What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charlotte, NC (1 Viewer)

jurb26

Footballguy
I just received a job offer in Charlotte, NC and will be moving within the next 3 weeks or so. Was hoping to find some insight from any FBGers who might be in the area.

A couple of bits of info. My job is based in Charlotte and for the first month I'll be provided corporate housing of some sort in that area. My wife will not be joining me here until late June as she finishes her job in PA and we sell the house there as well. Although my job is technically based in Charlotte, I am responsible for the entire state of NC in my coverage area. This is mostly split between Charlotte and Fayetteville, where there are offices I'd have to visit regularly. I'd expect about 35% of my time will be in Charlotte, 25% in Fayetteville, 15% in the various other portions of the state and 25% working from home. My wife can likely find a job anywhere in NC but is partial to the Greensboro area.

Anyone have thoughts on where I should look to live? I'm not very versed in the geography, varying housing cost or just overall perks to any particular locations of the state right now. Any help would be great!

Totally depends on what is important to you. Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to live in the Greensboro/High Point/WS area. What's wrong with living in the Charlotte area?

I live in Charlotte and love it. Do you have kids? What are your interests outside of work? Approx what range for housing cost?

I think you should move to the Fort Mill area of SC.....rumor has it a FBG has a nice house for sale :whistle:

In all seriousness anywhere in the state is kinda hard to mess up. However, if you move to CLT, I wouldn't live in Mecklenburg county simply from a financial standpoint. I'd either look in Union county, Cabarrus county or York County (South Carolina). Our taxes are basically HALF what they are in Mecklenburg county.. We have some real estate agents in the area on these boards...I think BnB is one. There is plenty here to support just about any lifestyle you choose to live.

Totally depends on what is important to you. Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to live in the Greensboro/High Point/WS area. What's wrong with living in the Charlotte area?
Well, my wife lived on the Greensboro area for a few years before we got married and she loved it there. She a,so has some friends there which helps. She also has a guaranteed job there whenever she wants it. That is a minor detail as she really won't have a problem finding something anywhere in the state though. As to your question about Charlotte, I'm not sure there is anything wrong with it. From what I've looked into it seems great. I was told to try to avoid southern Charlotte for some reason. I'm guessing the cost of living is highest in Charlotte vs. the other areas of the state minus the shore. Perhaps I'm wrong. I also have heard the Raleigh area is the hot spot. I'm thinking that is too far from Charlotte for me to do, about 3 hrs or so if I'm not mistaken. We'd like to be near a decent sized city, but not in it. We need some space. I'd love to be near some major sports, either Pro or college. It doesn't matter a great deal. We like outdoor activities, riding bikes, running, walking our dog, ect. I'd like to get into some rec sports leagues, flag football or basketball, ect.

Oh, we also love going to Farmers Market type places to buy locally grown foods. Would like to be somewhere there is a nice option for that.

Do you play golf? The Southern Pines/Pinehurst/Carthage area is nice and is close to Fayetteville and not too far from Charlotte. It's dead silent there, but the place is one of a kind if you like golf.

Do you play golf? The Southern Pines/Pinehurst/Carthage area is nice and is close to Fayetteville and not too far from Charlotte. It's dead silent there, but the place is one of a kind if you like golf.
I suck, but I play. I totally forgot about the awesome golf in NC! Should have listed that before.

I suck, but I play. I totally forgot about the awesome golf in NC! Should have listed that before.
That's actually one of the things Greensboro has going for it, imo, is a dirt cheap, all-world muni facility called Bryan Park.

Oh, we also love going to Farmers Market type places to buy locally grown foods. Would like to be somewhere there is a nice option for that.
There is actually a very large farmers market right near the airport. Going there in an hour or so actually. A lot of outdoor activities on the western side of town like the Whitewater Center and some smaller mountains to hike.I live in Mecklenberg Co. near uptown, but I'd never want to live in suburbs or small towns. If you do like those areas, there should be plenty that fit the bill around the city.

My wife and I lived in G'boro for several years right after she got out of school. We weren't that thrilled at first but it really grew on us. After living in Durham for many years we're now in the process of moving back.

That being said, if you're going to split your time primarily between Charlotte and Fayetteville then you should definitely check out Southern Pines as well as the Northwest suburbs of Charlotte.

But if I could pick anywhere to live in the state, it would be Asheville.

:goodposting:Absolutely. Sounds like OP has enough flexibility to pull that off.
I probably do.

Why Asheville? I've heard it's pricing there. Is that true?
Maybe a little. I just love the feel to that town. Great climate (especially in summer), lots of things to do (especially outdoors), great food, etc.

If only there were more jobs there.

While Asheville is cool, everyone wants to live there. Rents and housing prices are higher, wages are lower. It's a very liberal area and has a very small middle class. You don't want to travel from there to either of your work sites.

Sounds like you guys might have some cash. Lake Norman prices are very deflated right now. You can find a nice watefront home for under 1/2 mil right now. Not too many places you can live in a top 10 metro area based on size and be on the water for that price.Given your situation, I'd probably target south Iredell county. Great schools and good access to I40 or I85 via 150 to Kannapolis. North Meckenburg isn't bad and Davidson is really nice. That said, I'm not sure about the long term here. Most of our politicans are like to spend like liberals and cater to big business like republicans. Taxes are out of control and there's no end in sight. We keep building bigger teets for all the neighboring counties to suck off of.

You'll be moving right at peak rental season. Market is already tight...prices going up and inventory very low. Short term leases will be hard to find that time of year.

outside of Asheville, I'd be more interested in some other smaller moutainy towns - Boone/Blowing Rock and Marion are a couple areas I've had my eye on lately. Good distance from Fayetteville though.

I'm partial to southern Charlotte, but echo Commish that it's quite a bit cheaper across the state line in SC.

I know there are older threads on relocating to Charlotte, read up on some of these to get a feel.

I live in Greensboro, and I like it here. I can see why you wouldn't like it since it really isn't known for having a lot of pretentious people. Personally, I wouldn't want to live in Charlotte.

moleculo said:
outside of Asheville, I'd be more interested in some other smaller moutainy towns - Boone/Blowing Rock and Marion are a couple areas I've had my eye on lately. Good distance from Fayetteville though.

I'm partial to southern Charlotte, but echo Commish that it's quite a bit cheaper across the state line in SC.

I know there are older threads on relocating to Charlotte, read up on some of these to get a feel.
I live in Union County, not far from this Bronco fan and we love it. Not sure why you were told to avoid South Charlotte, unless that means Mecklenberg County as you mentiont the airport southwest of Charlotte. Honestly, I wasn't a big fan of North Charlotte when we looked at houses, everything seemed far more cramped up near Huntersville. We liked South Charlotte, which is where Commish, Moleculo and I live. Great schools for the most part, easy to find the best ones, relaxing and green and still really close to a ton of stuff. I love Charlotte, great city with a lot to offer, but still easy to find really nice houses not far out at all. I live outside of DC for 9 years before moving here.

I think you should move to the Fort Mill area of SC.....rumor has it a FBG has a nice house for sale :whistle: In all seriousness anywhere in the state is kinda hard to mess up. However, if you move to CLT, I wouldn't live in Mecklenburg county simply from a financial standpoint. I'd either look in Union county, Cabarrus county or York County (South Carolina). Our taxes are basically HALF what they are in Mecklenburg county.. We have some real estate agents in the area on these boards...I think BnB is one. There is plenty here to support just about any lifestyle you choose to live.
I'll 2nd Fort Mill.And where the heck are you going Commish?

I think you should move to the Fort Mill area of SC.....rumor has it a FBG has a nice house for sale :whistle: In all seriousness anywhere in the state is kinda hard to mess up. However, if you move to CLT, I wouldn't live in Mecklenburg county simply from a financial standpoint. I'd either look in Union county, Cabarrus county or York County (South Carolina). Our taxes are basically HALF what they are in Mecklenburg county.. We have some real estate agents in the area on these boards...I think BnB is one. There is plenty here to support just about any lifestyle you choose to live.
I don't have anything against Fort Mill, but the op will be adding major commute time by doing so when he travels east and north. Iredell and Cabarrus give him similar things to Fort Mill with better escape routes from traffic.

We've outgrown Fort Mill, so we are moving an exit south in the metropolis that is Rock Hill.

I don't have anything against Fort Mill, but the op will be adding major commute time by doing so when he travels east and north. Iredell and Cabarrus give him similar things to Fort Mill with better escape routes from traffic.
HaterDon't disagree, commute from here isn't pleasant, guess it depends on how much he has to drive and how much he can work from home.

We've outgrown Fort Mill, so we are moving an exit south in the metropolis that is Rock Hill.
Wow, sorry for your loss ;-)

No worries....my wife being the snobby professor she is. We got in on the snob like development off Celanese .If my son weren't doing so well at his school, my job now 100% work from home and my wife spending 90% of her time down there, we'd be happy right where we're at.

No worries....my wife being the snobby professor she is. We got in on the snob like development off Celanese .If my son weren't doing so well at his school, my job now 100% work from home and my wife spending 90% of her time down there, we'd be happy right where we're at.
You're almost closer to Columbia than Rock Hill.I used to work at the Tyco plant one exit further south.

All sorts of good stuff in here. BnB is a good resource around the Charlotte area. OC--last I knew you were down in that direction, and now you're in my stomping grounds?!! :D

I've been all over the state, and for a number of years commuted somewhere from the mountains to the coast almost daily it seems. You'll find that the major corridors travel really well especially now that most of the interstate highway work between Charlotte, Triad and Triangle areas are completed. If your wife likes the Greensboro area it's a clean trip to South Charlotte on the interstate and a straight shot toward Fayetteville down Hwy 421 though the interstates might work as well now too.

Your most direct route of course is in the south through Rockingham and the Southern Pines area, beautiful country but no large sized cities there. When I was commuting across the state I was based in Pittsboro, which was about 1-1/4 hours from Fayetteville and 2-1/4 from the Charlotte airport as I remember, but there was major road construction in Charlotte all through those years and I'd guess you could cut off a good 30 minutes now to southside.

I've been all over the state, and for a number of years commuted somewhere from the mountains to the coast almost daily it seems. You'll find that the major corridors travel really well especially now that most of the interstate highway work between Charlotte, Triad and Triangle areas are completed.
Major highway construction in the Triangle is starting later this year and will continue for at least 3 years. http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/11334970/

I've been all over the state, and for a number of years commuted somewhere from the mountains to the coast almost daily it seems. You'll find that the major corridors travel really well especially now that most of the interstate highway work between Charlotte, Triad and Triangle areas are completed.
Major highway construction in the Triangle is starting later this year and will continue for at least 3 years. http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/11334970/
Not an issue in Mecklenburg. We just stick with two lanes and let the surrounding counties merge their 3-4 lane interstate highways into our parking lots.

The small town feel of some areas in Union county has vaporized but you can still find it in many areas. I've lived in the Union county area for around 15 years and love it. Easy access to most of Charlotte, lower property tax rates, a hop skip and a jump to most anything Charlotte has to offer. I enjoy getting involved in children's sports as I have 3 boys. And there is something to be said for the youth sporting community in Union county. I've done quite a bit of coaching, but I've found it easier to socialize with, and relate with families in the union county youth sports community (as opposed to my experiences in meck county). It's very family friendly. I can go down to the local youth sports facilities any Saturday and run into friendly people I know and on most cases have had some family outing with.

I pass 2 produce stands daily in my commutes

There are hiking (more like walking trails) and mountain biking trails here and there throughout the Charlotte metro area.

UNCcharlotte has a basketball team, and now a football team, we have the Charlotte Checkers (semi-pro hockey), the Bobcats (some call that a pro basketball team), and Panthers locally.

The best hockey rec-league facility in the area in in union county (not sure if you're into hockey). Most of the other Rec league facilities I've had experiences with are in Charlotte but I'm sure you can find that in union county as well.

Another thing that has to be said about Union county, high school football, though not nationally recognized, is a pretty big deal in the area. Many families will go to Friday night games at there area schools. A small town feel in that regard.

The eat out and dinning options are not great in the area though. There are your typical chain style restaurants, a few bar & grill type places here and there, seems like hundreds of pizza places and Mexican food places.. Chinese etc.. Typical stuff... But for anything exotic, health nut type, fine dinning, or just outside of ordinary, you must go into Charlotte..

If you or your wife like horseback riding, there is plenty of that available in the area.

The traffic in and out of Charlotte is going to be troublesome from anywhere outside. Depending on what you consider to be bad traffic, Union county to and from Charlotte isn't too terrible. A typical drive to the airport from where I live is anywhere from 45min to an hour and 15 depending on traffic..

I have not seen much of Gaston County, but I hear mixed reviews. Must of the bad coming from In-town Charlotte folks that consider Gastonians hicks. But in other cases I've heard good things. That may be closer to and and easier commute for you to your work facilities in Charlotte. Not sure what counties they are in but Mount Holly, Belmont, and Steel Creek are all on that side of town as well (closer to the airport)

You're almost closer to Columbia than Rock Hill.I used to work at the Tyco plant one exit further south.
That's down around exit 75 I think....we're going to be up at exit 82 not quite as far south.

Charlotte has a terrible heroin problem among its white-collar community.

Heroin in Charlotte has become so easy to get that dealers deliver to the suburbs and run specials to attract their young, professional, upper-income customers.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/15/heroin-crackdown-oxycodone-hydrocodone/1963123/?sf12071655=1
LOL, did you read the article? It mentions this sweeping the nation and many other states. They just happened to interview someone who worked at CMC, along with some others in other states. If you think drug addictions and drugs aren't in every state/city in this country, you aren't paying attention.

It is pretty sad all around and I wish there were better answers for drug addictions, but to try and insinuate that heroin is Charlotte only problem is silly. Do you have some real estate to sell elsewhere?

The small town feel of some areas in Union county has vaporized but you can still find it in many areas. I've lived in the Union county area for around 15 years and love it. Easy access to most of Charlotte, lower property tax rates, a hop skip and a jump to most anything Charlotte has to offer. I enjoy getting involved in children's sports as I have 3 boys. And there is something to be said for the youth sporting community in Union county. I've done quite a bit of coaching, but I've found it easier to socialize with, and relate with families in the union county youth sports community (as opposed to my experiences in meck county). It's very family friendly. I can go down to the local youth sports facilities any Saturday and run into friendly people I know and on most cases have had some family outing with.

There are hiking (more like walking trails) and mountain biking trails here and there throughout the Charlotte metro area.

UNCcharlotte has a basketball team, and now a football team, we have the Charlotte Checkers (semi-pro hockey), the Bobcats (some call that a pro basketball team), and Panthers locally.

The best hockey rec-league facility in the area in in union county (not sure if you're into hockey). Most of the other Rec league facilities I've had experiences with are in Charlotte but I'm sure you can find that in union county as well.

Another thing that has to be said about Union county, high school football, though not nationally recognized, is a pretty big deal in the area. Many families will go to Friday night games at there area schools. A small town feel in that regard.

The eat out and dinning options are not great in the area though. There are your typical chain style restaurants, a few bar & grill type places here and there, seems like hundreds of pizza places and Mexican food places.. Chinese etc.. Typical stuff... But for anything exotic, health nut type, fine dinning, or just outside of ordinary, you must go into Charlotte..

If you or your wife like horseback riding, there is plenty of that available in the area.

The traffic in and out of Charlotte is going to be troublesome from anywhere outside. Depending on what you consider to be bad traffic, Union county to and from Charlotte isn't too terrible. A typical drive to the airport from where I live is anywhere from 45min to an hour and 15 depending on traffic..

I have not seen much of Gaston County, but I hear mixed reviews. Must of the bad coming from In-town Charlotte folks that consider Gastonians hicks. But in other cases I've heard good things. That may be closer to and and easier commute for you to your work facilities in Charlotte. Not sure what counties they are in but Mount Holly, Belmont, and Steel Creek are all on that side of town as well (closer to the airport)
Sounds like we are probably pretty close. It doesn't take me that long to get to the airport, but I tend to try and avoid traffic getting there based on the times I leave. I spend a ridiculous amount of time at the huge sports complex in Union county with at least 4-5 baseball games/practices every week coaching and helping coach.

:goodposting:Absolutely. Sounds like OP has enough flexibility to pull that off.
I probably do.

Why Asheville? I've heard it's pricing there. Is that true?
I think it is expensive, but there are a lot of other mountain towns nearby that should be cheaper.

I love Asheville because it is a great place to indulge a few of my favorite things: Food, beer, and hiking. The downtown area is really fun and the breweries are always great to visit. Lot's of great outdoor stuff to do nearby. My favorite weekend trips involve seeing a concert at the Orange Peel and stumbling back to the hotel after some time at the Thirsty Monk.

omally said:
Haven't spent much time in Greensboro, but haven't heard good things from those that have.
I've found the opposite to be true.
Ditto. I love the Greensboro area.
Good to know. Actually going up for a concert and staying a day or two in a couple of weeks. What should I check out?
What do you like to do? They revitalized downtown a few years ago, and it's nice down there with restaurants and bars, and there is also the baseball stadium downtown. There are a lot of theaters to see plays in the area, and a lot of golf courses and parks.

stbugs said:
Carolina Hustler said:

Sounds like we are probably pretty close. It doesn't take me that long to get to the airport, but I tend to try and avoid traffic getting there based on the times I leave. I spend a ridiculous amount of time at the huge sports complex in Union county with at least 4-5 baseball games/practices every week coaching and helping coach.
I'm at ITAA, where are you? Weddington?

stbugs said:
Carolina Hustler said:

Yep, outside of Winter, feels like I am there all the time.

stbugs said:
Charlotte has a terrible heroin problem among its white-collar community.

Heroin in Charlotte has become so easy to get that dealers deliver to the suburbs and run specials to attract their young, professional, upper-income customers.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/15/heroin-crackdown-oxycodone-hydrocodone/1963123/?sf12071655=1
LOL, did you read the article? It mentions this sweeping the nation and many other states. They just happened to interview someone who worked at CMC, along with some others in other states. If you think drug addictions and drugs aren't in every state/city in this country, you aren't paying attention.

It is pretty sad all around and I wish there were better answers for drug addictions, but to try and insinuate that heroin is Charlotte only problem is silly. Do you have some real estate to sell elsewhere?
Stbugs I agree. I had to throw the article in the mix since they did mention Charlotte. No major metropolitan area is immune. I am curious though to see how the Denver area handles the issue because in legalizing marijuana they promised the tax payers they would now take those officers focusing on marijuana issues and move them into the narcotics area and focus the attention of eradicating cocaine and meth use.

stbugs said:
Carolina Hustler said:

Yep, outside of Winter, feels like I am there all the time.
Great soccer program over there..

Ok, so we've decided to move to the Ballantyne area and rent for a while u til e learn the lay of the Lang and decide where to buy a house.

I think you should move to the Fort Mill area of SC.....rumor has it a FBG has a nice house for sale

In all seriousness anywhere in the state is kinda hard to mess up. However, if you move to CLT, I wouldn't live in Mecklenburg county simply from a financial standpoint. I'd either look in Union county, Cabarrus county or York County (South Carolina). Our taxes are basically HALF what they are in Mecklenburg county.. We have some real estate agents in the area on these boards...I think BnB is one. There is plenty here to support just about any lifestyle you choose to live.
It's pronounced Rock Vegas.

Users who are viewing this thread