What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jordan Reed - TE - SF (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Jordan Reed is "day to day" with a hamstring injury.

Here we go again. Coach Jay Gruden described the injury as merely "soreness," but any hamstring issue is notable for a player who has battled as many of them as Reed. He'll presumably miss Thursday's preseason opener against Cleveland. Reed has ample pass-catching talent, but simply can't stay on the field. It's for that fact that Gruden recently called Niles Paul a more complete player.

Related: Niles Paul

Source: Redskins on Twitter

Aug 11 - 3:50 PM

If Reed can get healthy, tons of opportunity here with Paul going down last night...
Always the million dollar question but yeah.

I think I might go cheap with a Jordan Reed/Vernon Davis type combo this year and, for the price, have a legit shot of stars aligning and having a TE1 for a very small price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shutout said:
JFS171 said:
If Reed can get healthy, tons of opportunity here with Paul going down last night...
Always the million dollar question but yeah.

I think I might go cheap with a Jordan Reed/Vernon Davis type combo this year and, for the price, have a legit shot of stars aligning and having a TE1 for a very small price.
Honest question: If you have to spend two spots on your TE, doesn't that mean it's not a "very small price", since you're giving up the opportunity cost of that second pick?

I'm pulling these numbers out of my rear, but let's say you get Reed and Davis at 8 and 10, respectively. How does the value of those two picks compare to, say, Olsen in the 5th? Is there a Jimmy Johnson-type chart for fantasy picks?

@MikeJonesWaPo: Gruden says Logan Paulsen will have surgery on toe monday, out for the year.

Redskin TE's dropping like flies. First Niles Paul and then Logan Paulsen. Reed last man standing?

Rotoworld:

Jordan Reed (hamstring) has been ruled out for Thursday's preseason game against the Lions.

Reed has been "day to day" for a week. Coach Jay Gruden says Reed's Thursday absence isn't merely a precaution, and that he wouldn't be ready to go were it the regular season. It's troubling news for a player whose career has continually been derailed by hamstring issues. The next test for Reed will be Washington's regular season dress rehearsal in 11 days. The pressure on Reed to stay healthy has amped up considerably after Niles Paul landed on injured reserve.

Source: Mike Jones on Twitter

Aug 18 - 6:16 PM

Can someone remind me, was it Reed who got tons of targets from one QB but not the other last year? Am I remembering correctly that Cousins absolutely loved him and RG3 ignored him?

Can someone remind me, was it Reed who got tons of targets from one QB but not the other last year? Am I remembering correctly that Cousins absolutely loved him and RG3 ignored him?
He got hurt early in week 1 and didn't return until week 6. RG3 was out week 2 - 9. Upon his return, he did not feed Reed. His biggest games came with Cousins and McCoy at the helm aside from week 17 when RG3 played well and hit Reed for 9/70 in a rout of the Cowboys.

• John Keim, ESPN Staff Writer
  • ASHBURN, Va. – The Washington Redskins, already thin at tight end, might rely on two players Sunday who have been in town for less than a month – combined.
But if Tom Compton isn’t available to play Sunday because of a calf injury, then the Redskins might need to use newly signed Anthony McCoy sooner than anticipated. The Redskins signed McCoy Monday. They also have holdover Jordan Reed and Derek Carrier, whom they traded for last month.

Compton, a tackle, doubles as a tight end in blocking situations.

If Compton can’t play, then the Redskins would use Ty Nsekhe as the backup swing tackle and possibly McCoy as a third tight end.

“We’ve got to see if we can get him ready to play mentally. We’re throwing a lot at him,” Redskins coach Jay Gruden said of McCoy.

For Carrier, Gruden said the transition has been easier because he came from a similar offensive system in San Francisco.

“But there are some subtle differences in techniques, how you block outside zone, inside zone and some of the pass concepts,” Gruden said. “But he has picked it up quite well.”

That, of course, puts a greater burden on Reed, whose durability has been a problem the first two seasons. He’s missed a combined 12 games his first two seasons.

“We’re counting on Jordan quite a bit,” Gruden said. “His body is stronger; he’s in great shape. … We’re a little concerned [about the position] but Jordan is up for a lot of reps. We still have to protect him a little bit. He can’t play the whole 70-80 plays of the game. We have to get Carrier going and if McCoy can go, get him going.”
I'm pretty thin at TE in dynasty. I've got Hill in there right now. This article makes me think I should go with Reed...

I had my my eye on Jordan in a short-roster 12 team league.

A guy just dropped Coby Fleener for Reed. :shock:
Opportunity is there. Talent is there. I just haven't been sure that he is healthy to be a full-go until this article. It may not last long, but ride it while you can.

I had my my eye on Jordan in a short-roster 12 team league.

A guy just dropped Coby Fleener for Reed. :shock:
Opportunity is there. Talent is there. I just haven't been sure that he is healthy to be a full-go until this article. It may not last long, but ride it while you can.
Of the holy ff trinity of talent, opportunity, and health, health is the one nobody can control or change. If the other two are there, you roll with it every time.

Aaron Rodgers, as great as he is, was nothing in FF until opportunity came along. You have to give deference top opportunity when it exists.

11 targets, 7 reception for 63 yards and a TD. 2 RZ targets. I think it needs to be reiterated, as long as Reed is healthy he's a no-brainer TE1.

11 targets, 7 reception for 63 yards and a TD. 2 RZ targets. I think it needs to be reiterated, as long as Reed is healthy he's a no-brainer TE1.
For sure. Beware however that he had a couple major screw-ups in this game that could get him in the coaches doghouse. He had multiple penalties and also, by the HC's own admission, ran the wrong route at the end of the game that *could* (though who knows) have been a TD.

I don't think this team, without Desean or even really an experienced backup TE, can afford to "punish" him for these mistakes, but I just want to put this out there in case he's for some reason not a big part of the game plan next week. I'm sure he will be, and as a receiver he looked awesome.

Anyone else have both Reed and Rudolph? I'm gonna pick the wrong guy every week.... no doubt about it.
Not a bad combo assuming they plan their injuries with you so that one is always healthy. That's one where you change your lineup 6 times on gameday and then when Reed blows up you're pumped only to realize the last lineup you submitted had Rudy.

Anyone else have both Reed and Rudolph? I'm gonna pick the wrong guy every week.... no doubt about it.
Think I would just go Reed every week until he gets hurt.
So you're saying just start him in week 2?
First quarter only. Then make a switch. That's the shark move.

I hope he stays healthy. He is obviously a great talent when he can play. Reshad Jones is a very good player and he abused him a few times Sunday.

For sure. Beware however that he had a couple major screw-ups in this game that could get him in the coaches doghouse. He had multiple penalties and also, by the HC's own admission, ran the wrong route at the end of the game that *could* (though who knows) have been a TD.

I don't think this team, without Desean or even really an experienced backup TE, can afford to "punish" him for these mistakes, but I just want to put this out there in case he's for some reason not a big part of the game plan next week. I'm sure he will be, and as a receiver he looked awesome.
Both of the penalties you speak of were egregious (according to Chris Cooley on his DC radio show yesterday). He did, though, mention the wrong route thing you brought up.

I have Rudolph but was thinking of cutting him for Reed. Not enough space for both, but the injury history scares me. Seems like I should go with the guy who has the most upside and if he gets hurt, then so be it and just pick up someone from the scrap heap.

I have Rudolph but was thinking of cutting him for Reed. Not enough space for both, but the injury history scares me. Seems like I should go with the guy who has the most upside and if he gets hurt, then so be it and just pick up someone from the scrap heap.
I'm keeping both. Rudolph had a good game, and would have been better if Bridgewater hadn't played such a bad game. He still logged 5/53 on 7 targets. Not bad considering the team only ran 56 offensive plays and saw the redzone all of two plays.

sonofa....

My TE trio of Gates, Delanie Walker & Reed could get a total of 0 pts this week.

Anybody notice how soft Reed looks? I don't mean brittle, I mean the guy has no muscle tone. He's prolly one of those super talented guys who gets by on talent alone.

Redskins coach Jay Gruden calls Jordan Reed's quad issue "minor."
(RotoWire)Although Reed was limited in practice Thursday due to a quadriceps strain, head coach Jay Gruden believes that the ailment isn't severe, CSN Mid-Atlantic reports. "He just had a little tweak today," Gruden clarified. "I think it's minor. We just held him out of a period or two."

Analysis: Considering Reed's jam-packed medical chart, any injury is cause for concern, but Gruden has done his best to allay fears that the current quad concern will be a hindrance Sunday versus the Rams. With DeSean Jackson (hamstring) out of the picture for a few weeks and no other tight end viable enough to steal snaps consistently, Reed's value should sustain itself, barring a setback. In Week 1, Reed displayed a nice rapport with Kirk Cousins, gathering in seven of 11 targets for 63 yards and a touchdown.

Anybody notice how soft Reed looks? I don't mean brittle, I mean the guy has no muscle tone. He's prolly one of those super talented guys who gets by on talent alone.
actually, I just noticed that yesterday in Google images (no homo). Guys arms look like DeSean Jackson.
That's pretty tiny for a man, but pretty large for arms. :P

Luckily, I don't have to rely on Reed, as I have Delanie W....hmm...well this weekend could suck.

I hope it's them being super cautious, but there's usually a reason people get bad raps.

One good week and he's already hurt. :lmao:

I picked him up so he's gonna put up 2 points this week, just warning you. TEs hate me.

Sep 18, 2015 11:59 AM ET

Redskins TE Jordan Reed working early Friday

Redskins tight end Jordan Reed (quad) participated in individual drills Friday, per Mike Jones of the Washington Post.It's not clear if Reed will get in a limited or full practice, but his presence on the field bodes well for his chances of playing in Week 2. The Redskins will provide an update on his status when they release their final injury report of the week Friday afternoon.

Shark move is to reap one good week out of him on Sunday before he gets hurt again, and is thrown back into the waiver pile.

People been hyping this guy for years but you can never count on him. He'll have one good game in a four week span at best

Heath Miller is a boring option but was still available in a lot of leagues. I'd rather roll with him

People been hyping this guy for years but you can never count on him. He'll have one good game in a four week span at best

Heath Miller is a boring option but was still available in a lot of leagues. I'd rather roll with him
i don't think you mean his play though? When on the field he dominates--it's the whole being made of maxy pads and pixie dust that holds his value down.

i don't think you mean his play though? When on the field he dominates--it's the whole being made of maxy pads and pixie dust that holds his value down.
Not really- he has 4 TDs in his career, including 0 last season.

rg3

Reed (quad) said he will definitely play in Sunday's game against the Rams, even though he is listed as questionable, The Washington Post reports. "Yeah, I'm going to play," Reed said. "One hundred percent."

rg3
That may be the (a) reason, but it doesn't change the fact that he doesn't dominate when on the field.

Users who are viewing this thread