What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LeGarrette Blount signs with NE (1 Viewer)

Bill knew he couldn't run Blount vs that Jets D line. Just like he knew he would run all over Indy. Bill has got to be the best coach in NFL history in terms of completely changing his offense based on his opponents weaknesses/his own players' injuries. It's insane that they can run their offense so differently and it's still always good.

While the Pats won the game, you have to question the decision to completely avoid the run. They ran the ball 5 times. The Jets were able to pin their ears back and get after Brady. They sacked him 3 times, I'm not sure how many times he was under pressure/hit. It worked, so I guess it was the right decision, but for much of the game, NE was in danger of losing that game. The threat of a rush attempt might have helped.

While the Pats won the game, you have to question the decision to completely avoid the run. They ran the ball 5 times. The Jets were able to pin their ears back and get after Brady. They sacked him 3 times, I'm not sure how many times he was under pressure/hit. It worked, so I guess it was the right decision, but for much of the game, NE was in danger of losing that game. The threat of a rush attempt might have helped.
Naw, I disagree. See above post.

They would have ran into a wall against that line. They played the game they needed to to win.

Naw, I disagree. See above post.

They would have ran into a wall against that line. They played the game they needed to to win.
You're welcome to disagree, and you might be right, too.

That being said, it's easy to say, after the game is over, and the Pats did squeak out a win, that the strategy was sound.

The fact is that if you make yourself completely one-sided, you make things easier for the "D," and for 3 quarters, BB's plan to do nothing but pass had the Jets in the game.

The pass wasn't working either until late. Brady wasn't even close to his normal standards. Perhaps if the Jets D hadn't been able to just completely ignore the idea of defending the run, Brady might have had more success.

They did it against Baltimore AND Seattle in the playoffs last year.

The oline is not good enough to support the run against a good dline.

Gameplan specific, Blount will be fine, hopefully Lewis will be back this Thursday the Dolphins look to be rallying. Get some OL pieces back and a more balanced approach will be back on the table.

Last edited by a moderator:
So is this a Blount week against MIA? It really doesn't matter if D. Lewis plays based on last week - NE is going to have a plan to either be balanced or completely give up on the running game.

Any thoughts on Blount's usage this week?

I'm starting him in one league, but I don't think it is. If Lewis is active I think Blount might actually get more touches with the offense performing better.

I think that I am skipping him this week. Not really sure what to expect with the new Dolphins. Last week's game was out of hand so early and the prior week was a blowout against Tennessee who seems fairly challenged at running the ball. That plus it being Thursday night gives me a lot of uncertainty about the game flow, which is not what I want if I am going to start Blount.

I think I'm going to sit him this week - I'm the favorite in my matchup this week so I'll start someone with a higher floor.

Shouldn't NE pummel Miami? Seems like Blount should be decent. My only alternative is--gulp--spiller. It is ppr though...
Miami under old coach yes. Under interim coach, they are scoring mad points. But then just maybe, Brainiac Bill decides to slow the O and run the ball 60% of the time to keep Miami off the field. It could happen...

I'm starting Blount tonight against the guy starting Lewis. This could be a huge swing game for our matchup this week. My only other option is Hyde vs. the Rams D. No thanks...

I am thinking and debating (I Know, no one cares)

Have both and don't know if I should start both RBs or neither . . .

Is Miami that much improved since the coaching change??

I am thinking and debating (I Know, no one cares)

Have both and don't know if I should start both RBs or neither . . .

Is Miami that much improved since the coaching change??
they are certainly playing inspired football. I suppose they could keep it tight, but the Dolphins are used to getting beat in New England. If it becomes 14-0 early on, mentally, the Phins could slide into believing they just don't belong on the field with them. It's easy to play with swag when you're beating up on Tennessee and Houston. If they can hang with The Pats in Foxboro, then they should extend Campbell's contract immediately.

With Chris Ivory's upgrade to probable, I'm sitting Blount tonight, with the intention to start Ivory at Oakland on Sunday.

I'll be watching RB snap counts tonight with interest. :popcorn:

Maybe next week against Washington...

TheFanatic said:
Shouldn't NE pummel Miami? Seems like Blount should be decent. My only alternative is--gulp--spiller. It is ppr though...
Miami under old coach yes. Under interim coach, they are scoring mad points. But then just maybe, Brainiac Bill decides to slow the O and run the ball 60% of the time to keep Miami off the field. It could happen...

I'm starting Blount tonight against the guy starting Lewis. This could be a huge swing game for our matchup this week. My only other option is Hyde vs. the Rams D. No thanks...
The guy benched Lewis and I went with Blount. I'm VERY happy with that. Particularly since it's a PPR.

Steeler said:
thatguythere said:
Last 5 games at NE vs Miami

Rushing attempts for NE

Wish I saw this post before the game started :kicksrock:

Good call to those who started Blount today.
LOL how did that blount work out for you.... He will be irrelevant for the majority of the year lewis is THE GUY. Kid is amazing and if you refuse to see it well then you have to be blind :shrug:

Steeler said:
thatguythere said:

Rushing attempts for NE

LOL how did that blount work out for you.... He will be irrelevant for the majority of the year lewis is THE GUY. Kid is amazing and if you refuse to see it well then you have to be blind :shrug:
I really never have understood the need for posts like this. Dion Lewis has his own thread, what is your point...? That you are smarter than everyone in this thread? That you played the right guy in your fantasy league?

You didn't post this at recess did you?

Steeler said:
thatguythere said:

Rushing attempts for NE

I really never have understood the need for posts like this. Dion Lewis has his own thread, what is your point...? That you are smarter than everyone in this thread? That you played the right guy in your fantasy league?

Especially after Blount had a good game. Blount is Ridley/Green-Ellis and Lewis is Vareen/Woodhead. Both have value. Both will have their big games and average games. The need for some people to re-enter threads for an 'I told you so' is a sad trait. Tells a lot about the need to finally be right about something in life.

Steeler said:
thatguythere said:

Rushing attempts for NE

Especially after Blount had a good game. Blount is Ridley/Green-Ellis and Lewis is Vareen/Woodhead. Both have value. Both will have their big games and average games. The need for some people to re-enter threads for an 'I told you so' is a sad trait. Tells a lot about the need to finally be right about something in life.
Hey Lewis looks freaking awesome. That doesn't mean they aren't using Blount, we just have to be able to figure out when he won't be used at all. It's sucks, but that's the way it is with new England right now. Even the WR's.

When the cold weather hits I will bet Blount is used as a battering ram.

Sooner or later people learn being right isn't all it's cracked up to be. Especially when you need to remind people. I think there's a word for that.

Despite Belichick's reputation for erratic handling of RBs, since NE acquired Blount his role seems predictable. Against teams with average to bad run defenses, Blount's floor is 50-80 yards and maybe a 50/50 chance at a TD. Every once in a while, Blount will give you the monster game (like against the Colts, and bad teams with bad run defenses). Against a team with a good run defense, be prepared for Blount to give you nothing.

Steeler said:
thatguythere said:

Rushing attempts for NE

So much wrong with this post.

I started Lewis in all the leagues where I owned him last night.

But in the leagues were I have Blount and not Lewis, my feelings on Lewis are irrelevant. I have to determine if NE is going to consider the upcoming game a "Blount Game" or not. I would like to start Blount in every Blount Game and that information would have led me to put him in my lineup had I seen it before the game started. Especially if you consider that Blount started the game and at the time I made that post he had already amassed ~25 yards on the first drive. At the point I made the post it looked like Blount was going to have a monster game.

In addition, your post is applying 100% hindsight. I stand by the statement that I would have started Blount had I seen those stats before the game because it was a good indication Blount would be used a lot - you know, a "Blount Game". I'm not in the business of 2nd guessing myself based on the results - you gotta make the best decision based on the information you have before the game.

Blount has now played in 32 games in NE. He had 0 TDs in 21 of them and at least 1 TD in 11 of them. He's had 7 games with two or more TDs with a total of 18 scores in those 7 games. That's the draw to playing Blount. He will have weeks against soft run defenses or games with a lot of goal line work and can score a ton of fantasy points on 1 or 2 yard TD runs.

Steeler said:
thatguythere said:

Rushing attempts for NE

But in the leagues were I have Blount and not Lewis, my feelings on Lewis are irrelevant. I have to determine if NE is going to consider the upcoming game a "Blount Game" or not. I would like to start Blount in every Blount Game and that information would have led me to put him in my lineup had I seen it before the game started. Especially if you consider that Blount started the game and at the time I made that post he had already amassed ~25 yards on the first drive. At the point I made the post it looked like Blount was going to have a monster game.

In addition, your post is applying 100% hindsight. I stand by the statement that I would have started Blount had I seen those stats before the game because it was a good indication Blount would be used a lot - you know, a "Blount Game". I'm not in the business of 2nd guessing myself based on the results - you gotta make the best decision based on the information you have before the game.
Listen, guy, his name is RealReactions, not RealPredictions.

Steeler said:
thatguythere said:

Rushing attempts for NE

Listen, guy, his name is RealReactions, not RealPredictions.
haha. Good point. Although I'd suggest trollreaction

Steeler said:
thatguythere said:

Rushing attempts for NE

Honestly, the results were fine anyway. He could have easily had a TD and all the Blount people would be crowing. He had pretty good usage. That's all that you can hope for and if he gets that, it is a good decision, I think.

Hey Lewis looks freaking awesome. That doesn't mean they aren't using Blount, we just have to be able to figure out when he won't be used at all. It's sucks, but that's the way it is with new England right now. Even the WR's.

When the cold weather hits I will bet Blount is used as a battering ram.

Sooner or later people learn being right isn't all it's cracked up to be. Especially when you need to remind people. I think there's a word for that.
This!

Lewis in essentially 6 games has 77 touches (45 on the ground and 32 in the air)

Blount in essentially 6 games has 72 touches (69 on the ground and 3 in the air)

Blount often faces the stacked box on obvious running plays and Lewis gets the lots of dump offs. Come the frigid weather and there may be more and more of Blount and the scales might skew the other way here.

ponchsox said:
Where do you rank Blount if Lewis has a serious injury? Top 10 ROS?
white was inactive yesterday, but he will fill the Lewis role. He's not the weapon that Lewis is, but I wouldn't assume Blount becomes a 25 carry per game guy. New England is the ultimate 'next man up' team. They aren't going to vastly alter what they want to do.

No discussion about tomorrow's game?

Interesting to see what happens with Lewis out.

Also, the OL seems to be in shambles.

Thoughts???

I would have to think that he is definitely an RB2 with RB1 upside.

Giants defense is terrible and I would be surprised not to see a pretty heavy dose of Blount

Pats OL has been in shambles all year and Blount has run well.

Users who are viewing this thread