What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charlotte, NC (1 Viewer)

I personally would rank Belmont and Gastonia very low on my list of places I'd want to live in this area. But Nothing is permanent right, you can always move.

Welcome to the area!

I personally would rank Belmont and Gastonia very low on my list of places I'd want to live in this area. But Nothing is permanent right, you can always move.

Welcome to the area!
Yeah...people generally bust on the Gaston county folks as not being real bright and poor. Most of the mills and mfg. was in that area. I lived in Lowell for a year back in 1992 and worked in Lowell in 1992 and 1996 to 1998 until Rock Hill bought off our executives and they moved the operation to Rock Hill.

Personally I thinks it's a better area than West Charlotte. If you're not going to be south, at the lake, or downtown; Belmont and Mt. Holly are probably as good as anywhere else.

Welcome to the area!
Yeah...people generally bust on the Gaston county folks as not being real bright and poor. Most of the mills and mfg. was in that area. I lived in Lowell for a year back in 1992 and worked in Lowell in 1992 and 1996 to 1998 until Rock Hill bought off our executives and they moved the operation to Rock Hill.

Personally I thinks it's a better area than West Charlotte. If you're not going to be south, at the lake, or downtown; Belmont and Mt. Holly are probably as good as anywhere else.
West Charlotte is pretty bad, I'd agree with you there...

But I'd prefer to live in:

South Charlotte

Matthews

Minthill

Indian Trail

Weddington

Wesley Chapel

Rock Hill

Fort Mill

Cornelius

Mount holly

Huntersville

Ballantyne

Rather than West Charlotte, or anything west of Charlotte..

Pineville isn't terrible, but no thanks to them either..

Not that Everything is bad out that way, i just think all said, these other places have a lot more to offer.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Charlotte visiting til tomorrow...just ate at a place called Pacos Tacos and Tequila on Morrison Blvd in South Park...awesome place. Also went to Pearsons Falls in Saluda earlier today...beautiful. Went exploring a bit and drove around...this city has a lot of really nice areas.

I'm strongly considering making the move here next year.

In Charlotte visiting til tomorrow...just ate at a place called Pacos Tacos and Tequila on Morrison Blvd in South Park...awesome place. Also went to Pearsons Falls in Saluda earlier today...beautiful. Went exploring a bit and drove around...this city has a lot of really nice areas.

Like the Paco's Tacos. Also Cantina 1511 and Zapata's are both pretty decent as well. If you want to see the real deal, Rock Hill SC is the place to visit :thumbup: We have a Sam's Club and everything.

Like the Paco's Tacos. Also Cantina 1511 and Zapata's are both pretty decent as well. If you want to see the real deal, Rock Hill SC is the place to visit :thumbup: We have a Sam's Club and everything.
Run. Far. Away.

Run. Far. Away.
Looks like a nice, clean place from the Interstate. :shrug:

I just received a job offer in Charlotte, NC and will be moving within the next 3 weeks or so. Was hoping to find some insight from any FBGers who might be in the area. A couple of bits of info. My job is based in Charlotte and for the first month I'll be provided corporate housing of some sort in that area. My wife will not be joining me here until late June as she finishes her job in PA and we sell the house there as well. Although my job is technically based in Charlotte, I am responsible for the entire state of NC in my coverage area. This is mostly split between Charlotte and Fayetteville, where there are offices I'd have to visit regularly. I'd expect about 35% of my time will be in Charlotte, 25% in Fayetteville, 15% in the various other portions of the state and 25% working from home. My wife can likely find a job anywhere in NC but is partial to the Greensboro area. Anyone have thoughts on where I should look to live? I'm not very versed in the geography, varying housing cost or just overall perks to any particular locations of the state right now. Any help would be great!
Seriously looking into Charlotte to relocate the family. :blackdot: Very interested in the weather down there to be honest. Because that's the main reason I want to leave Michigan. Also the schools and economy here is the pits.

C'mon on down, weather is great. About 85 today, everything is in bloom, it's a about the best time of year down here IMO.

Run. Far. Away.
Looks like a nice, clean place from the Interstate. :shrug:
Pay CB no mind. Though I will say....Rock Hill has it's "areas".

C'mon on down, weather is great. About 85 today, everything is in bloom, it's a about the best time of year down here IMO.
Get down here quick....in a couple days summer will be here and humidity over 80% until October!! I grew up in this crap and my body still isn't used to it. Wouldn't go anywhere else though.

I just received a job offer in Charlotte, NC and will be moving within the next 3 weeks or so. Was hoping to find some insight from any FBGers who might be in the area. A couple of bits of info. My job is based in Charlotte and for the first month I'll be provided corporate housing of some sort in that area. My wife will not be joining me here until late June as she finishes her job in PA and we sell the house there as well. Although my job is technically based in Charlotte, I am responsible for the entire state of NC in my coverage area. This is mostly split between Charlotte and Fayetteville, where there are offices I'd have to visit regularly. I'd expect about 35% of my time will be in Charlotte, 25% in Fayetteville, 15% in the various other portions of the state and 25% working from home. My wife can likely find a job anywhere in NC but is partial to the Greensboro area. Anyone have thoughts on where I should look to live? I'm not very versed in the geography, varying housing cost or just overall perks to any particular locations of the state right now. Any help would be great!
Seriously looking into Charlotte to relocate the family. :blackdot: Very interested in the weather down there to be honest. Because that's the main reason I want to leave Michigan. Also the schools and economy here is the pits.
Well it does get cold at times and we do get ice/snow here and there but nothing compared to what you are used to I am sure. The economy is looking pretty good in the region job growth seems steady and the housing market seems to be on the rise. Schools are better than people act like they are. Charlotte/Mecklenburg is one of the top rated school systems in the country for this size area.

Well it does get cold at times and we do get ice/snow here and there but nothing compared to what you are used to I am sure. The economy is looking pretty good in the region job growth seems steady and the housing market seems to be on the rise. Schools are better than people act like they are. Charlotte/Mecklenburg is one of the top rated school systems in the country for this size area.
Is this true?

People tend to consider Raleigh and Charlotte when they make the move to NC...while I am satisfied with Raleigh (and know little about Charlotte), I will tell you that the schools in Charlotte as a whole are better than those in Raleigh.

I've been in this area (NC/SC) my whole life and always had the impression that northern SC and western NC were where the "good" schools were, but you definitely wanted to be in NC for colleges. Every time I turn on anything or read anything about the area schools in NC it's negative but since my kids are in school here in SC, I've never really paid close attention to the details.

Is this true?
Last report I saw, which was a couple of years ago, rated Char/Meck as one of the top midsize urban school systems in the US. Not number one but in the top 10 IIRC.

I'd like to find an area that would be about the size of Appleton, WI (for reference). My wife and I both have degrees (I have an Computer degree I don't want or need and a business administration degree). She's got a business administration degree as well. She's currently doing office work in a paper mill but is union, not company. I've been flipping house for 4 years full time. I like doing the work but would need to establish myself down there before I can line up any type of banks or a solid crew.

Maybe it's just a dream but I'd love to move to where the weather is nice. I drove my 8 year old daughter to school today in -5 temps and -25 wind chills. #### that. I feel like they are going to move away anyway once they graduate because the UP (and Michigan as a whole) is a wasteland.

I'd like to find an area that would be about the size of Appleton, WI (for reference). My wife and I both have degrees (I have an Computer degree I don't want or need and a business administration degree). She's got a business administration degree as well. She's currently doing office work in a paper mill but is union, not company. I've been flipping house for 4 years full time. I like doing the work but would need to establish myself down there before I can line up any type of banks or a solid crew.

Maybe it's just a dream but I'd love to move to where the weather is nice. I drove my 8 year old daughter to school today in -5 temps and -25 wind chills. #### that. I feel like they are going to move away anyway once they graduate because the UP (and Michigan as a whole) is a wasteland.
Concord NC is a nice city about 30-45min from Charlotte and about same size as Appleton.

Thanks palmersteel. Concord does look very nice. It always blows my mind to see houses like they have listed in Concord costing about the same per square foot as houses around where I live. It's crazy. Because there are no jobs around here, most professionals relocate, and there is just a ton of real estate available.

For instance this house is as nice or nicer than where I live right now. How's this area?

Last edited by a moderator:

Concord NC is a nice city about 30-45min from Charlotte and about same size as Appleton.
Rock Hill SC is a little smaller in population but a little larger in region than Appleton. There's also plenty of opportunity down here to do the flip thing...I've thought about getting away from my desk job and doing it for years, but I just don't know how to accumulate a crew that I can trust, otherwise I'd be all in. Fort Mill is another consideration, though it's growing at a ridiculous rate and traffic on the country roads is a PITA now. Both are just across the NC/SC border so you don't have to pay the NC taxes.

Thanks palmersteel. Concord does look very nice. It always blows my mind to see houses like they have listed in Concord costing about the same per square foot as houses around where I live. It's crazy. Because there are no jobs around here, most professionals relocate, and there is just a ton of real estate available.

For instance this house is as nice or nicer than where I live right now. How's this area?
If you think that is cheap, check out Rock Hill or Gastonia.

Rock Hill SC is a little smaller in population but a little larger in region than Appleton. There's also plenty of opportunity down here to do the flip thing...I've thought about getting away from my desk job and doing it for years, but I just don't know how to accumulate a crew that I can trust, otherwise I'd be all in. Fort Mill is another consideration, though it's growing at a ridiculous rate and traffic on the country roads is a PITA now. Both are just across the NC/SC border so you don't have to pay the NC taxes.
The way I do it up here is be selective about the jobs I take and do much of the work myself. No crew, no car problems, no baby mamas to deal with, no shoddy work, no problems.

Like I said in the other thread, come down here for an extended weekend or a week if you can, hook up with Brass N Brew for the real estate tour or some of the other locals and experience the area. There are FBG's all over the area, just fire up the bat signal. Ton of opportunity here and home prices are heading up so it's not going to get cheaper. Ideally come in March-April when the weather still blows goats in MI and everything here is turning green and the temps are awesome. You'll move that week.

I don't want to get into a dicey area at all.

Like I said in the other thread, come down here for an extended weekend or a week if you can, hook up with Brass N Brew for the real estate tour or some of the other locals and experience the area. There are FBG's all over the area, just fire up the bat signal. Ton of opportunity here and home prices are heading up so it's not going to get cheaper. Ideally come in March-April when the weather still blows goats in MI and everything here is turning green and the temps are awesome. You'll move that week.
Home prices heading up is actually great for me as a flipper.

Area's good....in Concord you'll find several old school neighborhoods mixed in with country side like houses. I haven't been up there in a while, but there weren't a ton of McMansion kinds of neighborhoods, but I figure it's only a matter of time. That area is actually Harrisburg proper, I think but it's close to UNCC, Concord Mills (shopping...leave that to you to determine +/- ) the CLT Motor Speedway etc.

Then don't go to G-Town :D

Then don't go to G-Town :D
Concord is probably the nicest of these suburbs (check Huntersville too), but I don't consider Rock Hill or Gastonia dicey at all. A little more country maybe. Belmont always seems like a nice place.

I'm definitely looking for a lower crime area. That would probably be right alongside school district. I don't mind driving a little bit to work. I'm looking for an upper middle/upper middle class type neighborhood.

When you guys are talking about tax differences between North and South Carolina, what kind of differences are we talking about? I currently pay about 3k per year in property tax up here in BFA

We don't need anymore colors around here unless it's black and blue. You can leave the puke and poop in Appleton.

When you guys are talking about tax differences between North and South Carolina, what kind of differences are we talking about? I currently pay about 3k per year in property tax up here in BFA
$3k on how much?

Off the top of my head I'm at $1400 on $100K

$3k on how much?

Assessed at like $175.
A little cheaper here. Of course the number I gave you is for Meck County plus Charlotte. You can cut that significantly by going to any of the surrounding counties and staying out of the city limits.

You can find school info here http://www.ncreportcards.org/src/

How much capital do you have to work with? This is a tough flipping market IMO. People don't like old homes here. The old homes are mostly cheap and hard to find buyers. There's some opportunities in the foreclosure market for small gains on the newer stuff.

$3k on how much?

Assessed at like $175.
A little cheaper here. Of course the number I gave you is for Meck County plus Charlotte. You can cut that significantly by going to any of the surrounding counties and staying out of the city limits.

You can find school info here http://www.ncreportcards.org/src/
A little cheaper there is kind of crazy to me and indicates that my taxes are way out of whack. This place is kind of a ####hole. Seeing the Meth starting to creep in now.

How much capital do you have to work with? This is a tough flipping market IMO. People don't like old homes here. The old homes are mostly cheap and hard to find buyers. There's some opportunities in the foreclosure market for small gains on the newer stuff.
The upside of that is I don't mind an old home so I could purchase and renovate and live in one for a reasonable price. I'm not married to flipping houses either. I have a Business Adminstration degree and so does my wife. I could work in the "real world" again without a problem.

I have a friend doing major business in the Dilworth area. She doesn't have the bandwidth to take advantage of the opportunities. That said, there's a significant outlay of dough for those homes initially compared to standard flips. While we were in Fort Mill, we were paying around $2500 on $410K....In Rock Hill folks are paying both city and county takes of about $3500 on just a little bit more than $430K

Around here, my wheelhouse is the 2/3 bedroom and 2/3 bath houses. I buy for around 20k-30k, stick about 10-20k into them and sell for around 55-60k. Make about 15k per and do around 4-6 per year.

Users who are viewing this thread