for gio.  Seems like a logical move to me
Your decision makes sense to me. I am not sure what the status of Perine is? He was hurt in Washingtons last game.

Normally I would say Washington has the better offensive line, but their linemen have been so injured this year that this might be a wash.

In a vacuum I think Bernard is a better player than Perine as well. My only reservation in regards to this is that the Bengals haven't treated Bernard as a bell cow as much as I think he deserves to be. However with Hill and Mixon out, the RBBC options go away I think. Brian Hill does worry me a little bit given their RBBC history, but I think Bernard gets the majority of opportunities in this game.

I think Bernard is a better RB than the Bengals seem to.

Stealthycat said:
I wonder if they're auditioning him for a trade in the off-season now that they have Mixon ?
Seems unlikely.

Jeremy Hill is a free agent next season and the Bengals seem to like having two RBs to use. Bernard is signed long term and his contract not that expensive. The Bengals have other needs than RB so seems unlikely they would draft another one high again next season, but I wasn't expecting them to draft Mixon either, so who knows?

Still seems unlikely they would trade Bernard and then draft another RB high though.

There is a possibility of coaching change for the Bengals I think though, which could throw a wrench in the priorities of future plans.

need2know said:

Your decision makes sense to me. I am not sure what the status of Perine is? He was hurt in Washingtons last game.

Normally I would say Washington has the better offensive line, but their linemen have been so injured this year that this might be a wash.

In a vacuum I think Bernard is a better player than Perine as well. My only reservation in regards to this is that the Bengals haven't treated Bernard as a bell cow as much as I think he deserves to be. However with Hill and Mixon out, the RBBC options go away I think. Brian Hill does worry me a little bit given their RBBC history, but I think Bernard gets the majority of opportunities in this game.

I think Bernard is a better RB than the Bengals seem to.
Point of information - Perine was evaluated for a concussion in the Dallas game, cleared, came back in. He hasn’t been on the injury report since before Thanksgiving.

The reapective O-lines are trending in opposite directions. Washington mostly due to injuries, Bengals got healthy & have started to gel. Excellent work up front the last two weeks.

I own Mixon & Perine. On a bye so so didn’t make a move for Gio, but he looked great against the Steelers and is a great volume play. Chargers are very susceptible, only question mark for me would be game flow. I would have been OK starting Samje this week.

Point of information - Perine was evaluated for a concussion in the Dallas game, cleared, came back in. He hasn’t been on the injury report since before Thanksgiving.

The reapective O-lines are trending in opposite directions. Washington mostly due to injuries, Bengals got healthy & have started to gel. Excellent work up front the last two weeks.

I own Mixon & Perine. On a bye so so didn’t make a move for Gio, but he looked great against the Steelers and is a great volume play. Chargers are very susceptible, only question mark for me would be game flow. I would have been OK starting Samje this week.
Yeah like I said I think they are both strong plays

Thanks for the info as I wasn't really sure about Perines status. Glad to hear he is good to go.

Morgan Moses was injued in their last game and listed as questionable along with Trent Williams who has been playing through injury for a good chunk of the year.

I think the Chargers are a better defense against the run than the Bears are, but both are decent. The problem with the Bears is their offense likely struggling to stay on the field against the Bengals defense, although the Bengals are weak against the run, which may help the Bears offense sustain drives.

Overall I think Bernard has a bit better match up than Perine does though, as far as the defenses they are going against.

Chargers opp RBs: 

277-1311-6, 72-511-1, 300.2 FFPA 5th most

Bears opp RBs: 

296-1180-8, 63-411-1, 268.1 FFPA 21st

Similar results over last 5, for the last 3 LAC are 21st (improving), Bears 27th

Chargers opp RBs: 

277-1311-6, 72-511-1, 300.2 FFPA 5th most

Bears opp RBs: 

296-1180-8, 63-411-1, 268.1 FFPA 21st

Similar results over last 5, for the last 3 LAC are 21st (improving), Bears 27th
Huh. I am a bit surprised with the Chargers being as bad against the run as they have been this year. Last year they were the 10th overall in total rushing yards allowed and tied for 6th with Jacksonville in yards per carry allowed (3.8).

This year the Chargers are 31st overall in total rushing yards allowed and 1st in yards per carry allowed (4.8).

This is with the Chargers being 4th overall defense in total points allowed, 15th in total yards allowed and 5th overall in total passing yards allowed.

The Chargers have been a very good defense overall yet one of the worst defenses against the run. That is kind of weird and I didn't realize this.

The Bears on the other hand are an average to slightly above average defense pretty much across the board. More balanced and a better run defense, but not as good as the Chargers are against the pass.

I suppose this means that Washington may have more success running the ball than I expected, and maybe do well enough that Washington won't throw the ball as much as they usually do if the running game is working. That helps Perine.

The Bengals are 27th in total rushing yards allowed which should help the Bears and Jordan Howard to sustain drives and keep the Bengals off the field. Although overall the Bengals are a slightly above defense, similar to the Bears in that regard.

Of course Bernard is more of a threat as a receiver than Perine is and I still think he is a better play, I stand corrected in regards to the Chargers rushing defense, which looks like it has been a lot worse than I thought.

It still seems a bit strange to me. The Chargers have given up big rushing days (150+ yrds) to the Chiefs, Eagles, Giants, Bills while still winning two of those games.

The Chargers run defense has been better recently holding 4 of 6 of their opponents to under 100 rushing yards. The Bills and Jaguars were the teams who had success running the ball against them recently, the Patriots were close with 97 rushing yards.

The Bills game is the strangest one because the Chargers blew the Bills out in that game and Peterman threw 5 interceptions before he got hooked for Taylor. So I am guessing they were just letting the Bills run out the clock with prevent style defense as a part of that.

The Jaguars game makes sense because thats how they are built with good defense to support it in a close game. Otherwise the Chargers seem to have righted the ship against the run the last 6 weeks after a very shaky start.

I haven’t watched a lot of all 22s for the LAC or LAR but it’s an odd coincidence both have an above average defensive backfield - made better by a great pass rush - but not as good as you’d expect v. the run.

The Pats fit that m.o. as well. And if you follow their game scripts of late. It’s like they’re OK with it. You wanna run the ball the whole first half? Cool, good luck keeping up. Inevitably their opponents abandon the run in the 3rd-4th Q trying to catch up, and the defense is doing what they do best (playing tight & getting after the QB.)

I haven’t watched a lot of all 22s for the LAC or LAR but it’s an odd coincidence both have an above average defensive backfield - made better by a great pass rush - but not as good as you’d expect v. the run.

The Pats fit that m.o. as well. And if you follow their game scripts of late. It’s like they’re OK with it. You wanna run the ball the whole first half? Cool, good luck keeping up. Inevitably their opponents abandon the run in the 3rd-4th Q trying to catch up, and the defense is doing what they do best (playing tight & getting after the QB.)
This is kind of how the Vikings defense was playing in 2014 and 2015 before they started playing the run better.

The Chargers purposely play defense in a way where they willingly sacrifice run defense in favor of pass defense. They are playing dime defense on something like 80% of their defensive snaps.

Their talent level is good enough to defend the run better, but they are playing 6 DBs on most snaps rather than playing more LBs. 

It is also worth noting that their best LB against the run is Perryman, who missed the first several games. They have been better against the run since he returned.

i do not expect Perine to have a strong game. 

The Chargers purposely play defense in a way where they willingly sacrifice run defense in favor of pass defense. They are playing dime defense on something like 80% of their defensive snaps.

Their talent level is good enough to defend the run better, but they are playing 6 DBs on most snaps rather than playing more LBs. 

It is also worth noting that their best LB against the run is Perryman, who missed the first several games. They have been better against the run since he returned.

It seems like a good strategy for how the NFL offenses have been trending recently. Thanks for the insight.

Dime defense that often seems like too much though. The Chargers do have great corners, which makes some sense to play to that strength and get their best players on the field.

Lions play nickel 65% of the time - not sure on the dime, it’s a lot. Makes sense with the way every offense outside the Saints & Titans is setup.*

*ETA: Forgot Bears (still in the league)

I'm rolling with him over Dion lewis, Martin, McKinnon.  Banking on high rb2 numbers w a shot at a blowup based on volume and the Steelers game. 

Casually handcuffing Mixon before last Monday's game after leaving him unprotected all year up until that point might well be the move that saves my fantasy season.

Volume play today and game script proof, got a feeling a lot of us are trying to talk ourselves into it today with Mixon out. How are we feeling against the vikes? Thinking of sitting Evans for him in half ppr. 

Looks like anyone needing a rb badly should grab this guy if he's still on the ww. Probably going to start the next couple weeks with Mixon out.

Bernard performed well last season when Mixon was out.
I do wonder if that was a little bit of a guy with fresh legs late in the year against worn down defenses. I think Bernard will be a solid RB2, but I think what he did toward the end of last year is likely his absolute ceiling.

I do wonder if that was a little bit of a guy with fresh legs late in the year against worn down defenses. I think Bernard will be a solid RB2, but I think what he did toward the end of last year is likely his absolute ceiling.
I think Bernard is a very good RB so what he did when given the chance no surprise to me. I think Bernard is good enough to do that every game. He has had injuries and the Bengals have kept drafting other RB to split with him, but the Bengals have always done this. They draft offense early and because that there is always overlap of very good players.

I do think some of the factors you mention helped. I have heard from Bengals fans that the offensive line started to play less terrible later on in the season when Bernard played as a contributing factor for how well he performed.

It is possible that Bernard isn't cut out for a large workload sustainably over a full season, or that the coaches don't believe in him holding up as a workhorse for a full season, but he does well every time he has been given the opportunity.

Man....I’m torn on Bernard. I just don’t quite trust him. Think I’m rolling with Murray and Golloday over him in two standard leagues. It’s just gut feeling. 

Man....I’m torn on Bernard. I just don’t quite trust him. Think I’m rolling with Murray and Golloday over him in two standard leagues. It’s just gut feeling. 
I'm rolling with Gio this week. Some are cautious with Gio, while others are bullish. I like all three of these guys this week but would rank them Gio, Murray, and a strong Golladay. So, ya can't go wrong lol 

Bengals only have two running backs active for Week 4.

Those two are Giovani Bernard and rookie Mark Walton. It is the same story as last week when Bernard played 88 percent of the snaps and was the only running back to touch the ball. Perhaps Walton gets a few more opportunities this week, but Bernard is a solid RB1 as a workhorse in a great matchup.

Sep 30 - 11:37 AM

Users who are viewing this thread