What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charlotte, NC (1 Viewer)

so it seems like local real estate is picking back up. Two houses in my hood just sold for asking price, being on the market for a month or less. Right now, based on the sales price of these houses, i'm probably back to very close to my original purchase price in 2008.
Houses in my neighborhood have been moving fine for a while now, but there is no more building. Another house just went under contract, seems like it is only taking a month or two for most houses. Price wise, I am definitely still down from 2006, but I also sold my old one for more than it was worth and put a lot more options (which I wouldn't recoup) in knowing we wanted to stay here for a long, long time. I see no changes in those plans, I can't imagine moving before my kids are all off to college, which is another 12 years, so that would be 20 years in the house before even thinking of going elsewhere. Hopefully the mortgage will be gone by then as well, so who knows.
We've had 5 houses sell on our street in the last 5 months, including neighbors on both sides. No longer living next to a Heisman trophy winner, unfortunately.

LOL, Marvin is funny. I think there is a big difference between folks that have lived there a long time (like friends we have in Hunter Oaks) and recent move ins who are way more snooty. We love where we are and there are tons of really nice homes (nicer than Marvin Creek, we looked there as well), but it seems a little less pretentious. I think Jeff Gordon is building the ridiculous mansion south of us, so I think that would put us right between where Steve Smith and Gordon live, so hopefully that ain't too bad!

That said, the lady we know there is probably more of an exception, not sure. Its funny too because her parents came to games and looked like they rolled out of one of Commish's meth labs. People are funny.

WTF is wrong with this board? I quoted 3 posts and I get the images error and not a single image in play.
Yeah, we're new to Marvin Creek but not that snooty. Neighbors keep asking for playdates for our rising first grader this summer in the middle of the day, not knowing that my wife, GASP, actually works. It's pretty funny. Hell of a nice neighborhood though. The pool this weekend was great. Not a lot of unattractive women in these parts.

And if you really want to see a mansion take a trip down Bonds Grove Church Rd sometime and check out Deloris Jordan's place.

LOL, Marvin is funny. I think there is a big difference between folks that have lived there a long time (like friends we have in Hunter Oaks) and recent move ins who are way more snooty. We love where we are and there are tons of really nice homes (nicer than Marvin Creek, we looked there as well), but it seems a little less pretentious. I think Jeff Gordon is building the ridiculous mansion south of us, so I think that would put us right between where Steve Smith and Gordon live, so hopefully that ain't too bad! That said, the lady we know there is probably more of an exception, not sure. Its funny too because her parents came to games and looked like they rolled out of one of Commish's meth labs. People are funny. WTF is wrong with this board? I quoted 3 posts and I get the images error and not a single image in play.
Yeah, we're new to Marvin Creek but not that snooty. Neighbors keep asking for playdates for our rising first grader this summer in the middle of the day, not knowing that my wife, GASP, actually works. It's pretty funny. Hell of a nice neighborhood though. The pool this weekend was great. Not a lot of unattractive women in these parts.And if you really want to see a mansion take a trip down Bonds Grove Church Rd sometime and check out Deloris Jordan's place.
No worries, just having fun with you. I've just been unfortunate to meet some folks like that all from Marvin. I lived in an area like that outside of DC where too many people think their #### doesn't stink and I enjoyed moving here because I liked the people we met and hang out with, including yourself.By the way, you are right on the women. I wish my parents moved here when I was a kid! There's always a lot of "enhancements" being made at the local ball fields and Target.

And if you really want to see a mansion take a trip down Bonds Grove Church Rd sometime and check out Deloris Jordan's place.
No worries, just having fun with you. I've just been unfortunate to meet some folks like that all from Marvin. I lived in an area like that outside of DC where too many people think their #### doesn't stink and I enjoyed moving here because I liked the people we met and hang out with, including yourself.By the way, you are right on the women. I wish my parents moved here when I was a kid! There's always a lot of "enhancements" being made at the local ball fields and Target.
NP at all. We like it but we're on the cheap end.

But it is amazing how people are like that. We live across from the HOA president and he's frankly a #### but his wife is pretty normal and nice. So if he sees me he barely grunts a greeting but if my wife starts talking to his wife then it's suddenly like we're best friends. I just don't get that attitude but we've met enough people here like us to make it fun.

ConstruxBoy, on 03 Jun 2013 - 22:54, said:

stbugs, on 03 Jun 2013 - 12:19, said:

moleculo, on 03 Jun 2013 - 12:14, said:so it seems like local real estate is picking back up. Two houses in my hood just sold for asking price, being on the market for a month or less. Right now, based on the sales price of these houses, i'm probably back to very close to my original purchase price in 2008.
Houses in my neighborhood have been moving fine for a while now, but there is no more building. Another house just went under contract, seems like it is only taking a month or two for most houses. Price wise, I am definitely still down from 2006, but I also sold my old one for more than it was worth and put a lot more options (which I wouldn't recoup) in knowing we wanted to stay here for a long, long time. I see no changes in those plans, I can't imagine moving before my kids are all off to college, which is another 12 years, so that would be 20 years in the house before even thinking of going elsewhere. Hopefully the mortgage will be gone by then as well, so who knows.
We've had 5 houses sell on our street in the last 5 months, including neighbors on both sides. No longer living next to a Heisman trophy winner, unfortunately.
Geez, what did you do? By the way, who was it? I think the closest I ever came to a real interesting neighbor was our closest friends in VA who lived next to Stephen Davis when he was the starter for the Redskins. Amazingly enough, we all lived in Ashburn. Redskins everywhere. Always saw Art Monk jogging.Actually, the most famous run in there was Lorena Bobbitt who worked at a nail salon my wife went to a few times.

ConstruxBoy, on 03 Jun 2013 - 23:12, said:

stbugs, on 03 Jun 2013 - 23:07, said:

ConstruxBoy, on 03 Jun 2013 - 22:58, said:And if you really want to see a mansion take a trip down Bonds Grove Church Rd sometime and check out Deloris Jordan's place.
NP at all. We like it but we're on the cheap end.But it is amazing how people are like that. We live across from the HOA president and he's frankly a #### but his wife is pretty normal and nice. So if he sees me he barely grunts a greeting but if my wife starts talking to his wife then it's suddenly like we're best friends. I just don't get that attitude but we've met enough people here like us to make it fun.
I don't get it either, but be glad you aren't that way. It can't be fun to be like that. I like to think I can get a long with anyone from a billionaire like Larry Ellison (I was young and just in awe of him when I met him, pretty sure I didn't say much at all!) to guys in a welding equipment business I worked for during college. If you are a good person, it's pretty easy to have a good time having a beer and watching a game.

moleculo, on 03 Jun 2013 - 12:14, said:so it seems like local real estate is picking back up. Two houses in my hood just sold for asking price, being on the market for a month or less. Right now, based on the sales price of these houses, i'm probably back to very close to my original purchase price in 2008.
Geez, what did you do? By the way, who was it? I think the closest I ever came to a real interesting neighbor was our closest friends in VA who lived next to Stephen Davis when he was the starter for the Redskins. Amazingly enough, we all lived in Ashburn. Redskins everywhere. Always saw Art Monk jogging.Actually, the most famous run in there was Lorena Bobbitt who worked at a nail salon my wife went to a few times.
Gino Torretta. Thought he would be a meat head but a real nice guy. Would talk about his college days and everything. Nice daughter that would play with my girls and a wife who would work out in the garage in spandex with the garage door open alot. Needless to say, I did a lot of work in the garage when they were there.

And before you ask, no I did not sneak into the house, steal the Heisman and send it to Marshall Faulk. I thought about it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have never read this thread. I managed to get my home's tax value reduced one time, but my taxes are not at .38 or .68 for that matter.

Just looked it up(2012).

Mecklenburg County .7922

PLUS

Charlotte .437

Anybody want to buy a house?
You can thank NCComish's party of choice.

By the way, they are proposing .469 in 2014 and .478 2015 in addition to increases in water and sewer rates for Charlotte and close to .82 for the county.

Gino Torretta. Thought he would be a meat head but a real nice guy. Would talk about his college days and everything. Nice daughter that would play with my girls and a wife who would work out in the garage in spandex with the garage door open alot. Needless to say, I did a lot of work in the garage when they were there.And before you ask, no I did not sneak into the house, steal the Hiesman and send it to Marshall Faulk. I thought about it though.
Nice, work. You spooked his wife and they bolted! You need to work on your use of reflective surfaces. I can't believe he won the Heisman over Faulk. I looked up Toretta's stats and you wouldn't expect a guy averaging 56% completion rate, 250 yards and 1.5 TDs per game to win the Heisman. Pretty sure you wouldn't even get a tiny glance with those stats today.

I should have never read this thread. I managed to get my home's tax value reduced one time, but my taxes are not at .38 or .68 for that matter.

Just looked it up(2012).

Mecklenburg County .7922

PLUS

Charlotte .437

By the way, they are proposing .469 in 2014 and .478 2015 in addition to increases in water and sewer rates for Charlotte and close to .82 for the county.
Well, atleast we found the money for the ####### streetcar.

Just looked it up(2012).

Mecklenburg County .7922

PLUS

Charlotte .437

I hate that trolley.

Just looked it up(2012).

Mecklenburg County .7922

PLUS

Charlotte .437

has my answer

I should have never read this thread. I managed to get my home's tax value reduced one time, but my taxes are not at .38 or .68 for that matter. Just looked it up(2012). Mecklenburg County .7922PLUSCharlotte .437 Anybody want to buy a house?
You can thank NCComish's party of choice. By the way, they are proposing .469 in 2014 and .478 2015 in addition to increases in water and sewer rates for Charlotte and close to .82 for the county.
And Jerry's big screen scoreboard and escalators. Of course after paying for the redneck hof and the hip hop arena, it's only fair the rich white guy gets his handout too.

I should have never read this thread. I managed to get my home's tax value reduced one time, but my taxes are not at .38 or .68 for that matter. Just looked it up(2012). Mecklenburg County .7922PLUSCharlotte .437 Anybody want to buy a house?
You can thank NCComish's party of choice. By the way, they are proposing .469 in 2014 and .478 2015 in addition to increases in water and sewer rates for Charlotte and close to .82 for the county.
And Jerry's big screen scoreboard and escalators. Of course after paying for the redneck hof and the hip hop arena, it's only fair the rich white guy gets his handout too.
Actually Jerry will be leasing the screens from the city as a tax dodge. BTW I wouldn't have given him one dime and I really would miss the Panthers. But at some point someone has to say the emperor has no clothes and stop throwing public money at billion dollar businesses in a multi-billion dollar industry that can't really prove a significant economic impact beyond the junk science level.

I should have never read this thread. I managed to get my home's tax value reduced one time, but my taxes are not at .38 or .68 for that matter. Just looked it up(2012). Mecklenburg County .7922 PLUS Charlotte .437 Anybody want to buy a house?
Actually Jerry will be leasing the screens from the city as a tax dodge. BTW I wouldn't have given him one dime and I really would miss the Panthers. But at some point someone has to say the emperor has no clothes and stop throwing public money at billion dollar businesses in a multi-billion dollar industry that can't really prove a significant economic impact beyond the junk science level.
Oh and just to add hip hop arena? I missed that the first time. That was more than a tad racially charged. I am pretty sure that acts like Taylor Swift and Bon Jovi don't consider themselves hip hop BTW.

I should have never read this thread. I managed to get my home's tax value reduced one time, but my taxes are not at .38 or .68 for that matter. Just looked it up(2012). Mecklenburg County .7922 PLUS Charlotte .437 Anybody want to buy a house?
Oh and just to add hip hop arena? I missed that the first time. That was more than a tad racially charged. I am pretty sure that acts like Taylor Swift and Bon Jovi don't consider themselves hip hop BTW.
It wasn't meant to be all encompassing. Obviously all NASCAR fans and mgmt. aren't rednecks but that's the perception. I really don't recall if the ethnicity of the owners prompted the comment or not. The value of the Bobcats franchise has gone from $175m to $315m according to Forbes so Michael while not doing as well as jerry is doing OK. I haven't followed the baseball issue, but it looks like we are getting around to helping all the major sports.

It wasn't meant to be all encompassing. Obviously all NASCAR fans and mgmt. aren't rednecks but that's the perception. I really don't recall if the ethnicity of the owners prompted the comment or not. The value of the Bobcats franchise has gone from $175m to $315m according to Forbes so Michael while not doing as well as jerry is doing OK. I haven't followed the baseball issue, but it looks like we are getting around to helping all the major sports.
Yep. Apparently the new baseball stadium will open in less than 90 days.

May as well support soccer too if the city can get it out of the hands of that church so they can sell beer. Memorial Stadium would be a great locale and maybe a valid use of this streetcar...

May as well support soccer too if the city can get it out of the hands of that church so they can sell beer. Memorial Stadium would be a great locale and maybe a valid use of this streetcar...
What's this now?
The Charlotte Eagles play in the third-tier of US Soccer are owned by an organization called Missionary Atheletes International. There is no alcohol sold at the games as they are explicity focused on having a"family-friendly" environment. Minor league sports without alcohol are no bueno.

What's this now?
The Charlotte Eagles play in the third-tier of US Soccer are owned by an organization called Missionary Atheletes International. There is no alcohol sold at the games as they are explicity focused on having a"family-friendly" environment. Minor league sports without alcohol are no bueno.
I had no idea this even existed :bag:

What's this now?
I've gone to a few games when the team I pull for (Charleston Battery) comes into town. Very boring environment.

What's this now?
I've gone to a few games when the team I pull for (Charleston Battery) comes into town. Very boring environment.
Not a fan of the Eagles. They got us kicked out of the high school where we were playing Pop Warner games. Supposed to be a community use thing but they kept upping the money until they got a commitment to have the field to themselves all year, regardless of their schedule. Really sucked for us.

Yea, #### you all very muchSigned,

The guy who looks out his window at the now empty stadium in Fort Mill

What's this now?
Never heard about them either but I've been to plenty of athletic events & didn't drink. I can't believe that is the only thing holding them back from making the big time.

Yea, #### you all very muchSigned,

The guy who looks out his window at the now empty stadium in Fort Mill

What's this now?
Never heard about them either but I've been to plenty of athletic events & didn't drink. I can't believe that is the only thing holding them back from making the big time.
You guys have been ####### us for years w/o so much as a kiss. Can't say I'm to sorry about the empty stadium part.

So what does the area have to offer as far as things to do? I visited a couple of weeks ago, but was only there for a night...went to Macs Speed Shop for dinner...that place is gonna definitely be in my rotation. Delicious.

Looks like my move there at the end of the year is definitely gonna happen...my company is working on getting business there so I'll be able to keep my job, which is huge...not having to worry about employment is a major load off my mind.

You guys have been ####### us for years w/o so much as a kiss. Can't say I'm to sorry about the empty stadium part.
Why you gotta hate on poor little sister to the south GB? ;) Stadium is slated to become a transport depot. Sad to see it go because of convenience but in truth, they should have been gone a long time ago if not for some nut job lawyer in Charlotte who manged to delay the departure for about 6 years. Enjoy, new stadium looks badass.

So what does the area have to offer as far as things to do? I visited a couple of weeks ago, but was only there for a night...went to Macs Speed Shop for dinner...that place is gonna definitely be in my rotation. Delicious.

Looks like my move there at the end of the year is definitely gonna happen...my company is working on getting business there so I'll be able to keep my job, which is huge...not having to worry about employment is a major load off my mind.
A ton but I'll leave that to the locals. You could spend weeks exploring Uptown between the restaurants and historical stuff. Southpark is a good spot to go shop or Northlake mall depending on where you will be staying.

Macs is pretty good. As far as what is there to do what are you looking for? Outdoors there is just a ton. Locally you can start with the White Water Center. Kayaking, biking trails, wall climbs, etc. The mountains are pretty close. You can be gambling in Cherokee in 2 hours or so. Wife and I used to go to the Cherokee area a lot before she got sick. Lots of places to camp along the Parkway. And of course the beaches are close enough for a little weekend run. For more local indoor pursuits we have museums, live theater, opera and several restaurants in the uptown area that have earned Michelin stars. Not to mention all the bars and concerts in the area.

What's this now?
Not a fan of the Eagles. They got us kicked out of the high school where we were playing Pop Warner games. Supposed to be a community use thing but they kept upping the money until they got a commitment to have the field to themselves all year, regardless of their schedule. Really sucked for us.
Coincidentally, they announced a couple weeks back that the Charlotte Hounds (lacrosse franchise) has bought the rights to have Charlotte's USL team starting in 2015. They are planning to renovate Memorial Stadium for this with plans for an MLS bid if everything goes well. Doubt the latter would happen, but either way this is exciting news.

I have not been a big fan of the streetcar, but it will really be beneficial for these games. One thing I really lik.e about Charlotte is how the sports teams are moving towards City Center instead of away.

What's this now?
Coincidentally, they announced a couple weeks back that the Charlotte Hounds (lacrosse franchise) has bought the rights to have Charlotte's USL team starting in 2015. They are planning to renovate Memorial Stadium for this with plans for an MLS bid if everything goes well. Doubt the latter would happen, but either way this is exciting news.

I have not been a big fan of the streetcar, but it will really be beneficial for these games. One thing I really lik.e about Charlotte is how the sports teams are moving towards City Center instead of away.
Hadn't heard about that. We use Memorial Stadium for Pop Warner games right now. Those are the games that are on TV. The Panthers bring the whole crew and the kids get the NFL treatment. I hope this doesn't screw us on that. I would like to see Memorial fixed up though and if they manage to bailout the horrible streetcar at the same time then it isn't all bad..

Hadn't heard about that. We use Memorial Stadium for Pop Warner games right now. Those are the games that are on TV. The Panthers bring the whole crew and the kids get the NFL treatment. I hope this doesn't screw us on that. I would like to see Memorial fixed up though and if they manage to bailout the horrible streetcar at the same time then it isn't all bad..
That is really cool, hope you're right. If anything, the renovations should make that easier to have (for instance the facilities are not ADA compliant). The older plans I've seen mostly call for slightly reduced seating, a larger field, and more restrooms/concessions. There shouldn't be much conflict with the soccer season, which runs from late March to early September.

When I'm not working or playing a ton of video games I like to go out to eat/drink in the stretch of bars I live near just north of the Center City. There are a lot of trails just west of the city from Crowder's Mountain all the way into SC that I try to hike once a month or so. Seems like we have a lot of concerts coming through and there is often some sports to catch even more with the AAA team moving.

That is really cool, hope you're right. If anything, the renovations should make that easier to have (for instance the facilities are not ADA compliant). The older plans I've seen mostly call for slightly reduced seating, a larger field, and more restrooms/concessions. There shouldn't be much conflict with the soccer season, which runs from late March to early September.
Well Memorial does need the work hopefully it will be all good.

Thanks for the info so far...I had a few drinks at a place called Tavern on the Tracks not far from downtown....cool little place. I'll most likely be moving to the Belmont/Gastonia area

Thanks for the info so far...I had a few drinks at a place called Tavern on the Tracks not far from downtown....cool little place. I'll most likely be moving to the Belmont/Gastonia area
Any particular reason? Is that where your company is going to be?

My girlfriend lives there, which is why I'm moving....my company is in Alabama but Ill be working all over NC.

My girlfriend lives there, which is why I'm moving....my company is in Alabama but Ill be working all over NC.
Gotcha....good thing I didn't go shooting off my mouth before asking ;) :D

Lol....spill it. I need to know about the area. Gimmie the good, the bad, the ugly.

Lol....spill it. I need to know about the area. Gimmie the good, the bad, the ugly.
There are some nice places to live out there, but for the most part, it's a hick town on steroids. Old south mentality, lower income area (but not getto-ish), probably the least attractive place to live in this area.

There are some nice places to live out there, but for the most part, it's a hick town on steroids. Old south mentality, lower income area (but not getto-ish), probably the least attractive place to live in this area.
What do you know about Mount Holly?

There are some nice places in that area, but they are mixed in with good ole country bumpkin types. There was a point where it was the town vs the police back in the day. I think that's all been ironed out though. They don't make the news nearly as much as they used to :D

If you can get up that way, I'd try. It's a lot nicer IMO and you're closer to "stuff" like the outdoor water center, Lake Norman and once 485 is done between 77 and 85 you'll be able to get to Concord Mills (shopping, eating etc) a lot faster.

Higher income area, more things to do, closer to town then Gastonia, about the same distance from Charlotte as Belmont. Still a small town feel, but a lot less riff-raff..

Lot closer to Lake Norman, if you're into water play, boats, etc..

She lives in Mount Holly, I just didn't know if you guys knew anything about it since it sounded like a smaller town to me.

Eta thanks for the solid info, doods.

Users who are viewing this thread